Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#9786 Dec 19, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Unlike Muq who refuses to answer questions or gives a silly non answer. For example I have several times asked him a simple yes or no question does he believe Muslim suicide bombers go to heaven. All he has to do is say yes or say no.
All this time and still he refuses to answer this.
<quoted text>
He's a bit of a space case, on that we can both agree. I'll give him one chance....if he wants to fiddle fart around I'll report every stupid post he makes to flood this thread.

Wonder how long it'll take??? These Topix people don't seem to care any more than the yahoo idiots did. I guess bickering makes the world go 'round.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9787 Dec 19, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you not tell the fact as you KNOW it?
That they are all dead and we did not see any "difference between them".
We do not CARE what shall happen to them?
We will keep on living our own lives!!
Now tell me, why More and More Adam Lanza type of people should not come forward?
What should prevent them from using his example? Fear of Death? fear of Law? Pressure from society?
What should the driving force behind all these?
I do know facts when I see them. There is NO difference, all the caring in the world won't bring them back and there is NO afterlife if that's what you're hinting at.

Quit trying to foresee the future, you suck at it. There is no driving force except for your idle speculation.

IF YOU CAN'T HELP, LET IT SLIDE. Only the living can help the living and only vultures try to pick the bones of the dead.
Which are you?
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#9788 Dec 20, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I do know facts when I see them. There is NO difference, all the caring in the world won't bring them back and there is NO afterlife if that's what you're hinting at.
Quit trying to foresee the future, you suck at it. There is no driving force except for your idle speculation.
IF YOU CAN'T HELP, LET IT SLIDE. Only the living can help the living and only vultures try to pick the bones of the dead.
Which are you?
You are unable to pronounce it so let me say for you.

Since "we believe" that there is no life after death, so apparently after death Adam Lanza and his innocent victims are equal, both of them are dead.

I think I made a proper summary for you?

If such be the case, why more Adam LAnza's should not be in the world? What is the reason for them not to multiply?

So long I was "accustomed" to hear "How unreasonable and close minded are we religious people", now we see a worse example in yourselves.

Just saying that Killer Adam Lanza and his 20 victims small innocent children between the age of 5-7 became "just equals" after their death? Look in the mirror and repeat what I wrote, will you?

Since: Mar 11

Portage, MI

#9789 Dec 20, 2012
There are hundreds of millions of Adam Lanza's in the world. Savage barbaric cowardly people who target the weak and innocent especially children.

They are called Muslims.

Now do you think Muslim suicide bombers go to heaven?

Yes or no?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Since "we believe" that there is no life after death, so apparently after death Adam Lanza and his innocent victims are equal, both of them are dead.
If such be the case, why more Adam LAnza's should not be in the world? What is the reason for them not to multiply?
So long I was "accustomed" to hear "How unreasonable and close minded are we religious people", now we see a worse example in yourselves.
Just saying that Killer Adam Lanza and his 20 victims small innocent children between the age of 5-7 became "just equals" after their death? Look in the mirror and repeat what I wrote, will you?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#9790 Dec 20, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when does dead have the meaning "equal"? They are all dead, and dead does not make them equal, it just makes them dead.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#9791 Dec 20, 2012
http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/stand_...
The Catholic priest's comments on this are funny, "How can you be an atheist and worship in a church?.... Who will they be singing to?"
It's FUN, not worship, "Father".

Humanists do much the same sort of thing. Keep community & charity work and dump the dogma.

Religion = superstition
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#9792 Dec 20, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
...Since "we believe" that there is no life after death, so apparently after death Adam Lanza and his innocent victims are equal, both of them are dead....
This comment is reminiscent of one made by a Christian acquaintance of mine, quote, "so Hitler got away with it?" Some religionists think that there is justice after death, with those who were good rewarded and those who were bad punished. Religion is used by some as an excuse to believe whatever one wants to believe.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#9793 Dec 20, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
There are hundreds of millions of Adam Lanza's in the world...<quoted text>
That many? More likely they have mental issues or may be mentally ill.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-193656...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/eur...

There were 650 people in Newtown's elementary school and many of them were hiding in cupboards or merely sitting out of sight in classrooms. If Lanza had had an automatic weapon of higher calibre, he could have fired through walls or approached his task with the thoroughness of Anders Breivik. With only 26 fatalities the USA might have escaped very lightly - again. What about next time?

It isn't guns that kill people, it is people too unwilling to control gun ownership who allow people to die unnecessarily.(JMHO)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9794 Dec 20, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
They are only equals after death when people like you ignore their lives.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9795 Dec 20, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>This comment is reminiscent of one made by a Christian acquaintance of mine, quote, "so Hitler got away with it?" Some religionists think that there is justice after death, with those who were good rewarded and those who were bad punished. Religion is used by some as an excuse to believe whatever one wants to believe.
Actually, it's part of the con. If you make an afterlife then their real lives become worthless. Thus they become dependent on the fantasy, like a narcotic, to avoid real life as much as possible.

