Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10280 Jan 13, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You can deny it as much as you want; atheism fanatics are just as dangerous as religious fanatics.
The best explanation you can find is to look at the society in USSR under Stalin, China under Mao and Cambodia under pol pot, where atheism was in control of society.
Atheists in power are just as dangerous as religionists in power.
End of story.
A balanced society, one that is happy with itself, is one where different beliefs cohabit with atheism too.
The rethoric of most atheists, including on this forum, and even you, is that they would like to eradicate religion.
Atheists are aggressive, they think they are morally superior. Their aim is not to keep their philosophy to themselves, but to destroy religion, and given a chance, to persecute believers.
This is why I say that atheist fanaticism is just as dangerous as religious zeal.
I repeat, Atheism is a lack of belief in god. Can you point out where the intolerance part is in this definition?

You can't because you're a liar, lying about atheism. Fact.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10281 Jan 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on the atheist.
Different atheists. different beliefs. There is no atheist Pope :-)
Can You tolerate other opinions?
Hypocrite, this point disproves your false generalisation that all atheists are dangerous.

You fail, keep your ignorant opinions to yourself.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#10282 Jan 13, 2013
rio wrote:
End of story.
In other words, secular societies are the way forward.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#10284 Jan 13, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So you copied and pasted a whole slew of apologetic arguments used logical fallacies like strawman, bandwagon,appeal to authority, and AD Hom. You try to purposely twist and change definitions to fit your liking.
Hey here's a better idea, tell us why anyone should accept god as anything more than a figment of someone's imagination?
Oh and seriously did you think those scriptures are good for anything other than laughing at the idiots who made it up? Better yet start off with why anyone should care about what the bible says?
<quoted text>
I will respond to your posts if they contain any indication of logical argument. Thus far it has shone by its absence. You are welcome to study why Antony Flew, The World's Most Notorious (ex)Atheist came to the conclusion that there is a god. But then, he was not intelligent to start with. OH no!! being an atheist, he must have been. So..... confusion reigns my friend and you know it.
rio

UK

#10285 Jan 13, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not cite Sweden or Japan or other modern secular societies where atheists are the majority? Wouldn't fit in with your bigoted straw man argument now would it?
It is not obvious that atheism is in majority in Sweden. Have you been there? Many people still attend the Lutheran church, for example.

Plus, the atheists there haven seized power with the intention of eradicating religion. Sweden is a liberal society.
rio

UK

#10286 Jan 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on the atheist.
Different atheists. different beliefs. There is no atheist Pope :-)
Can You tolerate other opinions?
Atheists are ok when they are in a minority, but dangerous when they reach power in a society.

Could you imagine the US with 200 millions of KittenKoders? That would be a dictature of atheists, and they would persecute, discriminate and kill any sort of believers!!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10287 Jan 13, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You can deny it as much as you want; atheism fanatics are just as dangerous as religious fanatics.
The best explanation you can find is to look at the society in USSR under Stalin, China under Mao and Cambodia under pol pot, where atheism was in control of society.
End of story.
A balanced society, one that is happy with itself, is one where different beliefs cohabit with atheism too.
The rethoric of most atheists, including on this forum, and even you, is that they would like to eradicate religion.
Atheists are aggressive, they think they are morally superior. Their aim is not to keep their philosophy to themselves, but to destroy religion, and given a chance, to persecute believers.
This is why I say that atheist fanaticism is just as dangerous as religious zeal.
Fanatics megalomaniacs, psychopaths, sociopaths, etc. are ALL dangerous.

This has nothing to do with atheism or theism.

The rest of your rant is nothing but straw man fallacy that only shows how much you hate what you don't understand.
rio

UK

#10288 Jan 13, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Fanatics megalomaniacs, psychopaths, sociopaths, etc. are ALL dangerous.
This has nothing to do with atheism or theism.
The rest of your rant is nothing but straw man fallacy that only shows how much you hate what you don't understand.
Hate? never.

I am just very warry of fanatics, which ever side they come from, theism or atheism. Any belief of doctrine pushed to its paroxism is dangerous.

I think a lot of Western "atheists" should have visited the Soviet Union 3 or 4 decades ago and seen with their own eyes what can be done in the name of atheism!

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#10289 Jan 13, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate? never.
I am just very warry of fanatics, which ever side they come from, theism or atheism. Any belief of doctrine pushed to its paroxism is dangerous.
I think a lot of Western "atheists" should have visited the Soviet Union 3 or 4 decades ago and seen with their own eyes what can be done in the name of atheism!
bullshit!

you refer to the Taliban as "freedom fighters",you don,t think they are fanatics?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10290 Jan 13, 2013
If only you knew of an all powerful god that could stop sunni and shiite blowing each other up. They are "dumb people" in any class room. They have no imagination.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
I got four replies on my "Painting Analogy", here I Post a common reply to those:
01. Thinking:
For him, the idea of God killing people by hitting them with trains is itself ridicules. These are "dumb people" in any class room. They have no imagination.
And in fact people dieing and making room for others is also a "mercy" from God..
02. GM:
He tried to sound Wise by making a sort of wise crack on the post. Such people are what we used to call as "court jesters". They would not take any issue seriously.
03. KK:
He / She (I do not know if the avatar posted on thread is real or to mislead the people) tries to prove that "Group A" were very wise.
The "reason" why painting was left in the street was that people should search and come to meet the Master Painter … but these wise guys got so much engrossed in analyzing the painting that they forgot the main purpose.
It is like some one called to King's banquet and when reaches there is "busy" in looking at the artworks, statues, furnishing….etc. that he "has no time: to look at the King standing next to him and looking at him!!
These "wise people" got so much info about painting but so little about the Master Painter….so much so that they even started saying "No Master Painter made it, it just came here by chance!!
04. RP
I told many times that people choose names to get over with the "difficult part". What they write has no connection to their names. And the answer justifies my claim.
I clarified that "Wise Group" got to know so much about the painting that they had "No time" for the "master painter", while the "Dumb Group" came near to the Master Painter and fulfilled the "purpose" for which the painting was left in the street.
The Painter did not want people to not give any attention to the painting, but the intent was "not to get so much engrossed in the painting that to forget the Master Painter"!!
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10291 Jan 13, 2013
taqiyya is a muslim's way of life.
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You lie like its a hobby.
rio

UK

#10292 Jan 13, 2013
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
bullshit!
you refer to the Taliban as "freedom fighters",you don,t think they are fanatics?
No.
They defend their conutry from a foreign invasion.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10293 Jan 13, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are ok when they are in a minority, but dangerous when they reach power in a society.
Could you imagine the US with 200 millions of KittenKoders? That would be a dictature of atheists, and they would persecute, discriminate and kill any sort of believers!!
Drama queen.

Location hidden

#10294 Jan 13, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate? never.
Yawn...it wasn't done in the name of atheism, it was done in the name of communism.

Honestly, you're making yourself look ridiculous.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#10295 Jan 13, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
They also try to kill 14-year-old girls for wanting an education.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#10296 Jan 13, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
there you have it,RIO thinks that men who attempt to murder a 15 yr old schoolgirl for wanting to get an education are NOT "fanatics"

strange ideas on fanatics indeed.
rio

UK

#10297 Jan 13, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn...it wasn't done in the name of atheism, it was done in the name of communism.
Communism is only an atheist get-together under a marxist banner, old boy!

We have been there (some of us) and bought the T-shirt...
rio

UK

#10298 Jan 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
They also try to kill 14-year-old girls for wanting an education.
As bad as it is, what they do in their country isn't our business.

You wouldn't like it if any country proposed to invade the US to stop the mass shooting happening in your schools, would you?

It's the pot calling the kettle black, eh?

Every country has its fanatics, and that gives no one an excuse to attack it. Well, unless you live in the White House that is. Then, you can even ignore the UN and pursue an aggressive foreign policy, of course.
rio

UK

#10299 Jan 13, 2013
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
there you have it,RIO thinks that men who attempt to murder a 15 yr old schoolgirl for wanting to get an education are NOT "fanatics"
strange ideas on fanatics indeed.
They are fanatic in the defense of their country mostly, and the maintainance of their culture and traditions.

You have a problem with that?

You are a fanatic against Muslims!

Location hidden

#10300 Jan 13, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Communism is only an atheist get-together under a marxist banner, old boy!
We have been there (some of us) and bought the T-shirt...
No, its really not. You know, there are entire libraries of books you could read to educate yourself. Good luck with that...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There are no such things as gods or fairies 12 min Amused 186
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 20 min Amused 20,237
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 38 min Paul WV-Uncle Sam 282
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 51 min Amused 423
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Aura Mytha 45,439
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Thinking 10,331
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 10 hr Big girl 539
More from around the web