Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10147 Jan 6, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>You have fallen victim of indoctrination.
Please present proof of evolution. Specifics please.
There is evidence for the existence of God of the Bible, but no irrefutable proof.
Some evidence would be that all knowledge indicates that the universe had a beginning - with no known factor explaining it.This is consistent with the Bible.
Now you could kindly explain how nothing exploded (call it a singularity if you wish, but that will still be "something".
Nature itself was created as there was no natural forces prior to the "Big Bang". Thus, as no natural forces can explain the "Big Bang", it must be of supernatural nature.
Another aspect is intelligent design. The following is an extract: " Even non-Christian Stephen Hawking, considered the best-known scientist since Albert Einstein, acknowledges "...the universe and the laws of physics seem to have been specifically designed for us. If any one of about 40 physical qualities had more than slightly different values, life as we know it could not exist: Either atoms would not be stable, or they wouldn't combine into molecules, or the stars wouldn't form the heavier elements, or the universe would collapse before life could develop, and so on...." (Austin American-Statesman, October 19, 1997.
Now this is no irrefutable proof of God of the Bible, but does suggest such a Being.
As evolution is claimed as fact, irrefutable evidence should be presented to substantiate this. If not, it is no more than a mere hypothesis.
The cliches about liars is getting a bit monotonous and as previously indicated, inconsistent with arguments Christians present. But I will not call you a liar - just ill informed.
You deny the fact of evolution, this makes you an idiot.

You have no proof of god, this also makes you an idiot.

Why do you want to talk to atheists? We already know that people who are stupid enough to believe in god and lie about evolution are creationists.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10148 Jan 6, 2013
jacktheladat1 wrote:
<quoted text>Generally I do NOT give licence for others to make the claim that I’m a liar. I have read, and considered your BS you intended to be a response to a snide remark I made in passing in a ..........
Too many fallacies to even count.
YoYoMa

Netherlands

#10150 Jan 6, 2013
There have been many recorded data regarding Obiwan-Kenobi. God there isn't. Therefore, Obiwan is real!!!! He is real guys!!! We can't deny the facts! Believe in Obiwan!
A creationist conscience

Walthamstow, UK

#10151 Jan 6, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>Please supply proof of your claims:
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
If you studied the Bible, it is not divisive at all. If you could substantiate your claim that opposes the stated commands: Love your enemies, be submissive to the government, do good to those that hate you - it will be really great.
Of course beliefs should be challenged. It will be stupid not to. But to hold beliefs as sacred, is not wrong. Why should it be. Is there nothing that you hold sacred - love for your children, honesty, integrity? If not, I feel sorry for you.
Please explain what you disagree with and provide reasoned argument to support this. Mere statements has no value.
Please provide proof of your god or f*ck off, your sincerely, your conscience & sense of moral fabric.
jacktheladat1

Northampton, UK

#10152 Jan 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Too many fallacies to even count.
From which party? If you think I lied, would you be so forward as to illustrate?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10153 Jan 6, 2013
jacktheladat1 wrote:
<quoted text>From which party? If you think I lied, would you be so forward as to illustrate?
To the entire notion of the christian belief being based on anything more than fantasy and delusion. ;)
jacktheladat1

Northampton, UK

#10155 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
To the entire notion of the christian belief being based on anything more than fantasy and delusion. ;)
Personally speaking, my notion of the christian belief is (BRIEFLY) if one believes in a young virgin giving birth, then one has got to be in a group that is easily and blindly led down ANY path, by anything that posses a lot less grey matter than that of a performing flee. PERSONALLY speaking.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10156 Jan 7, 2013
Most people have heard of the BHA (UK), IHEU (International), HSS/Scottish Humanists, AHA (USA), HAI (Eire) and Humani (NI), but here's one I missed...
http://humanistfederation.eu/

Their homepage notes, "46% of Europeans think that religions occupy too much space in their society?". It doesn't offer the sources of such 'facts' and they end in question marks, but they presumably have some evidence in support of them.

Some are vague, e.g. "The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg are the only European member states where euthanasia is legal?" It includes a question mark and it should. Some laws are enforced and some aren't, or enforcement is often a matter of degree. What about Switzerland where some Brits have gone to end their own lives legally?

Publications that all seem to be USAmerican...
http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/

Internet Infidels is interesting because some people are 'not joiners', i.e. they're reluctant to join or associate with any group whose aims are specifically stated as atheist, secular, humanist, skeptic, rationalist, freethinking, or the like. Internet Infidels's 'About Us' states, in part, "A number of freethought organizations focus on providing their members with a secular identity and fellowship with other nonbelievers. Internet Infidels is unique in its design as a nonmembership organization that focuses on providing a free educational resource available to anyone with access to the Internet. In fact, we are the only organization that aims to reach beyond the memberships of freethought organizations by providing arguments for naturalism and atheism in an effort to educate the wider public about the grounds for holding that all religions are false."

Well, that's one point of view.(Just be a visitor or reader of theirs or join the Website to find-out :-) Of course, if nobody ever joined anything...
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10157 Jan 7, 2013
If one wants anarchy, the best way to do it is to organise an anarchist group!
:-)
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10158 Jan 7, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>... But to hold beliefs as sacred, is not wrong. Why should it be. Is there nothing that you hold sacred - love for your children, honesty, integrity? If not, I feel sorry for you.
My love for my children isn't sacred. It just 'is'. I try to be honest and to have integrity, as do people generally. Others will judge our success or failure.'Holding them sacred' doesn't come into it.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sacred
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain what you disagree with and provide reasoned argument to support this. Mere statements has no value.
No value to you, then. Our comments seem plain enough to me.(If someone needs explanation, perhaps we should feel sorry for them?:-)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#10159 Jan 7, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>My love for my children isn't sacred. It just 'is'. I try to be honest and to have integrity, as do people generally. Others will judge our success or failure.'Holding them sacred' doesn't come into it.
<quoted text>No value to you, then. Our comments seem plain enough to me.(If someone needs explanation, perhaps we should feel sorry for them?:-)
I would die for my children, I don't consider that sacred either, it's just part of being a parent.

Nor do I need the promise of heaven or the threat of hell to try to be honest and upright. Why should I?

This is one thing I can't quite understand about theists. They simply do not seem to believe that you can be a decent person without religion. Not only do the seem unable to wrap their minds around that concept, they are also just as sure that a 'good atheist' would go straight to hell for not doing his good deeds in the name of a supernatural deity.....I've always wondered about this.....perhaps I always will.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#10160 Jan 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
It has been presented to you with thousand of observable testable facts. Yes observable how about that? But for the sake of argument letNs pretend all the observable testable falsifiable data for evolution vanished. Poof!
That still wouldn't show a shred of proof for deities so arguing about evolution is meaningless in proof for god.
<quoted text>
If you remember,I have indicated that there is no absolute proof for the existence of God. There are strong arguments, but no indisputable proof.
But please humor me with proof of macro evolution. Maybe just 3 or 4 that proves it beyond reasonable doubt. For a start, how did the universe begin, and how life began.
I agree that proving evolution a hoax will not prove God.(God by default). It would however give some credibility to an atheistic point of view.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#10161 Jan 8, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>My love for my children isn't sacred. It just 'is'. I try to be honest and to have integrity, as do people generally. Others will judge our success or failure.'Holding them sacred' doesn't come into it.
I agree with you. My mistake.
No value to you, then. Our comments seem plain enough to me.(If someone needs explanation, perhaps we should feel sorry for them?:-)
The idea I was trying to convey is that mere stating a view does not make it true. Thus it would be appropriate to substantiate a point in cases where it differs from that of an "opposing" party.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#10162 Jan 8, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
This is one thing I can't quite understand about theists. They simply do not seem to believe that you can be a decent person without religion. Not only do the seem unable to wrap their minds around that concept, they are also just as sure that a 'good atheist' would go straight to hell for not doing his good deeds in the name of a supernatural deity.....I've always wondered about this.....perhaps I always will.
Just two points quickly.
There are millions and millions of "good" people - undoubtedly including you. "Good" does not "qualify" any of us for heaven, as none of us "deserve" it. If it was, it will be a "works" based faith.
The Christian faith (based on the Bible and our own conscience) convicts us of sin - the purpose of the law. Deserving of punishment.
A practical everyday example: You killed somebody. When a fair judge hears the case, it will be but a poor excuse to present an argument that you regularly looked after stray animals, cared for your family with love and was an honest worker.? See the issue?. The problem is that we really have a poor picture of holy lives and sin. We treat both very lightly - including many denominations within the Christian faith.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10163 Jan 8, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>.."Good" does not "qualify" any of us for heaven, as none of us "deserve" it. If it was, it will be a "works" based faith.
The bible contradicts itself on this, in some places you are saved by faith, in others by works. Why do you choose Paul teaching over Jesus.

You seem to have accepted fundie creationist myths hook line and sinker. Many christians accept macro evolution.

Since: Mar 11

Portage, MI

#10164 Jan 8, 2013
What does the Big Bang, abiogenesis and evolution have to do with atheism? Do you have ADHD or something? These are all completely unrelated subjects an trying to tie them together is stupid. It's like saying how can you believe in Jesus when 2% milk tastes different than cheddar cheese and snickers bars taste nothing like Doritos?

Again why should anyone accept god a anything more than a product of someone's imagination?

Proving evolution a hoax will give credence to the atheist point of view? Are you drunk? Atheism is simply not believing in god or deities in general. God is completely unproven and until there is some some objective data for god there is no reason for intelligent people to give the notion the slightest bit of consideration.

Again atheism has nothing to do with the Big Bang, abiogenesis or evolution so so try to stay on topic and stop making an ADHD jackass out of yourself.
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>If you remember,I have indicated that there is no absolute proof for the existence of God. There are strong arguments, but no indisputable proof.
But please humor me with proof of macro evolution. Maybe just 3 or 4 that proves it beyond reasonable doubt. For a start, how did the universe begin, and how life began.
I agree that proving evolution a hoax will not prove God.(God by default). It would however give some credibility to an atheistic point of view.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10165 Jan 8, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>Just two points quickly.

The Christian faith (based on the Bible and our own conscience) convicts us of sin - the purpose of the law. Deserving of punishment.
That's just the saddest thing ever. Why would anyone follow such a degrading theology?

Location hidden

#10166 Jan 8, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>Just two points quickly.
There are millions and millions of "good" people - undoubtedly including you. "Good" does not "qualify" any of us for heaven, as none of us "deserve" it. If it was, it will be a "works" based faith.
A practical everyday example: You killed somebody. When a fair judge hears the case, it will be but a poor excuse to present an argument that you regularly looked after stray animals, cared for your family with love and was an honest worker.? See the issue?. The problem is that we really have a poor picture of holy lives and sin. We treat both very lightly - including many denominations within the Christian faith.
Apologist answer to an illogical proposition with no proof behind it whatsoever.

When you're figured out that you can't prove your god & that you're lying to yourself, you'll become atheist like most intelligent people already are.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#10167 Jan 8, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible contradicts itself on this, in some places you are saved by faith, in others by works. Why do you choose Paul teaching over Jesus.
You seem to have accepted fundie creationist myths hook line and sinker. Many christians accept macro evolution.
You are somewhat mistaken as you have possibly not done a proper exegesis of the texts
I will thus be very happy to receive the contradictory texts you wish to offer in support - if you can.
Whether many Christians accept macro evolution has nothing to do with evidence for it. A very poor argument.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#10168 Jan 8, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Apologist answer to an illogical proposition with no proof behind it whatsoever.
When you're figured out that you can't prove your god & that you're lying to yourself, you'll become atheist like most intelligent people already are.
Sorry to say, a very poor argument. Possibly in the absence of solid evidence? Even your argument of "most intelligent people are atheists" suggests that the minority (as atheists are the minority)are all intelligent. You will excuse my very rough evaluation, but based on the arguments raised on this forum indicates you are wrong. Nothing personal. You are most probably a really great person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 4 min IB DaMann 80
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min IB DaMann 48,829
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 41 min IB DaMann 23,565
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 48 min IB DaMann 5,713
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr Cuddles6778 21,887
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr _Susan_ 258,042
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 11 hr Eagle 12 5
More from around the web