Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
11,581 - 11,600 of 21,407 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
If it exists, it is legitimate.
And this is your basic mistake. There are such things as illusions and false sensory perceptions. Your 'mystical experiences' have been scientifically analyzed (ever read the book 'The Variety of Religious Experiences'?). They are illusions caused by the brain, often under stress or drugs. That is why religious ritual often involves stressful postures, for example.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
The development of one's moral consciousness through "action" which in turn gives meaning and dignity to life.
In this society the atomic age does not in the slightest way influence the downfall of the nuclear facts and the end of our race!

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither will ignoring transcendent human experience add to one's knowledge. An atheist looks into the abyss and sees nothing.
because there is nothing to see.
The theist experiences God, and the abyss opens unto worlds of knowledge.
No, the theist imagines God and that opens unto worlds of nonsense.*Knowledge* is based in testability and the detection and correction of previous errors. Mysticism has only the imagination and no limits to restrict that imagination to truth.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Spirituality will never fade away. It is an integral part of human nature. When you can stop obsessing on religion to the point of fear, your intolerance will dissappear. "The only thing you have to fear is fear itself."
I don't fear religion. I fear the religious. Once you believe in an absudity, you are primed to commit atrocities.
You can make your preference known without contempt, rudeness and disrespect.
But contempt is reasonable for superstitious nonsense leading to immorality.
There is room enough for every sail (including Christianity) out on the intellectual sea. Every theology and philosophy contains wisdom. To deny the Christian a voice because of your own personal bias is to be a bigot.
No theology contains wisdom. At best they have a few ideas about morality. But even those are distorted by the overall superstition as to be irrelevant.

Philosophy occasionally has some wisdom or some cautionary tales. But way too often, philosophers get tied up in nonsense questions and delude themselves into thinking they are doing something leading to truth. They tend to make assumptions that are known to be wrong and to attempt to justify the prevailing dogma. Since there is no way (usually) to actually test their ideas, they argue endlessly about nothing.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
God-stuff..... God-stuff.... We are made of god-stuff....
..... Ladies and gentlemen I think we have found an idiot Christhole who's stupidity reaches new uncharted depths.
<quoted text>
We in the nuclear age have only the facts of extermination by the mankind to real end to get. Religions are of minor existence. I know of course the brainwashed majority will not be able to get the real facts of its life anymore before the supergau!

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you have "faith" in Science and it's ever changing theorizing. Only through the belief in God is one able to comprehend an absolute in such an uncertain world.
Garbage. A belief in God only gives you the justification to stop thinking. In other words, you neglect the duty for thinking.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is your basic mistake. There are such things as illusions and false sensory perceptions. Your 'mystical experiences' have been scientifically analyzed (ever read the book 'The Variety of Religious Experiences'?). They are illusions caused by the brain, often under stress or drugs. That is why religious ritual often involves stressful postures, for example.
Ever read the book "Infinte Mind"? The supposition that mystical experiences are illusions is a figment of science's imagination. You cannot test what is not physical in origin. You can only test what is a physical manifestation of the unseen and even then, your understanding of what you perceive is limited by your lack of knowledge regarding transcendental experiences.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you have "faith" in Science and it's ever changing theorizing. Only through the belief in God is one able to comprehend an absolute in such an uncertain world.
Well brainwashed does not change in the least the religious garbage in our nuclear desaster.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't fear religion. I fear the religious. Once you believe in an absudity, you are primed to commit atrocities.
<quoted text>
But contempt is reasonable for superstitious nonsense leading to immorality.
<quoted text>
No theology contains wisdom. At best they have a few ideas about morality. But even those are distorted by the overall superstition as to be irrelevant.
Philosophy occasionally has some wisdom or some cautionary tales. But way too often, philosophers get tied up in nonsense questions and delude themselves into thinking they are doing something leading to truth. They tend to make assumptions that are known to be wrong and to attempt to justify the prevailing dogma. Since there is no way (usually) to actually test their ideas, they argue endlessly about nothing.
Opinions do not facts make.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words you don't understand the meaning of "faith" and know absolutely nothing about science.
But do you really need to go out of your way to post in these threads and show everybody how proud you are of your ignorance?
I'm a theist, remember? I know all about faith.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Garbage. A belief in God only gives you the justification to stop thinking. In other words, you neglect the duty for thinking.
Personal biases do not truths make.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Fromt he August 21, 2009 appearance of Sam Harris on Bill Maher's show:
BILL MAHER: How did you get to where you are, and what advice would you give to kids today who wanna break into atheism?
SAM HARRIS: Well, I started there, and that's kind of the point.
MAHER: You did?
HARRIS: Yeah, unless you're indoctrinated at some point early on -- it's kind of like smoking -- you tend not to pick it up later in life.
MAHER: As a child, you were an atheist?
HARRIS: Atheism has no content.
This may be, but nuclear supergaus are not waiting for humans to realise their hopeless situations! Go ahead with your fairy tales!
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
I bet those scientists see god-stuff all the time under the microscope but refuse to publish it!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
<quoted text>
They do. They just don't recognize what they see as Intelligent Deisign.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they are not.
"It is equally undeniable ...that the Ten Commandments have had a significant impact on the development of secular legal codes of the Western World." - U.S. Supreme Court, Stone v. Graham - Cheif Justice William Rehnquist
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
This may be, but nuclear supergaus are not waiting for humans to realise their hopeless situations! Go ahead with your fairy tales!
With climate change gathering momentum, nuclear destruction is the least of mankind's worries.
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

intelligent design simply isn't.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
They do. They just don't recognize what they see as Intelligent Deisign.
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

Well that crock has certainly improved my life!
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
"It is equally undeniable ...that the Ten Commandments have had a significant impact on the development of secular legal codes of the Western World." - U.S. Supreme Court, Stone v. Graham - Cheif Justice William Rehnquist
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
intelligent design simply isn't.
<quoted text>
I say it is.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
because there is nothing to see.
<quoted text>
No, the theist imagines God and that opens unto worlds of nonsense.*Knowledge* is based in testability and the detection and correction of previous errors. Mysticism has only the imagination and no limits to restrict that imagination to truth.
The theories of science are trips into the imagination,

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you give some examples?

As I pointed out, the US contradicts four of the ten.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min Buck Crick 224,656
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 851
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 2 hr John 70,965
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Buck Crick 261
Talking some sense into you people... 3 hr Buck Crick 29
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 5 hr CunningLinguist 30
Atheists, give up your lost religion and seek t... (Nov '13) 14 hr CunningLinguist 229
•••
•••