Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 20 comments on the Apr 25, 2012, Psychology Today story titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#11640 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
Stop Gish Galloping and write a coherent post with your best evidence.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#11641 Jan 31, 2013
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#11642 Jan 31, 2013
A bit off-topic:
https://www.au.org/church-state/january-2013-...

Entirely off-topic:
Source: The Economist magazine:
"During the decade before the economic crisis, spending on legal services in America grew twice as fast as inflation. The best lawyers made skyscrapers-full of money, tempting ever more students to pile into law schools. But most law graduates never get a big-firm job. Many of them instead become the kind of nuisance-lawsuit filer that makes the tort system a costly nightmare. According to a study in 2006, America has more lawyers per person of its population than any of 29 countries studied (except Greece), and it spends two to three times as much on its tort system, as a percentage of GDP, as other big economies (except Italy, where things are nearly as bad)."
Unquote.

Hopefully, a bit interesting.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11643 Jan 31, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
"I attack this book because it is the enemy of human liberty -- the greatest obstruction across the highway of human progress." - Robert Green Ingersoll
“We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake.”- Catherine Fahringer
"Religion prevents our children from having a rational education; religion prevents us from removing the fundamental causes of war; religion prevents us from teaching the ethic of scientific cooperation in place of the old fierce doctrines of sin and punishment. It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion." - Bertrand Russell
What has Christianity given the world of value?
It is not religion that holds science back, but the gross limitations of its own pedestrian thought.

Religion gives mankind hope.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11644 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
Your issue has to do with your intolerance of Christianity.
Intolerance of Christianity? Are you kidding?

You'll find that we're far more tolerant of you than you have ever been of us. For example, you'll find that if you want to nail a chicken dipped in goat blood and a stick with jingly bells and dance all night shaking the chicken and stick at the moon if that's what gives your life meaning, moral grounding, and a framework for understanding the universe, nobody will try to burn you alive for it.

I promise you that we won't burn you at the stake, impale you in the iron maiden, or stretch or twist you on the rack. That already makes unbelievers more tolerant of Christians than Christians have been of unbelievers.

Nor will we call you vile, abominations, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, nor fit to be dropped into a lake of fire while fully conscious.

We're going to show you mercy. You wouldn't like justice very well.

Is that tolerant enough?

Fennario

#11645 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
That switch wouldn't be there if it weren't for the availability of God given "natural resources". Doctors who can't explain a sudden remission or complete recovery from a traumatic head injury often call these unexplained events,"miracles".
Your god gets credit for nothing until you demonstrate its existence. Until you do, Santa has equal claim to the credit for existence.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11647 Jan 31, 2013
<quoted text>
Your god gets credit for nothing until you demonstrate its existence. Until you do, Santa has equal claim to the credit for existence.
Fortunately for mankind, the mechanics behind life do not depend on your ridiculous theorizing in order to operate.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11648 Jan 31, 2013
<quoted text>
Intolerance of Christianity? Are you kidding?
You'll find that we're far more tolerant of you than you have ever been of us. For example, you'll find that if you want to nail a chicken dipped in goat blood and a stick with jingly bells and dance all night shaking the chicken and stick at the moon if that's what gives your life meaning, moral grounding, and a framework for understanding the universe, nobody will try to burn you alive for it.
I promise you that we won't burn you at the stake, impale you in the iron maiden, or stretch or twist you on the rack. That already makes unbelievers more tolerant of Christians than Christians have been of unbelievers.
Nor will we call you vile, abominations, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, nor fit to be dropped into a lake of fire while fully conscious.
We're going to show you mercy. You wouldn't like justice very well.
Is that tolerant enough?
Atheists never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for power and self gain (ergo communism).

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#11649 Jan 31, 2013

Location hidden

#11650 Jan 31, 2013

Location hidden

#11651 Jan 31, 2013

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11652 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the ignorant one. Atheism- the theory or BELIEF that God does not exist. You contradict yourself.
I'm the atheist, therefore I choose what it means, it means I lack the belief in a god, that's the dictionary definition as well. End of story.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11653 Jan 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet, you pretend you do comprehend it, all theists do.
If theists could comprehend what cannot be objectified there would not be so many versions of God. God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intelletual thought and religons the touchstones of our "sensed" divinity expressed.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11654 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately for mankind, the mechanics behind life do not depend on your ridiculous theorizing in order to operate.
So explain how it is that medical science works?

Location hidden

#11655 Jan 31, 2013

Location hidden

#11656 Jan 31, 2013
http://creation.mo bi/atheist-god-hate

Location hidden

#11657 Jan 31, 2013

Fennario

#11658 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
Yet the world did survive, and went on to suffer the atrocities of godless communist regimes where millions of people were maimed and killed ... The historical record of collective atheism is thousands of times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst and most infamous bloodbath, the Spanish Inquisition.
What do you think would be the difference if Pol Pot and Mao had been Christians? Are you implying that that would have saved lives? Hitler and Stalin were raised in Christianity. It didn't seem to make much difference, did it? Not any more than it did during the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem witch burnings.

Totalitarian ideologies like Stalinism are simply religions like Christianity and Islam, but with human gods. They are all cults of personality, where worship of the leader and strict devotion to his pronouncements is demanded. They are equally authoritarian and intolerant, and as you noted, each have long histories of genocide.

Secular humanism, which is only guilty of giving the world modern liberal democracies, human rights, and science, repudiates it all:

"We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."
insidesecrets wrote:
Add this to the unholy gruesome slaughter of abortion and the numbers are unconscionably staggering!
Every member of the Supreme Court that voted with the majority in Roe vs. Wade was a theist. Most abortions have been requested by Christian women. I'm afraid that blood is on your hands.

Fennario

#11659 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
Atheism - The theory or BELIEF that God does not exist.(google it) There most certainly is scientific evidence that God is real. Look it up. I ain't doing your work for you. However there is NO SCIENTIFIC evidence to prove that God does not exist. It's not possible. You just can't do it. The mere BELIEF that God does not exist is a BELIEF within itself. Ergo you are a hypocrite.
What value would a proof that gods do not or cannot exist be? Who would it benefit? Not me. And not you. Right?

Location hidden

#11660 Jan 31, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 17 min Aura Mytha 238,199
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr Freebird USA 9,336
News Confessions of a black atheist 1 hr Samoan Irish 413
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Denisova 18,697
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 6 hr prophecydotorg 7,408
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 10 hr ChristineM 2,062
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 10 hr Thinking 6,105
More from around the web