Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10528 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you CAN prove abiogenesis through empiricism?
Don't need to. I have confidence in science in exact proportion to the amount of available verifiable evidence. Although abiogenesis has more evidence than **poof**, there are still multiple hypotheses that are dealing with the details and will need further predictive testing before anything definitive can be considered.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10529 Jan 16, 2013
Define "witch".
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is killing witches wrong?
As an atheist you have no reason to hold that moral view...

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10530 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Then they should be easy to deal with.
They are. But they are also old and have been dealt with far too many times.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10531 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not answer the question.
Because you have no basis to account for right and wrong, for an atheist, it just IS...
So with that in mind, why do you even bother to have an opinion on this subject?
You have no basis to account for right and wrong either. The Bible is loaded with immoral laws and commandments. Why do you pick and choose cafeteria style which moral edicts you will follow?

Again, show me one (1) moral precept that you can prove originated from religion. Just one.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#10532 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It is most definitely relative and based on societal ethics. Even you don't consider everything in your holy scripture to be an acceptable example of modern morals. You pick and choose which "morals" to follow based on your modern interpretation.
So why don't you lose the "high horse" attitude and move on.
So if you lived in a society that said killing witches was ok you would go along with that?

Location hidden

#10533 Jan 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
As you brought up high ground first, why don't you define high ground and then perhaps we can discuss the other strata.
<quoted text>
I have a basis for moral objectivity, because of my Christian worldview, how do you account for yours?

Location hidden

#10534 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't need to. I have confidence in science in exact proportion to the amount of available verifiable evidence. Although abiogenesis has more evidence than **poof**, there are still multiple hypotheses that are dealing with the details and will need further predictive testing before anything definitive can be considered.
So you cannot prove abiogenesis empirically...

So you accept it by faith?

Location hidden

#10535 Jan 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Define "witch".
<quoted text>

Do you really need that term defined?

Location hidden

#10536 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
They are. But they are also old and have been dealt with far too many times.
Then why haven't you dealt with them already?

Location hidden

#10537 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no basis to account for right and wrong either. The Bible is loaded with immoral laws and commandments. Why do you pick and choose cafeteria style which moral edicts you will follow?
Again, show me one (1) moral precept that you can prove originated from religion. Just one.
I do have a trancendentant source for absolute morality, which you do not accept.

But as we both know that you cannot supply any basis for absolute morality, why are you concerned with the concepts of right and wrong?

Location hidden

#10538 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And upon what basis do you define immorality.

You said earlier that morality is societal, upon that basis why would you condemn any moral position mentioned in the bible?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10539 Jan 16, 2013
I call Poe, cu*t, or both.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a basis for moral objectivity, because of my Christian worldview, how do you account for yours?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10540 Jan 16, 2013
Which?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#10541 Jan 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Which?
<quoted text>
You need to go back and re-read the posts.

Location hidden

#10542 Jan 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I call Poe, cu*t, or both.
<quoted text>
Do you have a rational response you would like to contribute?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10544 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you lived in a society that said killing witches was ok you would go along with that?
and another question....

Location hidden

#10545 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
and another question

Location hidden

#10546 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you cannot prove abiogenesis empirically...
So you accept it by faith?
and another question

Location hidden

#10547 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
and another question

...and if you go to the last page, even more questions.

If you guys haven't figured out this troll's schtick yet, there it is.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10548 Jan 16, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So if morality is relative and subjective, why is killing witches "wrong"?
Again, killing your own species is bad for the species, and we have evolved this notion with our other social traits. If you cannot see that killing your own is bad for the species without some mythology telling you it is, something is wrong with you, your brain in wired wrong, and your neurons are incorrectly aligned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 44 min replaytime 48,718
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 50 min replaytime 23,539
News In defense of faith 4 hr karl44 6
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 6 hr Uncle Sam 70
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 hr Thinking 21,881
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 9 hr Into The Night 5,705
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 13 hr Amused 3
More from around the web