Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
11,361 - 11,380 of 21,412 Comments Last updated 8 hrs ago

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
Well, that is definitally uncool, prejudiced and bigoted. It's almost beyond belief (no pun intended) to hear that in the 21st century in a modern country. I can tell you that an European leader making such statement would be committing political suicide. We are very PC here, and discrimination on religious ground would not be supported by the public at large. I agree with you.
Thank you. That was mighty congenial of you. Religion is definitely a problem in America. And once it has shrunken to European proportions and its influence been removed from the general culture, I probably won't think about it again.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

rio wrote:
Well, unlike many here, you are the first atheist on this thread who really pitch his tent and explain exactly where he comes from. I salute that!
Thank you again.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

rio wrote:
I really didn't know it was that bad over there. We don't have that problem here, and in fact religious subjects are rarely mentioned in public. You could live near to someone or work with him for years without knowing his religion or lack of. Unless that person wants to display or or try some proselytism on you.
We have plenty of politicians who say they are atheist and that's OK. Why not? Come over here and smell the coffee, as you say ...
Thank you. I like Europe very much. But I've already left America, although not because of the American church.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
Like all atheists, he figured he could do anything as long as there was no God in heaven keeping score.
Like all atheists, huh?

==========

@ Rio: This is an American Christian, and his is the kind of prejudice and continual hate speech that American atheists have always endured. And it is why so many of us are so pleased to have an opportunity at long last to express our gratitude to people like him.

I would be lying if I didn't admit that part of me wants to give the Christians and their church a taste of what its like to be defined this way by a majority - dangerous, utterly without morals, and of no social value. And as you can see from these threads, I'm not alone. There's a lot of bad blood here.

Smarter Christians will understand what is happening and begin to stand down. But the evangelical drones like this one will amplify their assault as their position becomes more tenuous and they feel more threatened. This won't end until they are too few to hear.

You can have a ringside seat for the show right here on Topix. Watch the ranks of the unbelievers grow and become increasingly more outspoken as they have over the four years that I've been posting here.

I'm glad that I was able to provide you the context necessary to understand it.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
I find it helps to have a graphic word-painting, when posting satire.
It's also helpful to depict this religion and its practices in more realistic language. Here's Pat Condell to help us understand the miracle of faith a little better, and to put respect for religion in perspective :

"But religion is more than just a belief. Religion wants to impose a universal morality, which is why is has always attracted the kind of person who thinks other people's private lives are their business. And giving respect to this mentality is exactly what has got us into the mess that we're in. We've given religion ideas above its station, and we've persuaded it that it's something it's not.

"The truth is that faith is nothing more than the deliberate suspension of disbelief. It's an act of will. It's not a state of grace. It's a state of choice, because without evidence, you've got no reason to believe, apart from your willingness to believe. So why is that worthy of respect, any more than your willingness to poke yourself in the eye with a pencil?

"And why is faith considered some kind of virtue? Is it because it implies a certain depth of contemplation and insight? I don't think so. Faith, by definition, is unexamined. So in that sense it has to be among the shallowest of experiences. Yet, if it could, it would regulate every action, word and thought of every single person on this planet, because, let's not forget, even an impure thought is a sin.

"Well, I think that belief in God is an impure thought. It pollutes our understanding of reality. It gets in the way, and it brings out the worst in the best of us, so that we're even prepared to stoop so low as to poison the unformed minds of the people we love the most - our children. By the time they're old enough to think for themselves, it's too late. They've been well and truly hypnotized.

"I'm sorry, but there's no nice way to say this. If you fill your child's mind with images of Satan and the horrors of hellfire, you're a sick individual, and you are mentally ill."

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious."

-Sam Harris

--American Neuroscientist

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
indoctrinated in the sciences without the benefit of other points of view. Rather imperialistic, don't you think?
There are no other points of view regarding the subject matter of science.

For example, there is a science called obstetrics. The only other point of view is stork theory. We will continue with the imperialism of not offering children that choice.

Do you doubt or deny that if your bible taught that children came from storks that you would be arguing for stork theory to be taught in the schools, and calling it indoctrination and imperialism if it weren't?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
If all it takes is one quote to condemn the whole of Christianity in your world then you should not have no problem with one quote indicting science.

"For 200 years we've been conquering Nature. Now we're beating it to death." - Tom McMillan
How does that indict science? Did you think that that was referring to science and scientists? It refers to public policy.

And did you think it a trivial matter that a man who said that,“We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand” was made Secretary of the Interior?

If the environment is being beaten to death, it is by people like him.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Greetings, IANS. Been a while.
Yes, indeed. Nice to see you here. How have you been?
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Except for islamic types in either region- they're by far the most backward of all.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how to answer that. Perhaps. Regarding religion, yes. And sex.
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

rio's goes psycho rather often.
rio is very sensitive about islam for someone "with no religion"!
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally blew your stack, lol.
Thanks Bob!!!!
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

rio goes psycho rather often.
rio is very sensitive about islam for someone "with no religion"!

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious."
-Sam Harris
--American Neuroscientist
Sam Harris was on Bill Maher's show last Friday.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Sam Harris was on Bill Maher's show last Friday.
That dude bores me. Was the interview at least entertaining?

Since: Feb 13

Riverside , CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Lets hope that religion will eventually go away, its the only way we will ever have world peace!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Sam Harris was on Bill Maher's show last Friday.
Youtubed it. It was a very interesting interview. Maher looked like a corpse as always, but the other guy did bring up some good points. Not enough to make me convert, of course. But I could definitely view them objectively. Still gonna hang onto my 1st amendment rights.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

trekx wrote:
Lets hope that religion will eventually go away, its the only way we will ever have world peace!!
Playing devil's advocate, but if you have one worldwide religion which was a single sect you could ? in theory achieve the same thing.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
"I'm sorry, but there's no nice way to say this. If you fill your child's mind with images of Satan and the horrors of hellfire, you're a sick individual, and you are mentally ill."
Agreed. Religion in its devout form is mental illness. Esp. those who have a perverse sense of enjoyment in the imagined eternal punishment of others in hell. UNderstood in this context, being "saved" is not something I would want.

Since: Feb 13

Riverside , CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Playing devil's advocate, but if you have one worldwide religion which was a single sect you could ? in theory achieve the same thing.
Maybe but it would still lack logic and reason. only Atheists have this because we see reality for what it is, not what we hope for it to be ...
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Maybe you could get a mobile to go over your cot?
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
That dude bores me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••