Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,981

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#11743 Feb 1, 2013
holdencolfield75 wrote:
Why is everyone so mean on the internet?
Lol Doesn't make any sense does it? Maybe some people feel braver hiding behind their computer monitors.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#11744 Feb 1, 2013
I make evidence based decisions.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol I take it you didn't like my humor. Shall we agree to disagree?
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#11745 Feb 1, 2013
"everyone" is a bit sweeping.
holdencolfield75 wrote:
Why is everyone so mean on the internet?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#11746 Feb 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
But one thing a destruction of modern civilization would do? Is wipe out the majority of religions from the planet.
When the chips are down, and survival is at stake, humans show they don't have time or energy to maintain huge edifices dedicated to fantasies.
Whatever religion(s) do survive, will likely bear little resemblance to any of the current brands.
I would not be at all surprised to see some version of "the force" or "jedi", or even "star trek" as the dominant religion(s), post- collapse.
:)
The Elvis and Michael Jackson cults will fit right in with that mess. ;)

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#11747 Feb 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I make evidence based decisions.
It's settled then. We shall agree to disagree :)

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#11748 Feb 1, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're just disagreeing with facts.

Earth,TX

#11749 Feb 1, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya know, I have had time to take a step back and calm down a little. I allowed myself to get angry earlier, and I'm just not gonna let myself stoop to that level again. There's enough aggression and anger amongst the atheist community as it is. My adding to that isn't gonna help anything. Out of respect for your right to your beliefs as a fellow human being, I am choosing to take the high road. Kindly keep your misguided anger off my doorstep, and we're good. Corner me, and I will more than likely bare my teeth. No disrespect. I'm only human.
So basically you have no response to the post, but you are willing to act like a even bigger dipshit because I responded in kind to yours?

Anger is not my way, but please understand that when and if I ever have any anger, I will be the one to decide where to guide it to.

Reach for it, whatever you've got, bring it and I will still treat you like a speciman to either be examined, or maybe even mocked.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#11750 Feb 1, 2013
I've agreed to nothing.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>

Earth,TX

#11751 Feb 1, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
My opinion on what you said earlier is this:
1 Kings 18: 21-39 (bear with me)
"Elijah went before the people and said,'How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is god, follow him.' But the people said nothing. Then Elijah said to them,'I am the only one of the Lord's prophets left, but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets. Get two bulls for us. Let Baal's prophets choose one for themselves, and let them cut it into pieces and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire - he is God.' Then all the people said,'What you say is good.' Elijah said to the prophets of Baal,'Choose one of the bulls and prepare it first, since there are so many of you. Call on the name of your god, but do not light the fire.' So they took the bull given them and prepared it. Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon.'Baal, answer us!' they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the alter they had made. At noon Elijah began to taunt them.'Shout louder!' he said.'Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.' So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed. Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention. Then Elijah said to all the people,'Come here to me.' They came to him, and he repaired the alter of the Lord, which had been torn down. Elijah took twelve stones, one for each of the tribes descended from Jacob, to whom the word of the Lord had come, saying,'Your name shall be Israel.' With the stones he built an alter in the name of the Lord, and he dug a trench around it large enough to hold two seahs of seed. He arranged the wood, cut the bull into pieces and laid it on the wood. Then he said to them,'Fill four large jars with water and pour it on the offering and on the wood.''Do it again,' he said, and they did it again.'Do it a third time,' he ordered, and they did it a third time. The water ran down around the alter and even filled the trench. At the time of sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed:'Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command. Answer me, Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again.' Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and soil, and also licked up the water in the trench. When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried, "The Lord - he is God! The Lord - he is God!"
Though I have the utmost respect for your belief, I respect the God I serve more. I don't feel the need to show you he is real. I believe he is powerful enough to show you that himself.
So no evidence to prove any of it? That is what we have come to expect. It seems the repetition is endless, some diversity would be nice. Could you maybe act like a bible believer and tell us why your god would need to threaten parents with being forced to et their children, or why he just didn't not put the Satan/snake in the garden with his innocent children? He knew what was going to happen, and he decided that he loved those children enough to hand about 90% of them, or so to the Satan snake later.

Of course he shows himself .... in toast and in the book. No whhere else ever.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11752 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
I am saying that atheists are as guilty of committing atrocities as you claim Christians are.
Then what use is Christianity except to the priests making the weekly deposits?

Secular humanism has an excellent record, surpassing both classes of religions - godless religions like Maosim, and supernatural ones like Christianity - both classes of which humanism repudiates :

"We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#11753 Feb 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
His back was against the wall the first post he made on the subject. Now he's just spamming garbage for the sake of garbage.
WHO does it mimic? Three guesses?

Fennario

#11755 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
I am saying that atheists are as guilty of committing atrocities as you claim Christians are.
KittenKoder wrote:
Yes, atheists with totalitarian agendas, but not all atheists. Or do we blame all christians for the witch hunts, Crusades, Inquisition ... and many others?
He's making a category error comparing atheists and Christians. Atheists' counterparts are theists, and Christian is only one class of theist.

He's also being dishonest characterizing atheism using the worst variation of it.

We're secular humanistic atheists, unlike the doctrinaire, totalitarian atheists with whom we are being equated. Conflating the atrocities of Stalin or Pol Pot with secular humanism, an unrelated type of atheist, is like criticizing Jainism using 9/11.

This religion and its culture of dishonesty and calumny can't die fast enough for me.

Fennario

#11756 Feb 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
We're living a lot longer, all thanks to medical science.
insidesecrets wrote:
You believe what modern medicine wants you to believe.
That's quite a statement coming from a theist.

Are you contradicting or challenging her claim?
KittenKoder wrote:
Repairing the physical body is not the same as healing it. Ameliorateing diseases is not the same as curing them. Prolonging life through the use of drugs is not the same as living one's last years in good health.
Straw man.

What is relevant to Kitten's comment is that repairing the physical body is better than being unable to. Ameliorating disease is a huge achievement compared to being unable to impact it at all. And prolonging life through the use of drugs is better than dying sooner.

Are you one of those Christians that demeans the achievements of man to promote the Christian position that man is worthless and totally dependent on a god? Do you resent reading about man's triumphs, especially secular man?

Because I'm from the anti-human defamation league, and we're here to oppose that pernicious and demotivational message. Man is a truly remarkable ape - the closest thing to a god that we know of.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#11757 Feb 1, 2013
You have been properly warned about posting walls of text spam. Reported.
MUQ wrote:
Strange Unanimity:
1. Do you not think that this is a strange behaviour.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#11758 Feb 1, 2013
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/01/nss...
The R.C. church and other religious groups haven't yet realised that their game is over. Many people are no longer even willing to pay lip-service to the church and this idea that they can dictate people's relationships and what a marriage is and is not won't be tolerated indefinitely.

Religion = superstition and has no special place in education any more.

Lexington, KY

#11759 Feb 1, 2013
I am sure he thighed her an ancient Muslim, christian and Jewish tradition.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Moohumud force-married her when she was 6.
He claims he waited until she was 9... but Moohumud was also illiterate, so I doubt he could count, either.
Putting his claims of waiting in serious doubt. It's more likely that she didn't reach puberty until 9, when his repeated sexual attacks would finally yield offspring.
He was one sick f*** for sure. No wonder Islam is so Effed up.

Lexington, KY

#11760 Feb 1, 2013

Fennario

#11761 Feb 1, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
You cannot paint all Christians with the same broad brush. Not all Christians burned witches at the stake, not all of them participated in the Crusades and Inquisition.
Are you kidding me? Why did you post this if not to smear all atheists - including secular humanists - with the deeds of unrelated ideologies?:

"The historical record of collective atheism is thousands of times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst and most infamous bloodbath, the Spanish Inquisition."
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

And so what if not all Christians burned witches? Do you all need to light one up for it to be a problem? Should it matter to me that only half of you would burn me?

Finally, can you name one society in history where Christians had the power to burn or impale unbelievers with impunity, but elected not to use it? Can you name one instance of Christians saying, "Yes, we could burn people alive that we don't approve of, but we choose not to do it, because that would be barbaric and sadistic"?

Me, neither.

Lexington, KY

#11762 Feb 1, 2013
It's like he went all Derek on us copy and pasting walls of text spam instead of answering a question.

Opinions are not facts no matter how much the believer wants them to be.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're plagerizing WordPress opinion pieces. Exactly how low will you stoop?
And this one talks about ethics. Apparently you have none.

Fennario

#11763 Feb 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Um, actually, it's not "using drugs" that extends life, it's the fact that ailments which were death sentences can now be taken care of with quick surgeries, or occasionally a medication if it's viral or bacterial.
Pharmaceuticals have a much greater application than that. When was the last time you saw deforming rheumatoid arthritis?:
http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/251070/350w...

This was common when I began my practice in the early eighties. It's malpractice to allow that to happen today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 13 min waaasssuuup 229,898
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Reason Personified 1,007
Islam for peace, or violence? 6 hr Thinking 26
Man center of the universe. 10 hr Thinking 85
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Fri Thinking 6
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 16 Mikko 1,401
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... Oct 16 tha Professor 146

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE