Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23814 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11833 Feb 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
You do realize that modern medicine is actually harnessed natural processes, right? As in "nature refined," for a more accurate descriptive. You are actually denying that nature works when you deny modern medicine. But your failure to comprehend that shows you know nothing about medicine, or how it works. You know less about science than even a layperson, and less about reality than those with god delusions.
Some of the most useful therapies are natural substances like insulin and thyroid hormone.

There are medical conditions where much less progress has been made, and the available therapies relatively are much less effect while being just as toxic - approaching futile therapy. Patients with such problems will always have bad outcomes and unfortunate stories to tell. No physician can stop it, either, since not surprisingly, such patients change doctors regularly. Recommending that somebody like that stay home rather than press for futile therapy is futile advice. I know. You just lose a patient.

Also, you won't hear as much from the patients with problems that respond well to existing therapies. You have to keep that reporting bias in mind when wading through the message boards of people still looking for answers. They all have horror stories.

The criticisms of medicine are largely valid. It is a treadmill of poisons, runaround, and conflicting advice.

Nevertheless, modern medicine helps many people. The population changed in my time. I showed you the rheumatoid nightmares that we've conquered in that time, and which are now rare. There are others. When I started, congestive heart failure was common. Tons of people had pedal edema and took potent loop diuretics like Lasix. That was unusual by the time I signed out.

Anyway, it's a two edged sword. You need to be an informed and wary consumer. But there is benefit there, too.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11834 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the molecular structure of natural thyroxine and compare it to the synthetic version called Synthroid. The two aren't even close. It is not hard to imagine then why people experience dangerous side effects using this drug.
Synthroid is the name brand, it's levothyroxine sodium, sodium is a common and virtually harmless preservative, and all products that will have a shelf life of more than a week will have to have preservatives. So of course it "looks" different to someone who knows nothing of chemistry, because you don't even know what sodium "looks" like. Sodium is also a very useful molecule for complex living organisms, it's one of our primary nutrients, actually. Typically we get it as salt, which is sodium chloride, table salt is iodized though, and the iodine is the real problem with it, too much will kill you. Salt is one of the basic elements of life itself.

Levothyroxine, or (S)-2-amino-3-[4-(4-hydroxy-3, 5-diiodophenoxy)-3,5-diiodophe nyl]propanoic acid, is thyroxine, they are the same thing, moron. Same molecular structure, thus they are identical. It's just a different name. Here, there's even images of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid_hormone

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11835 Feb 1, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in a wheelchair in the late '90s. I've also had 4 heart attacks. Thanks to the medical work in biological disease modification (and the shots I take every week) and the CABG I endured about 8 years ago, I go dancing regularly (cha-cha & swing are our favorites), I live in a major downtown community and walk everywhere, and I'm headed to Denali in a few months.
I have consulted in the medical private practice arena, so I know the problems of medicine. I also know it's successes. People need to learn to take responsibility for their medical care and realize that the provider is your paid expert but it's still your body.
Thanks for that. Those were exactly the right words at the right time.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11836 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
If if were legal to burn people at the stake, everybody would do it whether religious or not. You fear of Christians in general is what guides your logic, not reason.
Only insane people would burn others at the stake, legal or not. Anyone with a conscience would be against it, even for criminals. You are projecting your psychosis onto everyone now, and that's not healthy at all.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11837 Feb 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of the most useful therapies are natural substances like insulin and thyroid hormone.
There are medical conditions where much less progress has been made, and the available therapies relatively are much less effect while being just as toxic - approaching futile therapy. Patients with such problems will always have bad outcomes and unfortunate stories to tell. No physician can stop it, either, since not surprisingly, such patients change doctors regularly. Recommending that somebody like that stay home rather than press for futile therapy is futile advice. I know. You just lose a patient.
Also, you won't hear as much from the patients with problems that respond well to existing therapies. You have to keep that reporting bias in mind when wading through the message boards of people still looking for answers. They all have horror stories.
The criticisms of medicine are largely valid. It is a treadmill of poisons, runaround, and conflicting advice.
Nevertheless, modern medicine helps many people. The population changed in my time. I showed you the rheumatoid nightmares that we've conquered in that time, and which are now rare. There are others. When I started, congestive heart failure was common. Tons of people had pedal edema and took potent loop diuretics like Lasix. That was unusual by the time I signed out.
Anyway, it's a two edged sword. You need to be an informed and wary consumer. But there is benefit there, too.
It's all about learning, huh? Chemistry was one of my strong subjects, so when I see a medication name I tend to look up the chemical compound and ... well ... I actually "see" how it reacts with other chemicals and can usually predict the end results without even using pen and paper. I love chemistry, and chemicals, the compounds and reactions, the changing of forms. It's exhilarating. I often wish I had stuck with that instead of entering the tech sector, not that I regret my decision, just I may have actually enjoyed that work more.

The biggest issues most people ignore are the side effect counter reactions, they will often try to address the side effects with other medications without ever considering that the cause for the side effects may interact with the medications they take to counter the effects and create some reactions that lead to even worse side effects. Patients should really pay more attention to their health, and too many doctors these days get really pissy when a patient even shows a hint of understanding what's going on. That relationship is gone completely in the US.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11838 Feb 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Synthroid is the name brand, it's levothyroxine sodium, sodium is a common and virtually harmless preservative, and all products that will have a shelf life of more than a week will have to have preservatives. So of course it "looks" different to someone who knows nothing of chemistry, because you don't even know what sodium "looks" like. Sodium is also a very useful molecule for complex living organisms, it's one of our primary nutrients, actually. Typically we get it as salt, which is sodium chloride, table salt is iodized though, and the iodine is the real problem with it, too much will kill you. Salt is one of the basic elements of life itself.
Levothyroxine, or (S)-2-amino-3-[4-(4-hydroxy-3, 5-diiodophenoxy)-3,5-diiodophe nyl]propanoic acid, is thyroxine, they are the same thing, moron. Same molecular structure, thus they are identical. It's just a different name. Here, there's even images of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid_hormone
I don't have to be a chemist to know that synthetic drugs are harmful. I only have to see the evidence in people I know personally who have used these drugs and experienced life threatening side effects.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11839 Feb 1, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
insidesecrets wrote:
To believe you, I would have to take your claims at face value, which I don't.
You don't need to believe Hedonist.

But I do. I can vouch for his claims. He's my Facebook friend. I get some notifications about when and where he's out dancing. I just got one about five hours ago.

I believe that he recently moved from a horse ranch in the South to an apartment in a metropolitan area. Isn't that right, H?

I'm aware of his daughter's recent marriage officiated by a prominent atheist, and his profession. And he has shared particulars about his medical history that I am not at liberty to share. So yes,I know him a little, and although we have never met in meat space, I can vouch for Hedonist.

Will you reject us both?
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11840 Feb 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Only insane people would burn others at the stake, legal or not. Anyone with a conscience would be against it, even for criminals. You are projecting your psychosis onto everyone now, and that's not healthy at all.
Killers ignore their consciences, which allows them to torment and kill their victims.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11841 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
Like weather forecasting, predictions are a tricky business.
Yes they are. Some are easier than others, however. Like eclipses.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11842 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
P.S. I am not guilty by association. I do not hold you personally responsible for past atrocities committed by atheists therefore I owe you no apologies, or reparation and expect none from you.
OK.

No, you are not personally responsible for atrocities of the past. I was just kind of hoping that you regretted them, and would express that regret. It's OK that you didn't.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11843 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to be a chemist to know that synthetic drugs are harmful. I only have to see the evidence in people I know personally who have used these drugs and experienced life threatening side effects.
Um, there's no difference between synthetic and "natural" drugs, other than the fact that with natural sources you get a lot of junk with the chemical compounds, a lot of junk. Getting enough of a chemical compound used for controlling diabetes from natural resources you'd have to consume an entire sewage tank of sewage, just for that one dose.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11844 Feb 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TF67LDICTMV5DH6I L/post11824
<quoted text>
You don't need to believe Hedonist.
But I do. I can vouch for his claims. He's my Facebook friend. I get some notifications about when and where he's out dancing. I just got one about five hours ago.
I believe that he recently moved from a horse ranch in the South to an apartment in a metropolitan area. Isn't that right, H?
I'm aware of his daughter's recent marriage officiated by a prominent atheist, and his profession. And he has shared particulars about his medical history that I am not at liberty to share. So yes,I know him a little, and although we have never met in meat space, I can vouch for Hedonist.
Will you reject us both?
I can disbelieve people without rejecting them.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11845 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Killers ignore their consciences, which allows them to torment and kill their victims.
Um, that's called psychosis, it's a mental condition, and yes, you'd have to be insane to burn someone at the stake.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11846 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
Look at the molecular structure of natural thyroxine and compare it to the synthetic version called Synthroid. The two aren't even close. It is not hard to imagine then why people experience dangerous side effects using this drug.
Is that right?

Natural thyroid hormone comes in several variations, including one called tetraiodothyronine. Here are two of the natural forms, tetra- and tri-iodothyronine. The difference is the absence of one iodine atom on the triodo form:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4db5bPvZ7aw/UF-9ivp...

Here is Synthroid, the pharmaceutical :
http://www.pdr.net/drugpages/images/synthroid...

These are the same molecule, except that the pharmaceutical form is the sodium salt of tetraiodothyronine, a carboxylic acid.

You could have checked that yourself. Do you care if you're right or not?

And what are the dangerous side effects of Synthroid, assuming thyroid function tests are being monitored and the patient given the proper dose? None, right?

Faith based thinking is not very inspirational to me. And the contempt that Christianity teaches for science, reason, and rigor is also quite uninspiring.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11847 Feb 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, that's called psychosis, it's a mental condition, and yes, you'd have to be insane to burn someone at the stake.
Or engage in genocide as did the The Khmer Rouge.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11848 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
If if were legal to burn people at the stake, everybody would do it whether religious or not.
It was legal. Who else was burning people in seventeenth century Salem when it was legal there besides the Christians?

Why are you trying to minimize that utter moral collapse? Where was Jesus or his loving followers - I mean the ones not igniting living, screaming women? Do you want to comment on that? Was your point that it was OK because other people may have wanted to do it as well?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11849 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a criminal and I am not on parole therefore I am not subject to the requirements of a parole board.
I wasn't referring to you, was I? I was referring to the Christian church.

Your indifference is noted.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11850 Feb 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, there's no difference between synthetic and "natural" drugs, other than the fact that with natural sources you get a lot of junk with the chemical compounds, a lot of junk. Getting enough of a chemical compound used for controlling diabetes from natural resources you'd have to consume an entire sewage tank of sewage, just for that one dose.
The only benefit synthetic drugs offer is to lawyers seeking legal compensation for their injured clients.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11851 Feb 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Synthroid is the name brand, it's levothyroxine sodium, sodium is a common and virtually harmless preservative, and all products that will have a shelf life of more than a week will have to have preservatives. So of course it "looks" different to someone who knows nothing of chemistry, because you don't even know what sodium "looks" like. Sodium is also a very useful molecule for complex living organisms, it's one of our primary nutrients, actually. Typically we get it as salt, which is sodium chloride, table salt is iodized though, and the iodine is the real problem with it, too much will kill you. Salt is one of the basic elements of life itself.
Levothyroxine, or (S)-2-amino-3-[4-(4-hydroxy-3, 5-diiodophenoxy)-3,5-diiodophe nyl]propanoic acid, is thyroxine, they are the same thing, moron. Same molecular structure, thus they are identical. It's just a different name. Here, there's even images of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid_hormone
Bingo! Well done.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11852 Feb 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
It's all about learning, huh? Chemistry was one of my strong subjects, so when I see a medication name I tend to look up the chemical compound and ... well ... I actually "see" how it reacts with other chemicals and can usually predict the end results without even using pen and paper. I love chemistry, and chemicals, the compounds and reactions, the changing of forms. It's exhilarating. I often wish I had stuck with that instead of entering the tech sector, not that I regret my decision, just I may have actually enjoyed that work more.
I agree. I enjoyed organic chemistry and biochemistry as well.
KittenKoder wrote:
The biggest issues most people ignore are the side effect counter reactions, they will often try to address the side effects with other medications without ever considering that the cause for the side effects may interact with the medications they take to counter the effects and create some reactions that lead to even worse side effects. Patients should really pay more attention to their health, and too many doctors these days get really pissy when a patient even shows a hint of understanding what's going on. That relationship is gone completely in the US.
Yes. Unfortunately, many doctors are prima donnas. One should avoid them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 min Richard 6,282
Good News for atheists (May '13) 12 min Richard 70
News 10 Signs Religious Fundamentalism Is in Decline (Jan '14) 14 min Richard 108
Atheists are cursed! 1 hr hpcaban 375
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Insults Are Easier 253,674
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr ChristineM 18,890
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Chimney1 27,468
More from around the web