Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 566)

Showing posts 11,301 - 11,320 of21,329
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
I don't feel any right to stop people in their beliefs, which are mostly harmless.
Strongly disagree.
Blogit

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

I have created a website called blogit. The site is like facebook and free for anyone to join... Http://blogit.wall.fm

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
You're just another lying godbot, pretending. I've seen your ilk on Topix in the past. You aren't fooling anyone.
[4] IANS Fourth Law: Anybody calling himself an atheist, agnostic or deist who is arguing with the bulk of atheists around him is a stealth theist until proven otherwise.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

rio wrote:
So, for you tolerating someone is agreeing with him? To me it's just being plainly civilised.
I intend to give Christianity all of the respect that it has given to atheists like me. More, really. Are you good with that?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not religious, and I don't have a religion. But I tolerate anyone.
I don't hate non-believers, I hate the intolerance displayed by some.
I just cannot see why many atheists want to impose their views on others, and dismiss religionists as crank, deluded, supersticious, etc....
Just like I don't agree with religionists imposing their views on others.
There is room for everyone, and we should tolerate each others religious beliefs, or lack of, without engaging in hostilities, verbal or else...
Then why this series of diatribes against nonbelievers? Why is it identical to previous series from Christian fundamentalists?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
The theist does not say he knows with certainty that God exists, he says he believes it.
Not the majority of the ones I hear from.
insidesecrets wrote:
His belief in God therefore does not demand proof since it is based on faith.
Then he needs to keep it out of my life - out of the public square.
insidesecrets wrote:
The atheist, on the other hand, claims to be quite certain that there is no god.
Not I, and not the majority of the ones I hear from.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
The atheist needs to realize that atheism is a belief just as firmly planted in irrationality, in ego and desire, as it claims theism is.
No he doesn't. Atheism is rational skepticism applied to the domain of the supernatural and god claims. BillMaher said it very nicely:

"No. N-n-n-n-no. Itís not fair that people who canít defend their own nonsense get to create a fake fair and balanced argument, the way they do when asserting that evolution and creationism are equally valid ... when it comes to religion, weíre not two sides of the same coin and you donít get to put your un-reason up on the same shelf with my reason. Your stuff has to go over there, on the shelf with Zeus, Thor and The Kraken - with the stuff that is not evidence-based, the stuff that religious people never change their mind about, no matter what happens. Thatís not atheism."
insidesecrets wrote:
Atheism has no proof and no possible proof.
[1] IANS First Law: You cannot successfully refute atheism without producing a god
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The church is hardly that. It's been a devastating institution. In America, it defines who to hate (atheists and gays) and who to disbelieve (scientists, including climate scientists). Both are quite harmful.
<quoted text>
Thanks for your concern.
So you're not into religion, huh? Then you should have no objection to blaspheming the Holy Pigeon.
<quoted text>
Christianity is an infantilizing "tradition." We all suffer for having too many Christians per capita.
I think you project too much what happens in the US on the rest of the world.

Atheists and gays persecuted in America? Tell me more because that's news to me; you seem to be the avant-guard of the gay movement as witness your gay parades, etc... I have been to the States and seen gays openly displaying their homosexuality. Well, maybe not everywhere is like California or New York...
But we don't have that problem in Western Europe where homosexuality and atheism are proudly displayed.

Now, what "church" are you talking abou?, Because there are so many christian denominations in the States (and here)all fighting for audience, that I cannot figure out who is behind that persecution you mentioned. Catholic? Evangelist? Protestant? Pentacostal? etc....

As for global warming, scientists are divided among themselves that the issue is far from clear cut. But I didn't know that YOUR religionists have taken the fight too. It's very quiet on the subject here.

No, I am not into religion, and if you mean the Pope by the Holy Pigeon, I have certainly no allegiance to the catholic church, although I was raised as a catholic. I broke free at the first occasion at 17, when I left home and never attended a service of any kind since. I do not subscribe to any abrahamic religion either, but I toy with the idea there could be a god somewhere, not that I dig much into it, or feel the need to explore that venue. Really, I honestly don't know, one way or the other...

