Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 540)

Showing posts 10,781 - 10,800 of21,328
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to walk carefully there-- the group's fate does not >>automatically<< trump that of the individual's.
If that were the case, we'd still have slavery in the US, as the majority of the south, correctly claimed that much of it's economy depended on slavery for survival.
You're the third person I respect that has disagreed with me. Perhaps I'm wrong on this matter. I wasn't expecting any dissent. I thought that preserving the human race was a high enough moral good to trump an individual's right to dissent about reproducing. I'll have to rethink it.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I think such remarks are off-topic, but capitalism is established and is more likely to be adapted than ended. Is there an ideology you favour?
I don't see as an ideology. If it is, it isn't a narrow one. It's just a regulated economic system. It won't end as long as it is sufficiently regulated. How can one have money and not capitalism? Minor and local currencies exist alongside major ones.
What do you think capitalsim is?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/capita...
Quite easy, capitalism is a suicidal system in the end of the atomic age!

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

<quoted text>
None of these can compare the FSM's origin stories, I always say.
Who can refute pasta? I mean, really?:D
Bless our Savory, born of extra virgin olive oil, and anointed with Cheese's Crust - how grated thou art!

He, who came for our salivation when we were thrown out of the Olive Garden, was twirled on a giant fork and unceremoniously flung onto a wall instead, where he stuck and dried for our sins.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

<quoted text>
I see you are another devil worshiper.
Proof?
You just gave your devil more power than your god!
For clearly, your god is powerless to be ... convincing.
But not your devil...
... too FUNNY, really!
:D
Good observation.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the third person I respect that has disagreed with me. Perhaps I'm wrong on this matter. I wasn't expecting any dissent. I thought that preserving the human race was a high enough moral good to trump an individual's right to dissent about reproducing. I'll have to rethink it.
And here's the point that the godbots will never understand: we can *think* about moral issues, discuss them, and perhaps come to a consensus. Even if we are wrong, we can learn and correct our errors. Believing you have an 'absolute truth' doesn't allow for fixing mistakes because you never allow that you can *make* a mistake.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

<quoted text>
That was a fun video. Thanks.
Did you notice how they framed the two pairs of teams? Here they are, with their scores
The Liberal Media Elites (248) vs. The Young Conservatives (27)
and
The Agnostic Scholars (327) vs. The Young Believers (0)
I did notice that, and I was particularly pleased to hear that the first group hung around in the green room for a couple of hours chatting amiably. People don't have to agree with each other to get along well. I'm sure that most of us see that in our personal lives.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
One gets the impression not so much that the Christian believes that he is right, but that he doesn't care if he is wrong. What would be the honest answer to the question, "If you were wrong, would you want to know"?
As you note, once you have invested as much of yourself to an ideology as these people have, and you believe that there is no harm in being wrong, what's the incentive to learn that you are wrong? Unless you experience cognitive dissonance at the idea of being wrong, I'd say that there is none.
I'd guess that for you to have burrowed out, you must have experienced some sort of cognitive dissonance over the possibility of being wrong. Being correct - a love of truth - still had to matter to you, or why would you have bothered?
Christian dogma devotes a lot of energy to preventing that. Reason is demeaned, and its opposite, accepting ideas without reason, is praised with a pretty word, "faith." The believers own mind is said to be Satan speaking to him, the and listening to ones own mind is framed as a moral failure: losing faith. Those that do leave are described as being weak.
Does any of that sound familiar?
I just made two polls based on the question...

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

"Nevertheless when the Son of Man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" Luke 18:8
www.scribd.com/doc/31322017 ...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

He is Coming Soon wrote:
"Nevertheless when the Son of Man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" Luke 18:8
I think I lost brain cells just skimming that.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

He is Coming Soon wrote:
"Each and everyone of us must personally, individually come to the full and complete comprehension that we are condemned as sinners right where we stand,here and now."

Man...that is a very degrading faith you follow...

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
I think it is "literal interpretation" of Genesis and Bible that has contributed towards this Atheist movement in Western countries.Neither Bible nor book of Genesis should be interpreted literally, because these books were not "dictated by God"
Then why read them? They aren't very good as literature, nor reliable as history or science.
MUQ wrote:
The Church's illogical stand has been a major factor for origin and rise of Atheism in the West.
That's how it should be, just like a bad business should fail. If they were doing things properly, they would not be wasting away. If you don't function properly and you can't adapt, you perish.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

MUQ wrote:
And the problem is that when they start rejecting Bible, they reject all scriptures, because in their view, there can never be any book or scripture better or more authentic than their Bible.
You just said that the scriptures should not be interpreted literally. Once you open that door, you lose control of thought, which is essential to the church. Freethinking is poison to any thought control system.

If people are free to interpret scripture figuratively, the next thing you know, hell is a metaphor, sin is a metaphor, crucifixion is a metaphor, and resurrection is a metaphor. Without a literal Adam defying a literal god by eating a literal apple, there is no original sin, and no need for salvation or Christ. How can you tell the people that Adam, the snake and the apple were allegory, but not the god?

And without a literal hell and the fear it invokes, Christianity has no appeal. The carrot - eternity praising a black hole of narcissistic need - isn't much of a draw. I'd probably rather be unconscious for eternity than be stuck doing that. You couldn't get me to church without the stick - hellfire.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
So the church has caused more people to go away from religion and then reject all religions and all books of God.
They have a crappy product. Once they lost control of the spread of information, they were finished. When you could stigmatize atheism to the point that people were afraid to even think such thoughts, let alone express them aloud, nobody criticized the church much. The Internet put an end to that. We speak freely here, without worry about being ostracized, having our cars keyed, our children harassed, or our pets executed.

And anybody interested in hearing what people like us have to say have easy access to the information. When I was a young person, there was zero information available to me on the subject, and I didn't know a single person that called himself an atheist. That's all changed with the Internet and the various best sellers from prominent atheists.

When you could hush up priestly pedophilic crimes with settlements tied to secrecy, you could go on diddling little boys with impunity. The Internet allowed these boys to find one another, and for the world to see the magnitude of the problem, and the church's complicity in it. Bam!

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

MUQ wrote:
our prophet was not able to read or write, that is why he "Was told to memorize what was revealed to him". He memorized the verses he heard the Angel of God speak to him and then he asked "some of his scribe to write it down".
Then it's fourth hand - Allah to the angel to Mohammed to the scribe? And unless you're looking at the original scribes manuscript, it's fifth or sixth generation information.

Why can't Allah write?

BTW, do you know the game telephone?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Game+of+tele...

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the thing one group of people takes the time to learn, understand, and educate themselves on many levels while other groups lack the drive to learn, understand, and educate themselves. If all a person will do is take what they are told at face value then they lose face.
The contrast was striking.

When the question was, "Name a reason to have an abortion" (the format was like Family Feud), the conservatives answered first, got control of the board, and answered life of the mother and rape. Then, they ran out of answers and kept missing, finally losing control of the board when they answered incest. So, the liberals got a chance to steal, and they answered "None." They realized that that would be many people's answer.

When the question was, "Name the most intriguing aspect of Darwin's theory," the liberals took control by winning the toss-up, and after three correct answers, ran out of answers, which gave the conservative the chance to steal back. They answered "The Big Bang." At least two of them blurted that answer out confidently, even nodding while speaking.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I just made two polls based on the question...
Great! Thanks.

I found one at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... , but not the other.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
"Each and everyone of us must personally, individually come to the full and complete comprehension that we are condemned as sinners right where we stand,here and now."

Man...that is a very degrading faith you follow...
No kidding. That was disgusting.

And talk about false advertising: They tell us that we are made in the image of a perfect and merciful god, whose gift of perfect love freed us from the bondage of sin.

Then they go on to describe the human race in the most contemptible of terms, they describe a petty, jealous, vengeful, capricious, genocidal god that has prepared a torture pit from which there is no parole for most of us, and as your citation attests, they teach us to feel guilt and contrition for being human.

The the basic emotional state is shame, fear, and dependency, and the cardinal message is submission.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

I would need the situation to be real in order to make the decision.

As a distilled hypothetical, I don't have a "correct" answer. If you start filling in the blanks, the rape could get very unethical very fast.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Truthfully, it is a LOT better than it was 30 years ago! I lived when the threat of nuclear annihilation was an every-day worry. Now, we worry that a terrorist or two will get a nuke and destroy a city. Then, we worried about tend of thousands of nukes destroying civilization.
They dug up a 50's style bunker, refurbished it (staying true to the era) and put it on display.

They've got much more sophisticated and many times larger underground living quarters for survival now....only corporations and federal agencies can afford them.....drat the luck;0)

I live in Missouri, I'm heading for the caves.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I find them by accident. The hard part is remembering that I have them bookmarked.
Eeek! A Planter's Peanut fetus.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,781 - 10,800 of21,328
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••