Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 556)

Showing posts 11,101 - 11,120 of20,841
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>You posted that zombies can be caused by witchcraft.
I think, with the access to education we have today, that makes you a moron.
I think with the access to the Internet we have today, that makes me correct. Google it. Zombie - Originally, a snake- deity of or deriving from West Africa and Haiti. A soulless corpse said to be derived by WITCHCRAFT, esp. in certain African and Caribbean religions.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
then don't waste your time sitting around and judging it.
Why not its good fun :D
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Here's Pat's Dutch polemic: www.youtube.com/watch...

It's about Geert Wilders being found guilty of *whatever*.

I like Pat's work. That said, he's got a blind spot on Israel, in my opinion. It is possible to criticise Israeli policy without being anti Semitic.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I broadly agree with many of Pat Condell's views, but not necessarily the way he expresses them.
Do you know why he is so averse to Dutch courts? "..faith disqualifies reason the way a Dutch criminal court discredits disqualifies truth and witnesses"?(3mins :30secs)
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Mentalist.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I think with the access to the Internet we have today, that makes me correct. Google it. Zombie - Originally, a snake- deity of or deriving from West Africa and Haiti. A soulless corpse said to be derived by WITCHCRAFT, esp. in certain African and Caribbean religions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, you are a specimen, you are always being studied by someone the moment you post anything online or see a medical professional. All living things usually become specimens to us humans, we're curious like that. However, online you become a specimen of a different sort. Each of your words, typos, errors, and reactions to these things becomes part of your profile, eventually those who read enough of your posts will develop a full personality profile of you. Some of us are actually ... well trained in this, but everyone does it. You see, everything you do online is under a microscope, simply because we can.
No opinion you make of me online will be completely accurate as we are online. Not in person. Therefore a thorough evaluation of me cannot be made. Every single one of us evaluate a person based upon first impression. That doesn't necessarily make them a specimen or you a scientist. Nor does the fact that you can do it make you somehow better trained than anyone else. It simply makes you human just like the rest of us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Believing in something without evidence suggesting it is fantasy. Believing that your fantasy is fact is delusion. You crossed the line from fantasy to delusion a long time ago, and that means you are a possible threat to the safety of those around you. You gave up the right to not be analyzed when you did that.

Who gave you the right to do the analyzing? Or to define what I believe in as being fantasy? Or label me as delusional? Did I miss the PhD in Psychology in front of your name? Choosing to believe or not believe in any given thing does not necessarily label one as a threat to the safety of those around them. Also where is this invisible line I have supposedly crossed? Is that even logical?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>So ... you stone non-believers and children. Good that you admit that.
I haven't stoned anybody. Once again, your anger is misplaced.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Yes exactly I wondered why that idiot left out where god has then kill all the non believers instead of letting them learn their lesson and say go out to tell everyone.

This is the morals of their holy book so is it any wonder they are so intolerant and bigoted to non believers?
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. I'd forgotten about that one. Jeepers, what a terrible book, and they teach that stuff to give to kids.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

1: Already stated. Your lack of facts and reason certainly does not help your cause.
2: You are unable to show how your god is anything other than a fantasy hence you are defined as living in such.
3: What else do you call someone who lives by delusion as you do?
4: Credentials in specialities tend to go after the name. Example Dr. John Smith DDS. Wow you are really bad at this! Oh well that's what you get for trying to preach your imagination to atheists.
5: Tell that to the Christ loving Muslims blowing themselves up for your god.
6: It is indeed logical but logic is difficult for one such as yourself who lives under the chains of superstition and delusion.

Perhaps you should change your screen name to just failing?
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Who gave you the right to do the analyzing? Or to define what I believe in as being fantasy? Or label me as delusional? Did I miss the PhD in Psychology in front of your name? Choosing to believe or not believe in any given thing does not necessarily label one as a threat to the safety of those around them. Also where is this invisible line I have supposedly crossed? Is that even logical?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, I'm not even gonna go there. Have fun with that.
So in other words, you just want to decry something just to decry it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't stoned anybody. Once again, your anger is misplaced.
Interesting. You do know that I don't get angry, right? That's a strange side effect of education.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Being alive is what gave me that right, being human is what gave me the drive to. It's a trait that is actually useful to any species capable of self perpetuated advance. As for the rest, well, you don't know. Even if I said I was a professional psychologist there is no way to provide solid evidence of that. I could say I work for the CIA, but couldn't prove that to you in any sane or legal way. So make all the assumptions about me you want, because every assumption you make tells us all more about the quality of, or lack thereof, your character.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what use is Christianity except to the priests making the weekly deposits?
Secular humanism has an excellent record, surpassing both classes of religions - godless religions like Maosim, and supernatural ones like Christianity - both classes of which humanism repudiates :
"We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."
Love unites. Hatred divides. This is as true today as it was centuries ago. Bigoted atheists like yourself give secular humanism a bad name. Bashing religions won't win you respect, and it certainly won't attract people to your cause. If atheists expect to be taken seriously enough to conquer the world by 2038, they will have to adopt an approach that engenders trust and acceptance rather than revulsion.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's quite a statement coming from a theist.
Are you contradicting or challenging her claim?
<quoted text>
Straw man.
What is relevant to Kitten's comment is that repairing the physical body is better than being unable to. Ameliorating disease is a huge achievement compared to being unable to impact it at all. And prolonging life through the use of drugs is better than dying sooner.
Are you one of those Christians that demeans the achievements of man to promote the Christian position that man is worthless and totally dependent on a god? Do you resent reading about man's triumphs, especially secular man?
Because I'm from the anti-human defamation league, and we're here to oppose that pernicious and demotivational message. Man is a truly remarkable ape - the closest thing to a god that we know of.
Man is God made physical.

Religion, even voodoism, can produce as many examples of miracle cures as proponents of modern medicine can produce facsimiles. It has been said by doctors themselves that medicine isn't a science. It's a belief system centered around the art of second guessing. Unfortunately modern medicine is not about healing. It's about capitalizing on human suffering for profit. No terminal patient who is ready to die for example, wants life forced on him through artificial means. The current controversy around euthanasia or assisted suicide is just one of many dilemmas brought about by modern medicine's attempt to play God.

"For a pediatrician to attack what has become the "bread and butter" (vaccines) of pediatric practice is equivalent to a priest denying the infallibility of the pope." - Dr Robert Mendelsohn, M.D.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Are you kidding me? Why did you post this if not to smear all atheists - including secular humanists - with the deeds of unrelated ideologies?:
"The historical record of collective atheism is thousands of times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst and most infamous bloodbath, the Spanish Inquisition."
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
And so what if not all Christians burned witches? Do you all need to light one up for it to be a problem? Should it matter to me that only half of you would burn me?
Finally, can you name one society in history where Christians had the power to burn or impale unbelievers with impunity, but elected not to use it? Can you name one instance of Christians saying, "Yes, we could burn people alive that we don't approve of, but we choose not to do it, because that would be barbaric and sadistic"?
Me, neither.
The practices of medieval Europe are not the practices of 21st century of America. You are creating iniquities where none exist....arguing from the past, not the present.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, actually, it's not "using drugs" that extends life, it's the fact that ailments which were death sentences can now be taken care of with quick surgeries, or occasionally a medication if it's viral or bacterial. Your existential garbage is what has caused more suffering by "praying" in place of medicine or seeing witch doctors. Modern medicine doesn't tell people what to believe, but it has saved my life numerous times. In order to live your last years in perfect health you have to die of an accident at the age of 20, any older and you will get sick ... a lot, and you will need modern medicine.
I don't subscribe to the assumption that modern medicine can do better than Nature. I believe the body is fully capable of healing itself and think the high priests of chemical and surgical carnage not only interfer with this natural process but compromise human health in many instances. Read the comments on medical message boards by people caught on an endless carousel.....seeing one doctor after another, taking one prescription drug after another to counter the side effects of these drugs instead of the malady itself. The more one depends on agencies outside of himself, the more he is dominated by them.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't subscribe to the assumption that modern medicine can do better than Nature. I believe the body is fully capable of healing itself and think the high priests of chemical and surgical carnage not only interfer with this natural process but compromise human health in many instances. Read the comments on medical message boards by people caught on an endless carousel.....seeing one doctor after another, taking one prescription drug after another to counter the side effects of these drugs instead of the malady itself. The more one depends on agencies outside of himself, the more he is dominated by them.
You do realize that modern medicine is actually harnessed natural processes, right? As in "nature refined," for a more accurate descriptive. You are actually denying that nature works when you deny modern medicine. But your failure to comprehend that shows you know nothing about medicine, or how it works. You know less about science than even a layperson, and less about reality than those with god delusions.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in a wheelchair in the late '90s. I've also had 4 heart attacks. Thanks to the medical work in biological disease modification (and the shots I take every week) and the CABG I endured about 8 years ago, I go dancing regularly (cha-cha & swing are our favorites), I live in a major downtown community and walk everywhere, and I'm headed to Denali in a few months.

I have consulted in the medical private practice arena, so I know the problems of medicine. I also know it's successes. People need to learn to take responsibility for their medical care and realize that the provider is your paid expert but it's still your body.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
<snip> If atheists expect to be taken seriously enough to conquer the world by 2038, they will have to adopt an approach that engenders trust and acceptance rather than revulsion.
So, don't follow the fundamental Christian lead. Got it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I broadly agree with many of Pat Condell's views, but not necessarily the way he expresses them.
Do you know why he is so averse to Dutch courts? "..faith disqualifies reason the way a Dutch criminal court discredits disqualifies truth and witnesses"?(3mins :30secs)
No. I assumed that it was a Anglicism related to a historical dispute - like Dutch treat.

Yes, Condell's style is quite aggressive. He also made a video criticizing those who want him to lighten up. It might offend you. From http://www.youtube.com/watch... :

"there was plenty of negative feedback as well from the usual religious nut jobs, but also from some atheists who have told me that they think I'm giving atheism a bad name. Yeah right. Like it ever had a good name. I've been told things like my arguments are too crude, I'm damaging the atheist cause, I'm not contributing to the debate, and my personal favorite: "You won't convert anyone to atheism by insulting people.

[snip]

"I don't think this is a matter for polite debate, especially when all you're going to get is the usual raft of glibly held but unexamined certainties hammered home like coffin nails at every opportunity. Because dogma is blind and deaf to anything that reason has to offer. Faith is non-negotiable, so where exactly is the debate? You obey the rules of reason; religion ignores them ...

"Religion is out of control right now precisely because too many people have been too diplomatic for too long. If we'd had the balls to do some straight talking years ago when we should have and put this insulting nonsense in its rightful place with astrology and palmistry, we wouldn't even be talking about this now. We'd be doing something more useful with our time. What a waste of an enlightenment."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 11,101 - 11,120 of20,841
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••