Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,225

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
Tradition

Woodbridge, VA

#10091 Jan 1, 2013
U.K Islamic schools teaching hatred of non-Muslims.
http://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/01/uk-islamic-...
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10092 Jan 1, 2013
jacktheladat1 wrote:
<quoted text>... At this time of the year I would simply love to be in a country Oliver Cromwell had visions of - NO religions...
Oliver Cromwell invisioned what?? He was the ultimate religious fanatic who thought he was sent by God...
"...An intensely religious man—a self-styled Puritan Moses—he fervently believed that God was guiding his victories...(Wiki)

The "Lord Protector" was a puritan and more oppressive than the King. That's why there was almost unanimous cheering on the restoration of 1660. Cromwell was a violent revolutionary and an intolerant fantatic who's son wasn't as prepared to enforce his will with the violence necessary to maintain the puritanical "republic" he inherited from his Dad, the dictator. England from 1653-1660 being called a 'republic' puts me in mind of some more recent dictatorships that have 'republic' and 'democratic' in the title while being equally authoritarian.

I have read widely on this subject in the 70's and '80s and even the notoriously pro-parliamentary British histories seem to confirm that it was more an interegnum than anything like a true republic,(far less a democracy, or period of freedom or progress) The 'Book of Sports' was necessary in 1633 just so people could go out on Sundays thanks to religious fundamentalists like Cromwell.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10093 Jan 1, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
1. I am not trying to deflect the question. My answer is same as my last post.
2. Seeking Knowledge is always encouraged in Islam. In fact the "First Word" which was revealed to the "Unlettered Prophet" was "IQRA" (which means, Read or Recite or proclaim).
Prophet encouraged his followers to read and write and learn wisdom from every source, he said "seeking knowledge is obligatory on every Muslim, male or female" and he also said 'Wisdom is like a lost treasure of every Muslim, he grabs it wherever he finds it"
Our prophet did not base his religion on "Miracles and extra terrestrial powers" but on reason and logic. From his time "Age of reason and logic" started which engulfed wherever Muslims went and lived.
In Quran there are innumerable passages, reflecting on nature and its phenomenon and it tells Muslims and Non Muslims to see and reflect on them.
So there is nothing wrong in investigating nature and try to find out "How" things are working and organized in this Universe.
But to seek knowledge "In order to disprove the existence of God" shows immaturity and illogical nature of the person. Such knowledge and such arguments therefore are bad fruits of acquiring knowledge.
Any knowledge which instills "false pride and arrogance" in any human is a bad knowledge. In fact acquiring more and more knowledge should bring "humility and feeling of knowing too little" to any sincere seeker of knowledge.
The cures and drugs are "also" created by the "Same God" who created these diseases. So to find cures and medicines is "No Sin".
One should all help to protect one' self and property from natural disasters, but should have "faith" that what God Wills shall be done in the end.
It's difficult to believe proven liars.
Andre

South Africa

#10095 Jan 2, 2013
jacktheladat1 wrote:
Just one (good) reason why my atheism is so absolutely rock solid, immovable and stubbornly unshakable is; IF there was a sky fairy, who made us in its image, who gave his only son to save us (I've never figured from what),
Hi, let me try and answer this the best way I can:

(I've never figured from what):
– Sin is the answer to that. The law was given to show us our transgressions/sin (stealing, lying, adultery, fornication etc). He has given us the ability to choose whether we would rather follow our lusts (see examples mentioned), or follow his commands. So what happens?– we sin – all of us, without exception.
The penalty for sin is death.(including spiritual – which is separation from God). As God loves us (even as we are sinners) Jesus took our sins on himself – to make us right with God, remove our sins and make us clean and without blemish.
Thus by his blood were we saved from damnation for our sins.

This is not “automatic”, but we have to repent of our sins, turn from it and live each day following Jesus. We will fail , but know that the penalty has been paid.

Continue in sin? No – if the desire to continue sinning is present, it shows that there has not been regeneration and we are still in our sin.
Further, WHY would the creator (See above) know all the answers, yet childishly reveal none?
I would hesitate to claim “reveal none” as the Bible provides answers to all questions that has to do with eternal life in heaven and holy living.

To claim that followers of Jesus always has all the “right” answers to all possible questions, is rather presumptuous. There are difficult questions – such as reconciling predestination with our ability to choose.

However, what we need to know, has been revealed. Enough to grant us entry into the Kingdom of God.

It may be argued "These are the same old answers we always get". That should be as 1 + 1 always remains 2.

Trust this brief response will help a bit.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10096 Jan 2, 2013
MUQ "Prophet encouraged his followers to read and write and learn wisdom from every source". Then maybe you should study history of religion, science and evolution, so that you can learn about real things in the real world, instead of the superstition of a 7th century preacher.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10097 Jan 2, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>
– Sin is the answer to that. The law was given to show us our transgressions/sin (stealing, lying, adultery, fornication etc). He has given us the ability to choose whether we would rather follow our lusts (see examples mentioned), or follow his commands. So what happens?– we sin – all of us, without exception.
The penalty for sin is death.(including spiritual – which is separation from God). As God loves us (even as we are sinners) Jesus took our sins on himself – to make us right with God, remove our sins and make us clean and without blemish.
This is not “automatic”, but we have to repent of our sins, turn from it and live each day following Jesus. We will fail , but know that the penalty has been paid.
Continue in sin? No – if the desire to continue sinning is present, it shows that there has not been regeneration and we are still in our sin.
<quoted text> I would hesitate to claim “reveal none” as the Bible provides answers to all questions that has to do with eternal life in heaven and holy living.
To claim that followers of Jesus always has all the “right” answers to all possible questions, is rather presumptuous. There are difficult questions – such as reconciling predestination with our ability to choose.
However, what we need to know, has been revealed. Enough to grant us entry into the Kingdom of God.
It may be argued "These are the same old answers we always get". That should be as 1 + 1 always remains 2.
It's difficult to believe proven liars.
jacktheladat1

Plymouth, UK

#10100 Jan 2, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Oliver Cromwell invisioned what?? He was the ultimate religious fanatic who thought he was sent by God...
"...An intensely religious man—a self-styled Puritan Moses—he fervently believed that God was guiding his victories...(Wiki)
The "Lord Protector" was a puritan and more oppressive than the King. That's why there was almost unanimous cheering on the restoration of 1660. Cromwell was a violent revolutionary and an intolerant fantatic who's son wasn't as prepared to enforce his will with the violence necessary to maintain the puritanical "republic" he inherited from his Dad, the dictator. England from 1653-1660 being called a 'republic' puts me in mind of some more recent dictatorships that have 'republic' and 'democratic' in the title while being equally authoritarian.
I have read widely on this subject in the 70's and '80s and even the notoriously pro-parliamentary British histories seem to confirm that it was more an interegnum than anything like a true republic,(far less a democracy, or period of freedom or progress) The 'Book of Sports' was necessary in 1633 just so people could go out on Sundays thanks to religious fundamentalists like Cromwell.
Forgive my APPARENT error - I was in school over 55 yrs ago since when I have always believed Cromwell banned the stupidity of what's known as Christmas. That scenario would be my dream-land.
jacktheladat1

Plymouth, UK

#10101 Jan 2, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text> I would hesitate to claim “reveal none” as the Bible provides answers to all questions that has to do with eternal life in heaven and holy living.
Since I have no reason to rock your boat, I have no response you'd accept/respect.- end of correspondence on MY part.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10102 Jan 2, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus took our sins on himself – to make us right with God, remove our sins and make us clean and without blemish.
That is very silly mythology. Original sin never happened because the garden of eden never existed, and adam and eve were mythological people. God of the Bible should know this being supposedly all knowing. So redemption from sin was pointless as there is no original sin to redeem mankind from. Besides atonement is abhorrent. It is unjust to offer a sin sacrifice to appease the anger of a jealous and angry god. Think about it, why couldnt an all loving God simply forgive us, without going through with human sacrifice called Jesus. What a silly religion xianity is.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10103 Jan 2, 2013
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>
When I drop this ball ... it always bounces ... therefore god?

That's your answer? Lame, why do your parents let minors use the computer?

Since: Jul 10

United States

#10105 Jan 2, 2013
WWJD!?! AkA what would Jesus do?
Apparently NuTing obviously
Face it GoD Jesus Allah MohammHead
doesnt Do anything nada as in intervene...the world is full of suffering/
Explain why the good keep praying but still fill like sht & bam another suicide...
Or whatever the case may be its like WE are put on this earth to suffer & dont even say its that apple BS!!
that means SnowWhites story is more valid than Adam/Eves 14 versions of supposingly the blame for an evil world yeaaaa right!!!
Ppl can believe in a manmade book & ill believe in WaltDisney ETC!

