Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 542)

Showing posts 10,821 - 10,840 of20,841
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Free speech must be cut back to just include speech, written, spoken, sung or the like. Artistic expression should always fall under this too.
But that should be then end of it--money should never be included, except as a side issue. The raw spending of money is not speech, per say, it is >>purchase<<. Which is vastly different from speech.
Thus the artist may make a painting that sells or not, but his painting is protected. The sale of the same? Is not--it either does or it does not, having no bearing on the painting itself.
Same for speech.
But corporations, being a convenient legal fiction? Cannot actually speak, having no actual corpus to do the speaking. Speaking by proxy should only be permitted, provided the proxy takes 100% of the responsibility >>in addition<< to the person being spoken for also takes 100% of the responsibility-- they each must share the same fate (whatever it may be).
But again, I would strip all free speech "rights" from corporations, immediately. They are not people-- it is a convenient legal fiction, only. Moreover, I would make it impossible for officers in any corporation to be individually protected from misdeeds the corporation might do-- these officers would each and every one, to 100%, be accountable, personally, for any and all things the corporation may do.
That would put a halt to about 87.5% of corporate evil doings.
:)

Ain't I a stinker?:D
No, you're absolutely correct.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
How to interpret scripture is not the work of every Tom , Dick and Harry. It needs some knowledge and to decide which parts are to be taken literally and which are to be taken allegorically. It is only in the field of religion where very one claims to become expert.
Disagree.

We do not allow the priests to go back and correct their errors with claims of "metaphor" and "allegory" as scientists, historians and archeologists reveal them.

For as long as it was practical to do, the bible was taught as the literal and inerrant word of god, and the only source of knowledge possible. Today, that is a hopeless position, so it is modified. That is the central issue, not the current batch of just-so apologetics.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
In no other field, like medicine, engineering, technology, electronics, software, computer, unless you have qualifications and experience, you are not allowed to open you mouth.
You just made the list, number [24]:

REASONS GIVEN ON TOPIX WHY SKEPTICS AREN'T QUALIFIED TO COMMENT ON THE BIBLE

[1] I took the scripture out of context. It means something other than what it says (context and implied meaning never supplied).
[2] I don't understand literary criticism
[3] It's an allegory, not literal.
[4] It's literal, not an allegory.
[5] Scripture is only transparent to those with a child's perspective
[6] Scripture is only transparent to biblical scholars
[7] I am not filled with the Holy Spirit
[8] That's the mystery of it all. "God works in mysterious ways"
[9] Man's mind is too puny to grasp the immensity of God's truth and justice.
[10] You were obviously never a "true christian"
[11] You don't have enough faith. You have to believe to understand.
[12] You can’t criticize the bible because you don’t believe or understand it.
[13] Why do we think we can pretend to know God?
[14] Scripture always interprets scripture
[15] Ever heard of biblical hermeneutics?
[16] You are not TRULY with truth and sincerity seeking God.
[17] You have to know how to translate Hebrew and Greek
[18] You are using a completely unsupportable transliteration of Scripture
[19] You have clearly not studied the ancient peoples who wrote those things or you would not come up with the conclusions you have.
[20] It takes humility to understand the Bible
[21]“Stop scripture mining."
[22] You have to be familiar with the technical terminologies in the bible before you can comprehend it.
[23] Even Satan can quote scripture.
[24] In no other field, like medicine, engineering, technology, electronics, software, computer, unless you have qualifications and experience, you are not allowed to open you mouth.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
How come every one claims to have the "right" to interpret scriptures any way he or she likes?
Because they were written in the second person: "Thou shalt not steal" It doesn't say, "Priests - tell your flocks not to steal"

The book was written for unsophisticated bronze age goatherds, in the style of Mother Goose.
MUQ wrote:
This is another malady which has spread far and wide and created so much confusion amongst the people.
They do not know, whom to listen.
I think I know who NOT to listen to:

“Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own?”- Robert G. Ingersoll

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
How to interpret scripture is not the work of every Tom , Dick and Harry. It needs some knowledge and to decide which parts are to be taken literally and which are to be taken allegorically.
It is only in the field of religion where very one claims to become expert.
In no other field, like medicine, engineering, technology, electronics, software, computer, unless you have qualifications and experience, you are not allowed to open you mouth.
How come every one claims to have the "right" to interpret scriptures any way he or she likes?
This is another malady which has spread far and wide and created so much confusion amongst the people.
Wow...you have no greater desire than to be completely and totally controlled, do you?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
How to interpret scripture is not the work of every Tom , Dick and Harry. It needs some knowledge and to decide which parts are to be taken literally and which are to be taken allegorically.
It is only in the field of religion where very one claims to become expert.
I'll offer you another chance to dodge a question, I'm getting good at it now, practice makes perfect. WHAT qualifies you to interpret any scriptures?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Great! Thanks.
I found one at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... , but not the other.
I accidently posted the religion one twice--here's the other one:

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

And there's one on evolution:

Just for laughs, I posted them in Topstories, too, and I posted the second one on the evolution debate forum. No reaction so far...

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I accidently posted the religion one twice--here's the other one:
And there's one on evolution:
Just for laughs, I posted them in Topstories, too, and I posted the second one on the evolution debate forum. No reaction so far...
OK, thanks.

“Pepsi is better than coke”

Since: Mar 11

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
When you put it that way, maybe the bible is correct.
I believe I am now officially the only person on topix to get you to finally admit the trut...above. The above. Certainly not the truth.

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I lost brain cells just skimming that.
Next time I recommend whiskey. It's a much more fun way to lose brain cells.

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Bottom line: the moral framework >>must<< survive the worst situation we can imagine--and more.
Otherwise, it's empty.
That's brilliant! Very quotable!
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Vow, did you see so many posts on my "little remark" about interpreting Scriptures?

No one commented on the essence of the matter!! That is very usual on this thread.

I said 'are there no qualification needed to interpret any scripture"? And no one touched that part.

They just went on tangent direction and not touching the main part.

Is "every one" entitled to interpret US constitution or any law passed by the Congress or Senate?

Would "every one's views" shall be given "equal weightage" in that interpretation?

Why only on Scripture Interpretation, every Tom, Dick and Harry comes forward and say "My interpretation" is the Only Correct one and all others are fools?

Think and then answer guys.

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Hmmm you who refuses to answer questions demand others answer you?

Your questions are nonsense and what you are actually saying is only apologetics should interpret scripture and everyone else should accept their take on them.

In that case never talk about science for you are not a scientist. Never talk about politics for you are not a politician. Never talk about economics because you are not an economist. Never speak about other religions because you are not a member of that religion. Never speak about atheism because you are not an atheist. Never speak about other counties because you are not a citizen.

Hmmm your logic doesn't sound so good now eh?

How many Muslims will die at the hands of other Muslims because of slight differences in Islamic belief?
MUQ wrote:
Vow, did you see so many posts on my "little remark" about interpreting Scriptures?
No one commented on the essence of the matter!! That is very usual on this thread.
I said 'are there no qualification needed to interpret any scripture"? And no one touched that part.
Is "every one" entitled to interpret US constitution or any law passed by the Congress or Senate?
Would "every one's views" shall be given "equal weightage" in that interpretation?
Why only on Scripture Interpretation, every Tom, Dick and Harry comes forward and say "My interpretation" is the Only Correct one and all others are fools?
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Now here is an interesting response.

I think every one who does not know about science, should put his "authentic theories" about Relativity, General relativity and Special relativity and every one should clap at the "reasonableness of the theory"!!

Some one who does not know A, B, C about medicine, should propose "best way to conduct brain surgery"? And every one should hang on to his lips!!

The same goes about the case, who instructs workers how to build a sky-scrapper, while he never studied Civil Engg.

But it is only religion and Scriptures, where you do not need any qualification and just join any discussion and become "expert" in a moment.

What you need is a foul mouth, lots of sarcasm and an inflated ego. And one disagreeing with your views, just shower him or her with insults, taunts and abuses.

Scare the pants out of 99 out of 100 of normal people! Only those who are hardened by being on these threads can see thru these abuses and insults and notice that you have nothing to offer but these.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

And as expected you refused to answer my question. A running theme with you we notice. And why is it you refuse to answer questions?

Because you know that giving an honest answer will show the barbaric animal that Islam turns people into.

I ask do you think Muslim suicide bombers go to heaven? You know the answer is yes you whole heartedly believe they go to heaven for killing infidels but that will show your true side so best to hide it.

I ask you to tell us about the holy se-camel of Allah as told in the Quran and you refuse to speak on this prophecy because it shows how silly and childish your foundation of beliefs are.

I ask why Muslims hunt and kill other Muslims for believing slightly different than them. Whatever faction of Islam you prescribe to 75% of other Muslims want to kill you for it. That is why you refuse to answer.

And that goes to the heart of your question. Even if one were to say that only the top religious leaders are allowed to say what the scriptures meant you would still be in a horrible situation because even in Islam there is little agreement. Each group knows their version of the myth is correct and that makes everyone else wrong. Which is why your people fly planes into buildings and gun down little girls. That's why you must live in fear that when you leave your house the wrong kind of Muslim doesn't walk by.

And you know this to be true.
MUQ wrote:
Now here is an interesting response.
I think every one who does not know about science, should put his "authentic theories" about Relativity, General relativity and Special relativity and every one should clap at the "reasonableness of the theory"!!
Some one who does not know A, B, C about medicine, should propose "best way to conduct brain surgery"? And every one should hang on to his lips!!
The same goes about the case, who instructs workers how to build a sky-scrapper, while he never studied Civil Engg.
But it is only religion and Scriptures, where you do not need any qualification and just join any discussion and become "expert" in a moment.
What you need is a foul mouth, lots of sarcasm and an inflated ego. And one disagreeing with your views, just shower him or her with insults, taunts and abuses.
Scare the pants out of 99 out of 100 of normal people! Only those who are hardened by being on these threads can see thru these abuses and insults and notice that you have nothing to offer but these.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

<quoted text>
What part? I spent from 1998-2009 in Poplar Bluff. MO.
Down close to the bootheel, Cape County.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

<quoted text>
You did not actually read one single sentence I wrote, did you?
What you said, and what I said, have nothing at all to do with each other.
So, are you one of those True Believers™?
Yes I did, actually. You were questioning the moral imperative to survive at all costs....whether or not sexual assault was justified to keep the species alive. You concluded that force is not necessary....and I offered an alternative that hurts no one.

If I offended you, my apologies.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

So why did mohammed f**k a child?
And why do you think that's cool today?
MUQ wrote:

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
So why did mohammed f**k a child?
And why do you think that's cool today?
<quoted text>
Before, posters were writing that he raped a little boy - which is it?

And...if he did, why do Muslims hate homosexuality so much?

And...why do they have a spiritual leader who's a pedo???
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

I'm referring to Aisha, mohammed's last wife, who was from 6 to 9 years old depending on your interpretation of thighing and intercourse. But it's not for me to prove mohammed wasn't homosexual.

I don't know why islam is so anti gay. One mad consequence of this is near enforced sex changes for gay men in Iran. Only Thailand performs more sex change ops.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Before, posters were writing that he raped a little boy - which is it?
And...if he did, why do Muslims hate homosexuality so much?
And...why do they have a spiritual leader who's a pedo???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,821 - 10,840 of20,841
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••