Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,043

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#11381 Jan 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Just to re-iterate, if anyone wants to continue the debate, I have moved to the other thread as it makes no sense to be posting on the same subject in two places at once:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Just a suggestion, get your creator buddy to give you a dig out of the hole you've dug yourself into.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11382 Jan 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Congrats to Adam indeed. He was only recently "one of them"...
<quoted text>
Looking back. It was akin to a mild form of mental illness. Religious delusions esp the devout kind I think are a form of illness. Its difficult to admit you are wrong if you have invested so much emotionally in a belief system.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#11383 Jan 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Congrats to Adam indeed. He was only recently "one of them"...
<quoted text>
No kidding! Wow! What made his transition? I should really be asking him that.

Adam! Congratulations again - what helped your transition?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#11384 Jan 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure. Suppose we had a situation where to preserve the human race we had to rape ALL the women alive at some time. Would that be justified? Your scenario feels much like that.
And the problem is that justifications like this have been used throughout history to perpetrate horrid crimes against humanity. And that leads me to think ALL such justifications are problematic, at least. Once again, better to let the human race die out than this.
You mean, like, if there were only lesbians left alive and they wanted no part of men, and medical technology was no longer functioning, due to the nuclear holocaust and lack of expertise?

That would seriously be a difficult moral problem.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#11385 Jan 25, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not.
It is on that basis that we can reject the Christian bible and the god it describes, which allegedly authored it. It is full of errors and contradictions. There are no more imperfect perfect gods than there are married bachelors.
The law of noncontradiction also tells us that omniscience and free will can't coexist.
And the law of noncontradiction says that the universe could not have been created both in six days and in thirteen-plus billion years.
What if...what...if ... the first day was like, the big bang and the second day was like...13 billion years later...and then later that day, Earth...and then later that day, you get water...and then we fudge the birds and bats thing a bit, add some fish, twist stuff around, make humans appear too early,'cause the writer is stupid and ignorant, and God's logically impossible, and we throw all kinds of caveats in there, a few "but...but...but"s and add some illogic, irrationality and gross amounts of the opposite of education and teach it to gullible children?

Hey?!? What then, huh???
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11386 Jan 25, 2013
I like to think I didn't help. ;)
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No kidding! Wow! What made his transition? I should really be asking him that.
Adam! Congratulations again - what helped your transition?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#11387 Jan 25, 2013
Just to point out to those that keep responding to me, I can now be engaged on this thread:

Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11388 Jan 25, 2013
Nobber.
mtimber wrote:
Just to point out to those that keep responding to me, I can now be engaged on this thread:
Henry

Bad Tennstedt, Germany

#11389 Jan 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence for God is self attesting.
If He did not exist, you would not be able to account for reason, you would not be able to account for morality and would not be able to account for scientific processes.
God is not existing, Science sure!
Henry

Bad Tennstedt, Germany

#11390 Jan 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
And the opening statement proves the point.
The reason you reject the gospel is because it demands more than you are willing to give up.
Your sins in other words...
To justify that, you try to attribute Gods character as immoral, using His standards of absolute morality, which you cannot account for as an atheist, to try to justify your own sin.
But you know of God, as He has revealed Himself to you.
You are just in denial.
God is non existant!
Henry

Bad Tennstedt, Germany

#11391 Jan 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Wow this is only the 180th time you have used the bandwagon logical fallacy.
Well it's a good thing there are so many believers as we atheists need you slow witted peons to do the menial low wage paying jobs to make our life more comfortable. Keep forward on sheep :)
<quoted text>
There is high time for Americans to become atheists!

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#11392 Jan 25, 2013
EdSed wrote:
http://www.secularism.org.uk/n ews/2013/01/only-7-percent-thi nk-being-christian-is-importan t-for-being-british
Thanks for the link. I've posted it to the news page.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#11393 Jan 25, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
There is high time for Americans to become atheists!
I wouldn't count on it though ...

Lexington, KY

#11395 Jan 25, 2013
The loser has decided to avoid questions in just one thread now. Hey isn't it funny that the self righteous retard thinks that he is the only reason people came to this thread?

Lmfao! Delusional!
Thinking wrote:
Nobber.
<quoted text>

Lexington, KY

#11396 Jan 25, 2013
Hey Derek4 oops i mean not-Derek4, how many more times are you going to return to this thread to say you are no longer returning to this thread?

Just wondering because it's fun mocking your stupidity :)

You seriously suffer from delusions of grandeur a common problem for Christians.
mtimber wrote:

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11397 Jan 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus' is the source of morality.
He created humanity...
Where is the evidence of this assertion?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#11398 Jan 25, 2013
Lol! Where do you get them from?
It seems that the Catholic Church is now willing to concede that a fetus is not a person - at least not for the purpose of defending itself in this lawsuit. From http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/23/1181... (please note the Jesus face palm as well):
"In just the past year, the Church has called upon its faithful followers to march, to starve themselves, to go to jail, to even take up arms—all to protect those fetuses. No exceptions. None. Not [even] if the fetus is already dead inside the womb. Not [even] if the fetus is going to kill the actual living woman carrying it. No goddamned exceptions EVER. Well, except for one: when it's going to cost the Church money.
"Turns out, when a man sues a Catholic hospital for malpractice because his wife and the twins she was carrying inside her died when she turned up in the emergency room and her doctor never bothered to answer a page — well, things get a little tricky.
"[T]hey are arguing state law protects doctors from liability concerning unborn fetuses on grounds that those fetuses are not persons with legal rights."
[BTW, here's a link to the face palm Jesus for your files: http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/... ]
Wow! Holy Hypocrisy

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#11399 Jan 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
That is God's own Truth, Khatru!
Absolutely!

The Bible's hatred of women runs deep in its demented scriptures.

Women who give birth to a bot are considered unclean for seven days:

"Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean."

Leviticus 12:2

Whereas women who give birth to a girl are unclean for two weeks.

"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days."

Leviticus 12:5

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11400 Jan 25, 2013
<quoted text>
What you call "God" - the principle god in the West - can be ruled out, so no foot in the door for that god.
But that is not true for all possible gods as a class. Not yet, anyway. They still have a toenail in the door.
I'm working on it, however. I am considering an argument that borrows from the intelligent design people, who offer statistical arguments like Hoyle's fallacy - the unlikeliness of a junkyard 747 forming from a tornado - as evidence that irreducibly complex entities can't form uncreated.
What could be more complex than a god? How could it exist uncreated? What argument for a god doesn't collapse when applied to the god itself? You say that we need a god to account for the laws of logic or the laws of physics. What laws must exist for a god to exist and to continue to exist without falling apart? Where did those laws come from?
I suspect that gods are impossible, but I don't think that a statistical argument is proof against the existence of one, even though the Christians like to say that something less likely to occur than one chance in 10E-50 is impossible: http://ncse.com/rncse/20/4/creationism-pseudo...
This might be an example of the kind of thing that you, your bible, and two thousand years of Christianity warn us about: thinking for ourselves. I can see why the priests don't care for it.
Excellent analysis.

If there are some sort of "higher god-laws" that permit a god or gods to exist? From whence came these higher laws? A higher god?

What allowed the higher-order of god or gods? A higher-order of laws?

From whence came those?

And so on, ad infinitum, an infinite regression upwards, ever-higher laws requiring ever-higher gods to implement them.

It never ends well, does it?

:D

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11401 Jan 25, 2013
<quoted text>
They call influencing elections and legislation with money "free speech." We have that here in México too, where we can try to influence bureaucrats to expedite paperwork and cops not to write tickets with 200 pesos of free speech. I guess free speech, like freedom, isn't always free.
They fail again: free speech can only (and always) apply to the individual, never to the group.

The group can express free speech through the individual only.

The same ought to apply to corporations-- they can express free speech >>only<< through the individual. And as such, the individual so expressing, bears all the responsibility of any evil that stems from said expression: you cannot yell "fire" in a crowd, without consequences.

The same should apply to free speech-- we, as a group, have limited the free expression of free speech; such that you cannot express free speech without limits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 13 min Dave Nelson 230,977
Heaven 1 hr _Bad Company 43
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Carchar king 1,104
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 13 hr Hooogle It 77
Evidence for God! 18 hr Uncle Sam 43
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Thu Ooogah Boogah 14,391
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Wed Dally Mama 5,583

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE