Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,228

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#10519 Jan 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Morals are an artificial construct, we choose them as a society, it's one of the benefits of social traits.
Can you ask a question that has not been address a hundred times already?
So if morality is relative and subjective, why is killing witches "wrong"?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10520 Jan 16, 2013
QuiteCrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Make one first.
I've made one irrefutable, on topic point many, many times - there is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god has ever existed.

Location hidden

#10521 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I do. As a member of human society I can and do hold that killing is morally wrong and reprehensible.
Is killing absolutely wrong?

Location hidden

#10522 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
There's more evidence for that than any magic **poof** from an invisible sky deity.
So you CAN prove abiogenesis through empiricism?

Location hidden

#10523 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they are simplistic and show a complete lack of understanding about any aspect of atheism.
Then they should be easy to deal with.

Location hidden

#10524 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it have to be one way or the other?
But, since you mentioned it, you must think belief in an invisible deity has some moral advantage? Maybe you think that if you didn't believe in a deity you would be some sort of psychotic murderer? If so, please keep your religion. Not all of us need such a crutch.
But, just for fun, please tell us all what moral code you can show originated from your religion? Just 1 moral precept you can actually show humanity would not have without your religion?
You did not answer the question.

Because you have no basis to account for right and wrong, for an atheist, it just IS...

So with that in mind, why do you even bother to have an opinion on this subject?

Location hidden

#10525 Jan 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
I've made one irrefutable, on topic point many, many times - there is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god has ever existed.
Would you define what you would deem acceptable proof?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10526 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So if morality is relative and subjective, why is killing witches "wrong"?
It is most definitely relative and based on societal ethics. Even you don't consider everything in your holy scripture to be an acceptable example of modern morals. You pick and choose which "morals" to follow based on your modern interpretation.

So why don't you lose the "high horse" attitude and move on.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10527 Jan 16, 2013
As you brought up high ground first, why don't you define high ground and then perhaps we can discuss the other strata.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you define the low ground and give a rational explanation as to why it is low ground?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10528 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you CAN prove abiogenesis through empiricism?
Don't need to. I have confidence in science in exact proportion to the amount of available verifiable evidence. Although abiogenesis has more evidence than **poof**, there are still multiple hypotheses that are dealing with the details and will need further predictive testing before anything definitive can be considered.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10529 Jan 16, 2013
Define "witch".
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is killing witches wrong?
As an atheist you have no reason to hold that moral view...

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10530 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Then they should be easy to deal with.
They are. But they are also old and have been dealt with far too many times.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10531 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not answer the question.
Because you have no basis to account for right and wrong, for an atheist, it just IS...
So with that in mind, why do you even bother to have an opinion on this subject?
You have no basis to account for right and wrong either. The Bible is loaded with immoral laws and commandments. Why do you pick and choose cafeteria style which moral edicts you will follow?

Again, show me one (1) moral precept that you can prove originated from religion. Just one.

Location hidden

#10532 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It is most definitely relative and based on societal ethics. Even you don't consider everything in your holy scripture to be an acceptable example of modern morals. You pick and choose which "morals" to follow based on your modern interpretation.
So why don't you lose the "high horse" attitude and move on.
So if you lived in a society that said killing witches was ok you would go along with that?

Location hidden

#10533 Jan 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
As you brought up high ground first, why don't you define high ground and then perhaps we can discuss the other strata.
<quoted text>
I have a basis for moral objectivity, because of my Christian worldview, how do you account for yours?

Location hidden

#10534 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't need to. I have confidence in science in exact proportion to the amount of available verifiable evidence. Although abiogenesis has more evidence than **poof**, there are still multiple hypotheses that are dealing with the details and will need further predictive testing before anything definitive can be considered.
So you cannot prove abiogenesis empirically...

So you accept it by faith?

Location hidden

#10535 Jan 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Define "witch".
<quoted text>

Do you really need that term defined?

Location hidden

#10536 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
They are. But they are also old and have been dealt with far too many times.
Then why haven't you dealt with them already?

Location hidden

#10537 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no basis to account for right and wrong either. The Bible is loaded with immoral laws and commandments. Why do you pick and choose cafeteria style which moral edicts you will follow?
Again, show me one (1) moral precept that you can prove originated from religion. Just one.
I do have a trancendentant source for absolute morality, which you do not accept.

But as we both know that you cannot supply any basis for absolute morality, why are you concerned with the concepts of right and wrong?

Location hidden

#10538 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And upon what basis do you define immorality.

You said earlier that morality is societal, upon that basis why would you condemn any moral position mentioned in the bible?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 37 min _Bad Company 200
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 1 hr Cal 38
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr thetruth 233,045
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr thetruth 2,598
Evidence for God! 1 hr thetruth 368
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 1 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr thetruth 162
More from around the web