Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 581)

Showing posts 11,601 - 11,620 of20,828
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

intelligent design simply isn't.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
They do. They just don't recognize what they see as Intelligent Deisign.
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

Well that crock has certainly improved my life!
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
"It is equally undeniable ...that the Ten Commandments have had a significant impact on the development of secular legal codes of the Western World." - U.S. Supreme Court, Stone v. Graham - Cheif Justice William Rehnquist
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I say it is.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
because there is nothing to see.
<quoted text>
No, the theist imagines God and that opens unto worlds of nonsense.*Knowledge* is based in testability and the detection and correction of previous errors. Mysticism has only the imagination and no limits to restrict that imagination to truth.
The theories of science are trips into the imagination,

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
"It is equally undeniable ...that the Ten Commandments have had a significant impact on the development of secular legal codes of the Western World." - U.S. Supreme Court, Stone v. Graham - Cheif Justice William Rehnquist
Can you give some examples?

As I pointed out, the US contradicts four of the ten.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Spirituality will never fade away. It is an integral part of human nature. When you can stop obsessing on religion to the point of fear, your intolerance will dissappear. "The only thing you have to fear is fear itself."
<quoted text>
You can make your preference known without contempt, rudeness and disrespect.
<quoted text>
There is room enough for every sail (including Christianity) out on the intellectual sea. Every theology and philosophy contains wisdom. To deny the Christian a voice because of your own personal bias is to be a bigot.
LOL! Christians HAVE a voice, do you not pay attention to the daily news??? No one is denying them a voice... the fact that they want that voice to speak for all of humanity is where they cross the line!
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Thinking wrote:
"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."
Well that crock has certainly improved my life!
<quoted text>
Say what?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet the first Old Testament Commandment is in direct opposition to the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment. So in spite of Justice Rehnquist far-right position, the reality does not support this proposition.

Shall we discuss each of these supposed 10 great commandments and see which ones are actually part of the U.S. legal system and which ones actually existed outside of the Abrahamic traditions? Possibly in ancient examples such as Hammurabi's Code?

(Did you know that there are more than 10 Commandments in Exodus and that it was the 10 Covenants that were written in stone and kept in the Ark of the Covenant, and not the Commandments? No, of course you didn't know that, nor will you now go check. That's an example of cognitive dissonance at it's finest.)

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
The way this person thinks, even if they ever did come up with a test for design, they have lost any argument for intelligence.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
For physical reality.
Yes

Things that are imaginary and unreal are explained by magic and superstitions.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
If the story had not been reported in the newspapers, no one would have known it was a hoax. It would have remained one of science's dirty little secrets.
Nobody tried to cover it up.

Piltdown Man was exposed as a fraud by scientists.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a theist, remember? I know all about faith.
No.. you don't. You equated "faith" in evidence based science with "religous faith". They are two very different things.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a theist, remember? I know all about faith.
Then you know that "faith" has nothing to do with science and are attempting to BS people by using the fallacy of equivocation ... lamely I might add.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Oh raving religious wack jobs are everywhere. Sadly stupidity know no country.
Brit Expat wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me strength! It's not only the US that has to put up with raving religous loonies. I blame brainwashing from birth/or the easily led inadquate! But! Thinking about it. The food and drink of religion has always been about controlling the inadaquate! THINKING for religous types is just not an option. Sad really.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Christians HAVE a voice, do you not pay attention to the daily news??? No one is denying them a voice... the fact that they want that voice to speak for all of humanity is where they cross the line!
Christians have been trying to save the world for Jesus for 2,000 years and they haven't succeeded yet. What are you afraid of?
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you know that "faith" has nothing to do with science and are attempting to BS people by using the fallacy of equivocation ... lamely I might add.
To believe that the universe just happened for no particular reason takes faith.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>No.. you don't. You equated "faith" in evidence based science with "religous faith". They are two very different things.
Reread my post. You lost something in the translation.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody tried to cover it up.
Piltdown Man was exposed as a fraud by scientists.
Did I say that? I said, had the hoax not been exposed via newspaper articles, the public would not have known about it.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians have been trying to save the world for Jesus for 2,000 years and they haven't succeeded yet. What are you afraid of?
I am afraid of the fact that every time the Christians get into power, they decide that those who disagree with them deserve to die.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
The way this person thinks, even if they ever did come up with a test for design, they have lost any argument for intelligence.
There are getting close (field theories) but so far, no cigar.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 11,601 - 11,620 of20,828
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••