Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,293

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#10954 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
What if committing rape gives people pleasure in the society? What then? If pleasure is the deciding factor, as you have stated.
Pleasure is not the deciding factor, and pleasure for one at the expense of another is most definitely not a part of the humanist moral calculus.
Henry

Germany

#10955 Jan 22, 2013
Clint wrote:
The utopian state of the authors hypothesis necessary to achieve his prediction is little more than wishful thinking. The nature of humanity is diametrically opposed to harmony.
We are in the atomic age, which means the suicidal effect of capitalism is perhaps the end of mankind. Capitalism and war are twins and the superprofit through war are unavoidable! AKWs are never without fatal effects.
Henry

Germany

#10956 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence for God is self attesting.
If He did not exist, you would not be able to account for reason, you would not be able to account for morality and would not be able to account for scientific processes.
Of course, there was never a single god among the thausands of gods which were myths nothing else!

Fennario

#10957 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So is rape morally wrong in a society that practices rape?
I notice your empathy to non atheists is lacking, are you waiting for that to evolve?:-)
How much empathy are you looking for?

I'll tell you what: I promise to ALWAYS exceed your church's empathy for unbelievers. Here's some now :

[1] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1

[2] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8 And the result of such hate speech is predictable:

I'm not sure that I buy into the expectation that unbelievers unilaterally show respect to Christians whose holy bible calls us fools, no good, corrupt, abominable, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, and fit for to me dropped conscious into a burning fire to suffer forever.

Wouldn't you agree that that is unreasonable to ask for our empathy?

If you consider those words holy, and authored by a perfectly loving and just god, then you've already gotten just about all of the empathy you deserve from unbelievers.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10958 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
What if committing rape gives people pleasure in the society?
What then?
If pleasure is the deciding factor, as you have stated.
As with many things in morality, the pleasure of one person is balanced by the harm done to another and the necessity of that harm. In this case, the harm done is severe, the necessity low. So the morality is clearly against rape.

On the other hand, there are many species where rape seems to be a necessary aspect of reproduction, so for those species (assuming such could become conscious, another requirement for morality), rape would be moral. For example, it would be moral for intelligent spiders to eat their mates.
Lincoln

United States

#10960 Jan 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I just did. Did you see them?
http://www.topix.com/fosm/TF67LDICTMV5DH6IL/p...
<quoted text>
That won't change under humanist cultural hegemony. You'll still be free to nail a chicken to a stick, anoint it with sheep blood, affix jingly bells to it, and shake it over your head at the full moon if that's what gives your life meaning, moral grounding, and a framework for understanding the universe. Go for it!
But your religious life should be as just as private as your sex life and your financial situation. Just keep your severed chicken parts and jingly bells off the money and out of the Pledge, don't try to prevent gay people from marrying because the chicken doesn't approve, and unless happiness for you requires that you scapegoat somebody or otherwise impose your religious values on unbelievers, we can all be happy.
Funny using topix as a source.:---)

Voted for Obama, who is also a Christian.

Atheists 5% of the population
surging toward 5.5%.

Fennario

#10961 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Man has been in rebellion since Eve's sin in the Garden of Eden. Since that time, mankind has been trying to suppress the knowledge of God. Usually by lying to themselves and convincing themselves the lie is true. They got so successful that at one point, God flooded the earth.
Why would anybody believe that? That flood part describes a moronic and incompetent god. He allegedly was unhappy with mankind, which he was wholly responsible for, and whose future he could allegedly see before he built them.

When they turned out to be sinful as he knew they would be, he decided to nearly sterilize the earth with an impossible rainstorm that caused the miserable and terrifying torture of not just almost all men, but almost all life.

Can you picture the puppies and kitten seeking higher ground until there was no escape, and then, while in a state of sheer terror, have the water level cover their little noses and snuff the life out of them? He could have just "poofed" them away in the manner he created them, but he preferred this.

But wait - besides being senselessly cruel, it's a stupid plan doomed to failure.

To repair the problem, that god reseeded the earth using the exact same breeding stock - a drunk and his family.

Sorry, but that's just not plausible. It's all nonsense. There never was a Noah, nor an Eve, nor a Jehovah. And there is no such thing as sin, nor any need for redemption.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10962 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
What if committing rape gives people pleasure in the society?
What then?
If pleasure is the deciding factor, as you have stated.
Let me put it this way: is the only reason you don't rape because you think that some big daddy in the sky says you shouldn't? If your answer is yes, then *please* keep believing in the big daddy in the sky. You have then shown yourself incapable of true moral judgment. If your answer is no, then you have shown that morality has nothing to do with the existence of deities.
Lincoln

United States

#10963 Jan 22, 2013
<quoted text>
How much empathy are you looking for?
I'll tell you what: I promise to ALWAYS exceed your church's empathy for unbelievers. Here's some now :
[1] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1
[2] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8 And the result of such hate speech is predictable:
I'm not sure that I buy into the expectation that unbelievers unilaterally show respect to Christians whose holy bible calls us fools, no good, corrupt, abominable, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, and fit for to me dropped conscious into a burning fire to suffer forever.
Wouldn't you agree that that is unreasonable to ask for our empathy?
If you consider those words holy, and authored by a perfectly loving and just god, then you've already gotten just about all of the empathy you deserve from unbelievers.
President Obama was Very inclusive yesterday.
Did he mention atheists?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10964 Jan 22, 2013
Oh sht are you really trying the Eric Hovind absolute argument? Sorry retard about a dozen idiots before you have tried the same lameness so don't bother humiliating yourself.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
But you accept their are absolute universal laws of logic?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10965 Jan 22, 2013
Lmfao and are you so stupid you actually fell for this?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
It does if you let the Bible explain it.
Man has been in rebellion since Eve's sin in the Garden of Eden.
Since that time, mankind has been trying to suppress the knowledge of God.
Usually by lying to themselves and convincing themselves the lie is true.
They got so successful that at one point, God flooded the earth.
They are also getting to the same point again, which is a sign that Jesus Second Coming is about here.
As in the days of Noah etc...
So it all makes perfect sense.

Fennario

#10966 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
The reason you reject the gospel is because it demands more than you are willing to give up.
As you just saw, I'd have to sacrifice commonsense and common decency to join you and worship such a god.
mtimber wrote:
To justify that, you try to attribute Gods character as immoral, using His standards of absolute morality, which you cannot account for as an atheist, to try to justify your own sin.
Your god is less moral than you or I, assuming that you would also never torture anybody.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10967 Jan 22, 2013
Try that again without the errors.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
But it gave others societies pleasure, where they acting immorally if they defined their own standard?

Fennario

#10968 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
According to your worldview, he is just a distant relation to a rock.
None of us has made that comment - just you.

Fennario

#10969 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
How do you account for logic in an atheistic universe?
I can't.

How do you account for a god?

Fennario

#10970 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
And you atheists need to evolve some manners...
Toward you or your church?

As for you, you're just na´ve and presumptuous. Yours are ancient arguments refuted many times by many people. You don't deserve more than a gentle correction.

But your church? It deserves all of the contempt that can be mustered for it.
William Tyndale

Clearlake, CA

#10971 Jan 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Nonsense.
I'm an atheist, and those are the very words I use. In fact, to the sense of mystery and awe I add the sense of connection and gratitude. From last week :
"If you'd like to discuss spirituality, I'd be glad to do so. For starters, it has nothing to do with spirits or ghosts. It is my opinion that spirituality eludes those of you with a hostility to science, "the world," and even your own flesh. Spirituality is about connectedness to your world. It is a psychological experience that combines a sense of mystery, awe and gratitude.
"If you have those feelings, you have touched onto your spiritual faculty. But if you lack the sense of connection to your universe, your experience is inauthentic. You see yourself as an alien in this world, a ghost that belongs elsewhere. If your attention is diverted to nonexistent realms, and to the time after your demise, you are the opposite of spiritual."
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
If you're interested,here is the follow-up to that post:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
you are projecting on to me something that isn't there.

Atheism is the opposite of theism. theism studies the concept of god.("theo" = "god" ) Atheism does not. Some atheists are understandably turned off by the magical thinking of mainstream religion and it's study of that which man projects, and turn off to anything that smacks of the word "god", knowing that if it comes from religion it is simply an anthropomorphism.

But the word "awe" applies to the mystical experience had by scientists, philosophers, and ordinary people. If it is a valid mystical experience it is consistent with the definition of mysticism being conscious awareness of the reality of what is without the blinders of religion.

This is something that can not be labeled in linear language. The mystical experience is a form of experiential knowledge and perhaps the only word that comes close to expressing it is "awe". True mysticism has nothing to do with the occult and is simply an expanded awareness of what is.

The word "god" is problematic. But the consciousness that is the foundation of all that exists is real whatever you chose to call it. To most people the only word that seems to fit is "god".

And in discussing spirituality the best we can do is to point out what it isn't. True spirituality can not be expressed in any linear language.

But I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on spirituallity.

Fennario

#10972 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Unable to account for the existance of the laws of logic. But insisting that you own them...
We all own them to the extent that we master them.

Why do you hope to prevail using an argument that you wouldn't accept?

"Account for the existence of a god. You can't? Then become an atheist."

Do you reject that argument? Then why do you offer it? Is that intellectually honest?
Kosovogirl

London, UK

#10973 Jan 22, 2013
Why do atheist talk about religions forcing god upon people when atheist are forcing people not to believe in god?

If a person wishes to believe in god let them believe, if they don't then don't bother them.

Fennario

#10974 Jan 22, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
Thursdays are my favorite days, and have been since I was a child. When my first child was born on a Thursday, it just made me happy, the second child was born on a Thursday, it was wonderful, but then I found a calendar from my birth year. I too was born on Thursday, as was my third child, and ten years later my last child was born on Thursday too. I have no choice but to consider this a revelation from Thor, that proves him to be the true god. I am no longer in denial.
Brilliant, my sister.

July 4th, 1776 was a Thursday.

http://easycalculation.com/date-day/day-of-ye...
[I was a Saturday baby.]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Becoming a parent changed everything. 1 hr Reason Personified 17
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Reason Personified 479
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 4 hr Patrick 332
Respecting belief: why should you? And why shou... 4 hr Patrick 14
Atheist Babies 4 hr Patrick 39
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 4 hr Patrick 194
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 4 hr Patrick 4,107
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 hr Aura Mytha 227,688
•••

Atheism People Search