Christianity an infantilizing "tradition? Well probably, but there are plenty of harmless people who follow it without getting involved in the issues you have mentioned. Beside, it's hardly the only religion on the planet, and its overall global influence has been greatly reduced.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
My preacher, eh? What a jerk you are!
You probably don't know anything about the USSR and Russia under Stalin and communism; I do. My family comes from Russia.
So I wont let a moron like you pretend it didn't happen when it did! I have plenty of example in my families and relatives of the treatment of believers in the hands of the soviet apparatus, of persecution of church goers, of summary executions, etc...
The Russian Orthodox Church was in fact closed, its patriarch put in jail. Many priets were executed, many followers deportes, etc...
Many church building were demolished, the others converted into barns, schools, cinemas, barracks, etc... or just left in ruins.
Church attendance came to nil. Believers met in secret in each others house; some were denounced, and arrested for it. For many, their fate is still unknown.
That, I can tell you from family recollection. My grand mother had her hand pierced with a bayonet by a soviet soldier because she didn't want to give him a small religious icon she was keeping.
So, don't tell me about the "innocence" of atheism!
Yes, some church were kept, but with no service allowed inside; those were mostly the Russian icons near Red Square and so on; they were empty.
Stalin relaxed his persecution after 1941 and the German invasion: he needed to galvanised the masses, and the Church was an instrument for that. Stalin chose the priests, nominated the Patriarch, etc... and everything done and said was under his control. That's what an atheist state is.
So don't you feel f*cking smugg about it! I have very good reason to criticise an atheist take-over: we have seen where it leads to...
Atheism is like arsenic: in very small dose, it can be beneficial, but in large dose, it kills you!
In post 11982, you wrote,'There is room for everyone, and we should tolerate each others religious beliefs, or lack of, without engaging in hostilities, verbal or else...' How is the above consistent with that, especially when you begin by calling someone a moron and end by telling him not to be "so f*cking smugg (sic)"? I don't think you're being honest about your beliefs.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
Stalin was an atheist.
Stalin's moral upbringing was the work of his church, which had him into his young adulthood. If humanists had had him first, he would likely have been a better man.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Rio is right about the forum--we in the atheist forum share this thread with the World News, Religion, Europe, and the United Kingdom forums. It's usually a good idea to take a look at the bottom of the page before claiming ownership of a thread on behalf of one's home forum.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I intend to give Christianity all of the respect that it has given to atheists like me. More, really. Are you good with that?
If you have that problem in the States, move to Western Europe where atheists are widely accepted. Countries like France, Germany, the Netherlands, even Britain, which are far more tolerant and are full of atheists.

Here, journalists, scientists, writers, philosophers, academics, politicians, can confess their atheism without any problem.
That's the society I know, and that's why I do not understand why posters from the US are so aggressive and so defensive about their position.
Here, it's just not a problem!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Nice new avatar. What's that under the eye? Eye shadow?
Thanks. I took the idea from Mylan and created a few avatareyes with the background fixed to blend with the topix green.

Yeah, the shadow is from the sun, it's like this 24/7 in the teapot.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
In post 11982, you wrote,'There is room for everyone, and we should tolerate each others religious beliefs, or lack of, without engaging in hostilities, verbal or else...' How is the above consistent with that, especially when you begin by calling someone a moron and end by telling him not to be "so f*cking smugg (sic)"? I don't think you're being honest about your beliefs.
Out of irritation, I probably used profanities against someone who slandered me or keep insinuating something I am not. Nothing to do with religious beliefs or atheism.
Some people here keep insisting that I am christian, bla, bla, bla... when I ma NOT!

I may be tolerant of others' opinions, but I am not a doormat ready to be insulted by someone else!

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
No, there will be religions as long as some people want them. What's your problem in tolerating them? After all, they have to tolerate you!
How do you figure that the religious tolerate us? Secular governments do. The church would burn us today if it could. I asked inisedsecrets this question two days ago, but I guess he elected to evade it. Maybe you could try:

"Can you name one society in history where Christians had the power to burn or impale unbelievers with impunity, but elected not to use it? Can you name one instance of Christians saying, "Yes, we could burn people alive that we don't approve of, but we choose not to do it, because that would be barbaric and sadistic"?"

I used to ask for five. Now I ask for one. How about you? Can you name one?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
It's your intolerance which isn't harmless. I come to think that religionists are more tolerant than atheists like you. You are worst than an Ayatollah !!
You have no basis from which to speak to an American about religion in America, which has a much worse case of Christianity that the UK.

Did you grow up in a closet because your beliefs were deemed outside of the limits of decent society. I did. In my lifetime, American atheists have been called unfit to adopt, coach, teach, serve as jurors or witnesses, hold various elective offices.

Do I resent that? Yep. Do I feel like kicking religion back a little now it's down. Guilty. In the teeth.

You're a Golden Rule kind of guy, right? Then surely you understand that what comes 'round goes 'round.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
Sources of conflicts are mostly social, economic, geographical, politic, etc.... Very rarely religious these days
This is a source of conflict:

"No, I donít know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.ĒĖ George H. W. Bush
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
You have no basis from which to speak to an American about religion in America, which has a much worse case of Christianity that the UK.
Did you grow up in a closet because your beliefs were deemed outside of the limits of decent society. I did. In my lifetime, American atheists have been called unfit to adopt, coach, teach, serve as jurors or witnesses, hold various elective offices.
Do I resent that? Yep. Do I feel like kicking religion back a little now it's down. Guilty. In the teeth.
You're a Golden Rule kind of guy, right? Then surely you understand that what comes 'round goes 'round.
You are right about that; I don't know enough about American society to understand how atheists are resented there.

But this thread is on the British forum too, and when I speak about atheism and religion, I mean it's worldwide, and not just in the US.

I have never see such discrimination in UK, certainly not. Nor in other European countries.

I take it that the US are socially backwards compared to Europe. Or is it an exageration?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
crimes committed by atheists have nothing to do with their philosophy
It depends what their philosophy is. If it's Stalinism, maybe. If it's secular humanism, no. Atheism is not a philosophy.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
This is a source of conflict:
"No, I donít know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.ĒĖ George H. W. Bush
Well, that is definitally uncool, prejudiced and bigoted. It's almost beyond belief (no pun intended) to hear that in the 21st century in a modern country.

I can tell you that an European leader making such statement would be committing political suicide.

We are very PC here, and discrimination on religious ground would not be supported by the public at large.

I agree with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 11,301 - 11,320 of21,329
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••