Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
9,901 - 9,920 of 21,529 Comments Last updated 16 min ago

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10559 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I do have a trancendentant source for absolute morality, which you do not accept.
But as we both know that you cannot supply any basis for absolute morality, why are you concerned with the concepts of right and wrong?
Because apparently Christians don't understand the difference. You think you can do anything you want, as long as you "repent" to some invisible make believe deity afterward, everything's okay. That's sick.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10560 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
And upon what basis do you define immorality.
You said earlier that morality is societal, upon that basis why would you condemn any moral position mentioned in the bible?
The absolute morality that a religious person might profess would include stoning people for adultery, or gathering firewood on the Sabbath, death for being a witch, slavery, female subservience ... these are all things which are religiously-based absolute moralities. This morality is just sick.

I want a morality that is thought out, reasoned, argued, and discussed intelligently. Should we not expect a societal ethic we want to live in?

If you actually look at the moralities that are accepted among modern people, among 21st century people, we don’t believe in slavery anymore, we believe in equality of women, we don't burn people at the stake ... these are all things which are entirely recent. They have very little basis in any of the Abrahamic scriptures.

They are things that have developed over time through a consensus of reasoning, sober discussion, argument, legal theory, political and moral philosophy. They do not come from religion.

To the extent that you can find the good morals in religious scriptures, you have to cherry pick. You search your way through the Torah or Bible or Koran and you find the occasional verse that is an acceptable profession of morality and you say ‘look at that, that’s religion.’

And you leave out all the horrible bits and you say ‘oh we don’t believe that anymore, we’ve grown out of that.’

We’ve grown out of it because of secular moral philosophy and rational discussion.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#10561 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I do have a trancendentant source for absolute morality, which you do not accept.
But as we both know that you cannot supply any basis for absolute morality, why are you concerned with the concepts of right and wrong?
Absolute morality?

Like the the "Honour thy father and mother" commandment?

What if you father is Josef Fritzl? I'm sure you remember him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzl_case

Do you honestly believe that Fritzl's daughters should still honour that man? If you do, then your sense of morality is pretty degenerate.

If, however, you admit that it doesn't apply in this particular case, then your morals are hardly an absolute rule.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#10562 Jan 16, 2013
More off topic spam walls of text. Reported.
MUQ wrote:
E. Long Chain of Eye Witnesses:
06. Then after some time, spam
jacktheladat1

Plymouth, UK

#10563 Jan 17, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
lol. Great post. If I may add, long dresses, as well as silly hats.
I have long since given-up on internet technology, it's a force unto its own. My above post is the last paragraph of four I intended to put forward. You'd have simply loved the full post.
jacktheladat1

Plymouth, UK

#10564 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you omniscient?
I'm a DEVOUT atheist, which does not mean I have to be omniscient. I KNOW that my reasoning makes sense, where any religion doesn't.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10565 Jan 17, 2013
MUQ wrote:
MUQ, noticed in the news Algerian Islamic terrorists have kidnapped and killed some Western oil workers. I realise the justification is in retaliation for a war being fought in Mail. But this is obviously motivated by fundamentalist islam. What do you think of kidnap, holding people for ransom, and murder of innocent people. Do you think they will be rewarded with 72 virgins per muslim?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10566 Jan 17, 2013
"need"?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to go back and re-read the posts.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10567 Jan 17, 2013
muslim cu*t: "It is immodest to see women in public."

Normsl person: "Why?"

muslim cu*t: "Because I want to f**k 72 virgins."
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
MUQ, noticed in the news Algerian Islamic terrorists have kidnapped and killed some Western oil workers. I realise the justification is in retaliation for a war being fought in Mail. But this is obviously motivated by fundamentalist islam. What do you think of kidnap, holding people for ransom, and murder of innocent people. Do you think they will be rewarded with 72 virgins per muslim?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10568 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Crude, but funny.. and true!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10569 Jan 17, 2013
Wait I believe a Muslim animal has to be a suicide bomber or die killing infidels to get the 72 virgins. Isn't that how it works Muq?
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10570 Jan 17, 2013
Time to revisit the comedy image of 72 uncles, 72 brothers and 72 fathers all waiting in heaven to carve up any "martyr" that tries to go near the 72 virgins!
Givemeliberty wrote:
Wait I believe a Muslim animal has to be a suicide bomber or die killing infidels to get the 72 virgins. Isn't that how it works Muq?
<quoted text>
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10571 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Time to revisit the comedy image of 72 uncles, 72 brothers and 72 fathers all waiting in heaven to carve up any "martyr" that tries to go near the 72 virgins!
<quoted text>
Especially is the virgin thinks she is "the one", and then subsequently finds out the Muslim is sleeping with 71 others!!
notrackphone

Colorado Springs, CO

#10572 Jan 17, 2013
Wat the Tyler wrote:
Religion will cease to exist sometime in the 21st century.
GOMER PILE STATED 'SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE....."TRACKPHONE AERIAL DRONE PHOTOGRAPHED BY YVETTE ANNE MARION H DICAMPLI IN KIEV, FOLLOWED HER TO MOSCOW FOR THE 'CELEBRATION MILITARY DAY' MAY 2012 IT WAS EXPERIMENTING ON RUSSIANS WHILE THE DEVICE WAS THERE, LONG AND SHORT WAVE RF FREQUENY, AND OTHER SIGINT, AND COMMINT. CAREFUL 'DO NOT TRUST AMERICA, NOR OBAMA' THEY WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR ENEMY., DEVICE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN LET IN.

