Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 570)

Showing posts 11,381 - 11,400 of21,328
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Sam Harris was on Bill Maher's show last Friday.
Youtubed it. It was a very interesting interview. Maher looked like a corpse as always, but the other guy did bring up some good points. Not enough to make me convert, of course. But I could definitely view them objectively. Still gonna hang onto my 1st amendment rights.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

trekx wrote:
Lets hope that religion will eventually go away, its the only way we will ever have world peace!!
Playing devil's advocate, but if you have one worldwide religion which was a single sect you could ? in theory achieve the same thing.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
"I'm sorry, but there's no nice way to say this. If you fill your child's mind with images of Satan and the horrors of hellfire, you're a sick individual, and you are mentally ill."
Agreed. Religion in its devout form is mental illness. Esp. those who have a perverse sense of enjoyment in the imagined eternal punishment of others in hell. UNderstood in this context, being "saved" is not something I would want.

Since: Feb 13

Riverside , CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Playing devil's advocate, but if you have one worldwide religion which was a single sect you could ? in theory achieve the same thing.
Maybe but it would still lack logic and reason. only Atheists have this because we see reality for what it is, not what we hope for it to be ...
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Maybe you could get a mobile to go over your cot?
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
That dude bores me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you could get a mobile to go over your cot?
Lol While my "cot" now comes in the form of a comfy king size bed, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of having a mobile. I think they're lovely!

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

Made in Yorkshire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious."
-Sam Harris
--American Neuroscientist
This quote is from "An Atheist Manifesto", "A Dig led by Sam Harris", "Sam Harris argues against irrational faith and its adherents". Here is a link.

http://www.truthdig.com/dig/item/200512_an_at...

"The atheist is merely a person who believes that the 260 million Americans (87% of the population) who claim to never doubt the existence of God should be obliged to present evidence for his existence and, indeed, for his benevolence, given the relentless destruction of innocent human beings we witness in the world each day. Only the atheist appreciates just how uncanny our situation is: Most of us believe in a God that is every bit as specious as the gods of Mount Olympus; no person, whatever his or her qualifications, can seek public office in the United States without pretending to be certain that such a God exists; and much of what passes for public policy in our country conforms to religious taboos and superstitions appropriate to a medieval theocracy. Our circumstance is abject, indefensible and terrifying. It would be hilarious if the stakes were not so high."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Roland_Deschain wrote:
<quoted text>This quote is from "An Atheist Manifesto", "A Dig led by Sam Harris", "Sam Harris argues against irrational faith and its adherents". Here is a link.

http://www.truthdig.com/dig/item/200512_an_at...

"The atheist is merely a person who believes that the 260 million Americans (87% of the population) who claim to never doubt the existence of God should be obliged to present evidence for his existence and, indeed, for his benevolence, given the relentless destruction of innocent human beings we witness in the world each day. Only the atheist appreciates just how uncanny our situation is: Most of us believe in a God that is every bit as specious as the gods of Mount Olympus; no person, whatever his or her qualifications, can seek public office in the United States without pretending to be certain that such a God exists; and much of what passes for public policy in our country conforms to religious taboos and superstitions appropriate to a medieval theocracy. Our circumstance is abject, indefensible and terrifying. It would be hilarious if the stakes were not so high."
Cool

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
That dude bores me. Was the interview at least entertaining?
You're a creationist, of course intelligence bored you.

Since: Feb 13

Riverside , CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Lets just put it this way, to be religious (any religion) you first have to be taught that religion. But to be an Atheist you dont have to be taught anything at all, its just a natural state of mind and the way we are all born ...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

trekx wrote:
Lets just put it this way, to be religious (any religion) you first have to be taught that religion. But to be an Atheist you dont have to be taught anything at all, its just a natural state of mind and the way we are all born ...
There is a third option, make up your religion as you go along. There are a few theists like this on topix.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
There are no other points of view regarding the subject matter of science.For example, there is a science called obstetrics.

It is still science.
<The only other point of view is stork theory. We will continue with the imperialism of not offering children that choice.
Do you doubt or deny that if your bible taught that children came from storks that you would be arguing for stork theory to be taught in the schools, and calling it indoctrination and imperialism if it weren't?
There is no stork theory in the Bible. It is the product of Scandinavian folklore.

You will not make atheism shine by bashing Christians and spreading disinformation. You will not conquer hatred and intolerance with hatred and intolerance. Atheism must stand on its own merits, whatever those are. That's what you should be promoting.
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

What is your issue with the scientific method?
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Are YOU listening? Is our government?
<quoted text>
If all it takes is one quote to condemn the whole of Christianity in your world then you should not have no problem with one quote indicting science.
"For 200 years we've been conquering Nature. Now we're beating it to death." - Tom McMillan
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
What is your issue with the scientific method?
<quoted text>
Most of the time, scientists know what results they want, and that can influence the results they get.
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Prove it.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the time, scientists know what results they want, and that can influence the results they get.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if that were true (and its not) the second that other scientists tried to replicate the results of the first, the first scientist's work would be exposed - which is why scientists don't try to create a preconceived result. They might hope for a specific result, they might think they are going to get a specific result, but the don't influence the result.

See...that's how science works.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Garbage. If that were true, why is it that scientists are surprised so often? You also forget that scientists are a varied group of people that have different biases and different 'results they want'. That is why peer review is so important: if the data convinces even those who have a bias the other way, you can have some confidence in the results. Finally, the way science works is we attempt to show our theories to be *wrong*. That is, by far, the quickest way to get status in the scientific community. If the ideas survive in spite of many attempts to show them wrong, we can again have increased confidence in them.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious."
-Sam Harris
--American Neuroscientist
What is your point? Do you even have one?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>You're a creationist, of course intelligence bored you.
So the prerequisite for being an atheist is that you must also be an evolutionist? Labels shmabels. I don't fit neatly into any of your little boxes. I'm a free spirit. My own person. I don't find it difficult at all to believe in God as well as the theories of evolution, as laid out by Charles Darwin. lol The Maher guy's just boring cause he's boring. Plus he looks like a walking corpse. Crypt keeper much?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>What is your point? Do you even have one?
Y'all obviously don't as there's no point to arguing just to argue. Which is precisely what this is. There's no clear definitive end to any of this. No mutual grounds of understanding. No real goal for the conversation. It just goes on and on and on...and on. Why should anybody take THAT seriously?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 11,381 - 11,400 of21,328
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••