Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24083 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#10365 Jan 15, 2013
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
rio/ronan is quite a fan of sharia,he refers to the Taliban as "freedom fighters" and states it is there "right" to murder 15 yr old girls who want an education.
That is the kind of US is ruling the most war like western country!
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#10366 Jan 15, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>So any dogma, any god, huh? Just pick ourselves a god, or make one up, just as long as we have chosen something to use against you, and to condemn you with, right?
Ok, my new atheist god is Reason, no other god can stand against it. That leaves you with just one problem .... newborns. As long as they have not yet chosen a god, they are the atheists. They are your society poison now.
No, not the atheists are the poison, the antiquated capitalist systems. Without it a horrendous third war may devaste humanity.
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#10367 Jan 15, 2013
Thinking wrote:
There is a lot of crazy sharia crap already being put in place in by Karzai's government in Afghanistan. Doesn't look great for women's rights.
<quoted text>
Half of the woman population are suppressed in the capitalist world. They have no freedom! Religions are a big handicap and should get prohibited in the public. Religion may stay in the private not as a public ressort.
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#10368 Jan 15, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't do differently ...
You just spemd your time on Topix, thinking that will change the world...
Of course Topix will not change the world, that is true, but to do nothing is not the solution either!
Lincoln

United States

#10369 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Half of the woman population are suppressed in the capitalist world. They have no freedom! Religions are a big handicap and should get prohibited in the public. Religion may stay in the private not as a public ressort.
In the communist countries like East Germany women were shot for trying to leave atheist East Germany.

"Suppressed" is wrong but at least you are alive.

Point !
Henry

Altengottern, Germany

#10370 Jan 15, 2013
Wrathbone wrote:
None are so blind as he who will not see. God need not work miracles to convince atheists. Even adversity teaches. He leaves them to live their error knowing they must walk the path of their choice. His ordinary works are self evident to those who can see with the eyes of their souls.
There was no god and there will never be one. Only a different world may garantee a survival of our world! Without reality we will perish!

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#10371 Jan 15, 2013
Muq runs and hides from questions like this. He jut flat refuses to answer them and says you are being ridiculous.
Thinking wrote:
When will islamic Female Genital Mutilation stop?
<quoted text>

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#10372 Jan 15, 2013
Ozada wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting! So you have created god in you own image.
In North America there are roughly 38,000 different churches, cults etc. that believe more or less in the christian god. Apparently there is only one god so someone has it wrong.
Weird huh?
Men have created gods in their own image for centuries....superhuman versions of themselves...one dimensional concepts based upon man's limited knowledge of his own psychology. The biblical god is a human construct and no different than other gods that have come and gone.

As mankind grows in knowledge, his god constructs tend to change in keeping with the times. While a majority of people say they believe in God, they describe God as an undefinable force field or source of inconceivable power or something greater than themselves but not as a supreme being. They no longer see an old white haired father-god image with a flowing beard meteing out reward and punishment.
Henry

Lugau, Germany

#10373 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So you are a self proclaimed deity?
:psssst I will keep him talking you go draw up the tranquilizers and call in the men in the white coats:
So do tell us godhead member? What are your solutions for humanity?
Effing loony toon....
<quoted text>
In the nuclear age we have to end capitalism very soon, very quick to survive as a human race.
sickofit

Hayfield, MN

#10374 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
In the nuclear age we have to end capitalism very soon, very quick to survive as a human race.
that is true....We need a society like in Star Trek...Where evryone works to better themself and help humanity..........where greed and money and class is gone.

Location hidden

#10375 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
:psssst I will keep him talking you go draw up the tranquilizers and call in the men in the white coats:
Effing loony toon....
<quoted text>
Since I believe that God exists within all things and not apart from creation, he is individualized in each of us, in all things. We are chips off the old block so to speak, co-creators with God, endowed with the same abilities that then act as inspiration, impetus, guiding lines and principles, by which we seek to further create ourselves, our worlds and systems of beliefs.

