Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
11,021 - 11,040 of 21,446 Comments Last updated Sunday Aug 17
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, they get sick a lot less, each advance tends to result in fewer people getting sick. Not to mention people are not dying nearly as much today as they were 30 years ago. We're living a lot longer, all thanks to medical science.
So, it's working. Your fallacy is: http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-d...
You believe what modern medicine wants you to believe. Repairing the physical body is not the same as healing it. Ameliorateing diseases is not the same as curing them. Prolonging life through the use of drugs is not the same as living one's last years in good health.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, atheists with totalitarian agendas, but not all atheists. Or do we blame all christians for the witch hunts, Crusades, Inquisition ... and many others? Anyone with a totalitarian agenda will commit atrocities, it's a means to an end for that type of thinking, it has nothing to do with belief or lack of belief. However, the god delusion masks many other very dangerous psychosis.
You cannot paint all Christians with the same broad brush. Not all Christians burned witches at the stake, not all of them participated in the Crusades and Inquisition.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot paint all Christians with the same broad brush. Not all Christians burned witches at the stake, not all of them participated in the Crusades and Inquisition.
Way to not read the post you are responding to.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe what modern medicine wants you to believe. Repairing the physical body is not the same as healing it. Ameliorateing diseases is not the same as curing them. Prolonging life through the use of drugs is not the same as living one's last years in good health.
Um, actually, it's not "using drugs" that extends life, it's the fact that ailments which were death sentences can now be taken care of with quick surgeries, or occasionally a medication if it's viral or bacterial. Your existential garbage is what has caused more suffering by "praying" in place of medicine or seeing witch doctors. Modern medicine doesn't tell people what to believe, but it has saved my life numerous times. In order to live your last years in perfect health you have to die of an accident at the age of 20, any older and you will get sick ... a lot, and you will need modern medicine.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not religion that holds science back, but the gross limitations of its own pedestrian thought.
Religion gives mankind hope.
I see.

You'll be all for Islam, then.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>You cannot paint all Christians with the same broad brush. Not all Christians burned witches at the stake, not all of them participated in the Crusades and Inquisition.
Agreed

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Um, actually, it's not "using drugs" that extends life, it's the fact that ailments which were death sentences can now be taken care of with quick surgeries, or occasionally a medication if it's viral or bacterial. Your existential garbage is what has caused more suffering by "praying" in place of medicine or seeing witch doctors. Modern medicine doesn't tell people what to believe, but it has saved my life numerous times. In order to live your last years in perfect health you have to die of an accident at the age of 20, any older and you will get sick ... a lot, and you will need modern medicine.
Modern medicine does have its advantages. Though you can't guarantee that someone will get sick at any age let alone after the age of 20. There are too many variables. In order to be able to predict every one of them, you would have to be omnipresent.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Atheist just hate this!

&au toplay=1

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
Atheist just hate this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WPPlGFh6OpQXX&autoplay=1
Because it illustrates your dedication, admiration and involvement in a vampire cannibal death cult?

No, not at all. I like the song. Always have.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Scroll up, dumbass. I'm still waiting for an answer to my question. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?
If it don't exist, there is no evidence .... Dipshit!

Evidence would mean it did exist, and there is none.

No evidence, no existence. Maybe you got some evidence? Come on pull it out of your hat? Show us.

It will make you famous, you will be the first ever. There are lot's of gods which haven't been proven to be real, and none that have. We're waiting.

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
Attention all atheists: Scientific evidence does exist proving the existence of God.(look for my postings on other threads. Look it up elsewhere. I won't repeat myself) However you cannot answer this one simple question: What evidence or proof do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist? You can't prove it. There is no evidence. Therefore your entire belief in the absence of God is based on lies instead of evidence. Your belief is FALSE. Case closed. End of story.
LOL! That there is no evidence, flat out proves there are no gods. Tell us again how there is no evidence.
Taking lessons in contradiction from the buybull?

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the ignorant one. Atheism- the theory or BELIEF that God does not exist. You contradict yourself.
Atheism = without theism. We will define it, you just try to follow along, and maybe you will begin to see why a god who would make a parent eat their children, really holds no appeal for us, plus there is the non existence of not only him, but of all the gods. We are without theism, we also are non believers.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