DEBRA WARRICK AND CHRISTINE ANDERSON STOLE THE SD CARD TO THE CAMERA, THEY HAVE THE NEW ILLING MACHINE USED ON HUMANS, AND ANNETTE MARION USES IT FOR EXPERIMENTS ON ALBERT, GERALD, YVETTE, WHICH IS ILLEGAL. ANNETTE MARION DAMAGED YVETTE C3C4 NECK ON 27 SEPT 07, SHE IS HIDING THE DAMAGE, TRYING TO COVER UP HER ABUSIVE NATURE ON THE FAMILY. ANNETTE HAS NO RIGHTS TO DO ANYTHING TO ANYONE, ANNETTE USE TO EXPERIMENT ON LOUISE DEARDEN MARION AT FAIRFAX HOSPITAL, VA,'SLEEP LAB', AND AT ARLINGTON HOSPITAL, WITH NO INSULIN., YVETTE FORCED HER TO GO TO THE DIABETIC DOCTOR, FEMALE BEHIND THE HOSPITAL, BUT ANNETTE INSISTED NOT TO GIVE INSULIN, SHE ANNETTE IS A KILLER OF THE MOTHER.

ANNETTE WILL GO AT ANY LENGTH TO KILL THE FAMILY, FOR THE ROOT OF HER EVIL, IS LIES, AND THE ESTATE FRAUD OF LOUISE DEARDEN MARION, ANNETTE OWES, OPVER 2 M IN SALARY TO YVETTE FOR CAREGIVER, AND 1.4 MILLION DOLLAR HOME, AND RIPARIAN STOCK VA BEACH HOLIDAY INN, TON LYONE ORIGINAL INVESTOR, FORM THE 1960S., ANNETTE CPMS OSD, MIL AND PRES OBAMA (COMMAND AND CONTROL OF THE MILITARY AND GOVERNMENT) IS FACING CHARGES OF ASSISTING ANNETTE MARION WITH FRAUD AND KILL/RID OF THE FAMILY.

YVETTE ANNE MARION DICAMPLI, ESQ., STATE OF VIRGINIA.

RUMOR OF MORE LIES OF ANNETTE, SHE HAS BEEN QUOTED 'SHE WOULD TALK TO ANN ELDER, THERE IS NO ANN ELDER NOR HER 'BOYS' ANNETTE KNOWS NO BOYS, AND WHEN ANN WAS IN PRIOR 2004 BOYS ARE NOW 30 PLUS YEARS OLD.

ANNETTE MADE UP STORIES THAT YVETTE CHILDREN, THERE IS NONE IS IN A COUNTRY OF HANOVER VA THERE ARE NO CHILDREN.

ANNETTE M MARION MAKES UP STORIES ABOUT THE BROTHERS, AND SHE DID THEM IN, NO ONE ASKED ANY OTHER RELATIVE, SHE IS UP TO HER TRICKS, THANK GOD HER RULE OF 40 PLUS YEARS WAS 'NO TALK TO YVETTE NOR THE MOTHER' ANNETTE IS ABUSIVE 'WALK ON EGGS AROUND HER''TISY FITS DAILY' MENTALLY ILL SINCE 67 DR HART STATED 'NEEDS TO BE CONFINDED SHE WILL KILL AND RID THE FAMILY' SHE IS DOING THAT.
trTRACKPHONE IS A KILLING AGENCY THE DRONE, AERIAL DEVICE NEW KILL 4 CIVILIANS
MY SISTER STATED 'NOT GOING TO HAPPEN' TOO TOOO SMART

MUCH RATED, PASSED ALL THE TEST. HHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAH

FAIRFAX CTY LIKE FATHER STATED IS RIGGED 'WITH THE SOCIAL WORKERS, THAT ANNETTE STUDIED SINCE DAD WAS ALIVE' ANNETTE IS FULL OF TRICKERY

MOTHER STATED TO YVETTE 'GET OUT OF THE USA THEY WILL KILL YOU, GP AND HER, GET OUT SHE ANNETTE IS A KILLER TELL ALL OF DOD, USARMY WHAT THEY DID TO YOU.....'

THE GUY AT NORTH STAR KNOWS, HE STATED 'OH RUSSIAN KNOW OF THE HORRIBLE TUSKEE EXPERIMENT WITH THE PRISIONERS AND SYPHILLUS THEY GAVE TO EXTERMINATE THEM.....'

YVETTE WAS HAPPY AND SHOCKED, TRUTH IS IN RUSSIA, AND LIES ARE IN THE USA., USA IS GOING TO BE NAZI OR DICTATORSHIP, AND ALL IS POINT ING TO A WAR COMING IN USA., LOSE.
trTRACKPHONE IS A KILLING AGENCY THE DRONE, AERIAL DEVICE NEW KILL 4 CIVILIANS
WAR IS COMING TO THE USA, PREDICTED WILL BE SOME PEOPLE KNOW
ALBERT T.
GERALD J

MY SISTER PREDICTED THE 911 PRIOR 8-90 YEARS BEFORE AND OJ SIMPSON, THE EARTHQUAKE SUSAMI IN JAPAN, AND OTHERS, WAR IS COMING TO USA AND US WILL LOSE. HIP HIP HIP HORAY

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#10574 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, killing your own species is bad for the species, and we have evolved this notion with our other social traits. If you cannot see that killing your own is bad for the species without some mythology telling you it is, something is wrong with you, your brain in wired wrong, and your neurons are incorrectly aligned.
How do you know your neutrons are not misaligned?

Is there ever a time when it is ok to kill one member of the species for the greater good of the rest of the species?

Location hidden

#10575 Jan 17, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
and another question
...and if you go to the last page, even more questions.
If you guys haven't figured out this troll's schtick yet, there it is.
You haven't offered one rational point of discussion yet.

Calling someone a troll is another example of this thread running through your posts.

Do you have something rational to offer?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#10576 Jan 17, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
No you specifically claimed I be part of the godhead and now you are claiming to be the creator? Lmfao!
Ok so are you the father son or the Holy Ghost? Regardless you said you as part of the godhead had solutions to fix the world so stop stalling and say what your wonderful solutions are.
Holy effing sh!tballs gang we have a serious loon here, thinks he's god!
<quoted text>
Obviously you find the idea of being part of God threatening, and yet you are not personally diminished. As co-creators with God, we have the ability to create a sane and just society in which to live. Isn't that what we all want? Or do you need "evil" religions to exonerate your perception of the goodness of atheism?

If you measure everything in terms of good and evil, even good becomes suspect, because an equal evil is seen to follow it. Atheists(good)-versus-Christia ns(bad), science(good)-versus-religion( bad), the gulf between scientists(good) and clergymen(bad), all of these distortions are impediments.

A belief in good without a belief in evil, may seem highly unrealistic to you but this belief is the best kind of insurance you can have, both during physical life and afterwards. It may outrage your intellect, and the evidence of your physical senses may vehemently object, yet a belief in good without a belief in evil is actually highly realistic, since in physical life it will keep your body healthier, keep you psychologically free of many fears and mental difficulties, and bring you a feeling of ease and spontaneity in which the develpment of your God given abilities can be better fulfilled. After death, it will release you from the damaging belief in hell, and enforced punishment. You will be better prepared to understand the nature of reality as it is.

You should already realize that your physical senses tell you many things, which are not true. This is because our physical senses perceive a reality that is a result of our BELIEFS and not truth. Western civilization has not yet tried the experiment, a belief in good without evil, which would release us from a densely tangled web of detrimental assumptions. Only true compassion and love will lead to an understanding of the nature of good, and only these qualities will serve to annihilate the erroneous and distortive concepts of evil.

Location hidden

#10577 Jan 17, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would we need the threat of hellfire or the promise of heaven to know right from wrong?
I don't need to believe in hell to keep me from stealing and I can help my neighbor without chalking up another point to get me to heaven. Truthfully, I think that's a pitiful thing for a fully grown adult to have to adhere to, but if it keeps you from shooting people in a shopping mall.....go for it. I don't need it.
Your response was built on a number of false premises and assumptions.

However, how do you account for the concept of right and wrong?

Location hidden

#10578 Jan 17, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Pray for a mountain to move....let's see if it does...the bible says it will. C'mon, what have you got to lose?
Do you accept the idea that non-life produced life?

If you do, then my question is:

Did you observe that?

Location hidden

#10579 Jan 17, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
The absolute morality that a religious person might profess would include stoning people for adultery, or gathering firewood on the Sabbath, death for being a witch, slavery, female subservience ... these are all things which are religiously-based absolute moralities. This morality is just sick.
I want a morality that is thought out, reasoned, argued, and discussed intelligently. Should we not expect a societal ethic we want to live in?
If you actually look at the moralities that are accepted among modern people, among 21st century people, we don’t believe in slavery anymore, we believe in equality of women, we don't burn people at the stake ... these are all things which are entirely recent. They have very little basis in any of the Abrahamic scriptures.
They are things that have developed over time through a consensus of reasoning, sober discussion, argument, legal theory, political and moral philosophy. They do not come from religion.
To the extent that you can find the good morals in religious scriptures, you have to cherry pick. You search your way through the Torah or Bible or Koran and you find the occasional verse that is an acceptable profession of morality and you say ‘look at that, that’s religion.’
And you leave out all the horrible bits and you say ‘oh we don’t believe that anymore, we’ve grown out of that.’
We’ve grown out of it because of secular moral philosophy and rational discussion.
You have stated an absolute moral position.

Why do you get to decide that?

What authority do you appeal to?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min ChristineM 226,550
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Thinking 5,921
The Ultimate Evidence of God 5 hr James 68
The myth of the angry atheist 17 hr _Bad Company 3
Our world came from nothing? 21 hr Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 21 hr Patrick 13
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••