Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 583)

Showing posts 11,641 - 11,660 of20,787
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
And how has the so called wild imaginings of the religious hurt science, or you for that matter?
First, by convincing people they should change laws to abide by their superstitions.

Second, by affecting the types of experiments scientists can perform and the financing they get from the government.

Third, by degrading the overall education about science.

Fourth, by shaping the young into believing myths rather than promoting skepticism.

Fifth, by lowering the overall reasoning ability of the voters in a democratic society.

Sixth, by promoting family arguments over superstitious nonsense.

Seventh, by making the lives of non-believers more complicated because they have to 'respect' the superstitious beliefs of others, including family and friends.

Eighth, by denigrating those who have learned to think for themselves.

I am sure there are many, many more ways, but this is off the top of my head.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet the first Old Testament Commandment is in direct opposition to the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment. So in spite of Justice Rehnquist far-right position, the reality does not support this proposition.
Shall we discuss each of these supposed 10 great commandments and see which ones are actually part of the U.S. legal system and which ones actually existed outside of the Abrahamic traditions? Possibly in ancient examples such as Hammurabi's Code?
(Did you know that there are more than 10 Commandments in Exodus and that it was the 10 Covenants that were written in stone and kept in the Ark of the Covenant, and not the Commandments? No, of course you didn't know that, nor will you now go check. That's an example of cognitive dissonance at it's finest.)
I'll start:

Thou shalt not kill

Thou shalt not steal

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
As mentioned earlier, the DNA strand. What specifically tells enzymes to do what they do?
Different enzymes work by different mechanisms. Any modern biochemistry book will supply many details of the processes. If you want to pick out a particular enzyme of interest, I may be able to search for the specific mechanism. ALL of the mechanisms are based in the specifics of the chemical elements involved. For example, if an enzyme catalyzes a particular reaction (say cutting a protein at a specific location), the action of the enzyme is usually based on stabilizing the transition phase of the reaction. This is done through the different interactions of atoms at the reaction site. As the reaction proceeds, the enzyme changes conformation because of that change (again, physics and chemistry) completing the reaction.

In other words, different atoms are attracted to each other in different ways: hydrogen has a different pattern of attraction than oxygen, which is different again from nitrogen, which is still different than sodium, or potassium, or carbon, etc. These attractions, together with physical proximity and types of bonds formed, produces the way that enzymes do their thing. The interactions of the individual atoms is better understood using quantum mechanics to learn about the bonds in detail, their energies, and directions, and reactivities.

Seriously, if you want to know more,read an organic chemistry book first, then a biochemistry book. It really isn't that mysterious.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll start:
Thou shalt not kill
Thou shalt not steal
The US's use of murder and theft laws has nothing to do with the 10 Commandments.

Both of those concepts are OLDER than the 10 Cs.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Has it happened yet? Until it does, you have no legitimate gripe.
The *only* reason the religious crap hasn't been taught in schools recently is because of the diligence of those trying to keep our secular form of government. There are currently proposals in several different states attempting to mandate the teaching of creationism in science classes.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll start:
Thou shalt not kill
Thou shalt not steal
That's 2, neither of which originated with Abrahamic legal thought, so there is no reason to claim that these laws are founded on them.

You've got 8 more and, if you really expect people to believe that our legal system is based on the 10-Cs, you need to show that at least 50% of these commandments are in fact laws on our books and that they originated with Abrahamic legal thought.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes ... Repeatedly ... For years ... still being attempted.
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Why don't you start with the BS commandments? Take them in order.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll start:
Thou shalt not kill
Thou shalt not steal

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Every year the nut-job republicans, in various state assemblies, introduce bills in an attempt to force the teaching of unsupportable myth (creationism/intelligent design) as science to unsuspecting public school students. The fact that those bills are normally shot down before going very far, doesn't offset the fact that they are introduced in the first place! One would think that being shot down over and over and over again that the idiots would get a clue and stop wasting tax payer monies trying to push their religious agendas on people that don't want it!!

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Then live and let live.
I'll "live and let live" the day christians start to do the same.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say that? I said, had the hoax not been exposed via newspaper articles, the public would not have known about it.
Er..not quite.

The scientists figured out it was a hoax and announced their findings.

The papers just published what they were told. They exposed nothing.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll start:
Thou shalt not kill
Thou shalt not steal
What about "Honour they father and mother"?

Is that an absolute rule?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
See, atheists form communities, gather in places, collect money, just like churches.
I wonder if they pay taxes on the funds collected.
I wonder if they also pay royalties on the pop music they sing too...
It that catches on, it won't be long before they pay guest speakers at their meetings, create a hierarchy, invest in properties, and claim tax exemption, just like churches.
It's kind of interesting that this small group of atheists have decided to follow a church model, but most atheists do not. See "fallacy of composition": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_compo...

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
How can there be physical evidence for that which is non-physical? To expect it is not only irrational but ludicrous.
Expecting others to accept assertions without evidence is even more ludicrous.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientific theories are based on the observable facts and are tested using such facts. I realize they are 'best effort' results which can be replaced if new evidence is found.
I see theories as conceptual frameworks for correlating known facts. The way that fossils are layered, for instance, showed earlier biologists the order in which species appeared and approximately how long they endured. They observed that as species died out, they were often succeeded by similar species that had adapted in some way, giving rise to the ToE, which has since been confirmed and expanded as new data became available and new technologies allowed for more detailed analysis.

So of course theories aren't facts--they aren't meant to be. Theories are meant to explain facts, not supplant them. It is through theory that science advances, right?

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Brit Expat wrote:
Worth watching. Religion in action. You wont find this on the BBC or FOXCRAP.
http://www.aljazeera.com/video/europe/2013/02...
There was a pretty good movie about this in 2002: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318411/

You can see some of it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I know. If it were, there would probably be Supreme Court cases adjuducating on teaching it in the public schools.
<quoted text>
I am not attempting to make atheism shine. I just want your church to fade from view.
<quoted text>
I have no hatred - just contempt. And I will not tolerate your church poking its nose into my life if I don't have to.
<quoted text>
Thanks for the tips, but I doubt you know what I want.
I'm not interested in promoting atheism, just opposing the Christian church. I consider it a victory not when a person converts to atheism, but when they repudiate your church, and stop allowing it to determine who they hate and how they'll vote.
That is why "irreligious " and "none of the above" is a much more important number than the fraction using the words "atheist, " "agnostic, " "freethinker, " "humanist, " and "skeptic. "
You can be Buddhist, Jainist, Taoist or Bahai, and I'm cool with that, because you won't be underwriting or carrying water for Christian atheophobia, homophobia, sexual guilt, antiscientism, the demeaning of mankind, or any of the other gifts that your church has given us.
So many more nones than Nuns in the world. Good thing.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
And? Just because I believe in Jesus doesn't mean I can't also see the common sense in evolution? Again, labels schmabels.
With faith, all things are possible, even mutually contradictory things.

If evolution is correct, the Christian bible is not.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

If only you Christholes would do that instead of vilifying everyone who doesn't accept your Jesus myth as real.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Then live and let live.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Baloney!
"Dr Barrett claimed anthropologists have found that in some cultures children believe in God even when religious teachings are withheld from them."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/3512...
That should make you proud - still doing the same magical thinking that a young child does. Children also believe that when they cover their faces, you can't see them.

"The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up." - Bishop John Shelby Spong

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 11,641 - 11,660 of20,787
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••