Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,919

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#12278 Feb 5, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you know it is legitimate?
"Are there things in the Universe that we cannot know in the usual way of observing and measuring, but that we can know in some other way -- intuition, revelation, mad insight?
If so, how can you know that what you know in these non-knowing ways is really so?
Anything you know without knowing, others can know only through your flat statement without any proof other than 'I know!'
All this leads to such madness that I, for one, am content with the knowable. That is enough to know." ~ Isaac Asimov
It is not science that makes your life legitimate, it is your own experiences. If you cannot trust your experiences, you end up denying your human nature.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#12279 Feb 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
What has spirituality got that reality plus imagination hasn't?
<quoted text>
The development of one's moral consciousness through "action" which in turn gives meaning and dignity to life.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#12280 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not science that makes your life legitimate, it is your own experiences. If you cannot trust your experiences, you end up denying your human nature.
Experiences don't make life legitimate either. Just because you believe you can fly doesn't mean you will survive a 50ft fall.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#12281 Feb 5, 2013
trekx wrote:
Lets just put it this way, to be religious (any religion) you first have to be taught that religion. But to be an Atheist you dont have to be taught anything at all, its just a natural state of mind and the way we are all born ...
Fromt he August 21, 2009 appearance of Sam Harris on Bill Maher's show:

BILL MAHER: How did you get to where you are, and what advice would you give to kids today who wanna break into atheism?

SAM HARRIS: Well, I started there, and that's kind of the point.

MAHER: You did?

HARRIS: Yeah, unless you're indoctrinated at some point early on -- it's kind of like smoking -- you tend not to pick it up later in life.

MAHER: As a child, you were an atheist?

HARRIS: Atheism has no content.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#12282 Feb 5, 2013
I bet those scientists see god-stuff all the time under the microscope but refuse to publish it!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither will ignoring transcendent human experience add to one's knowledge. An atheist looks into the abyss and sees nothing. The theist experiences God, and the abyss opens unto worlds of knowledge.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#12283 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
The development of one's moral consciousness through "action" which in turn gives meaning and dignity to life.
Atheists aren't here to discuss morals or philosophy. Many theists make the mistake that because religion tries to talk about these subjects, atheism must also.

Atheist is just a classification - a lack of belief or faith in god, In fact from an atheist's point of view, it's not a lack of anything at all.

As many atheists will tell you, they may also have philosophical viewpoints about life, etc.

The problem is that uneducated theists put this pressure on atheists and have an expectation that atheism is out to solve spiritual or philosophical problems, which is absolutely is not trying to do or claiming to do.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#12284 Feb 5, 2013
That's just a subset of "reality plus imagination".
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Brit Expat

Calvisson, France

#12285 Feb 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sharp as a marble that Rio and thick as pigsht.
Best pray for 40 IQ points ok wanker?
<quoted text>
Give me strength! It's not only the US that has to put up with raving religous loonies. I blame brainwashing from birth/or the easily led inadquate! But! Thinking about it. The food and drink of religion has always been about controlling the inadaquate! THINKING for religous types is just not an option. Sad really.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#12286 Feb 5, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
NO. I have confidence in them in direct proportion to the amount of available independently verified evidence in support of them.
In other words, you have "faith" in Science and it's ever changing theorizing. Only through the belief in God is one able to comprehend an absolute in such an uncertain world.

Fennario

#12287 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
There is no stork theory in the Bible.
Yes, I know. If it were, there would probably be Supreme Court cases adjuducating on teaching it in the public schools.
insidesecrets wrote:
You will not make atheism shine by bashing Christians and spreading disinformation.
I am not attempting to make atheism shine. I just want your church to fade from view.
insidesecrets wrote:
You will not conquer hatred and intolerance with hatred and intolerance.
I have no hatred - just contempt. And I will not tolerate your church poking its nose into my life if I don't have to.
insidesecrets wrote:
Atheism must stand on its own merits, whatever those are. That's what you should be promoting.
Thanks for the tips, but I doubt you know what I want.

I'm not interested in promoting atheism, just opposing the Christian church. I consider it a victory not when a person converts to atheism, but when they repudiate your church, and stop allowing it to determine who they hate and how they'll vote.

That is why "irreligious " and "none of the above" is a much more important number than the fraction using the words "atheist, " "agnostic, " "freethinker, " "humanist, " and "skeptic. "

You can be Buddhist, Jainist, Taoist or Bahai, and I'm cool with that, because you won't be underwriting or carrying water for Christian atheophobia, homophobia, sexual guilt, antiscientism, the demeaning of mankind, or any of the other gifts that your church has given us.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#12288 Feb 5, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
See, atheists form communities, gather in places, collect money, just like churches.
I wonder if they pay taxes on the funds collected.
I wonder if they also pay royalties on the pop music they sing too...
It that catches on, it won't be long before they pay guest speakers at their meetings, create a hierarchy, invest in properties, and claim tax exemption, just like churches.
You could also be describing a book club a knitting circle a biker club and on and on.

In other words...epic fail.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#12289 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
What does science offer, if not a collection of tentative theories?
Everybody dies...nobody gets out of it, but some of us can see beyond the veil of physicalities.
No, don't get to "see" beyond the veil of physicalities - you get to imagine.

HUGE difference.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#12290 Feb 5, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists aren't here to discuss morals or philosophy. Many theists make the mistake that because religion tries to talk about these subjects, atheism must also.
A disbelief in God does not render atheists exempt from discussions about morals and philosophy since both morality and philosophical beliefs underpin all human societies. Our very laws, ethics and altruistic ideals are loosely centered around the Ten Commmandments.

Fennario

#12291 Feb 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
What is your issue with the scientific method?
insidesecrets wrote:
Most of the time, scientists know what results they want, and that can influence the results they get.
Why would that be an issue even were it true? It wouldn't be a flaw in the scientific method, which is more than just the methodological materialism of the laboratory that leads to scientific papers.

There is also the vetting process, which uses those research papers as its input. It isn't science until it's peer reviewed, reproduced, assimilated by the majority, and over time never overturned. Individual biases are filtered out by this purification process, as are errors and fraud.

Once the scientific community has fully vetted an idea, you can count on it.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#12292 Feb 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, at least, that it is illogical and ludicrous to discuss it.
Capitalism is not able to realize that it is a dying society in the nuclear age. On the other hand religion is not the slightest help for removing capitalism at all!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#12293 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Our very laws, ethics and altruistic ideals are loosely centered around the Ten Commmandments.
How so?

American law and culture contradicts 4 of them (no other gods, no idols, god's name in vain, coveting), ignores 1 (working on Sunday), and the other 5 aren't original or unique to the 10 Commandments (no murder/theft/lying/adultery, respect your parents).

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#12294 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you have "faith" in Science and it's ever changing theorizing. Only through the belief in God is one able to comprehend an absolute in such an uncertain world.
In other words you don't understand the meaning of "faith" and know absolutely nothing about science.

But do you really need to go out of your way to post in these threads and show everybody how proud you are of your ignorance?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#12295 Feb 5, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
A disbelief in God does not render atheists exempt from discussions about morals and philosophy since both morality and philosophical beliefs underpin all human societies. Our very laws, ethics and altruistic ideals are loosely centered around the Ten Commmandments.
No, they are not.
Henry

Aue, Germany

#12296 Feb 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sheesh email your preacher pray to your Jewsus and calm down. You are really making a jackass out of yourself now.
<quoted text>
In the atomic age you may have different opinions, but by atomic incidents you get the radiation facts. No capitalism will help you, no religions. The AKWs are an infallable fact and they will not react on any nuclear desaster. That means the gaus will come often, they don`t care about the present society. So capitalism (is already on its downfall) and mankind does not need additional warmongering but war of capitalism is inbred in this society.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#12297 Feb 5, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>I am not attempting to make atheism shine. I just want your church to fade from view.
Spirituality will never fade away. It is an integral part of human nature. When you can stop obsessing on religion to the point of fear, your intolerance will dissappear. "The only thing you have to fear is fear itself."
<quoted text>I have no hatred - just contempt. And I will not tolerate your church poking its nose into my life if I don't have to.
You can make your preference known without contempt, rudeness and disrespect.
<quoted text>I'm not interested in promoting atheism, just opposing the Christian church. I consider it a victory not when a person converts to atheism, but when they repudiate your church, and stop allowing it to determine who they hate and how they'll vote.
That is why "irreligious " and "none of the above" is a much more important number than the fraction using the words "atheist, " "agnostic, " "freethinker, " "humanist, " and "skeptic. "
You can be Buddhist, Jainist, Taoist or Bahai, and I'm cool with that, because you won't be underwriting or carrying water for Christian atheophobia, homophobia, sexual guilt, antiscientism, the demeaning of mankind, or any of the other gifts that your church has given us.
There is room enough for every sail (including Christianity) out on the intellectual sea. Every theology and philosophy contains wisdom. To deny the Christian a voice because of your own personal bias is to be a bigot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min superwilly 228,531
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 32 min Patrick 150
Is Religion Childish? 2 hr Patrick 3
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 2 hr Patrick 3
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Richardfs 5,584
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Richardfs 674
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 6 hr Andre 463

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE