Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 557)

Showing posts 11,121 - 11,140 of21,376
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol You took what I said completely out of context in a pathetic attempt to manipulate it into proving your point. That's just low. Not to mention lazy and uncivilized.
If you wish to be taken seriously, you need to give me an argument to rebut. Your bare claims like this are dismissed out of hand.

If I ever accuse you of taking me out of context, I will repost what you selected from my words right next to the fuller quotation containing the missing context, and show what you did and how.

For example, if I were to post that "I would never say that I don't love my wife," and you quoted me as saying, "I don't love my wife," I would post your snippet beside the whole quote, with relevant context restored to demonstrate what you did.

You didn't do that. Look at what you posted instead. To me, that's low, although I'm quite accustomed to it in these threads.

Or maybe you'd care to try again this time. Make a case this time if you can. Do you have any such evidence to present, or shall we just assume that it was you that took the cheap shot here, which of course is the default position when you can't or won't defend your allegations.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
I don't respect your beliefs. I don't respect faith, and I especially don't respect Christianity or its church.

When did that church ever respect unbelievers? Now you want it from us? Christianity deserves no respect because it offers none.

After centuries of calling us fools, vile, abominations, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, and fit to be dropped into fire still conscious, what exactly are you hoping for now?

Sorry, but I've waited a long time to be able to express how I feel about your religion - how it has maligned, dehumanized and marginalized people like me for the audacity to question it. At long last, we have a safe way to tell you what we think, and in my case at least, respect is not a part of the message.
01Justsayin wrote:
This isn't about respect for religion at all.
It is for me.
01Justsayin wrote:
It's about respect for a fellow human being.
You? I neither respect nor disrespect you. I don't know you. Did you mean politeness? I am being polite. I haven't called you a c*nt yet, have I?

What respect do you expect? You are waving the Christian flag. That's not respectable. You need to be prepared to defend whatever aspects of your church that haven't repudiated.

For example, I showed you several examples of Christian hate speech and all you could say is that your bible is violent. You should have apologized for whoever wrote those words from Psalms and Revelation, and the harm that they have caused people like me. You didn't. No Christian ever has to me.

Sorry, but I don't respect any of that, nor the people who advocate it.
01Justsayin wrote:
I don't respect your views just because they are views. I respect the human being whose views they are.
You seem to be confusing politeness and tact with respect. Topix and message boards are about ideas, not persons. I don't know you, just some of your opinions.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Then what use is Christianity except to the priests making the weekly deposits?

< crickets >
Secular humanism has an excellent record, surpassing both classes of religions - godless religions like Maosim, and supernatural ones like Christianity - both classes of which humanism repudiates :

"We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."
insidesecrets wrote:
Bigoted atheists like yourself give secular humanism a bad name.
On behalf of atheism and atheists, thanks for your concern. We value your Christian opinions on atheism and humanism.
insidesecrets wrote:
Bashing religions won't win you respect, and it certainly won't attract people to your cause.
Discussing Christianity has been very helpful.
insidesecrets wrote:
If atheists expect to be taken seriously enough to conquer the world by 2038, they will have to adopt an approach that engenders trust and acceptance rather than revulsion.
Your suggestion has been forwarded.

BTW, I've recalculated the ETA of the irreligious assuming majority status in America based on the PEW data. "2038" is an extrapolation from the ARIS data charting 1990 to 2008. Average growth of the irreligious category was about 3.5% annually over that period.

Apparently, there has been an acceleration in the rate of America's crossover from religious to irreligious, no doubt because irreligiosity is more socially acceptable. America crossed over at a rate of about 6% per annum between 2007 and 2012.

