Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,228

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#11341 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
In Eden, Eve was offered the opportunity to reason apart from God.
Foolishly, she decided that that was desirable.
Since then, man has been wise in his own eyes, setting himself up as being able to reason apart from God.
To reason above God.
It is this condition, that you are displaying.
You want to reason apart from God, to sit in judgment on God.
This theme is spread throughout the Bible and is the essence of the sinful nature.
A created being, who fancies himself more powerful than the Creator and thinks he can sit in judgment of the Creator.
Because of that, your reasoning is separated from Gods reasoning and ends up being reduced to foolishness.
aka:
arockdidit
etc...
You see if you reject the source of logic and reason, you end up rejecting logic and reason.
This is manifested in a contradictory and arbitrary worldview, which you are displaying.
Proof is in the pudding etc.
So it's blame women, eh?

No wonder the Bible is no friend to women.

Nottingham, UK

#11342 Jan 24, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You just blew out what's left of his mind.
Sad for him, isn't it? His binary brain is only capable of zero or one, you see... sad.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.

Those who get binary and those who don't.

Hi Bob - nice to see you 'round these parts again!

Nottingham, UK

#11343 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was quoting the old testament...
?

What's this?

You said...
mtimber wrote:
You have missed the fact that there are two aspects and not one.

Love God.
Love your neighbour.

Now as God is in fact the Creator, then of course He is the originator.

But your prejudiced worldview will suppress the obvious, just so you can carry on being wrong as long as you want.
I responded...
Khatru wrote:
Are you sure about that?

Contrast someone who loves their neighbour and denies your god, with someone who loves your god but denies their neighbour.
Which one gets their ticket to heaven?

In any event, why did it take your god tens of thousands of years before he got around to telling people to love their neighbours?
After all, an omniscient cosmic mega-being like yours must have known about the Golden Rule and how it is one of the highest measures of good ethical behaviour. Yet your god chose to ignore it until the New Testament.

Of course, while your god was ignoring the Golden Rule, other gods from other belief systems (Hinduism, Jainism) were advocating its use.

In summary, the New Testament tells us that the way to get into Heaven is not that we observe the Golden Rule. Instead, it's that we love Jesus, and to your god, that is more important than following the Golden Rule.

It's not nice to harm your fellow humans but as long as you end up loving Jesus with all your heart then you'll be OK for your ticket to Heaven
Then you respond with...
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was quoting the old testament...
You're rambling. What has this got to do with my post?

Nottingham, UK

#11344 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument collapses, because until you can account for the origin of the universe, you have no ultimate standard from which to argue...
To use knowledge absolutely, you have to account for knowledge absolutely.
The Hindus can account for the origin of the universe.

So can the Maoris.

You're ethics are no better than theirs.

In fact, they're probably worse because while your god was s instructing his followers to kill others, the Hindu deities were advocating the Golden Rule.

Nottingham, UK

#11345 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I get it, don't worry.
A fetus has less value to you than a dog.
You're not from the UK, are you?

Otherwise you'd have spelled it "foetus"
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11346 Jan 24, 2013
Hitler called him "the one that got away."
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
I don`t think Jesus "quoted" anything. Certain seems to be he is approximately 2000 years dead

Nottingham, UK

#11347 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument collapses, because until you can account for the origin of the universe, you have no ultimate standard from which to argue...
To use knowledge absolutely, you have to account for knowledge absolutely.
Yes, we know you'll obey your deity if you think he's telling you to slit the throat of the girl next door.

We know that you think it's a disgusting thing if Josef Fritzl's daughter doesn't honour her father.
George from NC

Chapel Hill, NC

#11348 Jan 24, 2013
paarsurrey wrote:
I don't think it will ever happen; since there is not a single evidence with the atheists that the Creator God does not exist.
If you have give it here.
You can never prove a negative. The proof will have to come from your side. Give us rational, logical, and provable proof of a god. Christians have been trying to do it for 2000 years, and only the sheep follow the lies.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#11349 Jan 24, 2013
Just to re-iterate, if anyone wants to continue the debate, I have moved to the other thread as it makes no sense to be posting on the same subject in two places at once:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11350 Jan 24, 2013
As a thought, do you know of a single religion that states: "I haven't a bloody clue where all this Universe stuff came from! I am totally nonplussed."

Is a fixed creation myth a prerequisite, I wonder?
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
So can the Maoris.
In fact, they're probably worse because while your god was s instructing his followers to kill others, the Hindu deities were advocating the Golden Rule.

Nottingham, UK

#11351 Jan 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
As a thought, do you know of a single religion that states: "I haven't a bloody clue where all this Universe stuff came from! I am totally nonplussed."
Is a fixed creation myth a prerequisite, I wonder?
<quoted text>
Good point.

I honestly can't think of a single religion that doesn't admit to not knowing the origins of our universe.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#11352 Jan 24, 2013
You going to finally start answering questions there or keep playing dodgeball?

I guess Eric Hovind's website didn't tell you how to answer actual questions yes Derek?
mtimber wrote:
Just to re-iterate, if anyone wants to continue the debate, I have moved to the other thread as it makes no sense to be posting on the same subject in two places at once:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Lincoln

United States

#11353 Jan 24, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
So can the Maoris.
in your opinion...?

or have you become a deity ..
Lincoln

United States

#11354 Jan 24, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
I honestly can't think of a single religion that doesn't admit to not knowing the origins of our universe.
double or triple :-)

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#11355 Jan 24, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I accepted mtimber's conditions: they were the last two people in the world, and she was unwilling to procreate. It was a pretty simple ethical problem,although mtimber thinks I made the wrong choice.
Let's test our ethical IQs with a moral dilemma as an exercise in ethics. What would you do? This test only has one question, but a difficult one. Please don't answer it without giving it careful thought. By giving your most honest answer, you will discover where you stand on the moral spectrum.
The test features a fictional situation, one in which you will have to make a difficult decision. Your answer should be spontaneous - given within a few seconds of reading the question.
Ready? Begin!
You're in New Orleans in 2005, and there is chaos everywhere around you caused by hurricane Katrina and the resultant flooding. You are a photojournalist working for a major newspaper caught in the middle of this great disaster. The situation is overwhelming, and you're trying to shoot career-making photos, as houses and people swirl around you, some disappearing under the water.
Then you see a man in the water fighting for his life, trying not to be swept away with the water and debris. You move closer. Somehow the man looks familiar. Suddenly, you know who it is ... it's George W. Bush! At the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to take him under, forever.
You have two options. You can save him, or you can take the most dramatic photos of your career. You can save George W. Bush's life, or you can shoot a sure Pulitzer Prize winning photo of him dying.
Here's the dilemma: Color, or would you rather go with the classic simplicity and aesthetic value of black and white?
My first choice would always be the black and white.

Earth,TX

#11356 Jan 24, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that.
I see the practical problems - the rape might not produce the desired outcome.
But as a matter of principle, I don't think a woman in such a position has a right to refuse. Wouldn't you agree that there are times when survival trumps autonomy, such as somebody putting an airplane full of passengers at risk? Wouldn't it be ethical to do things to such a person that would otherwise be unethical?
Anything that can be done, should be done. There are live humans at risk.

That is not true in the case of the man raping the woman. There is no one to save but himself and/or her. There are too many other possibilities not stated in the original post, but even if there wasn't 'rape is still rape', and the victim of this rape is a factor which may end up deleting both the rapist and the pregnancy from the equation.

What killed off the human population, are there any way for other humans to have survived, will these two be able to continue to survive, is the detritus of this human eradication something that an infant could survive, does the only woman left on earth know any of this?

Earth,TX

#11357 Jan 24, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the question then is whether the human race deserves to survive. You also have to consider the fact that an initial population of just two individuals will produce some massive inbreeding difficulties.
I'd say let the human race die out and let another intelligent species evolve somewhere else (or even on earth).
I agree, well said.

Earth,TX

#11358 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, submit to rationality and reason.
Do you have a problem with that?
Of course you do, as revealed in Genesis.
It's obvious we would be the ones short changed in such a deal. So how about a talking snake, a burning bush? It shouldn't have to be as flamboyant or even as well documented at the bible magic was, but why would we settle for less than that, from a "very willing to display his awesome powers" god?
If it's the bible god you are selling, sell him as the package states him to be. We want a sea parting, mountain moving god, keep the wispy miasma god for the true believers. They need a god diet anyway, we who have not been engorged on a diet of god, will not buy anything less than 100% real "show me the god" god!
Lincoln

United States

#11359 Jan 24, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>It's obvious we would be the ones short changed in such a deal. So how about a talking snake, a burning bush? It shouldn't have to be as flamboyant or even as well documented at the bible magic was, but why would we settle for less than that, from a "very willing to display his awesome powers" god?
If it's the bible god you are selling, sell him as the package states him to be. We want a sea parting, mountain moving god, keep the wispy miasma god for the true believers. They need a god diet anyway, we who have not been engorged on a diet of god, will not buy anything less than 100% real "show me the god" god!
with all of this only
5% of Americans are atheists.

Earth,TX

#11361 Jan 24, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
with all of this only
5% of Americans are atheists.
Are you saying that 95% of the population are chicken shit because of an implied threat from the most unlikely and far fetched god, that man has created in the last ten thousand years? Yet none of these people have asked for even minimal proof?

Well, there are lot's of idiots on the planet, but the number of believers are far less than you are supposing. We atheists know our numbers are growing, we know the questions that we once asked, we see many others now asking.
So apparently you are believer who doesn't even ask as much as the bible god showed to the lowliest of his creations? Why not? Faith, when you could have mountains moving? I think not. Some of them saw seas parting, bushes burning, donkeys and snakes talking, but you didn't even get to see this backside, and yet you still believe? Was it the bible verse that said he would make you eat your children, that did it for you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr Eagle 12 2,596
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Eagle 12 233,043
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 5 hr Morse 194
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 5 hr Morse 7
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 6 hr Morse 35
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr Morse 161
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr Morse 1,450
More from around the web