Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
11,061 - 11,080 of 21,382 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Two opinions zero facts.:) anyways you left out the part in this myth where Elijah had each and every non believer in Yahweh killed after the magic trick.

Why did you leave out the wholesale slaughter like that? It is after all what your god commanded.

Your same god sent bears to maul children for calling his prophet bald head.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
My opinion on what you said earlier is this:
1 Kings 18: 21-39 (bear with me)
"Elijah went before the people and said,'How long will you waver between two opinions?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
Atheist just hate this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
We do? I've performed that song live. It's a great song that sounds as modern today as when it was recorded.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Two opinions zero facts.:) anyways you left out the part in this myth where Elijah had each and every non believer in Yahweh killed after the magic trick.
Why did you leave out the wholesale slaughter like that? It is after all what your god commanded.
Your same god sent bears to maul children for calling his prophet bald head.
<quoted text>
Good point. I'd forgotten about that one. Jeepers, what a terrible book, and they teach that stuff to give to kids.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
Ya know, I have had time to take a step back and calm down a little. I allowed myself to get angry earlier, and I'm just not gonna let myself stoop to that level again.
Great. There is already too much hatred for unbelievers in the Christian community. It isn't your world any more.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Great. There is already too much hatred for unbelievers in the Christian community. It isn't your world any more.
Its that darn book. It teaches them to hate other people. If it tells you that the majority of people are no better than fuel for hellfire, then you no longer view them as human beings. Thats one reason why believers has such a low opinion of non christians.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
Please feel free to challenge my beliefs. I have nothing to hide. All that I ask is that you do so with respect because that is precisely how I'm gonna treat you.
Respect?

I don't respect your beliefs. I don't respect faith, and I especially don't respect Christianity or its church.

When did that church ever respect unbelievers? Now you want it from us? Christianity deserves no respect because it offers none.

After centuries of calling us fools, vile, abominations, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, and fit to be dropped into fire still conscious, what exactly are you hoping for now?

Sorry, but I've waited a long time to be able to express how I feel about your religion - how it has maligned, dehumanized and marginalized people like me for the audacity to question it. At long last, we have a safe way to tell you what we think, and in my case at least, respect is not a part of the message.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
The R.C. church and other religious groups haven't yet realised that their game is over. Many people are no longer even willing to pay lip-service to the church ...
There you go. Nicely stated.

This is a wonderful video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch... [Your faith is a joke ]

And another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch... [Why does faith deserve respect?]

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Its that darn book. It teaches them to hate other people. If it tells you that the majority of people are no better than fuel for hellfire, then you no longer view them as human beings. Thats one reason why believers has such a low opinion of non christians.
Agreed.

It's time for good people to take a stand against this toxic institution. Christian doctrine is atheophobic, homophobic, misanthropic, sexually repressive, and antiscientific. It promotes guilt, shame, blame, fear, strife, and ignorance. It talks about love but teaches scapegoating. It talks about accountability but offers itself cheap forgiveness on demand. It talks about mercy as well as a hell from which there is no hope of escape or comfort.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
Proof that God exists:
1) TRANSCENDENTAL ARGUMENT, a.k.a. PRESUPPOSITIONALIST (I)
(1) If reason exists then God exists.
(2) Reason exists.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
2) COSMOLOGICAL ARGUMENT, a.k.a. FIRST CAUSE ARGUMENT (I)
(1) If I say something must have a cause, it has a cause.
(2) I say the universe must have a cause.
(3) Therefore, the universe has a cause.
(4) Therefore, God exists.
3) ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (I)
(1) I define God to be X.
(2) Since I can conceive of X, X must exist.
4) ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) I can conceive of a perfect God.
(2) One of the qualities of perfection is existence.
5) MODAL ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT
(1) God is either necessary or unnecessary.
(2) God is not unnecessary, therefore God must be necessary.
6) ARGUMENT FROM DESIGN, a.k.a. GOD OF THE GAPS, a.k.a. TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (I)
(1) Check out the world/universe/giraffe. Isn't it complex?
(2) Only God could have made them so complex.
7) ARGUMENT FROM BEAUTY, a.k.a. DESIGN/TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) Isn't that baby/sunset/flower/tree beautiful?
(2) Only God could have made them so beautiful.
This post (and the next one) show you are either a Poe or that you cannot read for meaning. What you quoted is a *parody* of the arguments used to prove the existence of God. It was a *joke*. It was showing what is *wrong* with the standard arguments for the existence of God.

Now, go back and *read* what you copied and pasted. Think about what it is saying. If you cannot see that it is a *joke*, then you are incapable of understanding anything other than simple, declarative statements.

On the other hand, if you are a Poe, bravo...you did well.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously...this is a joke - right?
It was originally. Either our friend can't read or is a Poe.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
Proof of God's existence (continued)
8) ARGUMENT FROM MIRACLES (I)
(1) My aunt had cancer.
(2) The doctors gave her all these horrible treatments.
(3) My aunt prayed to God and now she doesn't have cancer.
(4) Therefore, God exists.
9) MORAL ARGUMENT (I)
(1) Person X, a well-known atheist, was morally inferior to the rest of us.
(2) Therefore, God exists.
10) MORAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) In my younger days I was a cursing, drinking, smoking, gambling, child-molesting, thieving, murdering, bed-wetting bastard.
(2) That all changed once I became religious.
11) ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
12) ARGUMENT FROM FEAR
(1) If there is no God then we're all going to not exist after we die.
(2) I'm afraid of that.
13) ARGUMENT FROM THE BIBLE
(1)[arbitrary passage from OT]
(2)[arbitrary passage from NT]
14) ARGUMENT FROM INTELLIGENCE
(1) Look, there's really no point in me trying to explain the whole thing to you stupid atheists; it's too complicated for you to understand. God exists whether you like it or not.
Seriously, you can't see the irony dripping from the pages? Read what you post.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
Proof that God exists (continued further)
15) ARGUMENT FROM UNINTELLIGENCE
(1) Okay, I don't pretend to be as intelligent as you guys — you're obviously very well read. But I read the Bible, and nothing you say can convince me that God does not exist. I feel him in my heart, and you can feel him too, if you'll just ask him into your life. "For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son into the world, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish from the earth." John 3:16.
16) ARGUMENT FROM BELIEF
(1) If God exists, then I should believe in Him.
(2) I believe in God.
17) ARGUMENT FROM INTIMIDATION, a.k.a. TOMAS DE TORQUEMADA'S ARGUMENT
(1) See this bonfire?
18) PARENTAL ARGUMENT
(1) My mommy and daddy told me that God exists.
19) ARGUMENT FROM NUMBERS
(1) Billions of people believe in God.
(2) They can't all be wrong, can they?
20) ARGUMENT FROM ABSURDITY
(1) Maranathra!
21) ARGUMENT FROM ECONOMY
(1) God exists, you bastards!
22) BOATWRIGHT'S ARGUMENT
(1) Ha ha ha.
23) ARGUMENT FROM INTERNET AUTHORITY
(1) There is a website that successfully argues for the existence of God.
(2) Here is the URL.
24) ARGUMENT FROM INCOMPREHENSIBILITY
(1) Flabble glurk zoom boink blubba snurgleschnortz ping!
(2) No one has ever refuted (1).
Masterful examples of religious 'reasoning'.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Modern medicine does have its advantages. Though you can't guarantee that someone will get sick at any age let alone after the age of 20. There are too many variables. In order to be able to predict every one of them, you would have to be omnipresent.
Your god has failed to heal one person. There is zero record of "faith" or "prayer" healing anyone. None. Science heals, your god kills, yet you revere your god and bash science. Your faith is weak, if you truly had faith, you'd walk into the desert with nothing, not even clothing, and wander there for 40 days and 40 nights. I know you won't, ever, because you know your religion is nothing but a delusion.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Pharmaceuticals have a much greater application than that. When was the last time you saw deforming rheumatoid arthritis?:
http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/251070/350w...
This was common when I began my practice in the early eighties. It's malpractice to allow that to happen today.
Ah yeah, but I don't know as much on the subject as you do so I do expect you to be able to correct me a lot on the matter. ;) I can only speak from personal experience and what little I have managed to study on my own, which probably shies in comparison to what you know on the matter.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

dunno bout this one

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>No, you're just disagreeing with facts.
Honestly whatever I choose to agree with or not agree with isn't the real issue here. Truthfully, I am entitled to believe any way I choose. Those choices, which are my own, have absolutely no affect on you. Just like yours have no affect on me. They shouldn't bother you so much.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

<quoted text>
There you go. Nicely stated.
This is a wonderful video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch... [Your faith is a joke ]
And another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch... [Why does faith deserve respect?]
I broadly agree with many of Pat Condell's views, but not necessarily the way he expresses them.

Do you know why he is so averse to Dutch courts? "..faith disqualifies reason the way a Dutch criminal court discredits disqualifies truth and witnesses"?(3mins :30secs)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>So basically you have no response to the post, but you are willing to act like a even bigger dipshit because I responded in kind to yours?

Anger is not my way, but please understand that when and if I ever have any anger, I will be the one to decide where to guide it to.

Reach for it, whatever you've got, bring it and I will still treat you like a speciman to either be examined, or maybe even mocked.
*chuckles* Which is precisely your problem. I am not a specimen. I am not intended to be examined under anyone's microscope. I am a living breathing human being. I have my own thoughts, my own emotions, my own beliefs. None of which make me a dipshit. Quite frankly I find your hostility to be uncalled for and utterly unenlightened. Insults are the lowest form of dialog. Which is exactly why I'm not choosing to resort to them. I'm not low. So, yeah, I very much so responded to your post. Was it with facts? No Then again I don't need them to describe why I believe what I believe. That should be enough. If you can't be okay with the idea of someone thinking or believing contrary to you then that's really your problem isn't it? Guide your anger in any way you choose. That's all you. It still has no business on my doorstep.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I've agreed to nothing.
Fortunately for you, you don't have to. Nor do I. Moving on.
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

You posted that zombies can be caused by witchcraft.
I think, with the access to education we have today, that makes you a moron.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly whatever I choose to agree with or not agree with isn't the real issue here. Truthfully, I am entitled to believe any way I choose. Those choices, which are my own, have absolutely no affect on you. Just like yours have no affect on me. They shouldn't bother you so much.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min waaasssuuup 224,042
Our world came from nothing? 26 min Patrick 186
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Patrick 832
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 1 hr Patrick 16
Of Interest InTheNews 1 hr Patrick 3
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 1 hr Patrick 359
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 23 hr Patrick 1,285
•••
•••