Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,380

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10765 Jan 20, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter how you deny it, it is a standard fallacy of bifurcation you committed.
A little bit of research will show you that.
Why would you be concerned about genocide being something that is indefensible?
You are an atheist, you have no absolute moral standards to appeal to.
If one society decides to kill another for the sake of survival, why would you deem that wrong?
Why do you keep appealing to absolute moral standards?
We both know why.
You live in a universe created by God, which includes absolute moral standards.
Which makes sense as to why you appeal to them.
But knowing that you would have to acknowledge God if you recognise them, you will deny them, whilst using them.
Showing your inconsistency and revealing that you do really know the truth on this matter...
It is not a question of God existing or not, it is a question of Gods authority over you that you take the real issue with.
God never created anything,it exists not!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10766 Jan 20, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion's truths are absolute. Science's truths are always undergoing modification.
Sorry, religions are only manmade and are myths sometimes criminal.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10767 Jan 20, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Your disbelief isn't doing much better. Atheism is a fad cult whose followers worship Richard Dawkins. They believe in a spontaneous, causeless, sourceless, purposeless, meaningless existence and are more fanatic about their beliefs than Christians are about God. They use science to justify their dogmatism and many actually believe their own BS! Interestingly, most people who become atheists have an overwhelming desire to feel superior because they were picked on in high school and are struggling with residual teenage angst.
Of course atheism is no cult at all. Atheism base on science. They deny any god. I am an atheist for 70 years.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10768 Jan 20, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion's truths are absolute. Science's truths are always undergoing modification.
Religions are myths, at the worse the are crimes. Many scientists are of course atheists.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10769 Jan 20, 2013
tiddlywinks wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do they claim to be on the march in America?
In many parts of the world atheists are in the coming.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10770 Jan 20, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Your disbelief isn't doing much better. Atheism is a fad cult whose followers worship Richard Dawkins. They believe in a spontaneous, causeless, sourceless, purposeless, meaningless existence and are more fanatic about their beliefs than Christians are about God. They use science to justify their dogmatism and many actually believe their own BS! Interestingly, most people who become atheists have an overwhelming desire to feel superior because they were picked on in high school and are struggling with residual teenage angst.
It is quite amusing to state Dawkins get worshiped. This of course garbage. Dawkins is a scientist not a preacher or anything like it!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10771 Jan 20, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Not an option.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
Atheism is an adjective, not a movement.
Quite amusing, never heard atheism is an adjective. For my 70 years of my being an atheist I never heard atheism is no movement. I guess this is a laughing stock. Please invent something else!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10772 Jan 20, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Religions are always manmade and myths or sometimes criminal:
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10773 Jan 20, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite amusing to "worship" Richard Dawkins. Is that a joke?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10775 Jan 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Seem accurate, Atheism is strong on threads in Topix, no so much elsewhere
I didn't mean to imply that religion wasn't declinging.

In the 21st century, how daft would one have to be to believe that Jesus was the son of a god, that Allah sent Mohammed to enlighten the world, or believe in any of these...
http://www.godchecker.com/
It is all mythology.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10774 Jan 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, religious truths *claim* to be absolute. But they are not. In fact, they are mostly wrong of meaningless.
<quoted text>
Yes, science has the ability to modify its beliefs to repair its mistakes. Religions, however, simply claim that their new ways have always been done. Science is honest and religion is dishonest.
Right, science is always based on reality and variable. Religions are myths or worse crimes.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10776 Jan 20, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
.. never heard atheism is an adjective. For my 70 years of my being an atheist I never heard atheism is no movement...
Then perhaps it is time to reconsider these ideas, Henry, as we ask people to reconsider their ideas about the existence of an Abrahamic god?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
Quote: Adj. 1. atheist - related to or characterized by or given to atheism; "atheist leanings".

Atheism simply means 'One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods'. We don't believe in Pixies either.

Your reply dignifies religion. Perhaps like many people you aren't conscious of the fact that 'atheism' and 'secularism' are essentially religious terms in that if there was no belief in god(s), we wouldn't need those words.

I think religion is declinging and that will make the world a better place, but it won't be atheism triumphing over religion. It is simply the case that an ever increasing number of people are seeing religion for what it is - superstitious gobbledygook.

There are many (and an increasing number) of atheist groups. I don't think this is most accurately described as an atheist movement succeeding over religious movements. I think it is best described as an ever increasing number of people seeing religion for what it is - superstitious gobbldygook.

I don't call myself atheist (though I don't object to it). Atheists are what religionists call non-believers. In my view, we seem a very disparate bunch and aren't a coherent or alternative movement.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#10777 Jan 20, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And exactly how do you know that this is an "absolute moral standard"? Are you claiming to be the keeper of the "approved list" of these "absolute moral standards"?
Where do you get this list of "absolute morals"? The just come to you in a dream or did you hear a voice dictate them to you or what?
In the Abrahamic mythology Jehovah commanded his followers to kill all witches. Do you accept that witches are real and it is your moral responsibility to kill them?
Do you follow all the laws and commandments as documented in your holy scripture? If not, how do you decide which commandments to follow and which to ignore?
Now, I am not (happily) living in Africa and so on, so your opinion about (never existing) witches is amusing for me. BTW I am an atheist.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10778 Jan 20, 2013
tiddlywinks wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do they claim to be on the march in America?
I don't think all atheists are claiming to be on the march. I'm not. That happens to be the title of some articles and correspondence. I suppose, sometimes atheists do march...
http://reasonrally.org/about/
"The intent is to unify, energize, and embolden secular people nationwide, while dispelling the negative opinions held by so much of American society… and having a damn good time doing it!"

And there is a growing amount of atheist music..
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...
and John Lennon's imagine?

Put that together with atheist groups and meetings and I suppose it could be said that atheists are marching.

As with everything in life, it is a matter of degree not absolutes.
Henry

Aue, Germany

#10780 Jan 20, 2013
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Although I have to sadly agree, one can only hope. Religion preys on the guilt, pain, and hoplessness of humanity. It demands indoctrination from birth, so as to continue and propagate it's parasitic hold on humanity. The good news is, that more and more people are leaving the myth behind. As people become better and better educated, they will eventually outgrow the infantile need for an invisible sky-gremlin, and will lose the fear that religion uses to keep the sheep in line. I may not see it in my lifetime, but I hope my children or at worst my grandchildren will one day see a world void of the plauge that is religion.
The nuclear age is of course a thread for the survival of mankind as a whole!
Henry

Aue, Germany

#10782 Jan 20, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, religions are not truths but myths! Science are based on realities!
Lincoln

United States

#10783 Jan 20, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Religions are myths, at the worse the are crimes. Many scientists are of course atheists.
Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot all atheists murders.
Crimes of atheist leaders plagued the 20th century.
Many Scientists are left handed
Henry

Aue, Germany

#10784 Jan 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on the atheist.
Different atheists. different beliefs. There is no atheist Pope :-)
Can You tolerate other opinions?
Atheists are based on science. Atheists are not against different opinions, but religions are myths and rather worse!
Henry

Aue, Germany

#10785 Jan 20, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
And the West supports him, like it supports Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Yemen, Oman, etc... that all have Sharia law !!!
All great friends of the West...
The islamist countries are often fight against atheism, so do of course other religions too!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10786 Jan 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot all atheists murders.
Crimes of atheist leaders plagued the 20th century.
Many Scientists are left handed
By all accounts, Hitler thought he was a good Christian.

Communism is NOT the same as atheism. In fact "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" is derived from the Bible -- Acts 2:44-45, Acts 4:34-37. There are lots of Christian communistic "communes" in existence today (i.e., Quakers).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Eagle 12 227,766
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 21 min KIND 345
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 5 hr Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 6 hr Reason Personified 484
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr NightSerf 932
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 9 hr P_Smith 1
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 12 hr BeHereNow 134
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE