Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12329 Feb 5, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>No.. you don't. You equated "faith" in evidence based science with "religous faith". They are two very different things.
Reread my post. You lost something in the translation.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12330 Feb 5, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody tried to cover it up.
Piltdown Man was exposed as a fraud by scientists.
Did I say that? I said, had the hoax not been exposed via newspaper articles, the public would not have known about it.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#12331 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians have been trying to save the world for Jesus for 2,000 years and they haven't succeeded yet. What are you afraid of?
I am afraid of the fact that every time the Christians get into power, they decide that those who disagree with them deserve to die.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12332 Feb 5, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
The way this person thinks, even if they ever did come up with a test for design, they have lost any argument for intelligence.
There are getting close (field theories) but so far, no cigar.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#12333 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say that? I said, had the hoax not been exposed via newspaper articles, the public would not have known about it.
And if the hoax had not been discovered by scientists and told to the journalists, then the papers would never have known about it.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#12334 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Opinions do not facts make.
Which is *exactly* why mysticism is not factual.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#12335 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
To believe that the universe just happened for no particular reason takes faith.
On the contrary, to assume that the typical ideas of causality are applicable to the universe as a whole flies in the face of rationality.
Thinking

Uckfield, UK

#12336 Feb 5, 2013
What.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what?
Thinking

Uckfield, UK

#12337 Feb 5, 2013
The piltdown fake was made by a christian. The scientific method debunked it.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#12338 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Personal biases do not truths make.
Exactly. Tested, repeatable results make truth.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#12339 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
To believe that the universe just happened for no particular reason takes faith.
But I don't say that, so you are now attempting a strawman fallacy.

I don't know how the universe started or even if it "started".

Neither do you.

You claim goddidit. Which scientifically doesn't provide any testable predictive capability what-so-ever and is therefore a totally worthless claim made on faith.

I claim that there is at least some evidence for a number of different working hypotheses and am now awaiting predictive testing methods to help us move forward in our understanding.

You then lie to everybody about science you so clearly do not understand.
Thinking

Uckfield, UK

#12340 Feb 5, 2013
Straw man.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#12341 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
The theories of science are trips into the imagination,
Which are limited by the requirement that hypotheses be testable with repeatable results. Imagination is required for the initial hypothesis, but does not and cannot justify belief. Only testing and repeatablity do that.

Religion, on the other hand, has no such limitations, so it flies wildly after any imaginings it pleases.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#12342 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I say it is.
Then provide *evidence* that distinguishes between intelligent design and the simple application of the laws of physics and chemistry.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#12343 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians have been trying to save the world for Jesus for 2,000 years and they haven't succeeded yet. What are you afraid of?
Wasn't he supposed to return during the life of his apostles??

My fears?

Spiders... but only the one I see above my head because they are more difficult to stomp!

Young children whose heads are about crotch height

and, as I have gotten older, heights as I tend to get vertigo now that I didn't have in my youth.

I'm not deathly afraid of any of them though.

Location hidden

#12344 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Reread my post. You lost something in the translation.
Doubtful, but I'll check...

Nope, reads the same.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12345 Feb 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which are limited by the requirement that hypotheses be testable with repeatable results. Imagination is required for the initial hypothesis, but does not and cannot justify belief. Only testing and repeatablity do that.
Religion, on the other hand, has no such limitations, so it flies wildly after any imaginings it pleases.
And how has the so called wild imaginings of the religious hurt science, or you for that matter?

Location hidden

#12346 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
There are getting close (field theories) but so far, no cigar.
maybe in 2000 yrs they'll be as close as christians are to finding evidence for a god

Location hidden

#12347 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
And how has the so called wild imaginings of the religious hurt science, or you for that matter?
BY TRYING TO REQUIRE THE TEACHING OF THAT WILD IMAGININGS CRAP TO PUBLIC SCHOOL STUDENS AS SCIENCE!!
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12348 Feb 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then provide *evidence* that distinguishes between intelligent design and the simple application of the laws of physics and chemistry.
As mentioned earlier, the DNA strand. What specifically tells enzymes to do what they do?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 7 min Chazofsaints 357
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 min Regolith Based Li... 20,316
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr ChristineM 21,413
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr ChristineM 10,363
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 3 hr ChristineM 555
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 hr Eagle 12 257,140
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 hr SoE 45,560
More from around the web