Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
10,541 - 10,560 of 21,400 Comments Last updated 17 hrs ago

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your reaction the events in the OT in which
1) God commands the Israelites, after defeating foreign nations, to kill the men and take their women as wives. Surely no one could reasonably believe that women would consent to marrying their husband's murderers, so the consummation of such marriages would surely be rape.
2) God commands that rapists, as punishment, must marry their victims. Again, we can be sure that no women would reasonably want to marry her attacker, so any subsequent sexual encounters would also be rape.
In both instances, God's commands result in approved sexual assaults.
I doubt your rendering of those laws are balanced and unbiased...

So would not engage your premises.

I have seen too many of these arguments based on an extremist atheistic rendering of the scripture to know a red herring when I see one...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Man was given responsibility over all the earth.
When man rebelled everything suffered the consequence.
Sin does that, it doesn't just affect you, it affects everyone, including your children.
Love does not struggle with responsibility, but selfishness does.
So when mankind does something that brings judgement on them and their family, rather than take responsibility for it, they shake their hands at God and accuse Him of wrong doing...
Back to the evasion.

None of this addresses the contradiction within your religion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
Could you say it again in other words? For example, what does "An absolute truth is self attesting" mean? What is an absolute truth, and how does it attest about itself?
I don't think that I need to even consider absolutes or the transcendent to have knowledge, let alone ascribe (anything) to them (a better word than "subscribe"). I'm pretty that sure my dog has knowledge, and rarely considers such things.
Let's look at the "-scribes" :
ascribe - attribute something to a cause or person
conscribe - to enlist or enroll
prescribe - advise and authorize the use of (a med or treatment)
proscribe - forbid, esp. by law; denounce or condemn.
describe - give an account in words
circumscribe - restrict within limits, draw a figure around
inscribe - write or carve words or symbols on something
subscribe - arrange to receive something regularly by paying in advance.
Here is an example from the laws of logic:

The law of non-contradiction.

A dog cannot be a dog and not be a dog at the same time.

What is the basis for that logical claim?

The law itself.

But when allowed to be tested against all knowledge, it is seen to be true.

It points to its own authority as its authority claim and then everything outide of that assumption or presupposition attests that claim.

Hence it is self attesting, yet valid...

Understand and accept this and your conclusion will bring you to God...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt your rendering of those laws are balanced and unbiased...
So would not engage your premises.
I have seen too many of these arguments based on an extremist atheistic rendering of the scripture to know a red herring when I see one...
Deuteronomy 21
"10 When you go to war against your enemies and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, 11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. 12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails 13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. 14 If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her."

Go to war, find a captive woman you like, she becomes your wife - no consent required.

Numbers 31
"Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

Keep the women as prizes of war.

Deuteronomy 22
"28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[c] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives."

Rape a women, you must marry her - her consent is irrelevant. No concern is shown here for the victim, who is punished by having to marry her attacker.

Please tell me where my interpretations are unfair. Women were viewed as property. You took them as wives, and at that point, since they were your property, rape was impossible.

Deuteronomy 22 gives two scenarios in which rape is punished.
1) You rape a girl promised to another man - you die.
2) You rape a girl not promised to anyone - you pay her father 50 silver and must marry her.("you break it, you bought it")

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just making up a bunch of nonsense.
First you need to show some evidence that there is such a thing as existence "outside of time" and then we can discuss "eternal".
Perhaps you should start with the definition of "time" itself.
I can't wait to read his response to this post, he's guaranteed to slip-in the word 'absolute' somehow. His BUZZ WORD (For now.)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
I think you will find the principle of "first cause" is quite well known in physics and accepted by most of the scientific mainstream community. Time, energy and matter all had a cause. And that cause by basic logical inference must be outside of time, energy and matter... Otherwise that would need a cause... Do you not understand that? I assume you do not, if you think it is nonsense.
It's an ancient argument also already refuted elsewhere.
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_arg...
[2] http://arizonaatheist.blogspot.mx/2010/05/wil... [number 1.]

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
It is clear that you allow that rape is appropriate given the right circumstances.
Thank you. I try to be clear.
mtimber wrote:
Of course, you are driven to this absurd conclusion, rather than jettisoning your bankrupt worldview founded on illogical and contradictory premises.
I'd be attempting to save the human race. Anything less would be bankrupt.
mtimber wrote:
And this by itself should be warning enough to you. But there is no absurdity you will not go to in your pursuit of the denial of God. And the longer you debate on this, the more this will become apparent to any rational person, not completely hung up on their presupposition that God is not allowed to exist...

I am just warning you ahead of time so you can spare yourself further embarrassment..
Thanks for the heads up. You're a prince of a guy.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
You are asking the wrong question. You are really asking this: Do you accept my extreme interpretation of the Bible, unaided by the Holy Spirit, and prejudiced by my extreme antagonism towards God?

I think you know what my answer to that will be...
"Absolutely"?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not a dodge.
If you want me to respond to a point you make, you must provide a rational basis for that point and actually address the point I made and not a strawman that I did not make.
In other words...you dodged.

Yeah, we know.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So now, you are trying to demand I back up a claim I never made.
Next you will be asking me to tell you what he had for breakfast this morning...
Actually, those were your exact words...but, whatever.

You sure dodge a lot when cornered.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No, your house is bringing down the value of the rest of the neighbourhood.
Do you see how arbitrary claims work?
It wasn't so much an arbitrary claim as it was sarcastic mocking of your ongoing lameness...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Deuteronomy 21
"10 When you go to war against your enemies and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, 11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. 12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails 13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. 14 If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her."
Go to war, find a captive woman you like, she becomes your wife - no consent required.
Numbers 31
"Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."
Keep the women as prizes of war.
Deuteronomy 22
"28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[c] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives."
Rape a women, you must marry her - her consent is irrelevant. No concern is shown here for the victim, who is punished by having to marry her attacker.
Please tell me where my interpretations are unfair. Women were viewed as property. You took them as wives, and at that point, since they were your property, rape was impossible.
Deuteronomy 22 gives two scenarios in which rape is punished.
1) You rape a girl promised to another man - you die.
2) You rape a girl not promised to anyone - you pay her father 50 silver and must marry her.("you break it, you bought it")
There is a bible study here that you can use if you so wish:

http://bible.org/seriespage/deuteronomy-21

Or you can of course just render the most extreme atheistic rendering of the text that you want to...

The real question is, why is any of the above wrong in an atheistic worldview?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
In Eden, Eve was offered the opportunity to reason apart from God.
Foolishly, she decided that that was desirable.
Since then, man has been wise in his own eyes, setting himself up as being able to reason apart from God.
To reason above God.
It is this condition, that you are displaying.
You want to reason apart from God, to sit in judgment on God.
This theme is spread throughout the Bible and is the essence of the sinful nature.
A created being, who fancies himself more powerful than the Creator and thinks he can sit in judgment of the Creator.
Because of that, your reasoning is separated from Gods reasoning and ends up being reduced to foolishness.
aka:
arockdidit
etc...
You see if you reject the source of logic and reason, you end up rejecting logic and reason.
This is manifested in a contradictory and arbitrary worldview, which you are displaying.
Proof is in the pudding etc.
So its all Eve's fault.

No wonder you hate women so much...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
It's an ancient argument also already refuted elsewhere.
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_arg...
[2] http://arizonaatheist.blogspot.mx/2010/05/wil... [number 1.]
Refuted or opposed?

There are some people that believe they are lizards, doesn't mean they have refuted the fact we are not...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

<quoted text>
Thank you. I try to be clear.
<quoted text>
I'd be attempting to save the human race. Anything less would be bankrupt.
<quoted text>
Thanks for the heads up. You're a prince of a guy.
No problem, here to serve.:-)

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
No my destination is to reveal the only worldview to you that is actually logically sound and accountable. But the problem you have, is that you live in a house that is full of idols that you like. And the house I live in is bereft of your idols. So you look at my house and you turn from it in disdain. To which I point you to your foundations and show you they are built on shifting sand. And then I show that mine are built on the Rock. But the problem is, you are not really interested in looking at your foundations, but rather defending them. But as much as you defend them, they are shifting sand, and they will change and adapt to whatever your will dictates. Unless you are willing to accept that your will is not the absolute standard of truth and reality, then you will always be busy building sand castles, which are easy to kick over.
OK. Thanks for your interest.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Man was given responsibility over all the earth.
When man rebelled everything suffered the consequence.
Sin does that, it doesn't just affect you, it affects everyone, including your children.
Love does not struggle with responsibility, but selfishness does.
So when mankind does something that brings judgement on them and their family, rather than take responsibility for it, they shake their hands at God and accuse Him of wrong doing...
So the first two people created by your god screwed up royally and, therefore, billions of people have suffered ever since.

I sense a design flaw from your perfect god...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you certain about that?
;-)
Not completely. But I have yet to see any way to obtain certainty.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you are saying is that it is impossible to know anything absolutely?
Yes.
If that is true, how can you deny Gods existence absolutely?
I don't. I simply don't see enough evidence to believe in a deity.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
if you will just adopt the first, most of your irrationality, which results from you rejection of it, will disappear: Love the Lord thy God will all thy heart, all thy mind, all thy strength and all they soul.
Let me paraphrase that for you: Submit. That really is the essence of the Good News.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 59 min Rosa_Winkel 224,353
Our world came from nothing? 7 hr NightSerf 240
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 10 hr Patrick 385
What does "Atheism" mean? 12 hr Reason Personified 10
Introducing The Universal Religion 12 hr Reason Personified 733
Talking some sense into you people... 19 hr religionisillness 24
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 19 hr religionisillness 19
•••
•••