As for solutions regarding the human condition....that is entirely up to us and our desire to create more sane and just societies in which to live.
Henry

Lugau, Germany

#10376 Jan 15, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct with your information.
My comment was based on the responses on this forum - where I find very little (if indeed any) sign of conversation where facts are presented in support of argument - yours is an exception.
I always welcome proper argument which challenges beliefs previously held. If one sticks to a point just because one wants to believe it, it is a bit silly. Without trying to sound arrogant, I have yet to come across any argument that disproves any of the central doctrines of the Christian faith - or even that which is stated in the Bible as fact.
There may be arguments (such as the one raised earlier about contradictions in respect of works and grace) which is based on superficial understanding of the text and the context.
I have come to the conclusion (perhaps incorrectly so) that atheists "believe" in atheism without sound argument, but often as a result of "losing faith" in Christ-ianity. This is so sad and I do not know how a person that does not study the Bible is able to discern truth from lies offered from the pulpit of many "Christian" churches.
But one thing I know - God loves his people and will not let any of them go astray. Consider the guy on the cross next to Jesus - saved within the last hours of his life.
Very sorry, but there is no such a thing like god. Not the religion have any public existence but the atheism is realistic. Educated ones are more and more come to the conclusion that religions are fakes in the interests of a small minority.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10377 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Effing loony toon....
<quoted text>
Very good. Topix is a magnet for self proclaimed looney tunes and mouthpieces for God/Allah.
Henry

Lugau, Germany

#10378 Jan 15, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't do differently ...
You just spemd your time on Topix, thinking that will change the world...
Of course Topix will not change the world, but one has to hammer the world in: the world of capitalism will in no way further a coming world.
Henry

Lugau, Germany

#10379 Jan 15, 2013
Wrathbone wrote:
None are so blind as he who will not see. God need not work miracles to convince atheists. Even adversity teaches. He leaves them to live their error knowing they must walk the path of their choice. His ordinary works are self evident to those who can see with the eyes of their souls.
God does not exist. Some here may realise at least that bitter truth. So the conclusion has to be drawn, which is no sweet one.

Location hidden

#10380 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
God does not exist. Some here may realise at least that bitter truth. So the conclusion has to be drawn, which is no sweet one.
That is your belief, not mine. We are always free to believe what we will.

Your acceptance or that of science or any other institution for that matter is not necessary to verify my beliefs. It is enough that I know. If my beliefs create positive constructive results in my own life and in my relationships with others, that's all the evidence I need to substantiate the validity of my beliefs.
Henry

Lugau, Germany

#10381 Jan 15, 2013
Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
Men have created gods in their own image for centuries....superhuman versions of themselves...one dimensional concepts based upon man's limited knowledge of his own psychology. The biblical god is a human construct and no different than other gods that have come and gone.
As mankind grows in knowledge, his god constructs tend to change in keeping with the times. While a majority of people say they believe in God, they describe God as an undefinable force field or source of inconceivable power or something greater than themselves but not as a supreme being. They no longer see an old white haired father-god image with a flowing beard meteing out reward and punishment.
Very sorry, I told you this x-times: no god was ever existing! This is the reality and all religions are nothing than phantasm perhaps in the interests of the mighty and rich ones. Thats right I will tell this further x-times, because it is the only truth!
Henry

Lugau, Germany

#10382 Jan 15, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in our lifetimes. I see Muslim women round here dressed in burkas trailing behind their husbands. They seemingly have not moved on from the 7th century. Such sexist attitudes are so ingrained I guess it will take a very long time to change.
In the nuclear age mankind has little time for religious garbage!
jacktheladat1

Northampton, UK

#10383 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
In the nuclear age mankind has little time for religious garbage!
Why cite the Nuclear Age? Why not review your comment to read "Mankind has little time for religious garbage when applying fundamental logic to the issue." A few more words to type, but aye, who is counting?
Lincoln

United States

#10384 Jan 15, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Very sorry, but there is no such a thing like God. Not the religion have any public existence but the atheism is realistic. Educated ones are more and more come to the conclusion that religions are fakes in the interests of a small minority.
"Very sorry, but there is no such a thing like God."

Take it from Henry,
all wise ,
all knowing,
a legend in His own mind?

Sorry Henry,
we mortals may need more that your word :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 40 min Rosa_Winkel 16,535
Good arguments against Christianity 48 min Richardfs 128
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Chimney1 40,886
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 1 hr Richardfs 5,606
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr IB DaMann 256,135
News Atheism Destroyed with One Scientific Question 7 hr ATHEOI 16
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 10 hr ChristineM 282
More from around the web