Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
10,681 - 10,700 of 21,406 Comments Last updated 14 hrs ago

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
with all of this only
5% of Americans are atheists.
Are you saying that 95% of the population are chicken shit because of an implied threat from the most unlikely and far fetched god, that man has created in the last ten thousand years? Yet none of these people have asked for even minimal proof?

Well, there are lot's of idiots on the planet, but the number of believers are far less than you are supposing. We atheists know our numbers are growing, we know the questions that we once asked, we see many others now asking.
So apparently you are believer who doesn't even ask as much as the bible god showed to the lowliest of his creations? Why not? Faith, when you could have mountains moving? I think not. Some of them saw seas parting, bushes burning, donkeys and snakes talking, but you didn't even get to see this backside, and yet you still believe? Was it the bible verse that said he would make you eat your children, that did it for you?
word

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

If you do not have a sense of were you came from or who made then then you are doom here on earth.

It is the devil that works to failed your faith.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Wow this is only the 180th time you have used the bandwagon logical fallacy.

Well it's a good thing there are so many believers as we atheists need you slow witted peons to do the menial low wage paying jobs to make our life more comfortable. Keep forward on sheep :)
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
with all of this only

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
Do you know whether Jesus make any original contributions to moral theory - moral values unheard of before he spoke them?
mtimber wrote:
Jesus' is the source of morality. He created humanity...
Are there any words on moral theory at all attributed to Jesus that weren't spoken by somebody else first? Do you know of any at all?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
So you deny the law of non-contradiction then?
Of course not.

It is on that basis that we can reject the Christian bible and the god it describes, which allegedly authored it. It is full of errors and contradictions. There are no more imperfect perfect gods than there are married bachelors.

The law of noncontradiction also tells us that omniscience and free will can't coexist.

And the law of noncontradiction says that the universe could not have been created both in six days and in thirteen-plus billion years.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
You want to present the idea that the problem is a lack of evidence for God. That is not the case. The problem is, is that your mind is at enmity against Him. You are at war with Him.
You haven't gotten past the evidence part yet. What god? Demonstrate your god, and then we can talk about being at war with it.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
I guess the question then is whether the human race deserves to survive. You also have to consider the fact that an initial population of just two individuals will produce some massive inbreeding difficulties. I'd say let the human race die out and let another intelligent species evolve somewhere else (or even on earth).
That's a possible position.

But it evades the ethical issue. It says don't rape in such a scenario because it won't work, not because rape is always wrong.

What if we had a way to make it work, and the problem was reduced to the philosophical one alone. What if it was a simple matter of letting the human race die out, or raping a woman. Would that change your position?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
Your argument collapses, because until you can account for the origin of the universe, you have no ultimate standard from which to argue...
You mean no "absolute" standard, don't you? You keep insisting that absolutes and ultimates are required to have knowledge, when that is obviously incorrect.

I don't need to be able to account for the origin of the universe to rule out some hypotheses about it, just as I don't have to know where you are right now to rule out that it is Saturn.

BTW, your arguments is stronger against your own position than it is against mine. Until you can demonstrate that your god exists and did the things you impute to it, you have no basis from which to argue for it, or against any competing hypothesis.

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Excerpt from .. Rain ~ Somerset-Maugham

"You see, they were so naturally depraved that they couldn`t be brought to see their wickedness. We had to make sins out of what they thought were natural actions. We had to make it a sin, not only to commit adultery and to lie and thieve, but to expose their bodies, and to dance and not to come to church. I made it a sin for a girl to show her bosom and a sin for a man not to wear trousers."
"How?" asked Dr. Macphail, not without surprise. "I instituted fines. Obviously the only way to make people realise that an action is sinful is to punish them if they commit it. I fined them if they didn`t come to church, and I fined them if they danced. I fined them if they were improperly dressed. I had a tariff, and every sin had to be paid for either in money or work. And at last I made them understand."
"But did they never refuse to pay?"
"How could they?" asked the missionary.
"It would be a brave man who tried to stand up against Mr. Davidson," said his wife, tightening her lips.

Dr. Macphail looked at Davidson with troubled eyes. What he heard shocked him, but he hesitated to express his disapproval.
"You must remember that in the last resort I could expel them from their church membership.""
"Did they mind that?"
Davidson smiled a little and gently rubbed his hands.

