Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,043

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
whatever

Warner Robins, GA

#10200 Jan 9, 2013
jacktheladat1 wrote:
<quoted text>FACT - Fact and the Bible are contradictory in terms. Fact.
agreed. Jesus is lord!!! The simple reason people choose to be atheist is because I believe is just the easy way out for them. So they don't have to deal with quilt of knowing somethings wrong when they do it. They want to be gay, well, its easy when you have no morals or beliefs but yet deep down inside they know its not right!!!!!!!!!! Same with any other wrong aspect of someones life.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10202 Jan 9, 2013
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>agreed. Jesus is lord!!! The simple reason people choose to be atheist is because I believe is just the easy way out for them. So they don't have to deal with quilt of knowing somethings wrong when they do it. They want to be gay, well, its easy when you have no morals or beliefs but yet deep down inside they know its not right!!!!!!!!!! Same with any other wrong aspect of someones life.
So the only reason you act morally at all is because of the carrot and stick of heaven and hell.

PLEASE keep your religion!
jacktheladat1

Plymouth, UK

#10203 Jan 9, 2013
It really is eye watering to even think what my fellow 'man' can succumb to believe. Guilt for being something as natural to him (fellow man) gay. Do people of our higher species STILL think that one's sexuality is taught? It's mind boggling, really is. WHERE do morals enter the picture re one's NATURAL sexuality? I'm NOT gay, but I DO live AND LET LIVE. I DO NOT need any book of fairy tales to point me in THAT direction. Some really should GET A LIFE, we're not performing a dress rehearsal.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#10204 Jan 9, 2013
As an atheist, having a Christian threaten me with hell is like a hippy threatening to punch me in my aura -- Josh Thomas
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#10205 Jan 9, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
As an atheist, having a Christian threaten me with hell is like a hippy threatening to punch me in my aura -- Josh Thomas
If you are standing in the path of a train that is coming your way and have closed your eyes shut....should no one warn you that you are going to be hit by the speeding train?!!

Any one doing that would be your enemy or your well wisher?

Just because you "presume" you are an atheist, would Creator seize to exist for you? Would you escape death because you are an atheist?

Would you be exempt from resurrection just because "You did not believe in it"?

Why are you taking such a gamble with your life?

Your name is such an opposite of what you post!!

Earth,TX

#10206 Jan 9, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are standing in the path of a train that is coming your way and have closed your eyes shut....should no one warn you that you are going to be hit by the speeding train?!!
Just because you "presume" you are an atheist, would Creator seize to exist for you? Would you escape death because you are an atheist?
Well you are not going to believe this, but trains actually have proof that they exist. I'll bet even you have seen one, and signs too, that say "railroad crossing" and train tracks and stations, and conductors. To equate your god to a train does not work, all the accoutrements* are there, but the train itself has yet to roll on any track. The god/train doesn't exist.

*Train station/church/temple, conductor/spell caster witch doctor, tracks/holy books

Should I fear for the safety of my aura too?

Since: Mar 11

United States

#10207 Jan 9, 2013
But trains are not just figments of people's imagination. I can just as easily use your example that a person won't leave his bedroom to go to work because he is deluded into thinking the hallway in his house is a bustling train track with trains ready to run him over. This delusion causes him to lose his job and not reach his full potential.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
DJ Hewlet

UK

#10208 Jan 9, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Well you are not going to believe this, but trains actually have proof that they exist. I'll bet even you have seen one, and signs too, that say "railroad crossing" and train tracks and stations, and conductors. To equate your god to a train does not work, all the accoutrements* are there, but the train itself has yet to roll on any track. The god/train doesn't exist.
*Train station/church/temple, conductor/spell caster witch doctor, tracks/holy books
Should I fear for the safety of my aura too?
Atheism is a cult. It hasn't attracted enough people to make a minority and that isn't going to change. Atheism has no philosophy, nothing of any particular value to offer. The self centered hedonism of scientifically fueled secular belief is turning our society into a polluted stinking technological ghetto. If you think people haven't noticed, you're fooling yourself.

Earth,TX

#10209 Jan 9, 2013
DJ Hewlet wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a cult. It hasn't attracted enough people to make a minority and that isn't going to change. Atheism has no philosophy, nothing of any particular value to offer. The self centered hedonism of scientifically fueled secular belief is turning our society into a polluted stinking technological ghetto. If you think people haven't noticed, you're fooling yourself.
Atheism isn't an "ism", atheism is the lack of an "ism".

