Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
9,941 - 9,960 of 21,384 Comments Last updated 22 min ago
Henry

Issersheilingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

P_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, uneducated masses who can't think rationally, especially in regard to their biases.
Capitlist societies don`t actually be for the educated masses. The US with their bad educational system are an exampel! Propaganda is able to keep masses from education but not for ever!

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You lack of understanding of biochemistry in particular and science in general is not our problem. However there is a whole Topix Forum dedicated to Evolution, you should avail yourself of it ... that is, if you really want to learn something about abiogenesis or evolution.
At least we have some evidence to hypothesize various scenarios for abiogenesis. That's a thousand percent more than any evidence for **poof* some invisible sky deity did it.
But I do find it interesting that your question infers that you understand that belief on faith is irrational.
You have just stated that you don't understand how life started.

Then you argue that I should educate myself on how life started because of my ignorance of "science"...

Again you are being inconsistent, arguing that I should learn the science that you do not have so i can be as intelligent as you...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep saying that but you have yet to name one that you can show originated from any god.
You have not understood my argument.

I am stating that if absolute moraity exists, an absolute Creator has to be the source of that morality.

The proof is that without an absolute God, there would not be any absolute morality.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
My position is based only on reason and logic, and is supported by evidence. Did you know that gorillas are known to actually care for human young when presented with such an opportunity? At least they try, it's only the adults they see as threats. This kind of morality is seen in other species, who will adopt orphans of similar species and care for them.
Morality is purely subjective, but our survival traits influence them a lot, and survival of the species takes priority over survival of the self. The best way to ensure survival of the species is to work together and protect as many of your species as possible, it's a very basic set of survival traits and instincts, and fully understood on how they came about, oddly. Your "morality" includes stoning people for being different, enslaving people of other tribes, and genocide. The rest of us have evolved past these primitive and self defeating "morals," you refuse to, so you have to make an excuse of why you hold onto them.
If you believe morality is only subjective, why do you keep stating absolute moral positions?

You are behaving irrationally.

Your wordview crumbles under the slightest logical examination.

So why should anyone listen to you when you attack other wordldviews.

You need to account for your own irrationality before you have any grounds to claim someone else is irrational...
Henry

Issersheilingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You can live in you world of hallucination, there is no problem with us. So many isms came and vanished from the face of earth while religions continued to exist.
Does any one remembers Communism? It was dreamed to be the "next world ideology" It just vanished into thin air!!
The same is the fate of this Modern Materialistic and Atheist philosophy. Its days are numbered, you can start counting from reverse now!!
Communism is vanished at all. Capitalism is on the brink of its existence. This does not mean humanity is in a nuclear age in an extreme danger of extinction yet. Religion is not have a suvival as a myth. Maybe religion may have some life in the private region.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Are there any other options available, or are the above the only options?
The options are there.

Take your pick.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you argue that I should educate myself on how life started because of my ignorance of "science"...
Again you are being inconsistent, arguing that I should learn the science that you do not have so i can be as intelligent as you...
Abiogenesis is a new field, it is producing promising results and evidence to support some of the hypothesis involved. That does not mean it has any actual answers yet, but you should learn what they have discovered before addressing it, much less attempting to oppose it.

Evolution speaks nothing of how life started.

You accept a made up non-answer in place of seeking actual answers, it is you who is inconsistent.
Henry

Issersheilingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't either. Although I have repeatedly asked you to define just 1 absolute moral position that you can show originated from your religion.
Moral is a product of class societies. A change of the ruling class may have a change for the now ruling class. This may be realised by a revolution. This may be come through a new leading class.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The options are there.
Take your pick.

So only the options you specify are permitted?

Why would I engage with your arbitrary arguments?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis is a new field, it is producing promising results and evidence to support some of the hypothesis involved. That does not mean it has any actual answers yet, but you should learn what they have discovered before addressing it, much less attempting to oppose it.
Evolution speaks nothing of how life started.
You accept a made up non-answer in place of seeking actual answers, it is you who is inconsistent.
I appreciate you have great faith that one day it will be proven that "a rock did it".

But whilst you maintain that faith posiition, you cannot claim to operate solely on reason and logic.

Again, more inconsistencies.

Your wordlview is clearly disfunctional, by the myriads of inconsistencies it keeps displaying under the lightest of examinations...

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Your emotionally arbitrary statements show a lack of the capacity to reason clearly and objectively.
Every time you post in this manner, you merely display your ignorance of the methods of logical discussion and debate.
In other words you just realized "Oh shit - he's right."

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So only the options you specify are permitted?
Why would I engage with your arbitrary arguments?
Let's have another look at what I posted this morning...
Khatru wrote:
Absolute morality?

Like the the "Honour thy father and mother" commandment?

What if you father is Josef Fritzl? I'm sure you remember him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzl_case

Do you honestly believe that Fritzl's daughters should still honour that man? If you do, then your sense of morality is pretty degenerate.

If, however, you admit that it doesn't apply in this particular case, then your morals are hardly an absolute rule.
Fourth sentence down, I asked you a question.

It remains unanswered.

Looks like you're scared to answer it.
Henry

Issersheilingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You can live in you world of hallucination, there is no problem with us. So many isms came and vanished from the face of earth while religions continued to exist.
Does any one remembers Communism? It was dreamed to be the "next world ideology" It just vanished into thin air!!
The same is the fate of this Modern Materialistic and Atheist philosophy. Its days are numbered, you can start counting from reverse now!!
The only life of capitalism is profit (superprofit) which war is bringing. In the nuclear age this may be the end of mankind before capitalism has gone.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate you have great faith that one day it will be proven that "a rock did it".
But whilst you maintain that faith posiition, you cannot claim to operate solely on reason and logic.
Your wordlview is clearly disfunctional, by the myriads of inconsistencies it keeps displaying under the lightest of examinations...
No one has stated "a rock did it" except creationists, it's called a strawman, and it's one of the most over used ones. I have no faith in anything that has not presented evidence, therefore, I remove the need for blind faith. You rely on being gullible, you have to be gullible to buy anything without evidence the way you have. You are also projecting your delusional state onto me, you should get seen by a professional.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
He has well founded expectations that science will one day provide an answer.

This is quite understandable given the amazing successes science has achieved in explaining our reality with real and tangible truths as opposed to superstition and mumbo jumbo.

Remember. Of the many thousands of mysteries science has solved, not one of those solutions has been put down to magic.
Henry

Issersheilingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont really get this new age talk. Preferrable to the old age religions, but why does anyone need the comfort blanket of any religion anyway?
Religion is the blanket for the ruling exploiting classes. The exploiters have to be extinquished by the toiling classes. In the nuclear age this can only be done by a revolution, which may cost the life of humanity.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not understood my argument.
I am stating that if absolute moraity exists, an absolute Creator has to be the source of that morality.
The proof is that without an absolute God, there would not be any absolute morality.
And I am asking you to provide evidence of any absolute morality.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words you just realized "Oh shit - he's right."
Another arbitrary claim without an appeal to evidence or reason...

Now you might consider your own opinion a sufficient basis for measuring the universe and its implications, but it is not acceptable to be arbitrary in a logical discussion.

A troll wll constantly appeal to his own authority as a basis for justifying his emotional and arbitrary claims.

But why should anyone respect such egotistical and shallow claims to authority?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
What I said was "at least we have some evidence to hypothesize various scenarios for abiogenesis." And I suggested that if you really wanted to discuss this aspect of science, there is a Topix Forum for that.

But thank you for going out of your way to show that you intend to misrepresent my posts so readily. Obviously bearing false witness isn't a problem for you.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Moral is a product of class societies. A change of the ruling class may have a change for the now ruling class. This may be realised by a revolution. This may be come through a new leading class.
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is the blanket for the ruling exploiting classes. The exploiters have to be extinquished by the toiling classes. In the nuclear age this can only be done by a revolution, which may cost the life of humanity.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." (Lucius Annaeus Seneca)

But violence is never a solution.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 27 min Patrick 224,084
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Charchar king 192
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr religionisillness 834
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 5 hr religionisillness 361
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 10 hr Patrick 16
Of Interest InTheNews 10 hr Patrick 3
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... Wed Patrick 1,285
•••
•••