AS the lyrics go in 1 of MY fav songs..

Blasphemous Rumors/DepecheMODE

"I dont want to start any blasphemous rumors but i think that GoDs got a sick sense of humor & when i die i expect to find HiM laughing!!"

Its an awesome song W/a lot of meaning &
again Jesus doesnt do much BuT gets a lot of credit by HiS weak minded followers..
Again BTW i BELIEVE hes LOL bigg time if HE does exist!!! As the song blasphemous rumors portrays..
U have to hear the whole song to get the msg & its purty deep! &
Very saddd!!!
PEACE!

Since: Jul 10

United States

#10106 Jan 2, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Oliver Cromwell invisioned what?? He was the ultimate religious fanatic who thought he was sent by God...

Create your own religion like all the others... Thats Religion!!!
MY religion is ?????
& a happy NEW fkn YR again!
Just another day the catholics created..calendar day blah coincides W/Xmas & all that?!?
BTW
"Nothing changes on New Years Day.."
Quote/lyric from U2 song..
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#10107 Jan 2, 2013
Adam wrote:
MUQ "Prophet encouraged his followers to read and write and learn wisdom from every source".

Then maybe you should study history of religion, science and evolution, so that you can learn about real things in the real world, instead of the superstition of a 7th century preacher.
Ans.

You are very right, we should learn and read Science, History, Medicine and Engineering and every thing in the world.

But our aim with these readings should be to discover more beauties and wonderful things in the world around us, to recognize the Power, Wisdom and Mercy of our Creator.

We should not study these things to "Prove" that Creator does not exist. If we acquire knowledge with this intention, then this knowledge is really our enemy and not our friend.

That is why I said that our "present corps." of Pseudo Scientists, put their "wrong foot" forward by denying the Creator without getting adequate knowledge from the world around them.

Like some one said "A little knowledge of Science" usually turns a man into an atheist….. while the "Deep Knowledge of Science" instills Gratitude and Wonder at the Wisdom and High level of Perfection in the work of Creator.

Only some one with deep knowledge can appreciate the works of a Master artist at work.

Now perhaps you know, my drift when I see all these people "Giving their Oaths" that they searched all over the Universe and could not find Creator anywhere!!

I thank you for putting a very good question!!

PS:

Perhaps I can find an excuse for atheism spreading like 'Wild Fire" in Mostly Christian nations of the world, it was because of "Unreasonable Doctrines of Pauline Christianity like:

Trinity

Jesus being God and Human as the same time and

Jesus dieing for the Sins of all Humans

All of these Doctrines are against reason and logic. And then the way Priests and Popes misused their powers and influences and tried to stop spread of science and knowledge thru brute force.

This is what prompted majority of people to revolt against the concept of religion itself, and when progress in science and technology, brought to them the wealth and high standard of living and "false sense of freedom"…. They fell for it.

Unfortunately the rise of Science and Technology in Christian Countries coincided with the decline of Quest for learning and be on top in Muslim countries.

The end result was that Atheists propaganda became too strong for Christian priests and popes to handle and they meekly "gave in" at each turn and now these nations are "Only Christians in name".

This is my personal opinion, I might be wrong in some parts, because there are many more factors, why atheism became so popular in western countries.

In almost every eastern country, atheism is not very strong, because there was no conflict between science and religion in most of these countries..

Allah Knows best.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10108 Jan 3, 2013
If allah knows best, you should be born already circumcised!

