Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 20 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11038 Jan 22, 2013
So you're saying that sunni murdering shiite and shiite murdering sunni is justifiable to bring peace.

Fine. Crack on. Just don't get kuffars caught in your crossfire.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Whom did the US bomber who dropped the atomic Bombs on japan prayed to?

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#11039 Jan 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You should KNOW, you were on the Co-pilot seat!!
Could they pronounce the word correctly? can you?
Can you compose a thought that is halfway coherent to the rest of the thinking world?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11040 Jan 23, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing ever changes does it?
Indeed not-- learning is one of the traits of animal life.

Yet, these god-robots, these godbots-- display zero ability to learn.

In short?

They are like green plants in that regard-- only without even the ability to grow towards the light...

... sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11041 Jan 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You should KNOW, you were on the Co-pilot seat!!
Could they pronounce the word correctly? can you?
How's that pedophile-prophet of yours working out?

You know the one--Moohumud or however you spell it.

The guy who married a 6 year old, and then raped her repeatedly at 9.

How very.. "gracious" of him to draw out the imminent torture for three years like that...

... but it's unfortunately indicative of your evil religion: treat women as if they were things, property.

Sick.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11042 Jan 23, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
treat women as if they were things, property.Sick.
Same goes for all the other "prophets". They all have a barbaric and primitive mindset.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11043 Jan 23, 2013
According to the mentally ill, one prophet fly on a winged horse to heaven. Another prophet allegedly went to heaven on a cloud. Can we judge between the two. Which is more feasible, which is more reasonable? Ans. both are equally nutty!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11044 Jan 23, 2013
Adam wrote:
According to the mentally ill, one prophet fly on a winged horse to heaven. Another prophet allegedly went to heaven on a cloud. Can we judge between the two. Which is more feasible, which is more reasonable? Ans. both are equally nutty!
Agreed.

And while on the subject of "heaven"? WTF?

None of the current major religion's notions of "heaven" is ... something any sane person would want.

Both are equally repugnant to think about; who wants to grovel at the feet of a monster-killing deity for all eternity? I know I don't-- such a being is unworthy.

Or worse-- 72 "virgins" (of indeterminate gender) forever? Who are magically "healed" back to virginhood each night? WTF?

Who >>thinks<< of this sh7te? Sick people of limited imaginations, that's who.

meh.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11045 Jan 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Who >>thinks<< of this sh7te? Sick people of limited imaginations, that's who.
meh.
Muhammed knew which buttons to press. Gardens of paradise, fresh fruit and dates, shade underneath palm trees, free flowing wine, slaves on hand to see to every whim, 72 virgins a man to indulge every sensual whim and pleasure. A fantasy of your average 7th century desert nomad. And brainwashed ppl like Muq believe such fairy tales are literally true.

And the Christian version is to endless sing hallelujahs and praises to Yahweh the blood thirsty God of the Old Testament. A celestial North Korea. Whilst the majority of humankind is suffering horrific torment burning in hell. Very sick minds indeed.
Lincoln

United States

#11046 Jan 23, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Muhammed knew which buttons to press. Gardens of paradise, fresh fruit and dates, shade underneath palm trees, free flowing wine, slaves on hand to see to every whim, 72 virgins a man to indulge every sensual whim and pleasure. A fantasy of your average 7th century desert nomad. And brainwashed ppl like Muq believe such fairy tales are literally true.
And the Christian version is to endless sing hallelujahs and praises to Yahweh the blood thirsty God of the Old Testament. A celestial North Korea. Whilst the majority of humankind is suffering horrific torment burning in hell. Very sick minds indeed.
Is North Korea an excellent example of atheists in power?
Atheists excellent at making fun of religion, some of it very funny.- "Life of Brian"

When atheist time in power is criticized ....,
Hitler suddenly becomes a Christian.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11047 Jan 23, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
When atheist time in power is criticized ....,
Hitler suddenly becomes a Christian.
I am in a minority here in not believing Hitler was a Christian. But then you have to ask yourself would a loving God allow his chosen people to be gassed to death, and 60 million people to die in a world war. The answer is of course, no because such an entity, a God that answers prayers, does not exist.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11048 Jan 23, 2013
Nope-- I've never been to Egypt.
... but I been to Oklahoma. Well they tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember.

Hey, Bob. Nice to see you.

Fennario

#11049 Jan 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I'd like a cap on the money political parties get to spend though.
Agreed.

I'd take it a step further and say that the campaigns should be brief, inexpensive, and publicly funded, which each candidate having access to free media such as a web site and public television.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11050 Jan 23, 2013
My thoughts exactly.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
I'd take it a step further and say that the campaigns should be brief, inexpensive, and publicly funded, which each candidate having access to free media such as a web site and public television.

Fennario

#11051 Jan 23, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Stalin a good example of atheism in power
Very few atheists are totalitarian. And such people would be unlikely to succeed in a humanist society.

You need an example of secular humanism in power. Are you aware of any secular humanist governments that we could examine?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#11052 Jan 23, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
It boggles the mind that people still believe this is literally true...
It boggles the mind that people still believe that "arockdidit" or "nothingexploded" is literally true...

Your point being?

Location hidden

#11053 Jan 23, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>There is no such thing as an "atheistic religion"... but then you already know that. Your need to try and equate atheism to your religion is quite telling. BTW... as an atheist, I am perfectly comfortable in saying "I don't know" to something for which I have no real knowledge of. I don't feel the need to attribute things I don't know about to some 'god' and claiming it "truth". THAT is the purview of the overly religious and their deep seated need to feel "special". It must really suck to have to try and drag everything else down to your level in order to make yourself feel somehow superior. I can tell you really don't believe in your 'god' as much as you claim. If you did, lying to support your views would be something you'd be deathly afraid of since bearing false witness is one of the Top 10 no-no's
Amidst the ad hominem, I think I detect your main argument is "an argument from ignorance is always preferable"...

Location hidden

#11054 Jan 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Pleasure is not the deciding factor, and pleasure for one at the expense of another is most definitely not a part of the humanist moral calculus.
So what is the basis?

Define "good" objectively.

Location hidden

#11055 Jan 23, 2013
<quoted text>
How much empathy are you looking for?
I'll tell you what: I promise to ALWAYS exceed your church's empathy for unbelievers. Here's some now :
[1] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1
[2] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8 And the result of such hate speech is predictable:
I'm not sure that I buy into the expectation that unbelievers unilaterally show respect to Christians whose holy bible calls us fools, no good, corrupt, abominable, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, and fit for to me dropped conscious into a burning fire to suffer forever.
Wouldn't you agree that that is unreasonable to ask for our empathy?
If you consider those words holy, and authored by a perfectly loving and just god, then you've already gotten just about all of the empathy you deserve from unbelievers.
Oh, so your absolute standard for defining your empathy is the Bible?

Argument done...

Location hidden

#11056 Jan 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
As with many things in morality, the pleasure of one person is balanced by the harm done to another and the necessity of that harm. In this case, the harm done is severe, the necessity low. So the morality is clearly against rape.
On the other hand, there are many species where rape seems to be a necessary aspect of reproduction, so for those species (assuming such could become conscious, another requirement for morality), rape would be moral. For example, it would be moral for intelligent spiders to eat their mates.
So in the evolutionary requirement for reproduction, rape is okay?

Location hidden

#11057 Jan 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Why would anybody believe that? That flood part describes a moronic and incompetent god. He allegedly was unhappy with mankind, which he was wholly responsible for, and whose future he could allegedly see before he built them.
When they turned out to be sinful as he knew they would be, he decided to nearly sterilize the earth with an impossible rainstorm that caused the miserable and terrifying torture of not just almost all men, but almost all life.
Can you picture the puppies and kitten seeking higher ground until there was no escape, and then, while in a state of sheer terror, have the water level cover their little noses and snuff the life out of them? He could have just "poofed" them away in the manner he created them, but he preferred this.
But wait - besides being senselessly cruel, it's a stupid plan doomed to failure.
To repair the problem, that god reseeded the earth using the exact same breeding stock - a drunk and his family.
Sorry, but that's just not plausible. It's all nonsense. There never was a Noah, nor an Eve, nor a Jehovah. And there is no such thing as sin, nor any need for redemption.
Your first premise is based on what?

The whole point of the bible is that man is in rebellion against God.

Are you arguing that your rebellion against him is His fault?

So you argue for a lack of self determination in life?

You don't believe you can choose anything and you are not responsible for anything because of that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Kong_ 18,900
News .com | What hope is there without God? 1 hr Thinking 6
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Insults Are Easier 238,452
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Thinking 2,104
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 5 hr ChristineM 6,713
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 18 hr spellmeout 14,657
News Confessions of a black atheist 22 hr thetruth 478
More from around the web