Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10445 Jan 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would it be frustrating? What an odd statement.
As for being ignored by President Obama - what an even odder statement. When's the last time he called you, sunshine?
Its probably Lil Ticked or one of the other creationist posters trying their little potshots again.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10446 Jan 16, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Creation is good evidence for God: the origin of the universe ...
So your argument is that the universe was created by a god therefore a god exist. Putting "god" in the premise of the argument that is supposed to prove "god" is called the fallacy of begging the question.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
... the fine tuning and design all are best explained by God....
Isn't is amazing how well a pothole is designed so that the water fits in it just right.

Except it's not really that well designed. The Earth wobbles, the Sun flares, the overwhelmingly vast universe will kill you in a heartbeat. Even on this planet, most of the area is uninhabitable by humans. Your body itself is such a hodgepodge of poor design it's pathetic. Eyes and ears that fail us, susceptible to all manner of parasites, germs, viruses, etc. Even breathing and eating out of the same orifice guarantees that some percentage of humans will choke to death every year. etc....etc....etc.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
... This does not tell us the identity of which god i.e. "Shiva or Vishnu or Allah or Jehovah or Quetzalcoatl or any other deity". For that, something else is required. No. Have not studied them all. Only one was needed and that was Christianity. What have you studied?...
So the odds are that even if there were a deity, you've more than likely picked the wrong one. I bet you spent more time choosing which car to purchase that even beginning to consider which deity to bet your eternity on.

It's a good thing that the evidence for all of them is exactly the same -- non-existent.

So, keep your myth if it suits you. Just don't get too upset if I consider your particular myth to be just as respectable as belief in Thor.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
...Desiring an ultimate purpose is not a huge ego trip but a desire of humanity. Even those who do think there is such a thing as ultimate purpose for their lives still want some purpose even if that purpose is temporary.
I am meaningful to my wife and my family and my community. What more would anyone need?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10447 Jan 16, 2013
When will islamic Female Genital Mutilation end?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Good Morning to you also, though it would be "late night" in your time Zone.
01. You are wrong that objection to BTOE is 'Only" from religious circles. Many imminent scientists have recorded their objection to the "Over Zealous" interpretations of TOE from what it is actually.
02. Now you return to "Your own fantasy world" by calling Quran as re-hash of Biblical stories. Only some one who has not read Quran can make this childish statement.
I have written a Monograph to compare Story of Prophet Joseph as recorded in Quran and as mentioned in Chapters 37- Chapter 50 of Genesis.
Any one reading this would see how "childish" the claim that Quran copied any thing from Bible is.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13596413/
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7402349/
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7402291/
03. Quran mentions Moses, Abraham, Noah and his flood, but the details are totally different from what we find recorded in Bible.
You need to study Quran from a good translation and commentary written by Muslim Scholars not those "biased" Western Translators whose aim is to "mutilate" Quran and not translate it.
04. Truth does not change because we live in 21st Century or 1st Century. Truth always remains the truth.
So if we are living in 21st Century, means that NOTHING was happening in 4000 or 10000 years BC!!
Lincoln

United States

#10448 Jan 16, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Lincoln thinks this makes USA a Christian nation. So we should show his (delusional) beliefs respect.
Of course the evidence shows Christianity is on decline in the US, just as it is in Europe.
According to the Pew Center’s survey, more than 13 million Americans have described themselves as “atheists” or “agnostics”, which is 6% of the US public.

Are atheists agnostic in reality?
Lincoln

United States

#10449 Jan 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would it be frustrating? What an odd statement.
As for being ignored by President Obama - what an even odder statement. When's the last time he called you,
Worked on the Obama campaign

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10450 Jan 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Pew Center’s survey, more than 13 million Americans have described themselves as “atheists” or “agnostics”, which is 6% of the US public.
Are atheists agnostic in reality?
Atheism is the opposite of theism.(a-theism is literally "not-theism".) These 2 terms categorically describe 100% of the options where belief is concerned.

Agnosticism is a philosophical position concerning knowledge and says nothing about what a person's belief might be.

These words are not mutually exclusive.

One could be agnostic about deities and fell it is impossible to know for sure if any god exist. Yet this same person could still choose to believe in a particular god's existence.

.... or not.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10451 Jan 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Worked on the Obama campaign
and?

Since: Mar 11

Portage, MI

#10452 Jan 16, 2013
Others have tried, that one runs from questions as bad as Muq.
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
and?
tagit

UK

#10453 Jan 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You assume everything is created. Therefore you invoke a fallacy from the start and your point is invalid because of that.
The fact that science doesn't have a clue how a mixture of lifeless chemicals spontaneously organized themselves into the first living cell doesn't remder the idea of Intelligent Design invalid. It says scientists ignore the obvious.

The information in this post is not the product of the pixels on your PC screen but the product of my mind. If the simple act of posting information requires a mind, how could the extraordinary complexity of DNA coding happen randomly without Intelligent Design?
tagit

UK

#10454 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is the opposite of theism.(a-theism is literally "not-theism".) These 2 terms categorically describe 100% of the options where belief is concerned.
Agnosticism is a philosophical position concerning knowledge and says nothing about what a person's belief might be.
These words are not mutually exclusive.
One could be agnostic about deities and fell it is impossible to know for sure if any god exist. Yet this same person could still choose to believe in a particular god's existence.
.... or not.
If there really was no God, there would be no atheists to deny his existence.
sickofit

Hayfield, MN

#10455 Jan 16, 2013
tagit wrote:
<quoted text>
I know if there had never been anyr eligion the human race would have most sickness cured and be traveling the stars in star ships by now...Religion has held back humans so much...Sad really.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10456 Jan 16, 2013
tagit wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that science doesn't have a clue how a mixture of lifeless chemicals spontaneously organized themselves into the first living cell doesn't remder the idea of Intelligent Design invalid. It says scientists ignore the obvious.
The information in this post is not the product of the pixels on your PC screen but the product of my mind. If the simple act of posting information requires a mind, how could the extraordinary complexity of DNA coding happen randomly without Intelligent Design?
So in your mind it's either "random" or magic?

Go pick up a middle school biology book and read about biological evolution at least until you learn how ridiculous your question is.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10457 Jan 16, 2013
tagit wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't deny the existence of a myth, that would be silly.

I deny your claim that a deity exist.
Lincoln

United States

#10458 Jan 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
and?
Obama won!... except on Fox where Romney is President
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10459 Jan 16, 2013
tagit wrote:
<quoted text>
But which one? There are so many gods and so many religions to chose from.
jacktheladat1

Northampton, UK

#10460 Jan 16, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that there is plenty of evidence for God and millions believe it.
Think of the ramifications if you are right. One is that all you are is atoms in motion with not ultimate purpose.
YOU ARE getting there. Keep up your good work, who knows?
DJ Hewlet

UK

#10461 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So your argument is that the universe was created by a god therefore a god exist. Putting "god" in the premise of the argument that is supposed to prove "god" is called the fallacy of begging the question.
Excluding God doesn't disprove God therefore you cannot assume that Intelligent Design is a fallacy.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't is amazing how well a pothole is designed so that the water fits in it just right.
Except it's not really that well designed. The Earth wobbles, the Sun flares, the overwhelmingly vast universe will kill you in a heartbeat. Even on this planet, most of the area is uninhabitable by humans. Your body itself is such a hodgepodge of poor design it's pathetic. Eyes and ears that fail us, susceptible to all manner of parasites, germs, viruses, etc. Even breathing and eating out of the same orifice guarantees that some percentage of humans will choke to death every year. etc....etc....etc.
And yet even the simplest cell is fantastically complex. Even the simplest self-reproducing organism contains encyclopedic quantities of complex, SPECIFIC information. Could science do better, could you? I seriously doubt it. To deny this obvious implication of Intelligent Design is to be deliberately obtuse.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>So the odds are that even if there were a deity, you've more than likely picked the wrong one. I bet you spent more time choosing which car to purchase that even beginning to consider which deity to bet your eternity on.
It's a good thing that the evidence for all of them is exactly the same -- non-existent.
So, keep your myth if it suits you. Just don't get too upset if I consider your particular myth to be just as respectable as belief in Thor. I am meaningful to my wife and my family and my community. What more would anyone need?
The knowledge that you are much more than a biological machine. The knowledge that the trials and tribulations, the joys and triumphs of your life's experiences with family and community have a reason for happening and will not simply evaporate upon your death....burn out like a shooting star.

When you feel profoundly grateful for being miraculously and unaccountably spared from certain death, who do you thank?
DJ Hewlet

UK

#10462 Jan 16, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
But which one? There are so many gods and so many religions to chose from.
Athiests are not selective. They deny the existence of all gods.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10463 Jan 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
I have had a read of some of your docs on scribd. Your are obviously well versed in islam apologetics.

Intelligent people can believe stupid things, but are just good at finding clever reasons to excuse their beliefs.

What I think you are missing is the bigger picture. Like most muslims you view the world as Muslims v Christians and Jews. There are many many religions and gods throughout human history.

Just a selection:

Christianity - 34000 sects
Islam
Judaism
Hinduism
Jainism
Buddhism
Sikhism
Iranian religions
African folk
Chinese folk
Aborigional
Native American
Shinto
Scientology
Wicca
Pagan
Druidism

and of course

000s of ancient mythologies of Greece, Rome, Egypt, Scandanavia, Africa, etc, etc. Which were all valid religions of their time.

Just imagine an alien coming to planet earth for the first time. Islam is no different to any of these other faiths, when viewed from that bigger perspective.
DJ Hewlet

UK

#10464 Jan 16, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
I know if there had never been anyr eligion the human race would have most sickness cured and be traveling the stars in star ships by now...Religion has held back humans so much...Sad really.
What starships? What cures? Even with science at the helm the human condition persists. Man has traveled to the moon, he has a PC and an bluetooth stuck in his ear, but people still get sick and they still starve to death.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 27 min Hedonist Heretic 1,966
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 28 min Messianic114 2,049
News Distrust of the non-religious runs deep in Amer... 30 min Hedonist Heretic 112
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 56 min Regolith Based Li... 27,537
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... 1 hr Amused 65
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Dogen 58,667
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 8 hr greymouser 198
More from around the web