Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 476)

Showing posts 9,501 - 9,520 of21,328
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

I'm sceptical of the value of a 'scouts promise'. Oaths, affirmations and the like are more appropriate for courtrooms than children's clubs, which are usually best kept all-inclusive.

The UK Scouts are considering keeping 'scouting for all' instead of making it 'Scouting for all but atheists'....
http://scouts.org.uk/news/2012/12/scouting-la...
If you wish to be heard, their consultation ends 31st January and “Non-members are also encouraged to complete the survey”.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Andre wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I have the same problem with evolution.
Liars don't present evidence. Evolution has that in spades. You should stop projecting. Where is evidence of your god?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
I'm sceptical of the value of a 'scouts promise'. Oaths, affirmations and the like are more appropriate for courtrooms than children's clubs, which are usually best kept all-inclusive.
The UK Scouts are considering keeping 'scouting for all' instead of making it 'Scouting for all but atheists'....
http://scouts.org.uk/news/2012/12/scouting-la...
If you wish to be heard, their consultation ends 31st January and “Non-members are also encouraged to complete the survey”.
It's actually a brainwashing technique. Just saying, look who controls the organization.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Andre wrote:
<quoted text>You are wrong on both occasions. 1)I will accept conclusive evidence where my views are wrong.
2)Your response is your views and I respect that as being your honest evaluation.
Thanks for the brief chat.
Then why have you examined none of the evidence presented for evolution? If you are willing to accept evidence, then you'd examine it all, but you have bought into a story that has no evidence, and are denying a fact that is supported by more evidence than one computer can even hold.
Andre

Fochville, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
That is very silly mythology. Original sin never happened because the garden of eden never existed,
The existence (or not) of the garden of Eden has no direct impact on original sin. Original sin was disobedience. This could have happened with our without the garden of Eden.
and adam and eve were mythological people.
That is your claim – but without substantiating evidence other than speculation.
To show you the nature of your argument – you are willing to accept that man comes from inorganic matter – despite the fact that it is unlikely to the extreme, there are numerous problems associated with the concept and it has never been achieved despite some very serious endeavors – hence the even somewhat ridiculous claim that it was “seeded” by some other intelligence.
If man was however formed according to the Bible (with Adam and Eve as original man), it would all fit. The problem is not the ”unlikelihood” of Adam and Eve, but only the rejection of an Almighty God.
God of the Bible should know this being supposedly all knowing. So redemption from sin was pointless as there is no original sin to redeem mankind from.
To make it a bit practical- just answer the question – do you sin- whatever your specific definition of sinning may be? You do. This means you are guilty. Thus despite original sin, each one of us sin. You, me. So redemption from sin is not pointless.
Besides atonement is abhorrent. It is unjust to offer a sin sacrifice to appease the anger of a jealous and angry god. Think about it, why couldnt an all loving God simply forgive us, without going through with human sacrifice called Jesus. What a silly religion xianity is.
Your argument fails in the sense that even in our justice system, there is retribution for transgressing laws – as it is deemed fair by everyone that some form of penalty for an offence should exist.
To argue then that just forgiving is a good idea flies directly in the face of the conviction of all sane people, religious or not.
Your argument suggests that somebody else paying for your transgression is abhorrent, is also contrary to even normal practices in any society. If you decide to pay the debt for a friend (he owes somebody money and can never pay it back), I would think it a very generous gesture (and even courageous depending on the circumstances). Yet you regard it as abhorrent. This shows some double standards and the reason will be found somewhere else than in reason.
The “human” sacrifice is Jesus offering himself for you. Now you may reject it, or accept it, but you cannot blame Jesus for loving you so much that He is willing to pay the price, settling your debt.
Andre

Fochville, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is proven. Do you mean you just have difficulty in general then?
YOu should try proving your god, now there's something you cowardly liars shy away from.
a Liar is somebody presenting for fact that which he/she knows as not being the truth. Coming to a different conclusion based on information is thus not lying. You are welcome to read scientific journals which offerds alternative explanations for data(as one example, the Higgs Boson which seems incompatible with Eistein's theory)
To the contrary, there are numerous examples of lies in the evolution cupboard.
You assume that I have ever tried (and still do) offer "proof" of God. There again, your argument fails as I challenge you to show me one post anywhere on any forum claiming that I can "prove" God.
Andre

Fochville, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the idiot theist with no proof of god whatsoever.
You are also encouraged to read the post again. It seems that in your value system, it may be OK to call another person an "idiot". Your value system seems rather crude, if that is the case.
If you wish to substantiate your claim (using a scientific definition of idiot)you are challenged to do so.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Andre wrote:
<quoted text>a Liar is somebody presenting for fact that which he/she knows as not being the truth. Coming to a different conclusion based on information is thus not lying. You are welcome to read scientific journals which offerds alternative explanations for data(as one example, the Higgs Boson which seems incompatible with Eistein's theory)
To the contrary, there are numerous examples of lies in the evolution cupboard.
You assume that I have ever tried (and still do) offer "proof" of God. There again, your argument fails as I challenge you to show me one post anywhere on any forum claiming that I can "prove" God.
Well, so long as you are not claiming your god is fact, then you are not delusional.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Andre wrote:
<quoted text>a Liar is somebody presenting for fact that which he/she knows as not being the truth...
We keep trying to point this out to Skeptic, but he can't seem to see it. I don't know about a 'value system', but 'idiot' is impolite (and 'this is Topix','my right' and 'my way' are common excuses but not sound ones).

(By the way, I disagree with almost everthing you have written :-)

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
Blasphemy = satire
Christian name = fist name
etc..

Religion is outdated and divisive. One 'loses one's faith' like one loses one's belief in Santa, or racial purity, or in any other myth or ideology. Beliefs are best challenged and examined, not held sacred.
Andre

Fochville, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Liars don't present evidence. Evolution has that in spades. You should stop projecting. Where is evidence of your god?
You have fallen victim of indoctrination.
Please present proof of evolution. Specifics please.
There is evidence for the existence of God of the Bible, but no irrefutable proof.
Some evidence would be that all knowledge indicates that the universe had a beginning - with no known factor explaining it.This is consistent with the Bible.
Now you could kindly explain how nothing exploded (call it a singularity if you wish, but that will still be "something".
Nature itself was created as there was no natural forces prior to the "Big Bang". Thus, as no natural forces can explain the "Big Bang", it must be of supernatural nature.
Another aspect is intelligent design. The following is an extract: " Even non-Christian Stephen Hawking, considered the best-known scientist since Albert Einstein, acknowledges "...the universe and the laws of physics seem to have been specifically designed for us. If any one of about 40 physical qualities had more than slightly different values, life as we know it could not exist: Either atoms would not be stable, or they wouldn't combine into molecules, or the stars wouldn't form the heavier elements, or the universe would collapse before life could develop, and so on...." (Austin American-Statesman, October 19, 1997.
Now this is no irrefutable proof of God of the Bible, but does suggest such a Being.
As evolution is claimed as fact, irrefutable evidence should be presented to substantiate this. If not, it is no more than a mere hypothesis.
The cliches about liars is getting a bit monotonous and as previously indicated, inconsistent with arguments Christians present. But I will not call you a liar - just ill informed.
Andre

Fochville, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>We keep trying to point this out to Skeptic, but he can't seem to see it. I don't know about a 'value system', but 'idiot' is impolite (and 'this is Topix','my right' and 'my way' are common excuses but not sound ones).
(By the way, I disagree with almost everthing you have written :-)
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
Blasphemy = satire
Christian name = fist name
etc..
Religion is outdated and divisive. One 'loses one's faith' like one loses one's belief in Santa, or racial purity, or in any other myth or ideology. Beliefs are best challenged and examined, not held sacred.
Please supply proof of your claims:
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
If you studied the Bible, it is not divisive at all. If you could substantiate your claim that opposes the stated commands: Love your enemies, be submissive to the government, do good to those that hate you - it will be really great.
Of course beliefs should be challenged. It will be stupid not to. But to hold beliefs as sacred, is not wrong. Why should it be. Is there nothing that you hold sacred - love for your children, honesty, integrity? If not, I feel sorry for you.
Please explain what you disagree with and provide reasoned argument to support this. Mere statements has no value.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

It has been presented to you with thousand of observable testable facts. Yes observable how about that? But for the sake of argument letNs pretend all the observable testable falsifiable data for evolution vanished. Poof!

That still wouldn't show a shred of proof for deities so arguing about evolution is meaningless in proof for god.
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>You have fallen victim of indoctrination.
There is evidence for the existence of God of the Bible, but no irrefutable proof.
Some evidence would be that all knowledge indicates that the universe had a beginning - with no known factor explaining it.This is consistent with the Bible.
Now you could kindly explain how nothing exploded (call it a singularity if you wish, but that will still be "something".
Nature itself was created as there was no natural forces prior to the "Big Bang". Thus, as no natural forces can explain the "Big Bang", it must be of supernatural nature.
Another aspect is intelligent design. The following is an extract: " Even non-Christian Stephen Hawking, considered the best-known scientist since Albert Einstein, acknowledges "...the universe and the laws of physics seem to have been specifically designed for us. If any one of about 40 physical qualities had more than slightly different values, life as we know it could not exist: Either atoms would not be stable, or they wouldn't combine into molecules, or the stars wouldn't form the heavier elements, or the universe would collapse before life could develop, and so on...." (Austin American-Statesman, October 19, 1997.
Now this is no irrefutable proof of God of the Bible, but does suggest such a Being.
As evolution is claimed as fact, irrefutable evidence should be presented to substantiate this. If not, it is no more than a mere hypothesis.
The cliches about liars is getting a bit monotonous and as previously indicated, inconsistent with arguments Christians present. But I will not call you a liar - just ill informed.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Andre wrote:
<quoted text>Please supply proof of your claims:
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
If you studied the Bible, it is not divisive at all. If you could substantiate your claim that opposes the stated commands: Love your enemies, be submissive to the government, do good to those that hate you - it will be really great.
Of course beliefs should be challenged. It will be stupid not to. But to hold beliefs as sacred, is not wrong. Why should it be. Is there nothing that you hold sacred - love for your children, honesty, integrity? If not, I feel sorry for you.
Please explain what you disagree with and provide reasoned argument to support this. Mere statements has no value.
"You're either with us or you're damned"

That sounds pretty divisive to me.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Andre wrote:
How is one indoctrinated by simply studying the evidence? That is akin to saying that a bird is indoctrinated into traveling south for the winter, it simply does not work like that.

Now you have opened a can or worms, where is this evidence of your god? None has ever been shown, ever, beyond hearsay and "I felt ...," which basically means nothing but hearsay.
jacktheladat1

Plymouth, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Andre wrote:
<quoted text>You are wrong on both occasions. 1)I will accept conclusive evidence where my views are wrong.
2)Your response is your views and I respect that as being your honest evaluation.
Thanks for the brief chat.
Generally I do NOT give licence for others to make the claim that I’m a liar. I have read, and considered your BS you intended to be a response to a snide remark I made in passing in a recent post on this topic. The sole reason of my deviation of a lifetime of keeping my word is in the light that exceptions make the rule.
For a genetically born idiot, who does not wish to allow sleeping dogs to lie, and who has not come to terms with the reason for THIS topic, I will (follows) imply an exception to my lifelong philosophy. Further, since you are reading this topic in total ignorance of which of us it is intended for, I’ll even explain to you the gaps in your knowledge.
For reasons best known to idiots, they page a debate that is totally alien to them. They then go all out to preach to the unconvertible, in a belief that that they alone will succeed where probably parents, teachers and other ‘adult’ contacts have failed and long since conceded the fact.
Let me try and educate you, I’m always up for a challenge. I’m a devout atheist. What does that mean Jack? It simply means as an atheist I do not believe in gods. To reiterate, I do not believe in ANY gods. Are yes Jack, but that only defines the common noun. Yes, true! It logically follows that it means I do not believe in stories about same-sex beings kicking-off a whole brand-spanking new, never before witnessed species, ether by themselves or with assistance. Nor do I believe in the source of this impossible fairy tale.
It also logically follows that,(now there’s a phrase that strikes joy into the hearts of believers) if as an atheist I don’t believe in god, your god being just one prime example, I do not believe I have any sin against some entity I don’t believe in. May be my grammar could be in need of revising here, but you’ll get my drift eventually, just work on it for a few hours.
“The penalty for sin is death, including spiritual.” How many forms of death are there?“As god loves us.” But not nearly enough to rid our only home (Earth) of all (our) bodily malfunctions, diseases and killer natural events. Nice! Next!“We know the penalty has been paid.” We only believe the BS found in the Holy Bible.(Bible means “Books.”) We DO NOT profess to know anything, least of all you.
ANY books will provide all the answers when one is prepared to BELIEVE them. Logic (I wonder why that’s a buzz –word of mine?) indicates to us something totally different. Next!”, but we have to repent of our sins, turn from it and live each day following Jesus.” In my honest OPINION, Jesus, if I may venture, was gay. He had no females in his company. More evidence? Cite the bitter, dividing argument here in UK regarding female vicars and bishops etc. I am NOT gay! Why should I be expected to follow gays?
I admire your admissions: To claim that followers of Jesus always has all the “right” answers to all possible questions, is rather presumptuous. There are difficult questions – such as reconciling predestination with our ability to choose. Then stone the crows you come-up with: However, what we need to know, has been revealed. Enough to grant us entry into the Kingdom of God.
It may be argued "These are the same old answers we always get". That should be as 1 + 1 always remains 2. One could have considered you’re on the right road, and then it all goes tits up.
You trust in whatever turns you on, I’ll not be converted especially when, like yours, explanations that are offered which have more holes in them than a sponge.
Further still, if futuristically, you reacquire your acid-burning desire to insult my intelligence, be my guest, I’ll accept it as another opportunity to further your education.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Andre wrote:
You deny the fact of evolution, this makes you an idiot.

You have no proof of god, this also makes you an idiot.

Why do you want to talk to atheists? We already know that people who are stupid enough to believe in god and lie about evolution are creationists.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

jacktheladat1 wrote:
<quoted text>Generally I do NOT give licence for others to make the claim that I’m a liar. I have read, and considered your BS you intended to be a response to a snide remark I made in passing in a ..........
Too many fallacies to even count.
YoYoMa

Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

There have been many recorded data regarding Obiwan-Kenobi. God there isn't. Therefore, Obiwan is real!!!! He is real guys!!! We can't deny the facts! Believe in Obiwan!
A creationist conscience

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Andre wrote:
<quoted text>Please supply proof of your claims:
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
Please provide proof of your god or f*ck off, your sincerely, your conscience & sense of moral fabric.
jacktheladat1

Plymouth, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Too many fallacies to even count.
From which party? If you think I lied, would you be so forward as to illustrate?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 9,501 - 9,520 of21,328
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••