Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 495)

Showing posts 9,881 - 9,900 of20,787
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Thinking wrote:
As you brought up high ground first, why don't you define high ground and then perhaps we can discuss the other strata.
<quoted text>
I have a basis for moral objectivity, because of my Christian worldview, how do you account for yours?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't need to. I have confidence in science in exact proportion to the amount of available verifiable evidence. Although abiogenesis has more evidence than **poof**, there are still multiple hypotheses that are dealing with the details and will need further predictive testing before anything definitive can be considered.
So you cannot prove abiogenesis empirically...

So you accept it by faith?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Define "witch".
<quoted text>

Do you really need that term defined?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
They are. But they are also old and have been dealt with far too many times.
Then why haven't you dealt with them already?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no basis to account for right and wrong either. The Bible is loaded with immoral laws and commandments. Why do you pick and choose cafeteria style which moral edicts you will follow?
Again, show me one (1) moral precept that you can prove originated from religion. Just one.
I do have a trancendentant source for absolute morality, which you do not accept.

But as we both know that you cannot supply any basis for absolute morality, why are you concerned with the concepts of right and wrong?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no basis to account for right and wrong either. The Bible is loaded with immoral laws and commandments. Why do you pick and choose cafeteria style which moral edicts you will follow?
Again, show me one (1) moral precept that you can prove originated from religion. Just one.
And upon what basis do you define immorality.

You said earlier that morality is societal, upon that basis why would you condemn any moral position mentioned in the bible?
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

I call Poe, cu*t, or both.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a basis for moral objectivity, because of my Christian worldview, how do you account for yours?
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Which?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Which?
<quoted text>
You need to go back and re-read the posts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
I call Poe, cu*t, or both.
<quoted text>
Do you have a rational response you would like to contribute?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you lived in a society that said killing witches was ok you would go along with that?
and another question....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
and another question

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you cannot prove abiogenesis empirically...
So you accept it by faith?
and another question

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
and another question

...and if you go to the last page, even more questions.

If you guys haven't figured out this troll's schtick yet, there it is.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So if morality is relative and subjective, why is killing witches "wrong"?
Again, killing your own species is bad for the species, and we have evolved this notion with our other social traits. If you cannot see that killing your own is bad for the species without some mythology telling you it is, something is wrong with you, your brain in wired wrong, and your neurons are incorrectly aligned.
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are not having to defeat any religions, Don Quichote has defeated all religions long ago! Only analphabetism is slowing Atheism.
You can live in you world of hallucination, there is no problem with us. So many isms came and vanished from the face of earth while religions continued to exist.

Does any one remembers Communism? It was dreamed to be the "next world ideology" It just vanished into thin air!!

The same is the fate of this Modern Materialistic and Atheist philosophy. Its days are numbered, you can start counting from reverse now!!
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Another Hypothetical Example:

With Reference to my last post that mentioned the "Strange Visit of a Professor from Outer Space", MAULANA MAUDUDI has given another example of similar nature, I would like to share it with you.

Strange Case of Lighting System in a town:

A. The Phenomenon

01. Suppose one sees the street lights in a town working, and light bulbs and tubes working in homes as well , but the Electric Wires connecting the bulbs are "invisible" to human eyes.

02. People see the whole system working, when they flick a switch one way, the lights turn on and when they flick other way the lights go off.

But they see no wires connecting these lamps, every one is scratching his head as to how to explain this strange event.

B. Different Explanations:

03. People are divided into groups and each group is adamant that only his version is true and other' is false.

- One Group says that each lamp is created by its own individual god, and each god takes care of his portion.

- Another Group says that no, there is a "committee" of gods that created this system and they maintain it.

- And there is a Group which says that no gods created anything, it just came into existence by itself.

- And then there are some "serious looking" guys (though small in numbers) who say "There was no creation, big lamps evolved from small lamps…. And white lamps evolved from yellow ones" etc.

All these groups say different things and they are arguing and some times fighting with each other and there is complete mayhem.

C. An Eye Witness' Account

04. While they are arguing and fighting, one man comes and says:

"Dear Friends, please calm down, I have true info on this phenomenon:

"The lights in these bulbs come from a Power Station which is located far away from this city.

"There is a Big Power Plant, which is Designed by a Master Engineer and many people work there.

"There are wires which link each bulb to that powerhouse. But these wires are not visible to you people, so as to test you

"The Power Plant Owner would make you accountable for the light you are using.

"If you uses it properly, He might waive off charges against you, but those who misuse it, or break any bulb intentionally, He will make that man or woman responsible for the damage.

"And I do not seek any position or rewards from you people, I have been asked to warn each of you, so you know what is in store for you, in future"

D. Reaction from Town People

05 . Town people start laughing at the "strange story" of this man, they all "Unite" to ridicule and laugh at the suggestion of this man.

While they disagree with each other as to how the system is working, they all "Unite" in saying that this man is not telling the truth and they pose ridiculous questions like

- "How did Master Engineer Made that Plant"?

- "Who educated that Engineer",

- "How come You only went to see that Power Plant"

- "Show us the invisible wires that link these bulbs with Power Plant" Bring the Master Engineer before us so we see him etc.

5A. Town people agree that this man "before inventing this strange tale about Power Plant" never told any lie in his entire life.

He is man of impeccable honesty and has a high moral character. If he did not have this "illness", he would make an Ideal person for whole town.

(Contd.)
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

E. Long Chain of Eye Witnesses:

06. Then after some time, another honest man comes and repeats the similar story. Then there is a series of persons coming with similar story, telling that there is a Master Engineer who Own the Power Plant and He will make every one responsible for proper usage of Light that He has provided.

07. These "strange people" are separated by time and space, and they are not related to each other, but they all confirm each other and never contradict each other.

F. What is your stand?

This is the strange story of Lighting System in streets and houses of a "fictitious town". Now if some one is asked to Judge and use reason and logic, what would be his / her conclusion:

a. Are these varying and confusing stands of so many different groups that do not agree with each other are true? Or the Clear and unambiguous message of that "Sincere and Truthful man"?

b. Is it 'illogical or unreasonable" to imagine a Master Crafter that made these arrangement and that held users responsible for proper usage? Or that contradicting and varying justifications of each group?

c. While these different groups contradict each other, these honest people support each other on the Master Engineer concept. Difference of time and space do not make much change in their basic message.

d. Is it reasonable and logical to prepare oneself for accountability or just keep on using it and then "wish" that All will be OK in the end? The ones who use the light with care and honesty, will be treated same as who misuse it and / or break the lamps and bulbs at will?

e. Is the "unanimity" of different groups that "These honest people are spinning a false tail" is reasonable or justifiable or has any credibility?

Let each of us ponder on this story and provide their feedback.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't do differently ...
You just spemd your time on Topix, thinking that will change the world...
I also work for a living.....in health care. Haven't seen you hanging around anywhere.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know. My version of God is not the biblical god. An absolute god doesn't belong in a democratic society anymore than an absolute king does. Don't want what science offers either. That framework is too narrow to contain my experience. Too narrow and limited to offer any real solutions to the problems of the world. I envison myself as being part of indivisible godhead or source to which I give individual expression through the actions of my life, but for which no person or group or dogma or book can presume to speak in absolute terms.
So, you're one of the fringe cults eh?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 9,881 - 9,900 of20,787
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••