Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11713 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
Proof that God exists:
1) TRANSCENDENTAL ARGUMENT, a.k.a. PRESUPPOSITIONALIST (I)
(1) If reason exists then God exists.
(2) Reason exists.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
2) COSMOLOGICAL ARGUMENT, a.k.a. FIRST CAUSE ARGUMENT (I)
(1) If I say something must have a cause, it has a cause.
(2) I say the universe must have a cause.
(3) Therefore, the universe has a cause.
(4) Therefore, God exists.
3) ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (I)
(1) I define God to be X.
(2) Since I can conceive of X, X must exist.
4) ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) I can conceive of a perfect God.
(2) One of the qualities of perfection is existence.
5) MODAL ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT
(1) God is either necessary or unnecessary.
(2) God is not unnecessary, therefore God must be necessary.
6) ARGUMENT FROM DESIGN, a.k.a. GOD OF THE GAPS, a.k.a. TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (I)
(1) Check out the world/universe/giraffe. Isn't it complex?
(2) Only God could have made them so complex.
7) ARGUMENT FROM BEAUTY, a.k.a. DESIGN/TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) Isn't that baby/sunset/flower/tree beautiful?
(2) Only God could have made them so beautiful.
1. Presupposition.
2. Presupposition.
3. Delusion.
4. Delusion.
5. False dichotomy.
6. Presupposition.
7. Argument from ignorance.

All fallacies, all debunked a million times over, all pointless garbage used by people to remain lazy.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11714 Jan 31, 2013
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>Got backed into a corner did you?
His back was against the wall the first post he made on the subject. Now he's just spamming garbage for the sake of garbage.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#11715 Jan 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So explain how it is that medical science works?
It doesn't. People continue to get sick.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#11716 Jan 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
His back was against the wall the first post he made on the subject. Now he's just spamming garbage for the sake of garbage.
Yea, man they can squirm can’t they?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11717 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't. People continue to get sick.
Well, they get sick a lot less, each advance tends to result in fewer people getting sick. Not to mention people are not dying nearly as much today as they were 30 years ago. We're living a lot longer, all thanks to medical science.

So, it's working. Your fallacy is: http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-d...
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#11718 Jan 31, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think would be the difference if Pol Pot and Mao had been Christians? Are you implying that that would have saved lives? Hitler and Stalin were raised in Christianity. It didn't seem to make much difference, did it? Not any more than it did during the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem witch burnings.
Totalitarian ideologies like Stalinism are simply religions like Christianity and Islam, but with human gods. They are all cults of personality, where worship of the leader and strict devotion to his pronouncements is demanded. They are equally authoritarian and intolerant, and as you noted, each have long histories of genocide.
Secular humanism, which is only guilty of giving the world modern liberal democracies, human rights, and science, repudiates it all:
"We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."
<quoted text>
Every member of the Supreme Court that voted with the majority in Roe vs. Wade was a theist. Most abortions have been requested by Christian women. I'm afraid that blood is on your hands.
I am saying that atheists are as guilty of committing atrocities as you claim Christians are.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#11719 Jan 31, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
If "the god!" is beyond all intellectual thought or imaginings able to be conceived of by man, then, how can you make that statement?
Wait, don't tell me, you know.
<laughs>
You missed this part apparently. ".....and religious myths, are the touchstones of our NATURAL DIVINITY expressed.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#11720 Jan 31, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Seriously...this is a joke - right?
Lol Yeah.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11721 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I am saying that atheists are as guilty of committing atrocities as you claim Christians are.
Yes, atheists with totalitarian agendas, but not all atheists. Or do we blame all christians for the witch hunts, Crusades, Inquisition ... and many others? Anyone with a totalitarian agenda will commit atrocities, it's a means to an end for that type of thinking, it has nothing to do with belief or lack of belief. However, the god delusion masks many other very dangerous psychosis.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#11722 Jan 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, they get sick a lot less, each advance tends to result in fewer people getting sick. Not to mention people are not dying nearly as much today as they were 30 years ago. We're living a lot longer, all thanks to medical science.
So, it's working. Your fallacy is: http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-d...
You believe what modern medicine wants you to believe. Repairing the physical body is not the same as healing it. Ameliorateing diseases is not the same as curing them. Prolonging life through the use of drugs is not the same as living one's last years in good health.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#11723 Jan 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, atheists with totalitarian agendas, but not all atheists. Or do we blame all christians for the witch hunts, Crusades, Inquisition ... and many others? Anyone with a totalitarian agenda will commit atrocities, it's a means to an end for that type of thinking, it has nothing to do with belief or lack of belief. However, the god delusion masks many other very dangerous psychosis.
You cannot paint all Christians with the same broad brush. Not all Christians burned witches at the stake, not all of them participated in the Crusades and Inquisition.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11724 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot paint all Christians with the same broad brush. Not all Christians burned witches at the stake, not all of them participated in the Crusades and Inquisition.
Way to not read the post you are responding to.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11725 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe what modern medicine wants you to believe. Repairing the physical body is not the same as healing it. Ameliorateing diseases is not the same as curing them. Prolonging life through the use of drugs is not the same as living one's last years in good health.
Um, actually, it's not "using drugs" that extends life, it's the fact that ailments which were death sentences can now be taken care of with quick surgeries, or occasionally a medication if it's viral or bacterial. Your existential garbage is what has caused more suffering by "praying" in place of medicine or seeing witch doctors. Modern medicine doesn't tell people what to believe, but it has saved my life numerous times. In order to live your last years in perfect health you have to die of an accident at the age of 20, any older and you will get sick ... a lot, and you will need modern medicine.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#11726 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not religion that holds science back, but the gross limitations of its own pedestrian thought.
Religion gives mankind hope.
I see.

You'll be all for Islam, then.

Location hidden

#11727 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>You cannot paint all Christians with the same broad brush. Not all Christians burned witches at the stake, not all of them participated in the Crusades and Inquisition.
Agreed

Location hidden

#11728 Jan 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Um, actually, it's not "using drugs" that extends life, it's the fact that ailments which were death sentences can now be taken care of with quick surgeries, or occasionally a medication if it's viral or bacterial. Your existential garbage is what has caused more suffering by "praying" in place of medicine or seeing witch doctors. Modern medicine doesn't tell people what to believe, but it has saved my life numerous times. In order to live your last years in perfect health you have to die of an accident at the age of 20, any older and you will get sick ... a lot, and you will need modern medicine.
Modern medicine does have its advantages. Though you can't guarantee that someone will get sick at any age let alone after the age of 20. There are too many variables. In order to be able to predict every one of them, you would have to be omnipresent.

Langoliers

Location hidden

#11729 Jan 31, 2013
Atheist just hate this!

&au toplay=1

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#11731 Jan 31, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
Atheist just hate this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WPPlGFh6OpQXX&autoplay=1
Because it illustrates your dedication, admiration and involvement in a vampire cannibal death cult?

No, not at all. I like the song. Always have.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Earth,TX

#11732 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Scroll up, dumbass. I'm still waiting for an answer to my question. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?
If it don't exist, there is no evidence .... Dipshit!

Evidence would mean it did exist, and there is none.

No evidence, no existence. Maybe you got some evidence? Come on pull it out of your hat? Show us.

It will make you famous, you will be the first ever. There are lot's of gods which haven't been proven to be real, and none that have. We're waiting.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Earth,TX

#11733 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
Attention all atheists: Scientific evidence does exist proving the existence of God.(look for my postings on other threads. Look it up elsewhere. I won't repeat myself) However you cannot answer this one simple question: What evidence or proof do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist? You can't prove it. There is no evidence. Therefore your entire belief in the absence of God is based on lies instead of evidence. Your belief is FALSE. Case closed. End of story.
LOL! That there is no evidence, flat out proves there are no gods. Tell us again how there is no evidence.
Taking lessons in contradiction from the buybull?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 30 min Flurtz3940 21,884
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Brian_G 23,701
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 5 hr Richardfs 5,730
bigger fish to fry (Jul '11) 5 hr IB DaMann 3
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 hr IB DaMann 258,050
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 22 hr IB DaMann 94
What are the best arguments against religion? Sat Richardfs 8
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Fri scientia potentia... 48,864
More from around the web