As a result, disregarding any potential more acceleration or deceleration, we should see Christians hit minority status in America about 2029. Here are the data and calculations if you're so inclined:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in a wheelchair in the late '90s. I've also had 4 heart attacks. Thanks to the medical work in biological disease modification (and the shots I take every week) and the CABG I endured about 8 years ago, I go dancing regularly (cha-cha & swing are our favorites), I live in a major downtown community and walk everywhere, and I'm headed to Denali in a few months.
I have consulted in the medical private practice arena, so I know the problems of medicine. I also know it's successes. People need to learn to take responsibility for their medical care and realize that the provider is your paid expert but it's still your body.
To believe you, I would have to take your claims at face value, which I don't.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

<quoted text>
< crickets >
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
On behalf of atheism and atheists, thanks for your concern. We value your Christian opinions on atheism and humanism.
<quoted text>
Discussing Christianity has been very helpful.
<quoted text>
Your suggestion has been forwarded.
BTW, I've recalculated the ETA of the irreligious assuming majority status in America based on the PEW data. "2038" is an extrapolation from the ARIS data charting 1990 to 2008. Average growth of the irreligious category was about 3.5% annually over that period.
Apparently, there has been an acceleration in the rate of America's crossover from religious to irreligious, no doubt because irreligiosity is more socially acceptable. America crossed over at a rate of about 6% per annum between 2007 and 2012.
As a result, disregarding any potential more acceleration or deceleration, we should see Christians hit minority status in America about 2029. Here are the data and calculations if you're so inclined:
Like weather forecasting, predictions are a tricky business.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
Man is God made physical. Religion, even voodoism, can produce as many examples of miracle cures as proponents of modern medicine can produce facsimiles. It has been said by doctors themselves that medicine isn't a science. It's a belief system centered around the art of second guessing. Unfortunately modern medicine is not about healing. It's about capitalizing on human suffering for profit. No terminal patient who is ready to die for example, wants life forced on him through artificial means. The current controversy around euthanasia or assisted suicide is just one of many dilemmas brought about by modern medicine's attempt to play God.
"For a pediatrician to attack what has become the "bread and butter" (vaccines) of pediatric practice is equivalent to a priest denying the infallibility of the pope." - Dr Robert Mendelsohn, M.D.
OK.

On your posts with points, in the future, please indicate what they are. I thank you for your cooperation in advance.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It is for me.
<quoted text>
You? I neither respect nor disrespect you. I don't know you. Did you mean politeness? I am being polite. I haven't called you a c*nt yet, have I?
What respect do you expect? You are waving the Christian flag. That's not respectable. You need to be prepared to defend whatever aspects of your church that haven't repudiated.
For example, I showed you several examples of Christian hate speech and all you could say is that your bible is violent. You should have apologized for whoever wrote those words from Psalms and Revelation, and the harm that they have caused people like me. You didn't. No Christian ever has to me.
Sorry, but I don't respect any of that, nor the people who advocate it.
<quoted text>
You seem to be confusing politeness and tact with respect. Topix and message boards are about ideas, not persons. I don't know you, just some of your opinions.
P.S. I am not guilty by association. I do not hold you personally responsible for past atrocities committed by atheists therefore I owe you no apologies, or reparation and expect none from you.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that modern medicine is actually harnessed natural processes, right? As in "nature refined," for a more accurate descriptive. You are actually denying that nature works when you deny modern medicine. But your failure to comprehend that shows you know nothing about medicine, or how it works. You know less about science than even a layperson, and less about reality than those with god delusions.
Look at the molecular structure of natural thyroxine and compare it to the synthetic version called Synthroid. The two aren't even close. It is not hard to imagine then why people experience dangerous side effects using this drug.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

can you name one society in history where Christians had the power to burn or impale unbelievers with impunity, but elected not to use it?

< crickets >
Can you name one instance of Christians saying, "Yes, we could burn people alive that we don't approve of, but we choose not to do it, because that would be barbaric and sadistic"?

< sound of pin dropping clearly audible >
insidesecrets wrote:
The practices of medieval Europe are not the practices of 21st century of America.
Correct.
insidesecrets wrote:
You are creating iniquities where none exist....arguing from the past, not the present.
Really? What evidence is there that Christians wouldnpt stone us to death today if they could? Or burn us at the stake? It's not a realistic concern, but only because of the secular state.

Do you doubt that if it were legal to burn people like me as witches starting next month that you wouldn't see somebody burned by Christians - probably for blasphemy - on the first day? If so, on what basis? I can show you posts from Topix posters who would clearly love to torch some of us.

You can't whisk this away by pointing to the date of the last witch burning in North America. That was the last time the church could burn us.