Any religion would incorporate some type of "ism", and a cult would consist of more than one member, who actually had met the other member, and they would be following some charismatic and mentally throwed off leader's vision of how the world should be according to him.

Looking at atheist or atheism, you will not find any of these qualifiers, in just being those two things, but you can find them in almost any religious sect of any religion in the world. In fact you can't walk through a group of twelve Christains without running into it at least seven times.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10210 Jan 10, 2013
If only you knew of an all powerful god that could stop people being killed by trains.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10211 Jan 10, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends what you mean by the train. If you mean superstition, the person who warned me to avoid superstition would be a well wisher.

Remember that mankind has invented 000s of gods. According to one source in the past 10000 years man has invented 10000 religions and 1000 gods. This shows that human beings are very superstitious creatures.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10212 Jan 10, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Buying into one particular sect of one particular religion is taking a risk with your life. Millions waste their lives thinking and worrying about made up things.

I for one, would not want to be sitting in Jannah underneath palm trees with 72 virgins, whilst my billions of people are being burnt alive in hell. That is an absurd and cruel mythology.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10213 Jan 10, 2013
DJ Hewlet wrote:
<quoted text>
How does a cult form around the absence of a single belief?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10214 Jan 10, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason you are a muslim is cause you live in a muslim country. If you lived where I live in a town with a bunch of churches and no mosque, you would almost certinly not be a muslim.
DJ Hewlet

UK

#10215 Jan 10, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
How does a cult form around the absence of a single belief?
Disbelief is a belief. The opposite of belief is not a lack of belief but an undecided or unreached conclusion. Proof? Atheists spend an exorbitant amount of time on discussion boards like this defending their belief in disbelief.

The lack of belief in something represents nothing. You wouldn't be aware of it so you would have no claim to knowledge and no opinions. The primitive Yanomami tribe in Brazil lack a belief in the christian God. They never heard of this god and know nothing about it. They have no knowledge of this God. Athiests, on the other hand, are well aware of Christianity and openly reject its theology. They disbelieve.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10216 Jan 10, 2013
DJ Hewlet wrote:
<quoted text>
Disbelief is a belief. The opposite of belief is not a lack of belief but an undecided or unreached conclusion. Proof? Atheists spend an exorbitant amount of time on discussion boards like this defending their belief in disbelief.
The lack of belief in something represents nothing. You wouldn't be aware of it so you would have no claim to knowledge and no opinions. The primitive Yanomami tribe in Brazil lack a belief in the christian God. They never heard of this god and know nothing about it. They have no knowledge of this God. Athiests, on the other hand, are well aware of Christianity and openly reject its theology. They disbelieve.
LOL...no.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10217 Jan 10, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
And what if someone insists there is a train even though you have your eyes open, see no train, here no sound and there are no train tracks? They insist that there is a train coming and you have to get out of the way. What would you say in *this* case? That they were well-meaning, but wrong. if they kept insisting there was a train coming, even after a great deal of time, you would consider them to be crazy.
And that is how we see you: probably well-meaning, but so wrong as to be considered out of touch with reality.
I assume you mean 'cease' instead of 'seize'.*IF* you are correct, atheism would not be a cure. But why should we think you are correct?
because I consider the odds to be so against your scenario that the gamble is minimal. And that's not to mention all the *other* possible scenarios that you don't mention.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10218 Jan 10, 2013
DJ Hewlet wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we lack the belief. Twist the facts all you want, it doesn't change them. You are atheist to Zeus.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10219 Jan 10, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we lack the belief. Twist the facts all you want, it doesn't change them. You are atheist to Zeus.
NO! He's a believing non-believer in the belief of believable Zueseses!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#10221 Jan 10, 2013
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>I totally agree with you. Since the dawn of time man has always had an inner void to fill. a void that cannot be fullfilled by anything in this world has to offer. Are we becoming robots just to exist? If that is the case, why even care about anything at all? If I don't have God somwhere in my life I am completely and utterly empty. That is proof in itself!! Yet you still have so many other signs and miracles that cannot or will not be explained by science.
It could also be a sign of some neurosis. Or maybe you just need to get out more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heaven 53 min Reason Personified 44
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Reason Personified 1,107
Man center of the universe. 1 hr Reason Personified 159
Evidence for God! 2 hr Uncle Sam 51
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Dave Nelson 231,016
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 21 hr Hooogle It 77
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Thu Ooogah Boogah 14,391

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE