Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 534)

Showing posts 10,661 - 10,680 of20,826
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Ya I guess he will only be dodging questions on the other thread with Dave licking his sack.
Just Think wrote:
Oh well, looks like thinks got a bit too rough for mtimber trying to defend the indefensible.
Good riddance.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing on that page exonerates the Bible. Israelite soldiers capture and rape women and it is supported by your god.
How do you explain this?
<quoted text>
Doesn't even matter. I can show that your moral system is self-contradictory without appealing to an alternative system.
God has nothing to do with, it does not exist!
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
As an atheist I am contrary the bible and I hold the bible has much changed during its 1500 years and there were the mighty and the rich ones who introduced its influence irregular of the objective knowledge. God has nothing to do with the contents of the scriptures, it was not existing at all!
"I am contrary.."
"I hold the bible..."

The "I" of importance
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was quoting the old testament...
I don`t think Jesus "quoted" anything. Certain seems to be he is approximately 2000 years dead
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
God has nothing to do with, it does not exist!
"God has nothing to do with, it does not exist!

He has spoken,
the
all important

"I".

too much caffeine ?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
Remember, the Bible is the basis for my worldview.
Yes, we know.

That's why you condone genocide, killing of gays, killing of those who exercise freedom of religion, etc.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
In Eden, Eve was offered the opportunity to reason apart from God.
Foolishly, she decided that that was desirable.
Since then, man has been wise in his own eyes, setting himself up as being able to reason apart from God.
To reason above God.
It is this condition, that you are displaying.
You want to reason apart from God, to sit in judgment on God.
This theme is spread throughout the Bible and is the essence of the sinful nature.
A created being, who fancies himself more powerful than the Creator and thinks he can sit in judgment of the Creator.
Because of that, your reasoning is separated from Gods reasoning and ends up being reduced to foolishness.
aka:
arockdidit
etc...
You see if you reject the source of logic and reason, you end up rejecting logic and reason.
This is manifested in a contradictory and arbitrary worldview, which you are displaying.
Proof is in the pudding etc.
So it's blame women, eh?

No wonder the Bible is no friend to women.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You just blew out what's left of his mind.
Sad for him, isn't it? His binary brain is only capable of zero or one, you see... sad.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.

Those who get binary and those who don't.

Hi Bob - nice to see you 'round these parts again!

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
?

What's this?

You said...
mtimber wrote:
You have missed the fact that there are two aspects and not one.

Love God.
Love your neighbour.

Now as God is in fact the Creator, then of course He is the originator.

But your prejudiced worldview will suppress the obvious, just so you can carry on being wrong as long as you want.
I responded...
Khatru wrote:
Are you sure about that?

Contrast someone who loves their neighbour and denies your god, with someone who loves your god but denies their neighbour.
Which one gets their ticket to heaven?

In any event, why did it take your god tens of thousands of years before he got around to telling people to love their neighbours?
After all, an omniscient cosmic mega-being like yours must have known about the Golden Rule and how it is one of the highest measures of good ethical behaviour. Yet your god chose to ignore it until the New Testament.

Of course, while your god was ignoring the Golden Rule, other gods from other belief systems (Hinduism, Jainism) were advocating its use.

In summary, the New Testament tells us that the way to get into Heaven is not that we observe the Golden Rule. Instead, it's that we love Jesus, and to your god, that is more important than following the Golden Rule.

It's not nice to harm your fellow humans but as long as you end up loving Jesus with all your heart then you'll be OK for your ticket to Heaven
Then you respond with...
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You're rambling. What has this got to do with my post?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument collapses, because until you can account for the origin of the universe, you have no ultimate standard from which to argue...
To use knowledge absolutely, you have to account for knowledge absolutely.
The Hindus can account for the origin of the universe.

So can the Maoris.

You're ethics are no better than theirs.

In fact, they're probably worse because while your god was s instructing his followers to kill others, the Hindu deities were advocating the Golden Rule.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I get it, don't worry.
A fetus has less value to you than a dog.
You're not from the UK, are you?

Otherwise you'd have spelled it "foetus"
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Hitler called him "the one that got away."
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
I don`t think Jesus "quoted" anything. Certain seems to be he is approximately 2000 years dead

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument collapses, because until you can account for the origin of the universe, you have no ultimate standard from which to argue...
To use knowledge absolutely, you have to account for knowledge absolutely.
Yes, we know you'll obey your deity if you think he's telling you to slit the throat of the girl next door.

We know that you think it's a disgusting thing if Josef Fritzl's daughter doesn't honour her father.
George from NC

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

paarsurrey wrote:
I don't think it will ever happen; since there is not a single evidence with the atheists that the Creator God does not exist.
If you have give it here.
You can never prove a negative. The proof will have to come from your side. Give us rational, logical, and provable proof of a god. Christians have been trying to do it for 2000 years, and only the sheep follow the lies.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Just to re-iterate, if anyone wants to continue the debate, I have moved to the other thread as it makes no sense to be posting on the same subject in two places at once:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

As a thought, do you know of a single religion that states: "I haven't a bloody clue where all this Universe stuff came from! I am totally nonplussed."

Is a fixed creation myth a prerequisite, I wonder?
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
So can the Maoris.
In fact, they're probably worse because while your god was s instructing his followers to kill others, the Hindu deities were advocating the Golden Rule.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
As a thought, do you know of a single religion that states: "I haven't a bloody clue where all this Universe stuff came from! I am totally nonplussed."
Is a fixed creation myth a prerequisite, I wonder?
<quoted text>
Good point.

I honestly can't think of a single religion that doesn't admit to not knowing the origins of our universe.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

You going to finally start answering questions there or keep playing dodgeball?

I guess Eric Hovind's website didn't tell you how to answer actual questions yes Derek?
mtimber wrote:
Just to re-iterate, if anyone wants to continue the debate, I have moved to the other thread as it makes no sense to be posting on the same subject in two places at once:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
So can the Maoris.
in your opinion...?

or have you become a deity ..
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
I honestly can't think of a single religion that doesn't admit to not knowing the origins of our universe.
double or triple :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,661 - 10,680 of20,826
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••