Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
8,921 - 8,940 of 21,519 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9483 Nov 30, 2012
Quote "If the alternative that's being offered to what physicists now talk about - a big bang, a spontaneous singularity which gave rise to the origin of the universe - if the alternative to that is a divine intelligence, a creator, which would have to have been complicated, statistically improbable, the very kind of thing which scientific theories such as Darwin's exists to explain, then immediately we see that however difficult and apparently inadequate the theory of the physicists is, the theory of the theologians - that the first course was a complicated intelligence - is even more difficult to accept. They’re both difficult but the theory of the cosmic intelligence is even worse. What Darwinism does is to raise our consciousness to the power of science to explain the existence of complex things and intelligences, and creative intelligences are above all complex things, they’re statistically improbable. Darwinism raises our consciousness to the power of science to explain how such entities - and the human brain is one - can come into existence from simple beginnings. However difficult those simple beginnings may be to accept, they are a whole lot easier to accept than complicated beginnings. Complicated things come into the universe late, as a consequence of slow, gradual, incremental steps. God, if he exists, would have to be a very, very, very complicated thing indeed. So to postulate a God as the beginning of the universe, as the answer to the riddle of the first cause, is to shoot yourself in the conceptual foot because you are immediately postulating something far far more complicated than that which you are trying to explain. Now, physicists cope with this problem in various ways, which may seem somewhat unconvincing. For example, they suggest that our universe is but one bubble in foam of universes, the multiverse, and each bubble in the foam has a different set of laws and constants. And by the anthropic principle we have to be - since we’re here talking about it - in the kind of bubble, with the kind of laws and constants, which are capable of giving rise to the evolutionary process and therefore to creatures like us. That is one current physicists’ explanation for how we exist in the kind of universe that we do. It doesn’t sound so shatteringly convincing as say Darwin’s own theory, which is self-evidently very convincing. Nevertheless, however unconvincing that may sound, it is many, many, many orders of magnitude more convincing than any theory that says complex intelligence was there right from the outset. If you have problems seeing how matter could just come into existence - try thinking about how complex intelligent matter, or complex intelligent entities of any kind, could suddenly spring into existence, it’s many many orders of magnitude harder to understand." The God Delusion

A key point being complicated things come into the universe late. It starts out simple, and life gets more complicated in graduated slow steps. To have complicated intelligence from the outset is the opposite of what appears to be the reality.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9484 Nov 30, 2012
MUQ wrote:
White people have come out with only Two Philosophies for the world,....and the current one is Atheism
Oh yes, all of the fault of white people.(head slap)

The most populous Atheist countries are in the East.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9485 Nov 30, 2012
Lets not forget what Muq is offering us: "The Shia fundamentalists in Iran lowered the age of "consent" to nine, perhaps in admiring emulation of the age of the youngest "wife" of the "Prophet" Muhammed.(p. 51)" God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything (2007) Erm, no thank you.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9486 Nov 30, 2012
To finish off. This is great quote:

"The gods that we've made are exactly the gods you'd expect to be made by a species that's about half a chromosome away from being chimpanzee." Christopher Hitches.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9487 Nov 30, 2012
IMHO - Millions of people have millions of reasons not to accept that there just maybe a Sky Pixy with a white beard the length of similar to the stories about it are as tall. I don’t believe in a potential Sky Pixy, with or without a white beard, simply because if there was, would it allow those it loved ever-so-much to:
Die before birth for no logical reason? Become terminally ill at/shortly after birth, indeed become terminally ill at ANY time? Allow its creations in its own image to struggle simply to remain alive in conditions of its making? Spend 1000’s of years trying to find cures for diseases, when it has ALL the answers. Or actually create diseases etc. in the first place. Produce the conditions (Earthquake, Tsunami, flood e.g.) in order to MURDER millions of its created beings, on a perpetual basis? Then, after its mass murder, install into the minds of most of the survivors, the most ILLOGICAL train of thought imaginable – go and THANK it for its deed. If it didn't involve so many innocent people year on year, it would be hilariously comical.
(I chose the term “murder” as it fits near perfectly;) Motive – insanity, weapon (see above) opportunity, continuous. One must be insane to continue with the status quo of willfully withholding vital information that would end ALL suffering of ALL its created beings for all time. religion? Go thee forth and multiply.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#9488 Nov 30, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not from Saudi Arabia, I am an Indian Muslim working in Saudi Arabia.
My forefathers might not be Muslim, but they saw the light and accepted Islam.
Now let some one prove to me that his or her religion is better than mine, I will choose to accept their faith.
But mere claims are not enough (any one can claim anything). let them come with proofs from their scriptures and prove to me that on their beliefs, their laws and their rules and regulations are better than Islam, I will be ready to join their faith.\
So far no one has come forward, they quit after the first session, when I ask some basic questions so as to come to a common platform to discuss these things!!
So you want to have a 'claims' contest? Piffle, just lay'em out and measure'em.....at least you'll have empirical proof.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#9489 Nov 30, 2012
Which “Sword” the Prophet Used against his enemies: Part-53

Enemies of Islam represent our prophet as a very cruel and blood thirsty man, who would kill his “opponents, enemies and any one who disagreed with him” at “the drop of hat” and all his adversaries would be “terrified” at the mere sight of him.

The picture is far from true, let us look at some incidents from the life of prophet, as what was “this sword which killed the enmity for ever”

The Case of : SURAQA BIN MALIK

This case also refers to the journey which prophet took during his flight from Makkah to Madina. When prophet decided to migrate ha and his close friend Abu Baker, took their flight during dead night, they first stayed for thee days in the cave of AL THAUR, located 2-3 miles from Makkah in the direction of Yemen.

When the morning came and Makkah people found out that prophet and Abu Bakr had left their houses and would certainly head towards Madina, they went on looking for them in all directions. They even came very close to the cave where prophet had taken refuge…..this incident is very beautifully described in the following verse of Quran:

“If you do not help (Your leader)(It is no matter) for Allah did indeed help him, when the unbelievers drove him out: he had no more than one companion: they two were in the cave, and he said to his companion “Have no fear, for Allah is with us”: Then Allah sent down His peace upon him, and strengthened him with forces which you did not see….”(9:40)

When Makkah people could not find his, they declared a booty of 100 camels to any one who would bring the fugitives back to Makkah or provide (certain) information about their whereabouts.

SURAQA was living in a village, between Makkah and Madina, he also heard about the declaration of Makkah people. One morning he was sitting with some people, when some one mentioned that he had seen two people going on camel near the sea. SURAQA immediately surmised that they might be the persons who were wanted….but he did not want to share the prize with others, so he dismissed the person, saying that they could be such and such.

But when people had left, he took his horse and went in the indicated direction as fast as his horse could take him. After some distance he saw two camels ahead, and at the same time, his horse took a wobble. SURAQA took his arrows of divination to check about its mission, it came negative, but he perceived his course.

When SURAQA came very near to the camels, front feet of his horse went deep into the sand upto half their lengths, he again look for divination, the answer came in negative. So he was convinced that he would never succeed in his mission. He called in a loud voice for peace and assured that he meant no harm.

SURAQA went to prophet and related his story, he assured prophet that he would not have to fear for any one approaching from this direction as SURAQA would take care of it. SURAQA then asked prophet to give him a written assurance of protection.

Since prophet did not know how to read and write, Abu Bakr gave him that deed and SURAQA went back happy. A booty hunter to a Protected man in a few moment! That is sure a very effective sword!

(Contd.)

Source: Companions of Prophet: by Talib Hashmi

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#9490 Nov 30, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes, all of the fault of white people.(head slap)
The most populous Atheist countries are in the East.
White people? Where the hell did he find white people? I think there are like maybe 12 - 15 (if that) of them, on the entire planet. They dang sure don't run anything that effects us all. Some folks though, is pink (usually they are mostly little ones), but 99% of all human beings are some shade of brown. And what shade of brown colored people created those other 30 - 40,000 assorted religions?

Earth,TX

#9491 Nov 30, 2012
Adam wrote:
To finish off. This is great quote:
"The gods that we've made are exactly the gods you'd expect to be made by a species that's about half a chromosome&#65279; away from being chimpanzee." Christopher Hitches.
One of the best, thank you.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#9493 Dec 1, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Now let some one prove to me that his or her religion is better than mine, I will choose to accept their faith.
But mere claims are not enough (any one can claim anything). let them come with proofs from their scriptures and prove to me that on their beliefs, their laws and their rules and regulations are better than Islam, I will be ready to join their faith.\
So far no one has come forward, they quit after the first session, when I ask some basic questions so as to come to a common platform to discuss these things!!
Do you imply that all religions are equal or that yours are "better"?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#9494 Dec 1, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
1. You say my English is good, while I have umpteen reports that I cannot even right "poor English"!! That is difference in perspectives. You being an honest man, are not shy to speak the truth.
They want to bring me down on any pretext, so they start negative comments right from the start.
2. It is your words against them. All religions claim that they were revealed from God. Why so many millions of people got a united voice, while yours voices are at best individualistic.
The time period from "First religion" to the "Last Prophet" is a span of nearly 3500 years. Why all the religions claim that they are from God?
In fact there are not so many religions as you seem to think. The World's major religions can be counted on fingers.
03. Let us see what you have to post of "The God Delusion"?
Do you have any proof that you're not a religious liar, shamelessly lying about a god you have no proof of?
Henry

