Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 548)

Showing posts 10,941 - 10,960 of21,333
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Since we don't have a belief in a god, your whole point fails. Stop trying to rewrite things you know nothing of.
You're the ignorant one. Atheism- the theory or BELIEF that God does not exist. You contradict yourself.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Modern man sees himself at the top of a natural hierachy and his place in the order of creation as a dominator and conqueror. "If some stuff will make you happy, then twice as much stuff will make you twice as happy." This myth has become a core belief in the cultures of America, much of Europe and most of the developing world with disastrous results.

Without respect for all living things, without the capacity to live in harmony with the natural world, we have brought ourselves to the brink of extinction. We must, as a culture, rediscover where the point of enough IS materially...why destroying life in our quest for enough is counterproductive. The continual glorification of killing through nationalism and media and dominant cultural beliefs only guarantees more pain and human suffering. Turn off your cell phones and game boxes and take a walk among the trees. Thank them for providing protection, security and life giving resources. This simple act of acknowledgement and gratitude if done daily, will do more to engender a reverence for living things than all of the philosophical, religious and scientific theorizing combined. Man cannot exist without Nature. Do this simple act as if your survival depends on it, because it does.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
Attention all atheists: Scientific evidence does exist proving the existence of God.(look for my postings on other threads. Look it up elsewhere. I won't repeat myself) However you cannot answer this one simple question: What evidence or proof do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist? You can't prove it. There is no evidence. Therefore your entire belief in the absence of God is based on lies instead of evidence. Your belief is FALSE. Case closed. End of story.
Even a child knows you can't prove a negative. Did you even go to school?

One doesn't have to prove something DOESN'T exist, one has to prove something DOES exist.

There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof of any god's existence.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
Attention all atheists: Scientific evidence does exist proving the existence of God.(look for my postings on other threads. Look it up elsewhere. I won't repeat myself) However you cannot answer this one simple question: What evidence or proof do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist? You can't prove it. There is no evidence. Therefore your entire belief in the absence of God is based on lies instead of evidence. Your belief is FALSE. Case closed. End of story.
LOL! Pigeon Chess!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

serfs up wrote:
The western world would have never risen to its pre eminent level with an easier life then most in the world without Christianity.
"I attack this book because it is the enemy of human liberty -- the greatest obstruction across the highway of human progress." - Robert Green Ingersoll

“We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake.”- Catherine Fahringer

"Religion prevents our children from having a rational education; religion prevents us from removing the fundamental causes of war; religion prevents us from teaching the ethic of scientific cooperation in place of the old fierce doctrines of sin and punishment. It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion." - Bertrand Russell

What has Christianity given the world of value?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
Stop Gish Galloping and write a coherent post with your best evidence.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

A bit off-topic:
https://www.au.org/church-state/january-2013-...

Entirely off-topic:
Source: The Economist magazine:
"During the decade before the economic crisis, spending on legal services in America grew twice as fast as inflation. The best lawyers made skyscrapers-full of money, tempting ever more students to pile into law schools. But most law graduates never get a big-firm job. Many of them instead become the kind of nuisance-lawsuit filer that makes the tort system a costly nightmare. According to a study in 2006, America has more lawyers per person of its population than any of 29 countries studied (except Greece), and it spends two to three times as much on its tort system, as a percentage of GDP, as other big economies (except Italy, where things are nearly as bad)."
Unquote.

Hopefully, a bit interesting.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
"I attack this book because it is the enemy of human liberty -- the greatest obstruction across the highway of human progress." - Robert Green Ingersoll
“We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake.”- Catherine Fahringer
"Religion prevents our children from having a rational education; religion prevents us from removing the fundamental causes of war; religion prevents us from teaching the ethic of scientific cooperation in place of the old fierce doctrines of sin and punishment. It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion." - Bertrand Russell
What has Christianity given the world of value?
It is not religion that holds science back, but the gross limitations of its own pedestrian thought.

Religion gives mankind hope.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
Your issue has to do with your intolerance of Christianity.
Intolerance of Christianity? Are you kidding?

You'll find that we're far more tolerant of you than you have ever been of us. For example, you'll find that if you want to nail a chicken dipped in goat blood and a stick with jingly bells and dance all night shaking the chicken and stick at the moon if that's what gives your life meaning, moral grounding, and a framework for understanding the universe, nobody will try to burn you alive for it.

I promise you that we won't burn you at the stake, impale you in the iron maiden, or stretch or twist you on the rack. That already makes unbelievers more tolerant of Christians than Christians have been of unbelievers.

Nor will we call you vile, abominations, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, nor fit to be dropped into a lake of fire while fully conscious.

We're going to show you mercy. You wouldn't like justice very well.

Is that tolerant enough?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
That switch wouldn't be there if it weren't for the availability of God given "natural resources". Doctors who can't explain a sudden remission or complete recovery from a traumatic head injury often call these unexplained events,"miracles".
Your god gets credit for nothing until you demonstrate its existence. Until you do, Santa has equal claim to the credit for existence.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Your god gets credit for nothing until you demonstrate its existence. Until you do, Santa has equal claim to the credit for existence.
Fortunately for mankind, the mechanics behind life do not depend on your ridiculous theorizing in order to operate.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Intolerance of Christianity? Are you kidding?
You'll find that we're far more tolerant of you than you have ever been of us. For example, you'll find that if you want to nail a chicken dipped in goat blood and a stick with jingly bells and dance all night shaking the chicken and stick at the moon if that's what gives your life meaning, moral grounding, and a framework for understanding the universe, nobody will try to burn you alive for it.
I promise you that we won't burn you at the stake, impale you in the iron maiden, or stretch or twist you on the rack. That already makes unbelievers more tolerant of Christians than Christians have been of unbelievers.
Nor will we call you vile, abominations, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, nor fit to be dropped into a lake of fire while fully conscious.
We're going to show you mercy. You wouldn't like justice very well.
Is that tolerant enough?
Atheists never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for power and self gain (ergo communism).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the ignorant one. Atheism- the theory or BELIEF that God does not exist. You contradict yourself.
I'm the atheist, therefore I choose what it means, it means I lack the belief in a god, that's the dictionary definition as well. End of story.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet, you pretend you do comprehend it, all theists do.
If theists could comprehend what cannot be objectified there would not be so many versions of God. God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intelletual thought and religons the touchstones of our "sensed" divinity expressed.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately for mankind, the mechanics behind life do not depend on your ridiculous theorizing in order to operate.
So explain how it is that medical science works?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,941 - 10,960 of21,333
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••