Scottsburg, IN

#9796 Dec 20, 2012
Personally I would never say only 26 dead. I think some common sense gun control measures should be discussed but we see how tight they are in Scotland and Norway and it didn't stop the tragedies there. Sadly wackos will act like wackos.

I think perhaps the focus should be on mental health had he been properly medicated or maybe had a better support system this might not have happened.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>That many? More likely they have mental issues or may be mentally ill.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-193656...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/eur...
There were 650 people in Newtown's elementary school and many of them were hiding in cupboards or merely sitting out of sight in classrooms. If Lanza had had an automatic weapon of higher calibre, he could have fired through walls or approached his task with the thoroughness of Anders Breivik. With only 26 fatalities the USA might have escaped very lightly - again. What about next time?
It isn't guns that kill people, it is people too unwilling to control gun ownership who allow people to die unnecessarily.(JMHO)

Scottsburg, IN

#9797 Dec 20, 2012
Very well said! The idea that this life is merely a dress rehearsal for the next one cheapens the value of life.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it's part of the con. If you make an afterlife then their real lives become worthless. Thus they become dependent on the fantasy, like a narcotic, to avoid real life as much as possible.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9798 Dec 20, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you made a proper summary and then veered off into left field again....sad.

I will repeat, your speculation is worthless. You have an opinion, that is all. Try to dump the subjective and try real hard to stick with the objective. You're curious about atheism, right?

My summary for you is that you appear to want there to be some sort of cosmic 'scoreboard' for everyone. You also seem to think that all killers are atheists, definetly not so. We happen to be speaking specifically about the Connecticut school shooting, but I am presuming you apply your own peculiar brand of logic to all.

I don't need to look in the mirror, I remember what I wrote. Yes it would be nice to meet my parents and two sisters again someday. Since they were all good people (IMO) it would seem that they would be in a happy place, wouldn't it? That would go for my grandparents too now wouldn't it?

Wishful thinking doesn't make it so, no matter how many ways you spin, twist, slice it and dice it. Sorry MUQ.

My loved ones and those sweet innocent children no longer exist. I have my memories, good and bad. I have handed down family stories to my children...no one can be remembered forever...we all fade away sooner or later as new generations come to take our places. That's as it should be.

All I can do is live my life to the best of my ability, after I die I will be as I was before I was born, nonexistant.

You are welcome to stick with your rituals and your wishful thinking. I will stick with reality. You said you wanted to know how an atheist feels about it and that's how I feel about it.

You should probably ask other atheists, they may have a different POV. It's not like we have an old book of rules and regulations and we don't hold regular meetings to boost our ideas and opinions. We've left the weight of all that behind us.

Hope this helps and we can agree to disagree or lay it aside.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9799 Dec 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well said Kitten. I think you nailed it when you likened religious beliefs to narcotics. "Opiate of the masses" indeed it is.

It's quite all right (to me) to indulge in a little fantasy now and again....keeps life interesting and opens up new possibilities. Much of our present day comforts came from some dreamer who asked,'what if'.

But addiction to a narcotic is not a healthy, normal way to live. Thank you for your thoughtful post.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9800 Dec 20, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Very well said! The idea that this life is merely a dress rehearsal for the next one cheapens the value of life.
<quoted text>
RAmen!!!

I give you and Kitten two thumbs up. The theists try to spin it in the opposite direction....too bad.

Scottsburg, IN

#9801 Dec 20, 2012
Thanks! And indeed we try to make the most out of this life whereas religious retards don't because they are concerned about the next life. That cheapens life and dehumanizes people.

Not for me.
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
RAmen!!!
I give you and Kitten two thumbs up. The theists try to spin it in the opposite direction....too bad.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#9802 Dec 20, 2012
wrote:
1. Hedonist

It's a category which defines any and all people who are not in the category "theism". Literally "a-theism" means "not theism".

Nothing more.

KK

Atheism is a descriptive for those of us who don't believe in any gods. It's a "for lack of a better word" word.

3. RP:

It is the lack of theism.

It means no theism, that is all. Just the complete absence of any theism.

Now I haven't seen you repeating this stupidity yet, but you are the only one I have ever known of to say it >>>>"there is no God, there are no religions, there are no prophets, there are no rules of morality, there is no difference between a normal marriage and marriage between two Sodomites and two Lesbians" <<<<. That is strictly yours, but let's break it down.

You: There is no god
Me: There is no evidence of any gods.

You: there are no religions
Me: Of course there are, thousands and thousands, and they are all the only true one. LOL!

You: there are no prophets
Me: Of course there are, but they are not bringing the word of any god.

You: there are no rules of morality
Me: Of course there are, but they didn't come from a god. We human beings do not need an invisible sky fairy to control us, we can and do, do it on our own. No threats needed

Me: Normal marriages? They are all 3 normal marriages and are in no way your business unless you are in the marriage. By Sodomites, do you means your brethren who are f*cking babies in the rectums?
Ans.

Now you see the three Super brains trying to define what is Atheism.

Is it really a definition? Can such people ever unite on any issue and form a Human Civilization? I hardly doubt it.

