Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#12289 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
What does science offer, if not a collection of tentative theories?
Everybody dies...nobody gets out of it, but some of us can see beyond the veil of physicalities.
No, don't get to "see" beyond the veil of physicalities - you get to imagine.

HUGE difference.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12290 Feb 5, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists aren't here to discuss morals or philosophy. Many theists make the mistake that because religion tries to talk about these subjects, atheism must also.
A disbelief in God does not render atheists exempt from discussions about morals and philosophy since both morality and philosophical beliefs underpin all human societies. Our very laws, ethics and altruistic ideals are loosely centered around the Ten Commmandments.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#12291 Feb 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
What is your issue with the scientific method?
insidesecrets wrote:
Most of the time, scientists know what results they want, and that can influence the results they get.
Why would that be an issue even were it true? It wouldn't be a flaw in the scientific method, which is more than just the methodological materialism of the laboratory that leads to scientific papers.

There is also the vetting process, which uses those research papers as its input. It isn't science until it's peer reviewed, reproduced, assimilated by the majority, and over time never overturned. Individual biases are filtered out by this purification process, as are errors and fraud.

Once the scientific community has fully vetted an idea, you can count on it.
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#12292 Feb 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, at least, that it is illogical and ludicrous to discuss it.
Capitalism is not able to realize that it is a dying society in the nuclear age. On the other hand religion is not the slightest help for removing capitalism at all!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#12293 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Our very laws, ethics and altruistic ideals are loosely centered around the Ten Commmandments.
How so?

American law and culture contradicts 4 of them (no other gods, no idols, god's name in vain, coveting), ignores 1 (working on Sunday), and the other 5 aren't original or unique to the 10 Commandments (no murder/theft/lying/adultery, respect your parents).

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#12294 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you have "faith" in Science and it's ever changing theorizing. Only through the belief in God is one able to comprehend an absolute in such an uncertain world.
In other words you don't understand the meaning of "faith" and know absolutely nothing about science.

But do you really need to go out of your way to post in these threads and show everybody how proud you are of your ignorance?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#12295 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
A disbelief in God does not render atheists exempt from discussions about morals and philosophy since both morality and philosophical beliefs underpin all human societies. Our very laws, ethics and altruistic ideals are loosely centered around the Ten Commmandments.
No, they are not.
Henry

Lugau, Germany

#12296 Feb 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sheesh email your preacher pray to your Jewsus and calm down. You are really making a jackass out of yourself now.
<quoted text>
In the atomic age you may have different opinions, but by atomic incidents you get the radiation facts. No capitalism will help you, no religions. The AKWs are an infallable fact and they will not react on any nuclear desaster. That means the gaus will come often, they don`t care about the present society. So capitalism (is already on its downfall) and mankind does not need additional warmongering but war of capitalism is inbred in this society.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12297 Feb 5, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>I am not attempting to make atheism shine. I just want your church to fade from view.
Spirituality will never fade away. It is an integral part of human nature. When you can stop obsessing on religion to the point of fear, your intolerance will dissappear. "The only thing you have to fear is fear itself."
<quoted text>I have no hatred - just contempt. And I will not tolerate your church poking its nose into my life if I don't have to.
You can make your preference known without contempt, rudeness and disrespect.
<quoted text>I'm not interested in promoting atheism, just opposing the Christian church. I consider it a victory not when a person converts to atheism, but when they repudiate your church, and stop allowing it to determine who they hate and how they'll vote.
That is why "irreligious " and "none of the above" is a much more important number than the fraction using the words "atheist, " "agnostic, " "freethinker, " "humanist, " and "skeptic. "
You can be Buddhist, Jainist, Taoist or Bahai, and I'm cool with that, because you won't be underwriting or carrying water for Christian atheophobia, homophobia, sexual guilt, antiscientism, the demeaning of mankind, or any of the other gifts that your church has given us.
There is room enough for every sail (including Christianity) out on the intellectual sea. Every theology and philosophy contains wisdom. To deny the Christian a voice because of your own personal bias is to be a bigot.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#12298 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
If it exists, it is legitimate.
And this is your basic mistake. There are such things as illusions and false sensory perceptions. Your 'mystical experiences' have been scientifically analyzed (ever read the book 'The Variety of Religious Experiences'?). They are illusions caused by the brain, often under stress or drugs. That is why religious ritual often involves stressful postures, for example.
Henry

Lugau, Germany

#12299 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
The development of one's moral consciousness through "action" which in turn gives meaning and dignity to life.
In this society the atomic age does not in the slightest way influence the downfall of the nuclear facts and the end of our race!

