Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 513)

Showing posts 10,241 - 10,260 of20,861
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed...
That is where atheism takes the individual.
To irrationality...
That is called "a response in kind".
Since atheism isn't an "ism", but the lack of an "ism", your asertation could hardly be true. So tell us what happened here, when you posted this >>> "Prejudiced emotive faulty appeal..." <<< word salad light? Your "ism" not quite up to par, nowadays? We are seeing more and more of that, as "isms" fail to hold their own against simple common sense.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been presenting logical arguments like the argument:
That the atheist in their desperation to deny God, ends up having to deny all the transcendent laws that govern the universe, in particular those relating to morality and logic.
So much so that they are reduced to logical absurdity, clearly showing their worldview has some major issues that precludes them even engaging in logical discussions...
There is nothing logical about arguing from a position that cannot be supported with actual evidence. Setting up your own definitions and descriptions of something (atheists in this case) then arguing against that definition or description is just plain stupid.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously I do not accept your twisted interpretation of the Bible on this matter.
Then why do you think anyone should accept your twisted interpretation of atheism? At least those pointing out the twisted morals of the Bible actually know what is stated in the Bible. The fact that you choose to interpret the ridiculousness of the Bible in a way that takes the edge off is your problem. Don't you find it odd that you need to interpret something claimed to be the 'inerrant word of a 'god' in such a way as to remove the vileness of the way it is actually written??

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

McNeil wrote:
Why shouldn't there be a God is my question? What's there to look forward to after you die? Why would you fight so hard to to prove that a person does not exist, when that same person is willing to offer you salvation? Doest make sense..
Hey, if believing there is a god, even though there is no evidence that it exists, helps get you through your day... go for it. If believing there is everlasting life waiting for you after you die, and that helps you sleep at night... knock yourself out. BTW... how can something (god in this case) that can't even be shown to exist in the first place offer anything? Believing in something for which no evidence has ever existed doesn't make any more sense than believing there are faeries living in your garden... or that garden gnomes come to life after dark... or that leprechauns keep pots of gold at the end of rainbows. All are claims without evidence and all can be dismissed using that same lack of evidence.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, morality is about living in a society and the happiness of those in the society. Rape does not contribute to the happiness of those in the society. Empathy is a fundamental aspect of human biology. Morality is based on empathy.
What if committing rape gives people pleasure in the society?

What then?

If pleasure is the deciding factor, as you have stated.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you clearly don't understand even the basics of what science says, let alone how science and atheism differ, I would recommend not commenting on things you do not understand.
Do you have a reason to make this claim?

Do you have anything to offer on this other than your own arbirtrary opinion?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we appeal to the empathy that is central to social species like ours. The progress of morality is the progress of empathy towards those who religion and other doctrines say are subhuman.
So is rape morally wrong in a society that practices rape?

I notice your empathy to non atheists is lacking, are you waiting for that to evolve?:-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

McNeil wrote:
Why shouldn't there be a God is my question? What's there to look forward to after you die? Why would you fight so hard to to prove that a person does not exist, when that same person is willing to offer you salvation? Doest make sense..
It does if you let the Bible explain it.

Man has been in rebellion since Eve's sin in the Garden of Eden.

Since that time, mankind has been trying to suppress the knowledge of God.

Usually by lying to themselves and convincing themselves the lie is true.

They got so successful that at one point, God flooded the earth.

They are also getting to the same point again, which is a sign that Jesus Second Coming is about here.

As in the days of Noah etc...

So it all makes perfect sense.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the price you extract is too high. Your religion is one of hate, oppression and abuse.
It does not matter which of the supernatural woo you are victimized by currently-- they all abuse their followers.
Finally? I must ask... "salvation"... from ... what? Death is death--there is nothing beyond it as far as you (or anyone) can prove.
That's it. Finis.
So, no-- your mewlings here make no sense in the least.
And the opening statement proves the point.

The reason you reject the gospel is because it demands more than you are willing to give up.

Your sins in other words...

To justify that, you try to attribute Gods character as immoral, using His standards of absolute morality, which you cannot account for as an atheist, to try to justify your own sin.

But you know of God, as He has revealed Himself to you.

You are just in denial.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be more concerned with living a full life so you don't care if there is a second one. Buying snake oil is a sign of gullibility, not one of intelligence, and you bought the snake oil.
Why should he be concerned?

According to your worldview, he is just a distant relation to a rock.

So I don't understand why you would attribute any purpose to his life?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be easier to herd cats than to have a coherant conversation with you. When you get through playing with rocks try learning about bigger and better things.
Ignorance can be alleviated by education "but you can't fix stupid".
Do you have a rational response to offer to the points in hand, or are you hoping that I will be blinded by your arbitrary zeal and leave the discussion because of it?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Can you show where The bible says incest is forbidden? No this happens often in the bible.
How about slavery being forbidden? No in fact Pail demanded a run away slave return to his Christian slave master.
How about sex with children? No in fact children are often raped as spoils of war and slaves in the bible.
How about discriminating against women? No and lol at even trying!
Yet secular morality today an for some time now has forbidden these heinous acts. Your retarded god's morality in that pitiful myth falls short.
<quoted text>
Some interesting claims you make here.

Lets pick one of these and see how you justify it, logically and rationally.

Can you please point out where God commanded people to have sex with children?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
And the opening statement proves the point.
The reason you reject the gospel is because it demands more than you are willing to give up.
I'd guess that like me, he's not willing to give up logic and reason in order to persue fantasy as fact.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
For this to be logical first you must demonstrate there is a god. Second that it is a logical moral god. Third this desperation.
Since you can't possibly get past the first item you are the illogical poster.
<quoted text>
The evidence for God is self attesting.

If He did not exist, you would not be able to account for reason, you would not be able to account for morality and would not be able to account for scientific processes.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
If He did not exist, you would not be able to account for reason, you would not be able to account for morality and would not be able to account for scientific processes.
You feel this is logical?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I don't see a logical argument there. I don't see any kind of argument. These are merely unsupported claims. You haven't established that atheists are desperate, that we deny any law, that our position is logically absurd, or that our worldviews preclude engaging in logical discussion. You have merely claimed these things. You haven't even defined them.
In fact, this reply defeats your claim. This is a well reasoned rebuttal.
Were you aware that atheism is not a worldview?
Were you aware that a perfect god that makes mistakes is logically impossible? Such a thing would violate the law of noncontradiction.
What is "God"? Is that Jehovah-Jesus to you? That god is impossible for many reasons, including the one just given. Of course I deny it. It would be unreasonable to do otherwise.
Reason is on the side of the rational skeptics, not faith based thinkers. Faith itself, which is a repudiation of reason, is a logical error.
“Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt.”- Mike Huben
How do you account for logic in an atheistic universe?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not very good at this... but then very few of the fundamentally religious that post here are

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Atheists are people who do not believe in deities after that it varies person to person.
You Christholes need to stop telling us what we think or believe and start asking us. Gasp! What a concept!
<quoted text>
And you atheists need to evolve some manners...

Oh wait, as an atheist you are not required to have manners as morality is just a subjective choice.

Carry on then...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>I'd guess that like me, he's not willing to give up logic and reason in order to persue fantasy as fact.
Yes, he will be just like you and any other atheist.

Unable to account for the existance of the laws of logic.

But insisting that you own them...

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
It does if you let the Bible explain it.
Man has been in rebellion since Eve's sin in the Garden of Eden.
Since that time, mankind has been trying to suppress the knowledge of God.
Usually by lying to themselves and convincing themselves the lie is true.
They got so successful that at one point, God flooded the earth.
They are also getting to the same point again, which is a sign that Jesus Second Coming is about here.
As in the days of Noah etc...
So it all makes perfect sense.
That is what they all say, right up to the moment their god demands they eat their children. "Makes perfect sense".
So are you the "linger and savor" or the "gulp and get it over with" type of cannibal?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,241 - 10,260 of20,861
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••