Because they only have “ negation”, and no human civilization can be built on only negative thoughts.

Hedonist:

He says Atheism means which is “Not Theism”…. Now I will ask what he means by “theism”

KK:

She says that we do not believe in any gods, she is wrong, she has taken “her own self as her god”, and she says that she chose the word atheism because there is no other word.

RP:

Now here is a name and a personality that are exactly opposite to each other as I mentioned many time.

I am the “Only Person” who has insisted for them to define what is Atheism. Is it not “reasonable and logical” to ask an Atheist what is Atheism!!

-There is no god because there is “no evidence” of God? Is it not a masterpiece? What evidence of God one needs, when this whole Universe is in our front. Did it create itself or it cam by chance? But these Reasonable People when they close their eyes and ears, cannot even see a mountain standing right in front of them.

- Of course there are prophets, but they do not bring message fro any god, then how are they prophets? They “claim” that they bring the guidance from God, so All of them are Liars? Are they not?

- Rules of morality are designed by humans so they make a thing legal today and illegal tomorrow and again illegal day after tomorrow.

- And the three sets of marriages are “as normal” as they can be. A marriage between Man and Woman is “same” as marriage between two Sodomites and Two Lesbians.!!

That is what happens when one denies God and makes their own selves as their gods.
MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#9803 Dec 20, 2012
About Jospehus and Adam Lanza:

Let it be on record that no one, on these Atheist dominated threads, has come forward with any serious post to answer my simple and straight questions.

There is no shortage of posts hurling insults at me and my religion and saying so many things and questioning WHY I am so much interested in Josphus and Adam Lanza.

What I enjoyed was that these people were put on the dock for the first time in their lives on these threads to answer some questions.

Earlier it was "Their Prerogative" to ask questions and demand answers and then snub their noses and say "The reply does not mean their strict criterion of reason and logic and similar things.

But when they are asked to give answers to simple questions, their own response is worse than what they accuse others of.

Let me summarize salient points of their responses in this post and leave readers to make their own judgment:

A. Why I am interested in Existence of Josephus:

This question has been asked many times, that why I am interested in existence of Josephus, a name many persons would have heard for the first time in their lives.

I am interested because his name figures in proving the "historical existence" of Jesus Christ. Many Christians believe that Josephus in his book accepted the existence of Jesus Christ.

While most Atheists claim that Josephus never wrote about Jesus, the passage was a forgery which some Christian Scribe "inserted" into the book of Josephus.

A heated debate is going on since many decades about this issue and a vast amount of data is available.

It seems that for Christians to prove existence of Jesus Christ, needs the "crutches" of Josephus an obscure and not very well known Jewish Historian.

But what about Josephus himself? How do we know if he really existed at all? Is Josephus was an imaginary personality, how does in matter what he wrote or what he did not write.

That is why I am interested in Josephus and asked our readers to bring their proofs about his existence.

B. A look at the "Proofs":

When prompted repeatedly, some people came forward with their so called proofs;

1. Some one said that people honored him and even erected his statue in the city center: Is that really a proof? Who has seen this statue and is the existence of any statue a "proof" that the person really existed?

There are so many statues of fictitious persons in almost every country of the world, that does not prove that they really existed.

2. We have his books with us: Does any one has "original manuscript" of any book which Josephus wrote? Have we any "signed and stamped and certified" copy of his books?

If some one copied or translated his book into another language, do we know who did it and how authentic was his translation?

3. Then someone said that some Muslim Scholars have also quoted from Josephus so that shows that Muslims also believe in his existence.

This is the weakest arguments of all!! Why should the opinions of Muslim Scholars matter for the Christians? And no Muslim Scholar confirms if Josephus existed really or not. They used his name and quote on the basis of what is available to them.

4. Other Historians have also quoted from the books of Josephus:

This could be one of the strongest arguments, if we knew that these historians were "contemporary" of Josephus and that they were themselves "existed" really!!

What I am saying is that when the religious people use these arguments and try to prove the existence of Jesus or Moses or any past prophets…. These Atheists just laugh at these proofs and say they are not enough.

But it comes to themselves to prove Historical Existence of someone, they use the same tactics and same criterion.

MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#9804 Dec 20, 2012
On the Issue of Adam Lanza:

Let it be on record that I asked all these Atheists to tell me if Adam Lanza and his victims met the same end.

What difference death made in their status and why more people should not follow the example of Lanza?

So far, no one has come forward of any reply on this issue either.

They have used diversionary actions to turn the debate into other directions.

Why they can't answer a simple question like this, I am unable to understand.

They should speak out what their Atheism says on such "real life situations".

They have made enough fun of religious people already, now it is their turn to get some flak!!
Andre

Johannesburg, South Africa

#9805 Dec 21, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Although on holiday, I just wish to briefly respond to your comment.
To put it into practical terms, would a game that will qualify you for selection at a national level "cheapen" the qualifying game? It seems to me that the opposite is a more logical position , and I am sure you will agree.

On what basis has life any value?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 54 min positronium 87,410
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 5 hr Dogen 5,815
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr ChristineM 4,035
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web