Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23869 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10385 Jan 15, 2013
Hopefully- but that doesn't make your belief right.
Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
We are always free to believe what we will.

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#10386 Jan 15, 2013
Wrathbone wrote:
If my beliefs create positive constructive results in my own life and in my relationships with others, that's all the evidence I need to substantiate the validity of my beliefs.
The idea that a belief in a god creates a positive social environment for one individual still leaves the existence of a real god an object of an imagination.

Certainly this has helped some in certain measure, but can also led to war, racism, exclusionism, homophobia, ethnic cleansing and all manner of ridiculous notions. All one need do is create his/her god in the image and likeness of their passion or bias.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." Lucius Annaeus Seneca.

There is nothing like taking personal responsibility for one's beliefs.

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Location hidden

#10387 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
God does not exist. Some here may realise at least that bitter truth. So the conclusion has to be drawn, which is no sweet one.
This is correct, there is no god. But if there is a god, it had nothing to do with our existence, nothing to do with creation and could care less what we think of it.

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Location hidden

#10388 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
"Very sorry, but there is no such a thing like God."
Take it from Henry,
all wise ,
all knowing,
a legend in His own mind?
Sorry Henry,
we mortals may need more that your word :-)
Why do you need a god? Why do you need your particular god, when most of the planet believes in other gods? Any idea?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10389 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
"Very sorry, but there is no such a thing like God."
Take it from Henry,
all wise ,
all knowing,
a legend in His own mind?
Sorry Henry,
we mortals may need more that your word :-)
Ironic, considering you believe in a god without any proof it its existence whatsover...
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10390 Jan 15, 2013
Ozada wrote:
<quoted text>
This is correct, there is no god. But if there is a god, it had nothing to do with our existence, nothing to do with creation and could care less what we think of it.
How would you know this?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10391 Jan 15, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you know this?
Existence of evil and suffering, world wars etc, rules out the existence of a personal God.

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Location hidden

#10392 Jan 15, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you know this?
The lack of any evidence to the contrary.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10393 Jan 15, 2013
Ozada wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that there is plenty of evidence for God and millions believe it.
Think of the ramifications if you are right. One is that all you are is atoms in motion with not ultimate purpose.
rio

Bromley, UK

#10394 Jan 15, 2013
Ozada wrote:
<quoted text>
Also known as a wild guess ...

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10395 Jan 15, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that there is plenty of evidence for God and millions believe it.
Ah, but which one. The "evidence" as you put it is equally valid for Shiva or Vishnu or Allah or Jehovah or Quetzalcoatl or any other deity you care to dream up.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Think of the ramifications if you are right.
Think of the ramifications if you pick the wrong one? You have studied them all haven't you?
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
One is that all you are is atoms in motion with not ultimate purpose.
You think you have some "ultimate purpose"? That's one huge ego you've got there!

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Location hidden

#10396 Jan 15, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Think of the ramifications if you are right. One is that all you are is atoms in motion with not ultimate purpose.
There is no evidence for god.

Millions believe all sorts of things. At one time millions believed the earth was flat.

If we have a purpose, what is it?
-Is our purpose to kill one another in god's name?
-Is it our purpose to hate one another in god's name?

If there is a purpose and we don't know what it is, why do we insist we have a purpose?

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#10397 Jan 15, 2013
Hey you proclaimed yourself part of the godhead and said you had real solutions to fix the world that didn't require science! Hurry up loon share some of your world fixing solutions that your god hood has bestowed upon you!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
That is your belief, not mine. We are always free to believe what we will.
Your acceptance or that of science or any other institution for that matter is not necessary to verify my beliefs. It is enough that I know. If my beliefs create positive constructive results in my own life and in my relationships with others, that's all the evidence I need to substantiate the validity of my beliefs.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#10398 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Very sorry, I told you this x-times: no god was ever existing! This is the reality and all religions are nothing than phantasm perhaps in the interests of the mighty and rich ones. Thats right I will tell this further x-times, because it is the only truth!
You may repeat your belief as many times as you wish, but it will not change the reality that not everybody accepts your belief as true.
rio

Bromley, UK

#10399 Jan 15, 2013
Ozada wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no evidence for god.
Absolutely true, but that goes both way.
There is no evidence of absence of god either.
Lincoln

United States

#10400 Jan 15, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironic, considering you believe in a god without any proof it its existence whatsover...
Enjoy funny atheist posts.:-)
So scientific, so earnest and so amusing.

"Rear Window" is Not out yet
on blu ray,
bummer!

Location hidden

#10401 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Hey you proclaimed yourself part of the godhead and said you had real solutions to fix the world that didn't require science! Hurry up loon share some of your world fixing solutions that your god hood has bestowed upon you!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
<quoted text>
I said God is individualized in me and in all things. If we are co-creators with God endowed with the same abilities to fix things, why would we need an overseer to do it for us?
Lincoln

United States

#10402 Jan 15, 2013
Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
You may repeat your belief as many times as you wish, but it will not change the reality that not everybody accepts your belief as true.
alas may be valid but boring You read any interesting books you may suggest or devote your life to typing?

Location hidden

#10403 Jan 15, 2013
Ozada wrote:
<quoted text>
The idea that a belief in a god creates a positive social environment for one individual still leaves the existence of a real god an object of an imagination.
Certainly this has helped some in certain measure, but can also led to war, racism, exclusionism, homophobia, ethnic cleansing and all manner of ridiculous notions. All one need do is create his/her god in the image and likeness of their passion or bias.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." Lucius Annaeus Seneca.
There is nothing like taking personal responsibility for one's beliefs.
When every person refuses to go to war, we will have peace. As long as we fight for gain and greed, there will be no peace. As long as one person commits acts of violence for the sake of peace, we will have war. As co-creators with God, we create the reality we experience.

Violence breeds violence regardless of the justification. There is no man who hates but that hatred is reflected outward and made physical. And there is no man who loves but that love is reflected outward and made physical. We have choices.

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Location hidden

#10404 Jan 15, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely true, but that goes both way.
There is no evidence of absence of god either.
There is no absolute evidence for the absence of anything!

There is no absolute evidence there are no heffalumps or flying horses either.

Some things just are extremely unlikely.....sorta like finding an intelligent christian, when I find one he'll be riding a Unicorn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 36 min Chimney1 35,082
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 42 min Rosa_Winkel 20,096
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Richardfs 14,940
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 6 hr emperorjohn 139
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 6 hr Reason Personified 156
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr superwilly 3,710
There are no such things as gods or fairies 15 hr Amused 102
More from around the web