Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,228

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
rio

Beckenham, UK

#12055 Feb 3, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing you have said so far, indicates you are anything but a hateful god-pusher.
You know what?

I couldn't give a f*ck about what you think.

You sound like a demented troll in transe in most of your posts.

To be honest, I shit one just like you every morning!! LOL
rio

Beckenham, UK

#12056 Feb 3, 2013
God in the field: Third of Americans believe divine power decides Super Bowl results

http://rt.com/usa/news/super-bowl-result-god-...

LMFAO

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#12057 Feb 3, 2013
Temper temper. Yes this is the atheist portion of topix. I know your preacher tells your christians like you are superior and so just stomp and be a Christhole everywhere you go because of your Christian superiority. He's wrong.

It's closed minded bigots like you that want to indoctrinate children to creationism in elementary schools dooming many of them to a life without reason.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
This is NOT an atheism forum!
This is Topix, and the thread is about "Atheism to defeat religion by 2038".
So, you are not the only one who can express an opinion here. Maybe you would like this thread to become an Atheist self-appreciation Society, but it ain't happening!
So you can stop the accusation of trolling right there sunshine and climb down from your soapbox.
If you want to be taken seriously, you have to start by hearing others first, and not go on a diatribe accusing others of repeating their preacher or attributing them a religion they don't belong to, bla, bla, bla ...
I am not religious, and I certainly have nothing to do with christianity, or even abrahamic religions, in terms of beliefs. But I am a westerner, and therefore I live in a Christain country, with christian culture, etc...
My opinion is that religions have still far too many followers to be overtaken by atheism by 2038. The reason is that for many people (not in the West) religion is too important to their identity to be abandoned within that short period of time. Religious beliefs are mostly attacked from within in christianity, less in judaism and hardly in islam. As for other religions, they don't seem to have that problem.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#12058 Feb 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Temper temper. Yes this is the atheist portion of topix. I know your preacher tells your christians like you are superior and so just stomp and be a Christhole everywhere you go because of your Christian superiority. He's wrong.
It's closed minded bigots like you that want to indoctrinate children to creationism in elementary schools dooming many of them to a life without reason.
<quoted text>
This thread is on the United Kingdom forum too.
It's not an Atheist Self-Appreciation Society.

Christian like me?

What kind of moron are you?

I have repeated time and time again that I didn't have religion.
Are you stupid or you just like to play stupid?

Lexington, KY

#12059 Feb 3, 2013
My my my what tolerance you have! Your preacher has taught you to be a wonderful open minded malchick eh?

Well my creationism loving sukka, schtoy and breathe.

May I just say that out of the billions of atheists you zealot Christians always go back to Stalin, North Korea ( which holds daily church services btw ) and Pol Pott. If you family came from Russia you would know churches, Jewish tabernacles and even muslim Mosques remained open. Stalin is still considered a hero and saint in the Russian Orthodox Church no matter how much you wail and scream. Sheesh I sure wish you young earth creationist Jesus lovers could come up with something new.

A real Russian family would know that 1: Atheism had nothing to do with Stalin's totalitarian crimes. And 2: Stalin was and is still very popular in Russian culture and religion contrary to popular Christian lead Fox News drooling. While he had blood on his hands he also built up the country mandating children go to school, free healthcare, free college, renovating art centers and churches, jobs for everyone, affordable housing for everyone.

But your preacher doesn't like totally about those things eh?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
My preacher, eh? What a jerk you are!
You probably don't know anything about the USSR and Russia under Stalin and communism; I do. My family comes from Russia.
So I wont let a moron like you pretend it didn't happen when it did! I have plenty of example in my families and relatives of the treatment of believers in the hands of the soviet apparatus, of persecution of church goers, of summary executions, etc...
The Russian Orthodox Church was in fact closed, its patriarch put in jail. Many priets were executed, many followers deportes, etc...
Many church building were demolished, the others converted into barns, schools, cinemas, barracks, etc... or just left in ruins.
Church attendance came to nil. Believers met in secret in each others house; some were denounced, and arrested for it. For many, their fate is still unknown.
That, I can tell you from family recollection. My grand mother had her hand pierced with a bayonet by a soviet soldier because she didn't want to give him a small religious icon she was keeping.
So, don't tell me about the "innocence" of atheism!
Yes, some church were kept, but with no service allowed inside; those were mostly the Russian icons near Red Square and so on; they were empty.
Stalin relaxed his persecution after 1941 and the German invasion: he needed to galvanised the masses, and the Church was an instrument for that. Stalin chose the priests, nominated the Patriarch, etc... and everything done and said was under his control. That's what an atheist state is.
So don't you feel f*cking smugg about it! I have very good reason to criticise an atheist take-over: we have seen where it leads to...
Atheism is like arsenic: in very small dose, it can be beneficial, but in large dose, it kills you!
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#12061 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
...you do not actually watch the real-world news, do you? Sad.
PBS news. Oddly, nobody ever mentions the frightening specter of Christianity lurking in the shadows. I suspect you are one of those conspiracy theory lovin' Faux news aficionados.
They HAVE to-- idiots and morons (such as yourself) would quickly dilute real science with pseudo-babble such as creationism and religion.
In a democracy people are free to think what they will. Despite what you may assume, science is not above scrutiny, or even recrimination.
History taught this lesson too well. In the past? You morons were so afraid of science, that you routinely murdered any and all scientists.
Galileo? Do you remember his murder, at the hands of you anti-science morons?
If you are going to make accusations, at least get your facts straight. Galileo was not murdered. He was allowed to return to his villa at Arcetri near Florence in 1634, where he spent the remainder of his life under house arrest. He died on January 8, 1642 at the age of 77.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei
In elementary schools is where the brainwashing begins.
Indeed. And children in public schools are thoroughly indoctrinated in the sciences without the benefit of other points of view. Rather imperialistic, don't you think?
And that turns out mindless god-robots, like YOU, who deny actual reality itself, to cling to your idiotic notions.
There is no "absolute" reality that we all agree on. There is only what we perceive to be reality. And what we perceive to be reality depends on what we believe.
So, no-- elementary school is MORE off-limits than any other venue. It MUST be.
You are a perfect example of why.
<quoted text>
It IS happening, nationwide. And you moronic fools keep getting bigoted laws passed in the name of your cult (Genuine Christianity™).
So we rationalists MUST oppose you at every turn, in the public sphere.
You are free to abuse yourselves in private all you like-- it IS a free country after all.
Was Osama bin Ladin a relative of yours by any chance? You sound exactly like a Muslim extremist. You are not a rationalist, but an irrationalist. Perhaps a complete psychological evaluation might uncover the reason for your unfounded paranoia.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#12062 Feb 3, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
This thread is on the United Kingdom forum too.
It's not an Atheist Self-Appreciation Society.
Christian like me?
What kind of moron are you?
I have repeated time and time again that I didn't have religion.
Are you stupid or you just like to play stupid?
You are a liar, and demonstrably one.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#12063 Feb 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar, and demonstrably one.
You repeatedly wrote that I was a liar without even saying about what.

That should be interesting...
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#12064 Feb 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? Christian anti-scientism and its apocalyptic eschatology are in large part responsible. Christianity teaches that science and scientists can't be trusted. Why would people so instructed listen to climate scientists?
Are YOU listening? Is our government?
<quoted text>This is also a Christian nicety, something I showed you three days ago. Note his job title. He was entrusted to protect America's natural resources :
“We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand”- James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Reagan
If all it takes is one quote to condemn the whole of Christianity in your world then you should not have no problem with one quote indicting science.

"For 200 years we've been conquering Nature. Now we're beating it to death." - Tom McMillan

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#12065 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Groucho?
http://snipurl.com/26as5yh [image]
Greetings, IANS. Been a while.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#12066 Feb 3, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is the real delusion? The theist does not say he knows with certainty that God exists, he says he believes it. His belief in God therefore does not demand proof since it is based on faith. The atheist, on the other hand, claims to be quite certain that there is no god. Since he claims to be contemptuous of unsupported belief, he must provide some firm foundation for his “knowledge." This he can never do. If there are no proofs that God or gods exist, there are also no proofs they do not exist. The atheist is just as unscientific as he claims the theist is. His stance is just as mired in belief as the theist. The atheist needs to realize that atheism is a belief just as firmly planted in irrationality, in ego and desire, as it claims theism is. Atheism has no proof and no possible proof. It is unscientific. Like all human beliefs, it is conjecture based on a hunch.
No, afraid you've got it all backwards....again.

I have no belief in a god, why should I? Thor, Zeus, Mithras, Allah, Jehova....they're all the same.

All xtians I know (can't speak for ALL like you presume to do) insist that they KNOW a god exists, their faith tells them so. They believe that their heart (a muscle) has been touched, they say that their god has answered their prayers (yep, there is always a 50/50 chance that something will happen one way or another) and many swear it's true that they or someone they know has been the recipient of a 'miracle'(if you got sick but didn't die, that's a good thing, but it would have happened anyway).

Now, again, I have no belief in a god....continued lack of evidence supports this.

You, I take it, have no belief in Thor, Zeus, etc., I just lack belief in one more god than you do. Of the tens of thousands of gods/goddesses/spirits/demons/ angels/pixies/all the stuff people make up to feel safe and cling to the notion of some supernatural afterlife have had their time and passed. So will your god.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#12067 Feb 3, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
"One day [Stalin] and some friends ... lay on the grass in town talking about the injustice of there being rich and poor when he amazed all of them by suddenly saying,'God's not unjust, he doesn't actually exist. We've been deceived. If God existed, he'd had made the world more just.'[His friend exclaimed:]'How can you say such things!'...'I'll lend you a book and you'll see.' He presented [his friend] with a copy of Darwin." - Simon Sebag Montefiore
YAWN (snore-gasm). You would think he would've been glad to have his name taken off of the church's roster. Ach weil, C'est la vie and tally ho;0)

Darwin, lol.....

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#12068 Feb 3, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right about that; I don't know enough about American society to understand how atheists are resented there.
But this thread is on the British forum too, and when I speak about atheism and religion, I mean it's worldwide, and not just in the US.
I have never see such discrimination in UK, certainly not. Nor in other European countries.
I take it that the US are socially backwards compared to Europe. Or is it an exageration?
No, it's an exaggeration.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#12069 Feb 3, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what?
I couldn't give a f*ck about what you think.
You sound like a demented troll in transe in most of your posts.
To be honest, I shit one just like you every morning!! LOL
Finally blew your stack, lol.

Thanks Bob!!!!

Lexington, KY

#12071 Feb 3, 2013
She got busted in some lies and lost her fudge. I suppose she will be due for another name change :)
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally blew your stack, lol.
Thanks Bob!!!!
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#12072 Feb 3, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
No, afraid you've got it all backwards....again.
I have no belief in a god, why should I? Thor, Zeus, Mithras, Allah, Jehova....they're all the same.
All xtians I know (can't speak for ALL like you presume to do) insist that they KNOW a god exists, their faith tells them so. They believe that their heart (a muscle) has been touched, they say that their god has answered their prayers (yep, there is always a 50/50 chance that something will happen one way or another) and many swear it's true that they or someone they know has been the recipient of a 'miracle'(if you got sick but didn't die, that's a good thing, but it would have happened anyway).
Now, again, I have no belief in a god....continued lack of evidence supports this.
You, I take it, have no belief in Thor, Zeus, etc., I just lack belief in one more god than you do. Of the tens of thousands of gods/goddesses/spirits/demons/ angels/pixies/all the stuff people make up to feel safe and cling to the notion of some supernatural afterlife have had their time and passed. So will your god.
Funny thing about beliefs, they tend to become part of one's experience, but not automatically part of the experience of others. As long as people believe in gods, there will be gods.

Lexington, KY

#12073 Feb 3, 2013
There will be the delusion of gods you mean.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny thing about beliefs, they tend to become part of one's experience, but not automatically part of the experience of others. As long as people believe in gods, there will be gods.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#12075 Feb 3, 2013
rio wrote:
If you have that problem in the States, move to Western Europe where atheists are widely accepted. Countries like France, Germany, the Netherlands, even Britain, which are far more tolerant and are full of atheists.
Thanks for the tip.

Fennario

#12076 Feb 3, 2013
rio wrote:
I take it that the US are socially backwards compared to Europe. Or is it an exageration?
I don't know how to answer that. Perhaps. Regarding religion, yes. And sex.

Fennario

#12077 Feb 3, 2013
rio wrote:
Well, that is definitally uncool, prejudiced and bigoted. It's almost beyond belief (no pun intended) to hear that in the 21st century in a modern country. I can tell you that an European leader making such statement would be committing political suicide. We are very PC here, and discrimination on religious ground would not be supported by the public at large. I agree with you.
Thank you. That was mighty congenial of you. Religion is definitely a problem in America. And once it has shrunken to European proportions and its influence been removed from the general culture, I probably won't think about it again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 54 min Carchar king 163
God' existence 1 hr Carchar king 78
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Eagle 12 233,050
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr Eagle 12 2,599
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 5 hr thetruth 202
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 5 hr chris toal 39
Evidence for God! 7 hr thetruth 368
More from around the web