No.
01Justsayin wrote:
Proof that God exists:
1) TRANSCENDENTAL ARGUMENT, a.k.a. PRESUPPOSITIONALIST (I)
(1) If reason exists then God exists.
(2) Reason exists.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
2) COSMOLOGICAL ARGUMENT, a.k.a. FIRST CAUSE ARGUMENT (I)
(1) If I say something must have a cause, it has a cause.
(2) I say the universe must have a cause.
(3) Therefore, the universe has a cause.
(4) Therefore, God exists.
3) ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (I)
(1) I define God to be X.
(2) Since I can conceive of X, X must exist.
4) ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) I can conceive of a perfect God.
(2) One of the qualities of perfection is existence.
5) MODAL ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT
(1) God is either necessary or unnecessary.
(2) God is not unnecessary, therefore God must be necessary.
6) ARGUMENT FROM DESIGN, a.k.a. GOD OF THE GAPS, a.k.a. TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (I)
(1) Check out the world/universe/giraffe. Isn't it complex?
(2) Only God could have made them so complex.
7) ARGUMENT FROM BEAUTY, a.k.a. DESIGN/TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) Isn't that baby/sunset/flower/tree beautiful?
(2) Only God could have made them so beautiful.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Bollocks, you mentalist.

I know someone on Humira that is totally active and contributing.
If they weren't injecting Humira every two weeks, they'd be crippled up in agony with no quality of life.

None of your witch doctors could alter that.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>If it don't exist, there is no evidence .... Dipshit!

No evidence, no existence. Maybe you got some evidence? Come on pull it out of your hat? Show us.

It will make you famous, you will be the first ever. There are lot's of gods which haven't been proven to be real, and none that have. We're waiting.
Ya know, I have had time to take a step back and calm down a little. I allowed myself to get angry earlier, and I'm just not gonna let myself stoop to that level again. There's enough aggression and anger amongst the atheist community as it is. My adding to that isn't gonna help anything. Out of respect for your right to your beliefs as a fellow human being, I am choosing to take the high road. Kindly keep your misguided anger off my doorstep, and we're good. Corner me, and I will more than likely bare my teeth. No disrespect. I'm only human.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>If it don't exist, there is no evidence .... Dipshit!

My opinion on what you said earlier is this:
1 Kings 18: 21-39 (bear with me)
"Elijah went before the people and said,'How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is god, follow him.' But the people said nothing. Then Elijah said to them,'I am the only one of the Lord's prophets left, but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets. Get two bulls for us. Let Baal's prophets choose one for themselves, and let them cut it into pieces and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire - he is God.' Then all the people said,'What you say is good.' Elijah said to the prophets of Baal,'Choose one of the bulls and prepare it first, since there are so many of you. Call on the name of your god, but do not light the fire.' So they took the bull given them and prepared it. Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon.'Baal, answer us!' they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the alter they had made. At noon Elijah began to taunt them.'Shout louder!' he said.'Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.' So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed. Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention. Then Elijah said to all the people,'Come here to me.' They came to him, and he repaired the alter of the Lord, which had been torn down. Elijah took twelve stones, one for each of the tribes descended from Jacob, to whom the word of the Lord had come, saying,'Your name shall be Israel.' With the stones he built an alter in the name of the Lord, and he dug a trench around it large enough to hold two seahs of seed. He arranged the wood, cut the bull into pieces and laid it on the wood. Then he said to them,'Fill four large jars with water and pour it on the offering and on the wood.''Do it again,' he said, and they did it again.'Do it a third time,' he ordered, and they did it a third time. The water ran down around the alter and even filled the trench. At the time of sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed:'Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command. Answer me, Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again.' Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and soil, and also licked up the water in the trench. When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried, "The Lord - he is God! The Lord - he is God!"

Though I have the utmost respect for your belief, I respect the God I serve more. I don't feel the need to show you he is real. I believe he is powerful enough to show you that himself.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
There's enough aggression and anger amongst the atheist community as it is.
Believers interpret criticism of belief as anger, because they are overly-sensitive. Christians are happy enough to criticise paganism, islam, other gods etc.

I'd say questioning belief, is much more milder than say, saying someone is going to hellfire.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Why is everyone so mean on the internet?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>No.
Lol I take it you didn't like my humor. Shall we agree to disagree?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>Believers interpret criticism of belief as anger, because they are overly-sensitive. Christians are happy enough to criticise paganism, islam, other gods etc.

I'd say questioning belief, is much more milder than say, saying someone is going to hellfire.
Lol You couldn't be more right with your last statement. Nice! I can't speak for other believers. I can only speak for myself. Personally, it's not the criticism that pisses me off. It's the anger, hate, and violence that comes across with it. From an outside perspective, this seems to happen most of the time. The fact that you believe differently from me doesn't bother me at all. If anything it interests me. Please feel free to challenge my beliefs. I have nothing to hide. All that I ask is that you do so with respect because that is precisely how I'm gonna treat you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 1 hr Siro 76
If Christianity were true... 1 hr Thinking 121
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Thinking 225,513
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 2 hr Thinking 98
Richard Dawkins jumps yet another shark 2 hr Thinking 30
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 4 hr NightSerf 131
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 7 hr NightSerf 285
•••
•••