And I don't recall hearing an apology or seeing any other sign of contrition or rehabilitation. Parole boards expect that too.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>So, don't follow the fundamental Christian lead. Got it.
I don't.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
< crickets >
<quoted text>
< sound of pin dropping clearly audible >
<quoted text>
Correct.
<quoted text>
Really? What evidence is there that Christians wouldnpt stone us to death today if they could? Or burn us at the stake? It's not a realistic concern, but only because of the secular state.
Do you doubt that if it were legal to burn people like me as witches starting next month that you wouldn't see somebody burned by Christians - probably for blasphemy - on the first day? If so, on what basis? I can show you posts from Topix posters who would clearly love to torch some of us.
You can't whisk this away by pointing to the date of the last witch burning in North America. That was the last time the church could burn us.
And I don't recall hearing an apology or seeing any other sign of contrition or rehabilitation. Parole boards expect that too.
If if were legal to burn people at the stake, everybody would do it whether religious or not. You fear of Christians in general is what guides your logic, not reason.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
< crickets >
I am not a criminal and I am not on parole therefore I am not subject to the requirements of a parole board.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
You do realize that modern medicine is actually harnessed natural processes, right? As in "nature refined," for a more accurate descriptive. You are actually denying that nature works when you deny modern medicine. But your failure to comprehend that shows you know nothing about medicine, or how it works. You know less about science than even a layperson, and less about reality than those with god delusions.
Some of the most useful therapies are natural substances like insulin and thyroid hormone.

There are medical conditions where much less progress has been made, and the available therapies relatively are much less effect while being just as toxic - approaching futile therapy. Patients with such problems will always have bad outcomes and unfortunate stories to tell. No physician can stop it, either, since not surprisingly, such patients change doctors regularly. Recommending that somebody like that stay home rather than press for futile therapy is futile advice. I know. You just lose a patient.

Also, you won't hear as much from the patients with problems that respond well to existing therapies. You have to keep that reporting bias in mind when wading through the message boards of people still looking for answers. They all have horror stories.

The criticisms of medicine are largely valid. It is a treadmill of poisons, runaround, and conflicting advice.

Nevertheless, modern medicine helps many people. The population changed in my time. I showed you the rheumatoid nightmares that we've conquered in that time, and which are now rare. There are others. When I started, congestive heart failure was common. Tons of people had pedal edema and took potent loop diuretics like Lasix. That was unusual by the time I signed out.

Anyway, it's a two edged sword. You need to be an informed and wary consumer. But there is benefit there, too.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the molecular structure of natural thyroxine and compare it to the synthetic version called Synthroid. The two aren't even close. It is not hard to imagine then why people experience dangerous side effects using this drug.
Synthroid is the name brand, it's levothyroxine sodium, sodium is a common and virtually harmless preservative, and all products that will have a shelf life of more than a week will have to have preservatives. So of course it "looks" different to someone who knows nothing of chemistry, because you don't even know what sodium "looks" like. Sodium is also a very useful molecule for complex living organisms, it's one of our primary nutrients, actually. Typically we get it as salt, which is sodium chloride, table salt is iodized though, and the iodine is the real problem with it, too much will kill you. Salt is one of the basic elements of life itself.

Levothyroxine, or (S)-2-amino-3-[4-(4-hydroxy-3, 5-diiodophenoxy)-3,5-diiodophe nyl]propanoic acid, is thyroxine, they are the same thing, moron. Same molecular structure, thus they are identical. It's just a different name. Here, there's even images of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid_hormone

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in a wheelchair in the late '90s. I've also had 4 heart attacks. Thanks to the medical work in biological disease modification (and the shots I take every week) and the CABG I endured about 8 years ago, I go dancing regularly (cha-cha & swing are our favorites), I live in a major downtown community and walk everywhere, and I'm headed to Denali in a few months.
I have consulted in the medical private practice arena, so I know the problems of medicine. I also know it's successes. People need to learn to take responsibility for their medical care and realize that the provider is your paid expert but it's still your body.
Thanks for that. Those were exactly the right words at the right time.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
If if were legal to burn people at the stake, everybody would do it whether religious or not. You fear of Christians in general is what guides your logic, not reason.
Only insane people would burn others at the stake, legal or not. Anyone with a conscience would be against it, even for criminals. You are projecting your psychosis onto everyone now, and that's not healthy at all.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

<quoted text>
Some of the most useful therapies are natural substances like insulin and thyroid hormone.
There are medical conditions where much less progress has been made, and the available therapies relatively are much less effect while being just as toxic - approaching futile therapy. Patients with such problems will always have bad outcomes and unfortunate stories to tell. No physician can stop it, either, since not surprisingly, such patients change doctors regularly. Recommending that somebody like that stay home rather than press for futile therapy is futile advice. I know. You just lose a patient.
Also, you won't hear as much from the patients with problems that respond well to existing therapies. You have to keep that reporting bias in mind when wading through the message boards of people still looking for answers. They all have horror stories.
The criticisms of medicine are largely valid. It is a treadmill of poisons, runaround, and conflicting advice.
Nevertheless, modern medicine helps many people. The population changed in my time. I showed you the rheumatoid nightmares that we've conquered in that time, and which are now rare. There are others. When I started, congestive heart failure was common. Tons of people had pedal edema and took potent loop diuretics like Lasix. That was unusual by the time I signed out.
Anyway, it's a two edged sword. You need to be an informed and wary consumer. But there is benefit there, too.
It's all about learning, huh? Chemistry was one of my strong subjects, so when I see a medication name I tend to look up the chemical compound and ... well ... I actually "see" how it reacts with other chemicals and can usually predict the end results without even using pen and paper. I love chemistry, and chemicals, the compounds and reactions, the changing of forms. It's exhilarating. I often wish I had stuck with that instead of entering the tech sector, not that I regret my decision, just I may have actually enjoyed that work more.

The biggest issues most people ignore are the side effect counter reactions, they will often try to address the side effects with other medications without ever considering that the cause for the side effects may interact with the medications they take to counter the effects and create some reactions that lead to even worse side effects. Patients should really pay more attention to their health, and too many doctors these days get really pissy when a patient even shows a hint of understanding what's going on. That relationship is gone completely in the US.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Synthroid is the name brand, it's levothyroxine sodium, sodium is a common and virtually harmless preservative, and all products that will have a shelf life of more than a week will have to have preservatives. So of course it "looks" different to someone who knows nothing of chemistry, because you don't even know what sodium "looks" like. Sodium is also a very useful molecule for complex living organisms, it's one of our primary nutrients, actually. Typically we get it as salt, which is sodium chloride, table salt is iodized though, and the iodine is the real problem with it, too much will kill you. Salt is one of the basic elements of life itself.
Levothyroxine, or (S)-2-amino-3-[4-(4-hydroxy-3, 5-diiodophenoxy)-3,5-diiodophe nyl]propanoic acid, is thyroxine, they are the same thing, moron. Same molecular structure, thus they are identical. It's just a different name. Here, there's even images of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid_hormone
I don't have to be a chemist to know that synthetic drugs are harmful. I only have to see the evidence in people I know personally who have used these drugs and experienced life threatening side effects.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
To believe you, I would have to take your claims at face value, which I don't.
You don't need to believe Hedonist.

But I do. I can vouch for his claims. He's my Facebook friend. I get some notifications about when and where he's out dancing. I just got one about five hours ago.

I believe that he recently moved from a horse ranch in the South to an apartment in a metropolitan area. Isn't that right, H?

I'm aware of his daughter's recent marriage officiated by a prominent atheist, and his profession. And he has shared particulars about his medical history that I am not at liberty to share. So yes,I know him a little, and although we have never met in meat space, I can vouch for Hedonist.

Will you reject us both?
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Only insane people would burn others at the stake, legal or not. Anyone with a conscience would be against it, even for criminals. You are projecting your psychosis onto everyone now, and that's not healthy at all.
Killers ignore their consciences, which allows them to torment and kill their victims.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 11,121 - 11,140 of21,376
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min Richardfs 223,976
How anti-atheist stigma affects the mental heal... 3 hr NightSerf 1
A Really Good Thing 4 hr NightSerf 1
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr NightSerf 150
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 4 hr Richardfs 2
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Richardfs 830
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 11 hr religionisillness 349
•••
•••