Germany

#9495 Dec 1, 2012
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>I agree to some extent. There are many "Christians" that attack, lie, judge, slander, insult and ridicule those that have different opinions. Both you and I can cite many instances. This is however not in agreement with Biblical principles. But there are also those that try to live lives according to the Word of God,and those would heed Jesus' commands (albeit that they may also stumble from time to time).
This does not mean that to try and live a godly life, you are required not to oppose views/actions that is contrary to your beliefs -but hopefully this can be done in a decent manner. If you took the life of Jesus, he was often accused of mixing with sinners. Now did Jesus condone their sin? Not at all, but through parables explained the truths of the Gospel. He started his ministry by asking people to "repent", indicating that sinners should leave their sinful practices, turn to God and live holy lives. I am sure that it is the prayer of any real Christian that words spoken will be as full of grace as those of Jesus was - correcting without insult or injury.
Of course God led the Israelites into many battles and even "went before them". The picture presented of Jesus as "gentle and mild" - is to appeal to an emotional response to Jesus.
That is not a true picture. Although Jesus laid down his life for those that will trust him, because of his love for mankind, He is also the one that will come to judge the world and condemn those that did not accept his offer of salvation.(Rev 6:17 because the great day of His wrath has come; and who is able to stand?). He also acted in judgement of nations that oppose him. God hates sin and will condemn those that are disobedient.
For the present, Jesus said :Joh 12:47 And if anyone hears My Words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come that I might judge the world, but that I might save the world.
Jesus' invite is still as relevant today as it was 2000 years ago:
Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Oh, forget the truth of the bible! What a Jesus personality cult!
Henry

Germany

#9496 Dec 1, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Inductive reasoning can never 100% rule out the possibility that there are fairies at the bottom of your garden keeping it growing. But there does come a point where belief in such can still be considered absurd.
One of the problems is that atheism is a label used primarily by theists to create an out-group vs. in-group mentality, especially among their followers.
Religious people make the claim that this or that deity exist. I simple doubt such claims made without evidence.
I don't think of myself as an a-theist any more than I think of myself as an a-fairiest or an a-astrologist or any other such "what I am not" category.
No god at all!
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#9497 Dec 1, 2012
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>Do you imply that all religions are equal or that yours are "better"?
There was only ONE religion sent by the Creator for human kind. The present religions are the distorted images of the same old religion.

Islam is the only exception, since it is preserved in the same shame and form in which it was revealed.

Now you can draw your own inference, what it means.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#9498 Dec 1, 2012
Which “Sword” the Prophet Used against his enemies: Part-54

The Case of : ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ BIN SALOOL OF KHAZRAJ

There were cases in which “All Swords” the prophet used to have at his disposal failed and one can say that he failed to “enslave” some people. There were some who faced Muslim army in the battle field and were slain, and there were a few cases which were executed on the order of prophet (which we shall take up in the next episode).

But the case of people like ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ falls under the category of Hypocrites or those “in whose heart there is a disease”(As Quran mentions in its magical way). Despite Quranic warning and injunctions to prophet and to Muslims to deal firmly with them and even kill them , The Prophet dealt with much leniently with them and during his life time and life time of his companions, we do not find a single case, where some one was executed on the charge of being a hypocrite.

Early History:

ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ belonged to KHAZRAJ tribe of Madina. He was an acknowledged leader of the clan. Before the prophet migrated to Madina, it was decided that he would be crowned “King Of Madina”. All preparations were made and the crown was also made, but before the ceremony could be held. Islam came to Madina and shortly after wards, prophet migrated to Madina.

When prophet reached Madina, he was universally agreed as the Sole Authority for Muslims in all matters, religious or secular. Most people of tribes living in Madina became Muslim. ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ perceived that his position was usurped by the prophet.

But since he was in minority, he could not openly oppose the prophet, he and some of his followers became what is called as “a group of Hypocrites” in Madina.

Activities of Hypocrites:

These people declared Islam because of fear of Majority of Muslims living in Madina, but they were not Muslims by heart.

Their sympathies and all their good will was with any one who was enemy of Islam and prophet. Be it Pagans of Makkah, pagan tribes of desert or Jews of Madina.

They wanted to exploit each and every situation to create discord and division between people of Median, or people who migrated from Makkah.

They used to circulate false rumor before, during and after wars so as to discourage the moral of Muslims, and in battles, they were with Non Believers, irrespective of their physical presence.

These hidden enemies were a bigger threat to stability and security of Small Islamic state of Madina than much larger enemies who were living outside Madina.

Quran mentions many of their activities, which I have to skip to save space on the thread.

ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ and his dealings with prophet:

Prophet used to deal kindly with ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ and his clan and tried every means at his disposal to reform them, but it were of no avail. ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ tried his best to be haughty to prophet and other Muslims and left no chance to insult them, some of more important cases are mentioned here:

1. During the Battle of UHUD:

ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ and 300 of his supporters initially joined Muslim army of 1000 people to face Makkan army of 3000. On the way, he and his group turned back to Madina complaining that Prophet had ignored their advice and accepted advise of some young people of Madina. Loss of 33 % at the eve of battle could have proved catastrophic.

2. During siege of BANU NADHEER:

ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ sent message to Jews of this tribe, asking them to remain firm and he will come to their aid. But he did not dare to come in the open. When they surrendered to prophet , he almost forced the prophet to be lenient with them and allow them to go away.

(Contd.)

MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#9499 Dec 1, 2012
3. During the Battle of BANI MUSTALIQ:

There arose some small disagreement between original residents of Madina and those who migrated from Makkah. Hypocrites used this opportunity to enflame this dispute into a full fledged war, Prophet reached and got the situation under control.

Later ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ said to his followers “I was saying to you, do not give shelter to these beggars from Makkah, now you have seen how strong they have become and are now bossing over you. When we shall reach Madina, we the Honorable people would turn out those wretched people from there”.

This news reached to prophet and he called ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ and enquired about it. He changed his stance and said that he never said such a thing. Allah confirmed his saying in a Verse of Quran.

Abdullah the son of this Hypocrite in Chief was a true Muslim, when people reached Madina, he stood at the gate with naked sword and said to his father “You said I am honorable and Prophet and Muslims are wretched people, By Allah, unless Prophet allows you, you will never be able to enter Madina”

The news reached the prophet and he told Abdullah to allow his father to enter the city.

4. ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ and false charge on Aiyesha the Wife of Prophet:

It was the same hypocrite who put a false charge of adultery against the most beloved wife of prophet. Due to these slanders, Prophet, his wife Aiyesha and her household had to undergo almost one month of mental torture.

In the end Allah revealed in Quran verses, exposing the falsehood of this charge. Muslims who had joined in the propaganda were punished with 80 lashes each, but prophet did not punish ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ saying that “punishment of hereafter shall suffice him”

5. ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ death and prophet’s Mercy:

Shortly afterward ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ died and his son came to prophet, so that he should lead the funeral prayer for him.

Prophet gave his shirt, so that it could be used as his burial cloth,….personally lead the funeral prayer….put into grave with his own hands and prayed for his forgiveness.

Omar caught the garment of prophet and said “How can you lead the funeral prayer and pray for him, when he said that and that and acted like this and this”

Prophet ignored the pleas of Omar and said that “Allah has given me choice to pray for them or not. If I was sure that by asking forgiveness for more than 70 times, Allah will accept it, I would do it”

After this incident Allah instructed prophet, never to lead funeral prayer of any Hypocrite or pray for them.

Such was ABDULLAH BIN UBAI’ on which None of the Swords of Prophet were effective and he went “Scot free” or do you think so?!!

Source: Companions of Prophet: by Talib Hashmi

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#9500 Dec 1, 2012
Great work and indeed I looked this up and this is verified.

In Islam you can marry a small child but no vaginal penetration until he hits the ripe old age of 9 per order of the prophet. Anal and oral sex with young children is perfectly legit in the Islamic world.

Disgusting animals.
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>He didn't wait, Muq knows there is no 3 year waiting period. The child was used immediately, she may have not been used vaginally, but she was used. Preteen is meaningless, if she has cleared her mother's womb she is fair game to the Muslim man.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#9501 Dec 1, 2012
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, forget the truth of the bible! What a Jesus personality cult!
Please clarify if you will. From your little post it seems that you would think that anybody accepting Jesus as Lord and Saviour does not accept the Bible as truth?

Since: Mar 11

United States

#9502 Dec 2, 2012
I bet they became Muslims so they could have anal sex with children as is allowed by order of the prophet Muhammad.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>

Earth,TX

#9503 Dec 2, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Great work and indeed I looked this up and this is verified.
In Islam you can marry a small child but no vaginal penetration until he hits the ripe old age of 9 per order of the prophet. Anal and oral sex with young children is perfectly legit in the Islamic world.
Disgusting animals.
<quoted text>
I have posted it several times before, only to have it ignored. Seems even the Christards are willing to let it stand unanswered, after all somebody might point out that the god of those perves, is their own god of perves.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 17 min Patrick 226,536
The myth of the angry atheist 6 hr _Bad Company 3
Our world came from nothing? 10 hr Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 10 hr Patrick 13
The Ultimate Evidence of God 13 hr Thinking 67
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! Sat Patrick 7
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••