"They couldn`t sell their copra. When the men fished they got no share of the catch. It meant something very like starvation. Yes, they minded quite a lot."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/23479647/Somerset-M...

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
I did not say that. I said that it is meaningless to talk about the cause of time.
mtimber wrote:
Why is it meaningless to talk about the cause of time, it is a question that has engaged the minds of many people throughout time, in their search for answers...
He already told you: "Time certainly did NOT have a cause, because causality is based on the concept of time."
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

The concept of cause and effect implies a before and an after. To have a cause of time, you need a time before time. Do you remember the law of noncontradiction?

Do you know what else requires time? Existence, thought, and action. Even a god can't exist before time. Nor could it make a decision, nor act. It couldn't function as a first cause.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
with all of this only
That depends on how we define the word "atheist." If we define it the way that people who have been insisting that Nazis and Lance Armstrong are atheists, the number grows much larger, perhaps as many as 20%, and includes some who self-identify as adherents. If we include only those who self-identify as atheists in surveys, it shrinks to less than three percent.

I prefer to include all survey participants who, when asked whether they are certain about God's existence, do not answer "Yes." They tend to number between 7% and 18%, depending on which survey you accept.

In the end, it doesn't matter much. Reality is not changed by what people believe about it, and minorities are often proved right when viewed by historians a few generations later.

Here's a video that shows why atheists might be seen that way in the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

<quoted text>
But it evades the ethical issue. It says don't rape in such a scenario because it won't work, not because rape is always wrong.
What if we had a way to make it work, and the problem was reduced to the philosophical one alone. What if it was a simple matter of letting the human race die out, or raping a woman. Would that change your position?
Let it die, with that sort of beginning, it is already well on it's way to making all woman forever chattel/sex slaves/captives/victims.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
You're not from the UK, are you? Otherwise you'd have spelled it "foetus"
Foetus, don't fail me now.
http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll330/drew...

==========

It seems that the Catholic Church is now willing to concede that a fetus is not a person - at least not for the purpose of defending itself in this lawsuit. From http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/23/1181... (please note the Jesus face palm as well):

"In just the past year, the Church has called upon its faithful followers to march, to starve themselves, to go to jail, to even take up arms—all to protect those fetuses. No exceptions. None. Not [even] if the fetus is already dead inside the womb. Not [even] if the fetus is going to kill the actual living woman carrying it. No goddamned exceptions EVER. Well, except for one: when it's going to cost the Church money.

"Turns out, when a man sues a Catholic hospital for malpractice because his wife and the twins she was carrying inside her died when she turned up in the emergency room and her doctor never bothered to answer a page — well, things get a little tricky.

"[T]hey are arguing state law protects doctors from liability concerning unborn fetuses on grounds that those fetuses are not persons with legal rights."

[BTW, here's a link to the face palm Jesus for your files: http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/... ]
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
http://www.secularism.org.uk/n ews/2013/01/only-7-percent-thi nk-being-christian-is-importan t-for-being-british
Interesting article. Christianity is definately on the decline in the UK.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

word wrote:
If you do not have a sense of were you came from or who made then then you are doom here on earth.
It is the devil that works to failed your faith.
Wow...when you post something like that, you do not help your cause...

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
So it's blame women, eh?
No wonder the Bible is no friend to women.
That is God's own Truth, Khatru!

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting article. Christianity is definately on the decline in the UK.
Congratulations!
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Congrats to Adam indeed. He was only recently "one of them"...
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I'm not sure. Suppose we had a situation where to preserve the human race we had to rape ALL the women alive at some time. Would that be justified? Your scenario feels much like that.

And the problem is that justifications like this have been used throughout history to perpetrate horrid crimes against humanity. And that leads me to think ALL such justifications are problematic, at least. Once again, better to let the human race die out than this.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 30 min Reason Personified 259
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 32 min Buck Crick 224,618
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 843
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 5 hr CunningLinguist 29
Atheists, give up your lost religion and seek t... (Nov '13) 7 hr CunningLinguist 229
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 8 hr CunningLinguist 70,963
Introducing The Universal Religion 14 hr Patrick 737
•••
•••