Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24083 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Thinking

Ashford, UK

#11610 Jan 31, 2013
No violence. I saw you call "reason personified" a "dumbass" for no real reason so I have decided what sort of poster you are.

Why did you quotemine the Atheism definition? Because you're a hypocrite.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFL! So much violence and aggression! Wow. I'm not a hypocrite as I know what I believe and why I believe it and I don't engage in the same behaviors I condemn others for. In fact, I don't condemn anyone at all. I just asked a simple question. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God is not real? Seriously! So much violence over one little question.
Also, having a c*nt doesn't mean that I am one.:)
Thinking

Ashford, UK

#11611 Jan 31, 2013
"whom of which"? jesus...
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Zeus the god whom of which you choose not to believe? Very well. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that god (or Zeus if you like) does not exist?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#11612 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Zeus the god whom of which you choose not to believe? Very well. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that god (or Zeus if you like) does not exist?
You confuse belief with disbelief. You are trying to equate belief in an Abrahamic god(s), Zeus, Santa Claus and pixies with disbelief in them.

One shouldn't believe anything beyond the extent to which the belief can be justified by reason and evidence. I note your links and comments above, but I think this sums it up nicely,(apart from some swearing :-)....
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...

The simple fact is that there is no sound reason to believe in any Creationist or Abrahamic god, or any gods in Godchecker.com

Even if there were some entity one might call a 'higher power', there is no reason to suppose she/it favors religion which can lead to behvior like this....
https://www.google.co.uk/search...

https://www.google.co.uk/search...

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#11613 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that God didn't exist. Atheists did. By definition atheism is the theory or belief that God doesn't exist. It doesn't specify which god. It just says God. Back to my question: What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God doesn't exist?
Which god?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#11614 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Zeus the god whom of which you choose not to believe? Very well. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that god (or Zeus if you like) does not exist?
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god has ever existed.
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#11615 Jan 31, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I agree. It would be a case of life being made more shitty rather than game over. Much like wearing a burkha!
<quoted text>
I wish I would be wrong about a nuclear catastrophe, but the nuclear desasters in Three Miles, Tschernobyl, Fukushima and so on are forcing the conclusion of a human extermination already. Capitalism is hostile to humanity!
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#11616 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
That switch wouldn't be there if it weren't for the availability of God given "natural resources". Doctors who can't explain a sudden remission or complete recovery from a traumatic head injury often call these unexplained events,"miracles".
A "miracle" very often is just a not detected process. Only the religion is fast to use this for their purposes!
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#11617 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
That switch wouldn't be there if it weren't for the availability of God given "natural resources". Doctors who can't explain a sudden remission or complete recovery from a traumatic head injury often call these unexplained events,"miracles".
"Ressources" are of course never "godgiven".

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#11618 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
Where is the proof or evidence to support the "belief" that you have that there is no God?
I use the same type of evidence to not believe in faeries, dragons, leprechauns, unicorns, ogres, gremlins, etc... and all the other 'gods' ever worshiped by humans... the complete lack of empirical evidence FOR their existence. Why do you believe in your 'god' when there is no more evidence of its existence than there is for any other god before or since? Why do you give your 'god' a pass on not having evidence when you use that same lack of evidence to dismiss every other possible 'god'?
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#11619 Jan 31, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Science does not address religion. Science works with objective, verifiable evidence. They make educated guesses sometimes and continue to look for proof/refutation.
It's people who try to pit science against religion when there is no need. The Bible has many errors that have been scientifically discarded, but for the people of that day and time it's to be expected.
Now, if you take the Bible as God's inerrant word, yes, there are going to be problems. If you take the Bible as man's best interpretation of what some deity might have revealed to them, then the errors fall back in place as understandable mistakes.
As a history of the place and time, it has it's points of interest.
The bible as a fairy tale for educated grown ups may be tolerable, in the non bible belt. For uneducated ones it is a danger and like a cancer!
Thinking

Ashford, UK

#11620 Jan 31, 2013
Nuclear power kills less than Siemens windturbines.[hint- check deaths due to manufacture of steel plus the tonnage of steel required per GW of wind power]
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish I would be wrong about a nuclear catastrophe, but the nuclear desasters in Three Miles, Tschernobyl, Fukushima and so on are forcing the conclusion of a human extermination already. Capitalism is hostile to humanity!
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#11621 Jan 31, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> Humanity does that without religion. The western world would have never risen to its pre eminent level with an easier life then most in the world without Christianity. The elitists gearing for world government have done their job and the religion has been decimated. Even with the flaws. Now government is replacing the void and the tyranny of the police state will rear its ugly head and make wha tyou wrote look like a walk in the park. People can be ignorant. And that is all people.
From the Stone age, slave owner society, Feudalism, capitalism and so on the exploiting classes have had their hands on the masses for exploitation. Now in the nuclear age the extermination of the humanity is quite sure by the capitalists. They are not any longer be able to rule the world. Their system has made them blind, since there is no way out of radiation. we don`t even have a simple war, but capitalism cannot exist without even that.
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#11622 Jan 31, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an inherent conflict with the thinking behind each one.
Science is the process of using reason and evidence to determine knowledge.
Religion is the process of claiming knowledge and ignoring all reason and evidence which contradicts it.
So religion in the nuclear age has become a minor problem. This is the dead end for our existence. Capitalism is not able to solve it for humanity!
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#11623 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sheesh!
Here
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/richa...
And here
http://realtruth.org/articles/070601-006-teog...
And here
http://www.enlightennext.org/magazine/j11/gos...
And here
http://scientificproofofgod.net/
And if I knew how to post the YouTube videos on here I would post those too.
You are free to choose to believe whatever you want, but don't say the proof isn't there. Because it is.
Now can someone PLEASE answer my teeny tiny little question: What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?
Seems to me the atomic devastation will loose it by the exterminatiion of humanity.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#11624 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sheesh!
Here
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/richa...
And here
http://realtruth.org/articles/070601-006-teog...
And here
http://www.enlightennext.org/magazine/j11/gos...
And here
http://scientificproofofgod.net/
And if I knew how to post the YouTube videos on here I would post those too.
You are free to choose to believe whatever you want, but don't say the proof isn't there. Because it is.
Now can someone PLEASE answer my teeny tiny little question: What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?
I have yet to read utter rubbish that comes within light years of the above offering.(relatively speaking) Opinions are NOT indisputable fact. As I understand the meaning of the 'most famous equation in scientific history,' is to show that MASS is a (ONE) form of energy. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LIKE the three above SUGGESTIONS. Back to the drawing-board, aye wot? Or Google!

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#11625 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFL! So much violence and aggression! Wow. I'm not a hypocrite as I know what I believe and why I believe it and I don't engage in the same behaviors I condemn others for. In fact, I don't condemn anyone at all. I just asked a simple question. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God is not real? Seriously! So much violence over one little question.
Also, having a c*nt doesn't mean that I am one.:)
Being a personality doesn't mean you have any.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

#11626 Jan 31, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no thing scientific about the concept of god.
True. The ultimate, unqualified mystery of the universe is beyond science because it is beyond human comprehension. Apparently you haven't figured that out yet.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11627 Jan 31, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
True. The ultimate, unqualified mystery of the universe is beyond science because it is beyond human comprehension. Apparently you haven't figured that out yet.
Yet, you pretend you do comprehend it, all theists do.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#11628 Jan 31, 2013
Attention all atheists: Scientific evidence does exist proving the existence of God.(look for my postings on other threads. Look it up elsewhere. I won't repeat myself) However you cannot answer this one simple question: What evidence or proof do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist? You can't prove it. There is no evidence. Therefore your entire belief in the absence of God is based on lies instead of evidence. Your belief is FALSE. Case closed. End of story.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11629 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
Attention all atheists: Scientific evidence does exist proving the existence of God.(look for my postings on other threads. Look it up elsewhere. I won't repeat myself) However you cannot answer this one simple question: What evidence or proof do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist? You can't prove it. There is no evidence. Therefore your entire belief in the absence of God is based on lies instead of evidence. Your belief is FALSE. Case closed. End of story.
Since we don't have a belief in a god, your whole point fails. Stop trying to rewrite things you know nothing of.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 min Into The Night 16,470
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min IB DaMann 40,875
www 21 min Eagle 12 2
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 36 min Eagle 12 4,693
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 39 min Eagle 12 20,628
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 51 min Eagle 12 68
A Universe from Nothing? 52 min Eagle 12 106
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 256,129
More from around the web