Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 20 comments on the Apr 25, 2012, Psychology Today story titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#10376 Jan 15, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct with your information.
My comment was based on the responses on this forum - where I find very little (if indeed any) sign of conversation where facts are presented in support of argument - yours is an exception.
I always welcome proper argument which challenges beliefs previously held. If one sticks to a point just because one wants to believe it, it is a bit silly. Without trying to sound arrogant, I have yet to come across any argument that disproves any of the central doctrines of the Christian faith - or even that which is stated in the Bible as fact.
There may be arguments (such as the one raised earlier about contradictions in respect of works and grace) which is based on superficial understanding of the text and the context.
I have come to the conclusion (perhaps incorrectly so) that atheists "believe" in atheism without sound argument, but often as a result of "losing faith" in Christ-ianity. This is so sad and I do not know how a person that does not study the Bible is able to discern truth from lies offered from the pulpit of many "Christian" churches.
But one thing I know - God loves his people and will not let any of them go astray. Consider the guy on the cross next to Jesus - saved within the last hours of his life.
Very sorry, but there is no such a thing like god. Not the religion have any public existence but the atheism is realistic. Educated ones are more and more come to the conclusion that religions are fakes in the interests of a small minority.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10377 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So you are a self proclaimed deity?
:psssst I will keep him talking you go draw up the tranquilizers and call in the men in the white coats:
So do tell us godhead member? What are your solutions for humanity?
Effing loony toon....
<quoted text>
Very good. Topix is a magnet for self proclaimed looney tunes and mouthpieces for God/Allah.
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#10378 Jan 15, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't do differently ...
You just spemd your time on Topix, thinking that will change the world...
Of course Topix will not change the world, but one has to hammer the world in: the world of capitalism will in no way further a coming world.
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#10379 Jan 15, 2013
Wrathbone wrote:
None are so blind as he who will not see. God need not work miracles to convince atheists. Even adversity teaches. He leaves them to live their error knowing they must walk the path of their choice. His ordinary works are self evident to those who can see with the eyes of their souls.
God does not exist. Some here may realise at least that bitter truth. So the conclusion has to be drawn, which is no sweet one.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#10380 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
God does not exist. Some here may realise at least that bitter truth. So the conclusion has to be drawn, which is no sweet one.
That is your belief, not mine. We are always free to believe what we will.

Your acceptance or that of science or any other institution for that matter is not necessary to verify my beliefs. It is enough that I know. If my beliefs create positive constructive results in my own life and in my relationships with others, that's all the evidence I need to substantiate the validity of my beliefs.
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#10381 Jan 15, 2013
Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
Men have created gods in their own image for centuries....superhuman versions of themselves...one dimensional concepts based upon man's limited knowledge of his own psychology. The biblical god is a human construct and no different than other gods that have come and gone.
As mankind grows in knowledge, his god constructs tend to change in keeping with the times. While a majority of people say they believe in God, they describe God as an undefinable force field or source of inconceivable power or something greater than themselves but not as a supreme being. They no longer see an old white haired father-god image with a flowing beard meteing out reward and punishment.
Very sorry, I told you this x-times: no god was ever existing! This is the reality and all religions are nothing than phantasm perhaps in the interests of the mighty and rich ones. Thats right I will tell this further x-times, because it is the only truth!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#10382 Jan 15, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in our lifetimes. I see Muslim women round here dressed in burkas trailing behind their husbands. They seemingly have not moved on from the 7th century. Such sexist attitudes are so ingrained I guess it will take a very long time to change.
In the nuclear age mankind has little time for religious garbage!
jacktheladat1

Plymouth, UK

#10383 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
In the nuclear age mankind has little time for religious garbage!
Why cite the Nuclear Age? Why not review your comment to read "Mankind has little time for religious garbage when applying fundamental logic to the issue." A few more words to type, but aye, who is counting?
Lincoln

United States

#10384 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Very sorry, but there is no such a thing like God. Not the religion have any public existence but the atheism is realistic. Educated ones are more and more come to the conclusion that religions are fakes in the interests of a small minority.
"Very sorry, but there is no such a thing like God."

Take it from Henry,
all wise ,
all knowing,
a legend in His own mind?

Sorry Henry,
we mortals may need more that your word :-)
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10385 Jan 15, 2013
Hopefully- but that doesn't make your belief right.
Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
We are always free to believe what we will.

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#10386 Jan 15, 2013
Wrathbone wrote:
If my beliefs create positive constructive results in my own life and in my relationships with others, that's all the evidence I need to substantiate the validity of my beliefs.
The idea that a belief in a god creates a positive social environment for one individual still leaves the existence of a real god an object of an imagination.

Certainly this has helped some in certain measure, but can also led to war, racism, exclusionism, homophobia, ethnic cleansing and all manner of ridiculous notions. All one need do is create his/her god in the image and likeness of their passion or bias.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." Lucius Annaeus Seneca.

There is nothing like taking personal responsibility for one's beliefs.

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Location hidden

#10387 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
This is correct, there is no god. But if there is a god, it had nothing to do with our existence, nothing to do with creation and could care less what we think of it.

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Location hidden

#10388 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Take it from Henry,
all wise ,
all knowing,
Sorry Henry,
Why do you need a god? Why do you need your particular god, when most of the planet believes in other gods? Any idea?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10389 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Take it from Henry,
all wise ,
all knowing,
Sorry Henry,
Ironic, considering you believe in a god without any proof it its existence whatsover...
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10390 Jan 15, 2013
Ozada wrote:
<quoted text>
This is correct, there is no god. But if there is a god, it had nothing to do with our existence, nothing to do with creation and could care less what we think of it.
How would you know this?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10391 Jan 15, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you know this?
Existence of evil and suffering, world wars etc, rules out the existence of a personal God.

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Location hidden

#10392 Jan 15, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you know this?
The lack of any evidence to the contrary.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10393 Jan 15, 2013
Ozada wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that there is plenty of evidence for God and millions believe it.
Think of the ramifications if you are right. One is that all you are is atoms in motion with not ultimate purpose.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#10394 Jan 15, 2013
Ozada wrote:
<quoted text>
Also known as a wild guess ...

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10395 Jan 15, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that there is plenty of evidence for God and millions believe it.
Ah, but which one. The "evidence" as you put it is equally valid for Shiva or Vishnu or Allah or Jehovah or Quetzalcoatl or any other deity you care to dream up.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Think of the ramifications if you are right.
Think of the ramifications if you pick the wrong one? You have studied them all haven't you?
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
One is that all you are is atoms in motion with not ultimate purpose.
You think you have some "ultimate purpose"? That's one huge ego you've got there!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min Uncle Sam 238,217
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 3 hr Freebird USA 9,341
News Confessions of a black atheist 3 hr audy17 417
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 4 hr Thinking 6,108
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Thinking 2,064
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 hr Denisova 18,697
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 12 hr prophecydotorg 7,408
More from around the web