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#12300 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither will ignoring transcendent human experience add to one's knowledge. An atheist looks into the abyss and sees nothing.
because there is nothing to see.
The theist experiences God, and the abyss opens unto worlds of knowledge.
No, the theist imagines God and that opens unto worlds of nonsense.*Knowledge* is based in testability and the detection and correction of previous errors. Mysticism has only the imagination and no limits to restrict that imagination to truth.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#12301 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Spirituality will never fade away. It is an integral part of human nature. When you can stop obsessing on religion to the point of fear, your intolerance will dissappear. "The only thing you have to fear is fear itself."
I don't fear religion. I fear the religious. Once you believe in an absudity, you are primed to commit atrocities.
You can make your preference known without contempt, rudeness and disrespect.
But contempt is reasonable for superstitious nonsense leading to immorality.
There is room enough for every sail (including Christianity) out on the intellectual sea. Every theology and philosophy contains wisdom. To deny the Christian a voice because of your own personal bias is to be a bigot.
No theology contains wisdom. At best they have a few ideas about morality. But even those are distorted by the overall superstition as to be irrelevant.

Philosophy occasionally has some wisdom or some cautionary tales. But way too often, philosophers get tied up in nonsense questions and delude themselves into thinking they are doing something leading to truth. They tend to make assumptions that are known to be wrong and to attempt to justify the prevailing dogma. Since there is no way (usually) to actually test their ideas, they argue endlessly about nothing.
Henry

Lugau, Germany

#12302 Feb 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
God-stuff..... God-stuff.... We are made of god-stuff....
..... Ladies and gentlemen I think we have found an idiot Christhole who's stupidity reaches new uncharted depths.
<quoted text>
We in the nuclear age have only the facts of extermination by the mankind to real end to get. Religions are of minor existence. I know of course the brainwashed majority will not be able to get the real facts of its life anymore before the supergau!

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#12303 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you have "faith" in Science and it's ever changing theorizing. Only through the belief in God is one able to comprehend an absolute in such an uncertain world.
Garbage. A belief in God only gives you the justification to stop thinking. In other words, you neglect the duty for thinking.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12304 Feb 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is your basic mistake. There are such things as illusions and false sensory perceptions. Your 'mystical experiences' have been scientifically analyzed (ever read the book 'The Variety of Religious Experiences'?). They are illusions caused by the brain, often under stress or drugs. That is why religious ritual often involves stressful postures, for example.
Ever read the book "Infinte Mind"? The supposition that mystical experiences are illusions is a figment of science's imagination. You cannot test what is not physical in origin. You can only test what is a physical manifestation of the unseen and even then, your understanding of what you perceive is limited by your lack of knowledge regarding transcendental experiences.
Henry

Lugau, Germany

#12305 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Well brainwashed does not change in the least the religious garbage in our nuclear desaster.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12306 Feb 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't fear religion. I fear the religious. Once you believe in an absudity, you are primed to commit atrocities.
<quoted text>
But contempt is reasonable for superstitious nonsense leading to immorality.
<quoted text>
No theology contains wisdom. At best they have a few ideas about morality. But even those are distorted by the overall superstition as to be irrelevant.
Philosophy occasionally has some wisdom or some cautionary tales. But way too often, philosophers get tied up in nonsense questions and delude themselves into thinking they are doing something leading to truth. They tend to make assumptions that are known to be wrong and to attempt to justify the prevailing dogma. Since there is no way (usually) to actually test their ideas, they argue endlessly about nothing.
Opinions do not facts make.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12307 Feb 5, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words you don't understand the meaning of "faith" and know absolutely nothing about science.
But do you really need to go out of your way to post in these threads and show everybody how proud you are of your ignorance?
I'm a theist, remember? I know all about faith.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#12308 Feb 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Garbage. A belief in God only gives you the justification to stop thinking. In other words, you neglect the duty for thinking.
Personal biases do not truths make.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 min Chimney1 48,552
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 24 min Rings9780 21,867
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr JustASkeptic 17
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr Into The Night 23,503
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 hr New Age Spiritual... 258,040
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 3 Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Dec 2 Scaritual 14
More from around the web