Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,041

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#10642 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If you can't do the right thing without a religion you are a sad and evil f*ck.
<quoted text>
And the basis for your absolute moral standard here is what?

Your own arbitrary opinion?

Location hidden

#10643 Jan 17, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I didn't. I tacitly accept the biochemistry hypothesis only to the extent there is real evidence.
Whine all you want about "a rock did it". That's a straw man fallacy which has nothing to do with what the science says. Every time you spout this nonsense you are showing everybody how much you don't know.
So non life didn't spontaneously create life then?

A rock didn't do it?

And this evidence you keep pointing to, can you produce it?

Empirical evidence of course, as that is the only evidence that really accounts according to your own standards.

Location hidden

#10644 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
So why are there "child abuse is normal" stories in the bible?
Why did mohammed f**k an under ten?
Substantiated.
<quoted text>
I am sorry, upon what basis are you claiming these acts are absolutely wrong?

As an atheist, there is no absolute moral standard, so I am not sure why you are appealing to absolute moral standards over and over again to support your arguments.

I have assumed you are, but maybe you are not a atheist?

Location hidden

#10645 Jan 17, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently don't understand what atheism is (or is not). But it seems to scare you.
I'm a Humanist.
I am not sure why you would think atheism would scare someone, especially when they understand it is a bankrupt philosophical viewpoint that cannot account for morality, logic and scientific law.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10646 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you care or appeal to an absolute moral standard that bigotry is wrong?
I thought you were an atheist?
And exactly how do you know that this is an "absolute moral standard"? Are you claiming to be the keeper of the "approved list" of these "absolute moral standards"?

Where do you get this list of "absolute morals"? The just come to you in a dream or did you hear a voice dictate them to you or what?

In the Abrahamic mythology Jehovah commanded his followers to kill all witches. Do you accept that witches are real and it is your moral responsibility to kill them?

Do you follow all the laws and commandments as documented in your holy scripture? If not, how do you decide which commandments to follow and which to ignore?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10647 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So non life didn't spontaneously create life then?
A rock didn't do it?
And this evidence you keep pointing to, can you produce it?
Empirical evidence of course, as that is the only evidence that really accounts according to your own standards.
It is not my job to teach you science. I'm just pointing out that you don't understand any of it.

How many times have I suggested that you should go to the Evolution Forum if you want to discuss biology or biochemistry. Scared they'd laugh at you too much?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10648 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure why you would think atheism would scare someone, especially when they understand it is a bankrupt philosophical viewpoint that cannot account for morality, logic and scientific law.
But it is NOT a philosophical view. It is nothing but a general category to define any and all people who are not in the category theism.

Location hidden

#10649 Jan 17, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And exactly how do you know that this is an "absolute moral standard"? Are you claiming to be the keeper of the "approved list" of these "absolute moral standards"?
Where do you get this list of "absolute morals"? The just come to you in a dream or did you hear a voice dictate them to you or what?
In the Abrahamic mythology Jehovah commanded his followers to kill all witches. Do you accept that witches are real and it is your moral responsibility to kill them?
Do you follow all the laws and commandments as documented in your holy scripture? If not, how do you decide which commandments to follow and which to ignore?
I know that there are absolute moral standards, just as you do.

As God has revealed them to humanity, through our conscience and through the Scriptures.

I can prove you know they exist as whilst you deny them, you keep picking them up and using them.

And when I point that out to you, you drop them as a guilty child would drop a stolen toy.

If you do not believe in absolute moral standards, why do you keep appealing to them and using them?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#10650 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked a question in a certain way as to allow only two conclusions or limited conclusions.
It is called the fallacy of bifurcation...
You were the one talking about moral absolutes.

I just pointed out that they're not as perfect as you seem to think they are.

Location hidden

#10651 Jan 17, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not my job to teach you science. I'm just pointing out that you don't understand any of it.
How many times have I suggested that you should go to the Evolution Forum if you want to discuss biology or biochemistry. Scared they'd laugh at you too much?
I reject your arbitrary claim of having superior scientific comprehension.

Why?

Because you still assert a "rock did it" without being able to supply any empirical evidence for it.

Why would I accept your authority if you cannot rationally establish a basis for your claim to greater knowledge on such a simple matter as this.

Location hidden

#10652 Jan 17, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You were the one talking about moral absolutes.
I just pointed out that they're not as perfect as you seem to think they are.
No, you committed the fallacy of bifurcation.

A logical fallacy, that demands a limited set of responses by stipulating premises that only allow certain responses.

Location hidden

#10653 Jan 17, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
But it is NOT a philosophical view. It is nothing but a general category to define any and all people who are not in the category theism.
Of course it is a philosophical view, a catch all for people who agree on certain broad pre-suppositions that they assume as a given as their ultimate standard of truth.

I.E.

There is no God.

Atheists of course realise the implications of this, so try to redefine it, as they are uncomfortable with making a truth claim they know they cannot prove.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#10654 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you committed the fallacy of bifurcation.
A logical fallacy, that demands a limited set of responses by stipulating premises that only allow certain responses.
Nope

I simply demonstrated the flaw in your moral standards.

You'll be defending genocide next.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10655 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that there are absolute moral standards, just as you do.
As God has revealed them to humanity, through our conscience and through the Scriptures.
I can prove you know they exist as whilst you deny them, you keep picking them up and using them.
And when I point that out to you, you drop them as a guilty child would drop a stolen toy.
If you do not believe in absolute moral standards, why do you keep appealing to them and using them?
So you are claiming a religious foundation for moral precepts which cannot be shown to originate from religion.

How do you account for how societal morals have changed over time? Or do you still kill witches? Keep slaves? Think women are subservient to men? Stone children who sass their parents?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10656 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it is a philosophical view, a catch all for people who agree on certain broad pre-suppositions that they assume as a given as their ultimate standard of truth.
I.E.
There is no God.
Atheists of course realise the implications of this, so try to redefine it, as they are uncomfortable with making a truth claim they know they cannot prove.
So then all theistic philosophies can be lumped into one. Those that believe in Quetzalcoatl or Shiva or Satan or Allah or Jehovah or Baal or Thor or ??? can all be considered the same? Really?

Buddhism is an atheistic philosophy, as is Humanism.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10657 Jan 17, 2013
Well said.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently don't understand what atheism is (or is not). But it seems to scare you.
I'm a Humanist.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10658 Jan 17, 2013
Straw man BSer.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I reject your arbitrary claim of having superior scientific comprehension.
Why?
Because you still assert a "rock did it" without being able to supply any empirical evidence for it.
Why would I accept your authority if you cannot rationally establish a basis for your claim to greater knowledge on such a simple matter as this.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10659 Jan 17, 2013
Prove it.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10660 Jan 17, 2013
I think f**king under 10s is wrong. Religion does not. My values are better.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry, upon what basis are you claiming these acts are absolutely wrong?
As an atheist, there is no absolute moral standard, so I am not sure why you are appealing to absolute moral standards over and over again to support your arguments.
I have assumed you are, but maybe you are not a atheist?

Location hidden

#10661 Jan 17, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope
I simply demonstrated the flaw in your moral standards.
You'll be defending genocide next.
Doesn't matter how you deny it, it is a standard fallacy of bifurcation you committed.

A little bit of research will show you that.

Why would you be concerned about genocide being something that is indefensible?

You are an atheist, you have no absolute moral standards to appeal to.

If one society decides to kill another for the sake of survival, why would you deem that wrong?

Why do you keep appealing to absolute moral standards?

We both know why.

You live in a universe created by God, which includes absolute moral standards.

Which makes sense as to why you appeal to them.

But knowing that you would have to acknowledge God if you recognise them, you will deny them, whilst using them.

Showing your inconsistency and revealing that you do really know the truth on this matter...

It is not a question of God existing or not, it is a question of Gods authority over you that you take the real issue with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr ChristineM 230,944
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 5 hr Hooogle It 77
Evidence for God! 10 hr Uncle Sam 43
Heaven 10 hr susanblange 42
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 19 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,391
Our world came from nothing? 22 hr _Bad Company 1,103
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Wed Dally Mama 5,583

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE