Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 587)

Showing posts 11,721 - 11,740 of21,376
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no separation of church and state. It is nowhere mentioned in the Constitution. It is a figment of secular imagination....
Actually there is no "god" in the constitution and the only mention of religion is the "no religious test" to hold office clause.

The, of course there's the very 1st Amendment. But wait ... there's more --

June 7, 1797 -“The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion”~ unanimously approved by the Senate and signed by President John Adams

1863 - President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of Thanksgiving

1870 - Christmas was declared a federal holiday by Congress

1881 - Chester A. Arthur swearing in ceremony is the first documented response of "so help me god" (not a part of the official oath of office).

1890 - "The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation." ~ Elizabeth Cady Stanton

April 17, 1952 - President Harry S. Truman signed a bill proclaiming a National Day of Prayer must be declared by each following president at an appropriate date of his choice.(In 1988, the law was amended so that the National Day of Prayer would be held on the first Thursday of May.)

June 14, 1954 - "god" was added to the pledge, changing us from “one nation indivisible” into one nation divided by god.

July 30, 1956 - "god" was added as our national motto and officially put on our money (I still prefer e pluribus unum [out of many we become one], which is what it was when I was born).

August 27, 1987 –“No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God.”~ George H. W. Bush

2001 - White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives (OFBCI) established.

And the more religion gets intertwined with our government, the more divisive our country becomes. But this is what the Catholic church has been trying to do since we established our secular government. You do know that it was the lobbying efforts of the largest Catholic fraternity in the world (Knights of Columbus) that got "god" added to our pledge and replaced our motto.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Putting tinfoil on a turd still makes it a turd. Perhaps you can buy a DVD your preacher is hawking eh?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I speak about the UK, which is what I know best.
Churches, like the Church of England, have to maintain the many buildings they own.
They have to provide a stipendary (wages) for their clercy.
They have to subsidide parishes, pay gas, water and electricity bills and other expenses.
They support their own education centers for priesthood.
They finance their media, publish books, pamphlets, CD, DVD, educational material, etc...
Churches also financially support charities, their own and others too.
Churches conduct pastoral duties towards the hospitals, the hospices, the retirement homes, the prisons, the schools, the universities, etc...
I think the public purse is better off exempting churches from taxations than having to support them!
Just look at Germany, where the churches are state supported, and clerics paid by the government, it's an outcry every year when the collossal bill is discussed at the Bundestag! Church goers in Germany pay a special tax to finance the religious expenses afforded by the country. It's an endless subject of discord.
I much prefer the British system. We don't pay for churches, they are financed by voluntary contributions, taxations and the gestion of their portfolio.
I cannot comment about the USA.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Great post! Hey how about we don't tell them how to eat their Jew zombie flesh and gulp Jew zombie blood and they in turn leave science and secular humanism alone.

Sounds fair to me.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Beofre you proceed any further, you should probably know that secularists don't accept scientific opinions from theists - just from the consensus of experts in good standing in the relevant scientific fields. If the experts say that the theory of evolution is sound and valid science, then the issue is settled until and unless they say otherwise. You and your church have no vote.
But don't go feeling picked on! It's not just theists that the scientists ignore. If rodeo clowns were to say that "scientific peer review [is] ultimately tilted towards positive results," nobody would bat an eye at that, right? So why should it be different when you theists say it? It shouldn't.
Likewise, if a consortium of crack whores were to publish a position paper saying, "researchers engage in significance chasing," nobody would care about that, either - right? Can you see why that makes sense? It's not just you.
Likewise, nobody cares what NAMBLA, Domino's Pizza, or the NFL have to say about evolution, either. Not a one of them has a say or gets a vote on what constitutes good science. So please don't feel discriminated against.
If it comforts you to know, my lay opinion doesn't matter to the experts either, even though I happen to agree with them.
So where do you think that the opinions of theists rank relative to those of the clowns, whores and pedophiles? Not surprisingly, it's beneath all of them. Why?
Whereas crack whores and rodeo clowns are merely unqualified to contradict the experts, the theists actually have an agenda to subvert science, which places their opinions just a tad lower.
You have zero standing in the Great Conversation.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

What is the proper amount of god-stuff in the blood?

Do tell us more about this new finding of yours that we are all made of known as god-stuff.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Lame attempts at comedy won't disquise the fact that science doesn't have an answer.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You can have 50 conclusions, but it does nothing to eliminate selective reporting where researchers make subtle omissions and misperceptions as they try and explain their results in as favorable a light as possible to ensure future grant money.
You are right, the "Experts" are very adept at what they present as "Most probable explanation" for the observed facts.

Just by doing that, so many "theories" and "half cooked ideas" have been taken as "proven facts".

Just look at the TOE and wonder, how little we actually know and how big claims have been made about it!!

And every one believes that TOE is an "established scientific theory"!!
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually there is no "god" in the constitution and the only mention of religion is the "no religious test" to hold office clause.
The, of course there's the very 1st Amendment. But wait ... there's more --
If there is no "god' in US constitution, how come it appeared on "Every Dollar Bill"?

Who put it there?

Devil?

Or Jews that control Federal Reserve which Prints all the money?

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is no "god' in US constitution, how come it appeared on "Every Dollar Bill"?
Who put it there?
Devil?
Or Jews that control Federal Reserve which Prints all the money?
Are you saying that God is in the constitution?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
Christians have been trying to save the world for Jesus for 2,000 years and they haven't succeeded yet. What are you afraid of?
Nothing. Your church has done nothing for the world that it couldn't have done better without it.

It's our turn. You Christians can be gracious about it, stand down, and wish us well, or the process can be more like this thread.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
To believe that the universe just happened for no particular reason takes faith.
We reject faith.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
And how has the so called wild imaginings of the religious hurt science, or you for that matter?
“We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake.”- Catherine Fahringer

Your church has been waging a war against science since it first met it. You're here to damage science now.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you are alive and well in a country that guarantes the freedom to practice or not to practice religion. Nobody is going to kill you for religious heresy.
<quoted text>
Better society? There can be no moral progress in an amoral secular society and this is reflected in the media....the glorification of violence, a lack of respect for living things, an obsession with sex makes human intimacy seem profane. Family values have changed considerably under the influence of secularism ( a "me" oriented society), producing a crop of undisciplined children who lack compassion and manners, and have no respect for authority.
At the moment we have not reached the conditions of the Bible belt like the southern parts of the US, in Europe. But we are on their way to it

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
Then live and let live.
People are in no danger - just Christian institutions and Christian cultural hegemony. This is a culture war - you know, like the one you were waging when you were conflating secular humanists with Mao and Pol Pot and science with faith.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you are alive and well in a country that guarantes the freedom to practice or not to practice religion. Nobody is going to kill you for religious heresy.
<quoted text>
Better society? There can be no moral progress in an amoral secular society and this is reflected in the media....the glorification of violence, a lack of respect for living things, an obsession with sex makes human intimacy seem profane. Family values have changed considerably under the influence of secularism ( a "me" oriented society), producing a crop of undisciplined children who lack compassion and manners, and have no respect for authority.
These children are born in a capitalist society and religions is forced on them in this religioüs operated class society. In the nuclear age, this is extreme dangerous for the survival of our race.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll start:
Thou shalt not kill
Thou shalt not steal
Obviously. We didn't need your bible for that.

In fact, it was secularists that forced your church to stop killing "heretics" in the West.

And "Thou shalt not steal"? You stole that from the Jews.

Does your religion offer any original contributions to moral theory worth keeping? Specifically, is there any moral precept attributed to Jesus that we should preserve? Can you name one?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The *only* reason the religious crap hasn't been taught in schools recently is because of the diligence of those trying to keep our secular form of government. There are currently proposals in several different states attempting to mandate the teaching of creationism in science classes.
I just saw this in an article entitled "Intelligent design bill in Missouri" dated January 12th, 2012:

"House Bill 1227, introduced in the Missouri House of Representatives on January 10, 2012, would, if enacted, require "the equal treatment of science instruction regarding evolution and intelligent design," according to the legislature's summary of the bill."
http://ncse.com/news/2012/01/intelligent-desi...

Those people are already far enough behind.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
What about "Honour they father and mother"? Is that an absolute rule?
Apparently, according to this Christian, America was founded on it.

I've never even understood what that commandment requires children to do - obey their parents, as in honor their word? Then say so. How about honor their memory? I doubt that it means to give them a trophy or an award ceremony.

And what use is a commandment to children? Do children obey commandments?

And why would a god include that in a list of the ten most important instruction to humankind?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
I think the public purse is better off exempting churches from taxations than having to support them! Just look at Germany, where the churches are state supported, and clerics paid by the government
The citizens of Germany would likely be better off it the state did neither - neither tax exemption nor subvention. Why pay clerics? Let them become gainfully employed. If the church can't survive without public assistance, let it vanish.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent post, sir!
Thanks, Terry.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
Not to mention the top quark before that and the W and Z particles before that. And that doesn't mention the host of particles that aren't fundamental (being made of quarks, for example) but are accurately predicted by the theory. And it isn't just the energies, it is also the spins, the parities, the interaction strengths, and other specific properties of the particles.
All in all, much better 'prophesies' than some non-sense about feet of clay or iron.
Yes, and thank you for that.

Biblical prophecy is offered as evidence that the bible is of divine origin and to be trusted. Yet the people touting it are completely unfazed by scientific prophecy, which unlike biblical prophecy, is high quality prophecy:

[a] High quality prophecy needs to be specific, detailed and unambiguous. Optimally, the time and place are specified.

[b] It also needs to prophecy something unexpected, unlikely or unique - something that was not self-fulfilling and could not have been contrived.

[c] The prophecies must be verified that they came before the event predicted, and that they were fulfilled completely.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right, the "Experts" are very adept at what they present as "Most probable explanation" for the observed facts.
Just by doing that, so many "theories" and "half cooked ideas" have been taken as "proven facts".
Just look at the TOE and wonder, how little we actually know and how big claims have been made about it!!
And every one believes that TOE is an "established scientific theory"!!
Just because you were afraid of studying physics for 6-10 years does not mean you can go around saying nobody knows about it.

Physics is hard. That is why there are only a few people who work on these problems.

Just because you don't understand something does not make it false.

The problem with you religious folks is that you think reading a religious book is a substitute for hard work, long nights running experiments and writing papers for no pay or food - with no guarantee of results.

If religious people knew what scientists have to do day in and day out to put out a paper, they would die of exhaustion. Its more simple for a religious person to ask thin air for a favour and then sit down and let the universe cure AIDs and cancer itself...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 11,721 - 11,740 of21,376
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 24 min waaasssuuup 223,953
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Patrick 829
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr religionisillness 147
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr religionisillness 349
Talking some sense into you people... 3 hr Patrick 23
Maher to Stewart: 'Drugs are good, religion is ... 5 hr Patrick 4
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 13 hr NightSerf 1
•••
•••