Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24181 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9900 Dec 26, 2012
gibbs wrote:
<quoted text>
lol im clueless?
you think living in Ireland is similar to living in Saudi?
WOW!
I said that ... where ... exactly?
rio

UK

#9901 Dec 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
post #9880 ?
rio

UK

#9902 Dec 26, 2012
Each part of the United Kingdom (England, N-Ireland, Scotland and Wales) should be offered a referendum every 5 years to see if they still want to be part of the union.
Each one has to gain (and to lose) from it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9903 Dec 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
post #9880 ?
Nope, not seeing it. Could you be more specific?

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#9904 Dec 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
gibbs wrote:
all of you out there who think Christianity is bad,should take a trip to Saudi or Iran and abuse Islam in the same way,that way if you ever get back(not likely) to the CHRISTIAN WEST you will be glad you live in a CHRISTIAN CIVILIZATION.
happy Christian to all!
Erm, what about Sweden, or Ireland, or .. well half of Europe?

what did you mean by that then?

Location hidden

#9905 Dec 26, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry that you don;t have any proof of god, but please don't take it out your frustration on atheists.
it would be interesting to see where and when you THINK i indicated that i am religious in ANY WAY.

so please if you could be so kind,thread name/post#.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9906 Dec 26, 2012
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
gibbs wrote:
all of you out there who think Christianity is bad,should take a trip to Saudi or Iran and abuse Islam in the same way,that way if you ever get back(not likely) to the CHRISTIAN WEST you will be glad you live in a CHRISTIAN CIVILIZATION.
happy Christian to all!
Erm, what about Sweden, or Ireland, or .. well half of Europe?
what did you mean by that then?
The "christian west?" Most of Africa is christian too.
rio

UK

#9907 Dec 26, 2012
Gibbs:
"all of you out there who think Christianity is bad,should take a trip to Saudi or Iran and abuse Islam in the same way,that way if you ever get back(not likely) to the CHRISTIAN WEST you will be glad you live in a CHRISTIAN CIVILIZATION.
happy Christian to all! "

KittenKoder
"Erm, what about Sweden, or Ireland, or .. well half of Europe?

You really are clueless about world events. "

You clearly compared Sweden, Ireland and half of Europe to Saudi or Iran .

Now you are unable to explain?

Some atheists are so fanatic they end up looking really silly...

Location hidden

#9908 Dec 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The "christian west?" Most of Africa is christian too.
so how exactly does that explain YOU compering life in Ireland to life in Saudi?

you did notice that i specifically mention the Christian "West" but chose to ignore it.

A lot of Africa is Christian yes,but in relative terms Christianity is new to Africa.

but back on topic,exactly how is Ireland like Saudi?
rio

UK

#9909 Dec 26, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Show us all in the atheist bible where it says that atheists must commit genocide or murder.
There was no need for "atheist bible."

Atheists who reached power in some countries used violence to eradicate religion and persecute believers in a few countries.
They thought it was their duty to enforce atheism; refer to communist countries, USSR, China, Cuba, Eastern Europe, etc...

In that, they were not better than some Christian or Muslim leaders who also enforced their faith. Same difference.
Irishandproud

Dublin, Ireland

#9910 Dec 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists who reached power in some countries used violence to eradicate religion and persecute believers in a few countries.
They thought it was their duty to enforce atheism; refer to communist countries, USSR, China, Cuba, Eastern Europe, etc...
In that, they were not better than some Christian or Muslim leaders who also enforced their faith. Same difference.
Huge thing is though when was last time a catholic leader called on the people to kill in name of religion?
I do believe atheists and Muslims Jews and orthodox were at it and still are long long after anyone related to catholic faith.So better to not involve all Christian faiths in one.Name the ones who are still at it and shame them.

Atheism is another form of discrimination.It is trying to force on others to believe in that which they believe in.Basically another form of religion.It will fail miserably as people love their faith and it gives them Peace, hope,strength and connection with those they have lost in life.
Atheists do not love atheism.So therefore Atheism will never get a strong hold on world.
rio

UK

#9911 Dec 26, 2012
Irishandproud wrote:
<quoted text>
Huge thing is though when was last time a catholic leader called on the people to kill in name of religion?

Atheism is another form of discrimination.It is trying to force on others to believe in that which they believe in.Basically another form of religion.It will fail miserably as people love their faith and it gives them Peace, hope,strength and connection with those they have lost in life.
Atheists do not love atheism.So therefore Atheism will never get a strong hold on world.
Up to the 18th century, the Pope was very keen to ask for catholic leaders to enforce catholicism, in Europe at least.
The Catholic side during the religion wars in Europe were sponsored by the Vatican, against the protestants after the reformation.
The Pope asked the Kings of France to destroy the Cathars, the Protestants, etc...
The Pope asked the Italian princes to persecute the Jews.
The Pope endorsed the Inquisition in Spain against the newly converted.
In Germany, the wars between different states was organised by the Pope, to set religions aginst each others.

I tend to agree with you regarding people' attachment to their religion. Most people, but the fanatics, deplore the extremism and the contradictions in most religions, not least the believers themselves! Not every "believer" agree with the dogma either. But most like the culture around religion, and do not wish it to go away. That culture is often their identity, and atheism doesn't replace that.
So, although there are many people who just pay lip service towards catholicism, islam or judaism, and sometimes are closet agnostic, they do no come out openly against their religion, by fear of throwing away their culture and their identity.
jacktheladat1

Northampton, UK

#9912 Dec 26, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are under the false impression that you own this thread. And you are doing it on the eve of Christmas, so I think that you are full of booze.
You are wrong, I DO NOT Drink any alcohol owing to my prescription totally banning it.
I do not assume to have anything to do with ANYTHING on the Internet in ANY official capacity. You would be well advised to grow up ASAP, cease posting your farm yard manure even sooner, accept that your posts are NOT welcome as they offer no basis for reasonable argument.
Your reference to Christmas Eve is only one from many very clear examples that you page this thread in total ignorance of its subject, in that, WHY should I as a DEVOUT ATHEIST warrant the desire in any event to celebrate Christmas, with or without booze? Do everyone here a favour - PLEASE.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#9913 Dec 26, 2012
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
it would be interesting to see where and when you THINK i indicated that i am religious in ANY WAY.
I'm sorry that you have no proof of god. Please take your frustration out on your church instead. They are the ones that lied to you in the first place.

Location hidden

#9914 Dec 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a lack of belief in god, nothing more and nothing less.

Since you failed to show where it tells all atheists to commit murder, you have no point to make.

At the end of the day not a single person has killed in the name of atheism, because atheism isn't a religion or belief system.

Location hidden

#9915 Dec 26, 2012
Atheism contains no instructions to harm anyone, so anyone claiming that being atheist makes you genocidal is simply a two- bit liar.

Location hidden

#9916 Dec 26, 2012
Irishandproud wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe atheists and Muslims Jews and orthodox were at it and still are long long after anyone related to catholic faith.So better to not involve all Christian faiths in one.Name the ones who are still at it and shame them.
Athiesm is not discrimination. It simply describes a person that doesn't believe in god.

The problem arises because religions invent gods (with no proof that they are real) and try to measure atheists by whether they believe in these made up gods, instead of treating them like human beings.

Location hidden

#9918 Dec 26, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry that you have no proof of god. Please take your frustration out on your church instead. They are the ones that lied to you in the first place.
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU SAID:

DO YOU STRUGGLE TO UNDERSTAND SIMPLE ENGLISH?

why dont YOU show ME where I indicate I AM religious in any way shape or form?if you can't understand that question why not get some one to explain it to you?

Location hidden

#9919 Dec 26, 2012
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU SAID:
DO YOU STRUGGLE TO UNDERSTAND SIMPLE ENGLISH?
why dont YOU show ME where I indicate I AM religious in any way shape or form?if you can't understand that question why not get some one to explain it to you?
The lady doth protest too much. I've been around the block troll.

Location hidden

#9920 Dec 26, 2012
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that you claimed that countries like China & the USSR were violent because of atheism, is a piece of propoganda from right wing religious people (mainly creationists).

So yes, I'm inclined to believe that you are:

either

a) A f*cking idiot who spreads creationist propoganda
b) a creationist

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 3 min yehoshooah adam 3,775
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Aura Mytha 69,863
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 1 hr The Wheeze of Trump 415
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 2 hr superwilly 12,672
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Into The Night 30,080
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 6 hr superwilly 579
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 22 hr Eagle 12 258,469
More from around the web