Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,173

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#10663 Jan 17, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So then all theistic philosophies can be lumped into one. Those that believe in Quetzalcoatl or Shiva or Satan or Allah or Jehovah or Baal or Thor or ??? can all be considered the same? Really?
Buddhism is an atheistic philosophy, as is Humanism.
It is quite common to refer to varying levels of a belief with qualifying names.

Philosophy can be used in broad as well as narrow strokes to define differing belief systems.

Location hidden

#10664 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Straw man BSer.
<quoted text>
Do you have a rational argument to make?

Location hidden

#10665 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Prove it.
<quoted text>
I have been doing...

By showing the inconsistencies in atheistic thinking, particularly in the realm of morality.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10666 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am claiming absolute morality proceeds from Gods very nature.
The God revealed in the Bible.
You are not going to get very far if you cannot understand my most basic argument.
You can argue all day long with a strawman if you want to, but it will be quite a futile exercise.
Yes, if you claim that morals come from an invisible supernatural sky deity without any evidence what-so-ever to substantiat your claim or at least differentiate it from all the other deity claims, then you are right.

I do try to be patient with stupidity, but not with those that are so proud of it as you are.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10668 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been doing...
By showing the inconsistencies in atheistic thinking, particularly in the realm of morality.
Do you still kill witches?

Religious morality is the most inconsistent morality imaginable.

Location hidden

#10667 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I think f**king under 10s is wrong. Religion does not. My values are better.
<quoted text>
So you are your own absolute standard when it comes to defining morality?

What if your neighbour believes they are also their own absolute standard and they disagree with you.

Who is right, them or you?

You are making arbitrary claims about absolute morality, based on your own perceived authority.

But are you omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and eternal in nature?

Because that is what you need to be if you want to set yourself as the final authority on absolute morality...

Do you understand your own reasoning on this point and the absurd conclusion it takes you to?

Location hidden

#10669 Jan 17, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, if you claim that morals come from an invisible supernatural sky deity without any evidence what-so-ever to substantiat your claim or at least differentiate it from all the other deity claims, then you are right.
I do try to be patient with stupidity, but not with those that are so proud of it as you are.
So you come back to this argument.

Stupid: God did it.

Intelligent: A Rock did it.

Do you really want to chase that cat up the tree again?

This is also not a question of evidence, it would not matter what evidence I showed you, you already have a priori position, that denying God is essential for you to justify your own personal choices in life.

Evidence will never convince you, because you are not really open to evidence.

Your presuppositional worldview precludes it.

Location hidden

#10670 Jan 17, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you still kill witches?
Religious morality is the most inconsistent morality imaginable.
Why would you care?

Atheists embrace inconsistent morality.

They promote the idea of subjective morality.

So why are you contending that it is wrong to be inconsistent morally?

Are you using Gods laws of morality to argue that God doesn't exist again and has no claim on you?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10671 Jan 17, 2013
You have been doing what?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been doing...
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10672 Jan 17, 2013
BS
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are your own absolute standard when it comes to defining morality?
What if your neighbour believes they are also their own absolute standard and they disagree with you.
Who is right, them or you?
You are making arbitrary claims about absolute morality, based on your own perceived authority.
But are you omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and eternal in nature?
Because that is what you need to be if you want to set yourself as the final authority on absolute morality...
Do you understand your own reasoning on this point and the absurd conclusion it takes you to?

Location hidden

#10673 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
BS
<quoted text>
Do you have a rational response to make, or can you only offer arbitrary opinions when you disagree with something?

Your hostility reveals some deep seated anger about something...

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#10674 Jan 17, 2013
This...this here :
mtimber wrote:

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10675 Jan 17, 2013
Wow so many words and yet saying nothing. So now you are not only part of the godhead but also a co creator of the universe? Lmfao!

This one is nuttier than squirrel droppings!

So stop stalling and tell us your solutions to fix things. You claimed as a god and creator of the universe that you had these solutions so by all means share these solutions with us captain crazysht!
Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you find the idea of being part of God threatening, and yet you are not personally diminished. As co-creators with God, we have the ability to create a sane and just society in which to live. Isn't that what we all want? Or do you need "evil" religions to exonerate your perception of the goodness of atheism?
A belief in good without a belief in evil, may seem highly unrealistic to you but this belief is the best kind of insurance you can have, both during physical life and afterwards..

Lexington, KY

#10676 Jan 17, 2013
Well let's see we have this turd who refuses to acknowledge the answers given him an just blindly repeats them again and again.

Game over turd. Time to flush.

:Flush:
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolute morality requires an absolute God by definition...
It is self attesting.
All absolute moral positions come from God.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10677 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
...This is also not a question of evidence, it would not matter what evidence I showed you, you already have a priori position, that denying God is essential for you to justify your own personal choices in life.
Evidence will never convince you, because you are not really open to evidence.
Your presuppositional worldview precludes it.
How would you know, you never have presented any.

Should I just take everybody's word for whatever they claim to be true or should I require real evidence before believing that Shiva is real?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10678 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you care?
Atheists embrace inconsistent morality.
They promote the idea of subjective morality.
So why are you contending that it is wrong to be inconsistent morally?
Are you using Gods laws of morality to argue that God doesn't exist again and has no claim on you?
Still trying to pass of your straw man fallacy. Nobody's buying it.

I notice you continue to side step any discussion of how inconsistent religious morals are. Do you still kill witches? Wouldn't you just love to burn me at the stake right now if it was still legal?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#10679 Jan 17, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Wow so many words and yet saying nothing. So now you are not only part of the godhead but also a co creator of the universe? Lmfao!
This one is nuttier than squirrel droppings!
So stop stalling and tell us your solutions to fix things. You claimed as a god and creator of the universe that you had these solutions so by all means share these solutions with us captain crazysht!
<quoted text>
What's your solution big mouth? I mean, besides twisting and distorting the words of others. The atheistic position that life happened randomly for no particular reason and nothing matters in the end has about as much appeal to the intelligent thinking individual as a turd in a punch bowl!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#10680 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter how you deny it, it is a standard fallacy of bifurcation you committed.
A little bit of research will show you that.
Why would you be concerned about genocide being something that is indefensible?
You are an atheist, you have no absolute moral standards to appeal to.
If one society decides to kill another for the sake of survival, why would you deem that wrong?
Why do you keep appealing to absolute moral standards?
We both know why.
You live in a universe created by God, which includes absolute moral standards.
Which makes sense as to why you appeal to them.
But knowing that you would have to acknowledge God if you recognise them, you will deny them, whilst using them.
Showing your inconsistency and revealing that you do really know the truth on this matter...
It is not a question of God existing or not, it is a question of Gods authority over you that you take the real issue with.
Who are you to dictate who has/hasn't got moral standards?

You would confine all of morality to your superstition and then limit it to an unprovable supernatural being.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#10681 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am claiming absolute morality proceeds from Gods very nature.
The God revealed in the Bible.
You are not going to get very far if you cannot understand my most basic argument.
You can argue all day long with a strawman if you want to, but it will be quite a futile exercise.
You really shouldn't refer to your god as a strawman.

He's killed thousands for a lot less than that.

Chicago, IL

#10682 Jan 17, 2013
Strawman argument as expected. Ignored and rightly so.

Can you give is any reasons as to why your god is anything more than a delusion? Wrathbone claims that he himself is a god and creator of the universe, do you believe him? Do you worship him?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your solution big mouth? I mean, besides twisting and distorting the words of others. The atheistic position that life happened randomly for no particular reason and nothing matters in the end has about as much appeal to the intelligent thinking individual as a turd in a punch bowl!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 min Uncle Sam 2,236
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min polymath257 232,712
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr _Bad Company 1,437
God' existence 19 hr polymath257 55
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 19 hr polymath257 112
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 19 hr Geezerjock 1
Australia: black magic pervert retard 21 hr Thinking 4
Evidence for God! 22 hr ChristineM 366
More from around the web