But leave the little girls alone. islamic Female Genital Mutilation should stop *now*.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
You are very right, we should learn and read Science, History, Medicine and Engineering and every thing in the world.
But our aim with these readings should be to discover more beauties and wonderful things in the world around us, to recognize the Power, Wisdom and Mercy of our Creator.
We should not study these things to "Prove" that Creator does not exist. If we acquire knowledge with this intention, then this knowledge is really our enemy and not our friend.
That is why I said that our "present corps." of Pseudo Scientists, put their "wrong foot" forward by denying the Creator without getting adequate knowledge from the world around them.
Like some one said "A little knowledge of Science" usually turns a man into an atheist….. while the "Deep Knowledge of Science" instills Gratitude and Wonder at the Wisdom and High level of Perfection in the work of Creator.
Only some one with deep knowledge can appreciate the works of a Master artist at work.
Now perhaps you know, my drift when I see all these people "Giving their Oaths" that they searched all over the Universe and could not find Creator anywhere!!
I thank you for putting a very good question!!
PS:
Perhaps I can find an excuse for atheism spreading like 'Wild Fire" in Mostly Christian nations of the world, it was because of "Unreasonable Doctrines of Pauline Christianity like:
Trinity
All of these Doctrines are against reason and logic. And then the way Priests and Popes misused their powers and influences and tried to stop spread of science and knowledge thru brute force.
This is what prompted majority of people to revolt against the concept of religion itself, and when progress in science and technology, brought to them the wealth and high standard of living and "false sense of freedom"…. They fell for it.
Unfortunately the rise of Science and Technology in Christian Countries coincided with the decline of Quest for learning and be on top in Muslim countries.
The end result was that Atheists propaganda became too strong for Christian priests and popes to handle and they meekly "gave in" at each turn and now these nations are "Only Christians in name".
This is my personal opinion, I might be wrong in some parts, because there are many more factors, why atheism became so popular in western countries.
In almost every eastern country, atheism is not very strong, because there was no conflict between science and religion in most of these countries..
Allah Knows best.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10109 Jan 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Trinity
All of these Doctrines are against reason and logic.
I agree with this part of the post. Islam to its credit dispensed of the more lunatic teachings of christianity. The trinity, incarnation and transubstantiation are not meant to be understood rationally. They are simply called mysteries. When Muhammed invented Islam he sensibly left out these crazy doctrines. However...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10110 Jan 3, 2013
..Islam has some doctrines against reason and logic itself. Maybe to you they make sense. But to those outside of the islam bubble many teachings make little sense. For example Muhammed proved his prophethood to the Meccans, he split the moon in two. He also went on a night flight on a winged horse from Mecca to Jerusalem and up into the clouds to heaven to meet God, angels, and other prophets. And if you believe in his teaching you will be rewarded with carnal pleasures from 72 virgins in a desert oasis in the sky. Oh dear (head slap)
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10111 Jan 3, 2013
however... they do have a holy she camel instead.(91:13)
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with this part of the post. Islam to its credit dispensed of the more lunatic teachings of christianity. The trinity, incarnation and transubstantiation are not meant to be understood rationally. They are simply called mysteries. When Muhammed invented Islam he sensibly left out these crazy doctrines. However...
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10112 Jan 3, 2013
The 72 virgins will of course have 72 brothers, 72 uncles and 72 fathers all spoiling for an "honour" killing.
Adam wrote:
..Islam has some doctrines against reason and logic itself. Maybe to you they make sense. But to those outside of the islam bubble many teachings make little sense. For example Muhammed proved his prophethood to the Meccans, he split the moon in two. He also went on a night flight on a winged horse from Mecca to Jerusalem and up into the clouds to heaven to meet God, angels, and other prophets. And if you believe in his teaching you will be rewarded with carnal pleasures from 72 virgins in a desert oasis in the sky. Oh dear (head slap)
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10113 Jan 3, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The 72 virgins will of course have 72 brothers, 72 uncles and 72 fathers all spoiling for an "honour" killing.
<quoted text>
The obvious sexism of the quran is just like the bible. Women are considered no different than slaves and cattle. Despite Muq's best attempts to excuse the appauling immorality.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10114 Jan 3, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If allah knows best, you should be born already circumcised!
Consistency isn't "Allah's" strong point...
http://www.jesusandmo.net/2013/01/02/sex-2/
Thinking wrote:
But leave the little girls alone. islamic Female Genital Mutilation should stop *now*.
<quoted text>
All religiously or culturally motivated child mutilation should stop,(i.e. no sound clinical reasons). It sometimes happens for religious reasons on the NHS and if it is wrong for girls, it is wrong for boys. It isn't even absolutely required by Islam or Judaism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision#Cul...

"Circumcision is not required by Judaism for one to be considered Jewish, but there are considered to be serious negative spiritual consequences if it is neglected"

"Although there is debate within Islam over whether it is a religious requirement, circumcision..."

Religion = superstition
And this is another reason it's best to abandon superstitions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Reason Personified 466
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Anon 227,560
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 4 hr Patrick 762
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 5 hr Patrick 4,094
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 6 hr woodtick57 100
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 7 hr Thinking 77
Stump a theist with 2 questions 11 hr TheHeadlines 58
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE