Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,267

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9441 Nov 28, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Agnostic atheism is something I have never understood.
To me, you are atheist OR agnostic; you cannot be both.
You deny, or you doubt.
Although I am sure that you are about to tell us that you don't agree with that.
Most of the atheists I have met, all of them in fact, in life or in writting, have strongly denied the existence of god (or God), To them, there was no compromise on that position.
I have never met an atheist who admitted doubting his position regarding the non-existence of god. Their whole philosophy is based on it!
Agnostic atheists must be a " US sect" among atheists, no? You like the joke?
Agnostic is a concession of not knowing, atheist is a lack of believing. The two are different concepts, and you are still using creationist definitions for them both instead of actually learning something. Until you learn the basics, you can never learn the reality if the matter, ever. There are no "sects" of atheism, it's not a religion, that's more creationist nonsense and not even rooted in any reality. Agnostic doesn't mean "doubting," it simply means that you are admitting to no knowing more than you do know, you know, being honest, something no theist is. The more you post, the easier it is to see that you are a christian attempting to discredit deists, or attempting to create a divide between deists and atheists. Won't happen, deists do not buy your creation mythology at all, and they know the scientific information as well as us atheists. You have repeatedly made stupid mistakes, and continually offer more evidence that you are a christian, and your lying is getting old.

The reality, no one alive knows, and can know. The mythology, all of it, that people call "religion" is nothing more than wishful thinking, written to con people. If you cannot provide evidence, you cannot assert that you know, nor can you assert that it's fact.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9442 Nov 28, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Agnostic is a concession of not knowing, atheist is a lack of believing. The two are different concepts, and you are still using creationist definitions for them both instead of actually learning something. Until you learn the basics, you can never learn the reality if the matter, ever. There are no "sects" of atheism, it's not a religion, that's more creationist nonsense and not even rooted in any reality. Agnostic doesn't mean "doubting," it simply means that you are admitting to no knowing more than you do know, you know, being honest, something no theist is. The more you post, the easier it is to see that you are a christian attempting to discredit deists, or attempting to create a divide between deists and atheists. Won't happen, deists do not buy your creation mythology at all, and they know the scientific information as well as us atheists. You have repeatedly made stupid mistakes, and continually offer more evidence that you are a christian, and your lying is getting old.
The reality, no one alive knows, and can know. The mythology, all of it, that people call "religion" is nothing more than wishful thinking, written to con people. If you cannot provide evidence, you cannot assert that you know, nor can you assert that it's fact.
I don't know why you keep insisting that I am christian when I rejected that organised religion more than 50 years ago, and have never subscribed to any other religion since.

Your explanation about atheism as "lack of believing" contrasts sharply with atheism as it is understood here in Europe by most of the philosophers; they categorically deny the existence of god. Read Camus, Sartre and others there is no doubt in their opinions!

Why would I try to discredit deists, when I am one of them. And why also would I try to create a "divide" between deists and atheists? I don't think I have that power, do you? Also, I really couldn't see any sense in it. So stop being so paranoid!
We are all against "revealed religions", so why start querelling when we are soppose to fight them and their pernicious influence on society

The deists I know are in full agreement weith me regarding the original creation of the universe, contrary to your assertion (mythology as you call it). Where we differ is on the afterlife; some believe in it, some don't. Maybe you should look once more a the definition of deism.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9443 Nov 28, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know why you keep insisting that I am christian when I rejected that organised religion more than 50 years ago, and have never subscribed to any other religion since.
Your explanation about atheism as "lack of believing" contrasts sharply with atheism as it is understood here in Europe by most of the philosophers; they categorically deny the existence of god. Read Camus, Sartre and others there is no doubt in their opinions!
Why would I try to discredit deists, when I am one of them. And why also would I try to create a "divide" between deists and atheists? I don't think I have that power, do you? Also, I really couldn't see any sense in it. So stop being so paranoid!
We are all against "revealed religions", so why start querelling when we are soppose to fight them and their pernicious influence on society
The deists I know are in full agreement weith me regarding the original creation of the universe, contrary to your assertion (mythology as you call it). Where we differ is on the afterlife; some believe in it, some don't. Maybe you should look once more a the definition of deism.
First point, because you use creationist language and definitions.

Second point is funny, because it was actually a bunch of atheists in the UK, and many from other parts of Europe, who actually have to remind people like you what atheism means, all the time. So either you don't get out much, or you only associate with creationists or complete morons who live inside caves.

You can't pretend to be something you are not when you are online, it's easy to tell when you're lying, very easy, thanks to the internet we actually talk to the people all the time. There's a local deist in my area, he does a vlog on YouTube, he'd agree with me on this matter.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#9444 Nov 28, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Even Prof. Dawkins only contends that a supernatural creator almost certainly does not exist -- "I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there". He's position is "I am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden."

How about Isaac Asimov -- "I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time."
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9445 Nov 28, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
First point, because you use creationist language and definitions.
Second point is funny, because it was actually a bunch of atheists in the UK, and many from other parts of Europe, who actually have to remind people like you what atheism means, all the time. So either you don't get out much, or you only associate with creationists or complete morons who live inside caves.
You can't pretend to be something you are not when you are online, it's easy to tell when you're lying, very easy, thanks to the internet we actually talk to the people all the time. There's a local deist in my area, he does a vlog on YouTube, he'd agree with me on this matter.
I shall leave you to your erroneous conclusions.
I don't spend my life trying to convice people, or do defend myself from wrong accusations.

So, if you are concluded that I am a closet catholic coming here just to "create a divide between deists and athgeists" so be it!

I find it quite amusing...
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9446 Nov 28, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Even Prof. Dawkins only contends that a supernatural creator almost certainly does not exist -- "I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there". He's position is "I am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden."
How about Isaac Asimov -- "I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time."
Humm, all that looks quite moderate compared to the militant atheism professed since the 19th century by the Marx-inspired philosophes and writers in Europe. There was no doubt in their assertion that there was no god. No doubt at all!!

Later in government in Russia, Eastern Europe and China, marxist atheists instaured totalitarian regimes and physically tried to eliminate religion to create an atheist society. There was also no dout in their mind!

Also, the liberation from communist totalitarism and atheism came from ... believers - orthodox in Russia, Catholics in Poland, Protestants in East Germany).

In a way, that was a setback for atheism.
In many people's mind, atheism will always ring with communism (in Europe at least).

So people have seen both; the evils of organised religion and the evil of state atheism as well.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#9447 Nov 28, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Humm, all that looks quite moderate compared to the militant atheism professed since the 19th century by the Marx-inspired philosophes and writers in Europe. There was no doubt in their assertion that there was no god. No doubt at all!!
Later in government in Russia, Eastern Europe and China, marxist atheists instaured totalitarian regimes and physically tried to eliminate religion to create an atheist society. There was also no dout in their mind!
Also, the liberation from communist totalitarism and atheism came from ... believers - orthodox in Russia, Catholics in Poland, Protestants in East Germany).
In a way, that was a setback for atheism.
In many people's mind, atheism will always ring with communism (in Europe at least).
So people have seen both; the evils of organised religion and the evil of state atheism as well.
Inductive reasoning can never 100% rule out the possibility that there are fairies at the bottom of your garden keeping it growing. But there does come a point where belief in such can still be considered absurd.

One of the problems is that atheism is a label used primarily by theists to create an out-group vs. in-group mentality, especially among their followers.

Religious people make the claim that this or that deity exist. I simple doubt such claims made without evidence.

I don't think of myself as an a-theist any more than I think of myself as an a-fairiest or an a-astrologist or any other such "what I am not" category.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#9448 Nov 28, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as "state atheism". Atheism is just a category to describe anyone who is NOT a theist.(hint, that what the "a-" prefix does).

You are attempting to conflate atheism with communism and create a strawman position. This is most often seen with Catholics and becoming increasing common among Christians. I did not realize that Deist had also drank that kool-aid.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9449 Nov 28, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think of myself as an a-theist any more than I think of myself as an a-fairiest or an a-astrologist or any other such "what I am not" category.
I don't really like to put myself in any group, of any kind.

It just happened that at the end of a long journey through life, I finally find myself in tune with deism.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9450 Nov 28, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as "state atheism". Atheism is just a category to describe anyone who is NOT a theist.(hint, that what the "a-" prefix does).
You are attempting to conflate atheism with communism and create a strawman position. This is most often seen with Catholics and becoming increasing common among Christians. I did not realize that Deist had also drank that kool-aid.
No state atheism? Are you real?
Tell that to those who lived 70 years under communism, and for whom the mere fact of being suspected of being a believer could mean years in camps, or sometime death!
Maybe you should meet people who lived under Stalin rather than dismissing state atheism. It did exist!

I did say that the atheism claimed in Europe in the 20th century by many philosophers, writers and intellectuals in general was uncompromising in their denial of deity; there was no doubt about what they were saying! There was no agnosticism in their position. In fact, agnostics were more reviled than believers!

I am not saying that as a very distant christian (catholic) it was a fact. Also, I do not pretend to speak on behalf of other deists.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#9451 Nov 28, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't really like to put myself in any group, of any kind.
It just happened that at the end of a long journey through life, I finally find myself in tune with deism.
And cross dressing.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9452 Nov 28, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>And cross dressing.
If you have something valuable to say on this thread say it, otherwise stay quiet, moron! Any conversation is well above your IQ level anyway.

Don't just use the anomimity of the internet to unload your dubious jokes about people because they have failed to agree with your sick mentality.

I believe that you are nothing more than an immature teenager with too much time on his hands.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#9453 Nov 28, 2012
Which “Sword” the Prophet Used against his enemies: Part-50

Enemies of Islam represent our prophet as a very cruel and blood thirsty man, who would kill his “opponents, enemies and any one who disagreed with him” at “the drop of hat” and all his adversaries would be “terrified” at the mere sight of him.

The picture is far from true, let us look at some incidents from the life of prophet, as what was “this sword which killed the enmity for ever”

The Case of : ZAID BIN SANEA’, A JEW OF MEDINA

ZAID BIN SANEA’ was a Jew who lived in Madina. When the prophet came to Madina and started his mission there, he was partly convinced of the message, but he had some doubts of his own.

He had learned in his scriptures, about the perseverance quality of the Last Prophet, that was to come into the world, whom Moses and other Jewish prophets had described.

He was looking for some opportunity to put his own tests on this quality of prophet. He was not long to wait, for prophet entered into some borrowing deal with ZAID BIN SANEA’ and borrowed some money or some food from him, the loan was to be repaid after a fixed number of days.

The deadline for payment was still three or four days away, when ZAID BIN SANEA’ came to see the prophet, and found him sitting amongst his companions and teaching them about Islam. Without any formality or greetings (as the usual custom amongst Jews and Muslims alike), he addressed the Prophet in following words:

“O Mohammad, when are you going to repay my loan? I know that Family of Abdul MUTTALIB (the grandfather of prophet) are always tightfisted and they try to cheat people on each and every deal”

Companions of the prophet were stunned by this way of addressing and laying false accusations against prophet and his whole family. Omar could not control his anger and he shouted “O Enemy of Allah! Do you know to whom you are talking” then he asked the prophet to allow him to strike at the neck of this uncouth person.

Prophet maintained his calm and said to Omar.“Omar, you have not done the justice, he is the man with a claim against him, you should have told me to repay my loan and he should have told this man to be easy in his demands”.

Then prophet ordered Omar to go and repay the loan amount and add some more, to expiate for his hash words to the creditor.

ZAID BIN SANEA’ left with Omar, got repaid and came back and declared his faith of Islam. He told the prophet “I only wanted to test your patience, because no one but a prophet can maintain his calm and patience under these harsh situations”.

Such was the strange case of ZAID BIN SANEA’ who was enslaved by the “Sword of Patience and calmness” of the many swords which the prophet wielded to his friends and foes alike!

Source: Companions of Prophet: by Talib Hashmi
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#9454 Nov 28, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
What benefit?
If one really and truly believes in a place such as heaven, why would they also consider it a good thing to be kept away from it by a long life span? Only someone who really, deep down, doesn't believe that an afterlife really exists would think this is good.
I think I expressed myself poorly. I was suggesting that his continued presence in this life is a benefit to others.
No, I am 100% sure that the afterlife exists. Do you?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9455 Nov 28, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to those who lived 70 years under communism, and for whom the mere fact of being suspected of being a believer could mean years in camps, or sometime death!
Maybe you should meet people who lived under Stalin rather than dismissing state atheism. It did exist!
I did say that the atheism claimed in Europe in the 20th century by many philosophers, writers and intellectuals in general was uncompromising in their denial of deity; there was no doubt about what they were saying! There was no agnosticism in their position. In fact, agnostics were more reviled than believers!
I am not saying that as a very distant christian (catholic) it was a fact. Also, I do not pretend to speak on behalf of other deists.
First the Marxism fallacy, and now the Communism fallacy, you are a creationist christian, stop lying, stop pretending. That's what you are, and until you can be honest on here, you can never be honest anywhere.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9456 Nov 29, 2012
MUQ wrote:
Muq-ster, wouldnt you have more success in trying to convert Christians or Hindus? Just to remind you of the obvious, this is the Atheism forum.

We dont believe in the existence of gods. We also dont believe in your prophet, or any other prophet for that matter. So why would we care if your prophet is a noble person or a bad person.

We dont pray, we dont believe any book is divine, or in any kind of superstition, supernatural or paranormal beliefs.

Hope this is clear :)

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#9458 Nov 29, 2012
MUQ wrote:
Enemies of Islam represent our prophet as a very cruel and blood thirsty man, who would kill his “opponents, enemies and any one who disagreed with him” at “the drop of hat” and all his adversaries would be “terrified” at the mere sight of him.
The picture is far from true, let us look at some incidents from the life of prophet, as what was “this sword which killed the enmity for ever”
The Case of : ZAID BIN SANEA’, A JEW OF MEDINA
ZAID BIN SANEA’ was a Jew who lived in Madina. When the prophet came to Madina and started his mission there, he was partly convinced of the message, but he had some doubts of his own.
He had learned in his scriptures, about the perseverance quality of the Last Prophet, that was to come into the world, whom Moses and other Jewish prophets had described.
He was looking for some opportunity to put his own tests on this quality of prophet. He was not long to wait, for prophet entered into some borrowing deal with ZAID BIN SANEA’ and borrowed some money or some food from him, the loan was to be repaid after a fixed number of days.
The deadline for payment was still three or four days away, when ZAID BIN SANEA’ came to see the prophet, and found him sitting amongst his companions and teaching them about Islam. Without any formality or greetings (as the usual custom amongst Jews and Muslims alike), he addressed the Prophet in following words:
“O Mohammad, when are you going to repay my loan? I know that Family of Abdul MUTTALIB (the grandfather of prophet) are always tightfisted and they try to cheat people on each and every deal”
Companions of the prophet were stunned by this way of addressing and laying false accusations against prophet and his whole family. Omar could not control his anger and he shouted “O Enemy of Allah! Do you know to whom you are talking” then he asked the prophet to allow him to strike at the neck of this uncouth person.
Prophet maintained his calm and said to Omar.“Omar, you have not done the justice, he is the man with a claim against him, you should have told me to repay my loan and he should have told this man to be easy in his demands”.
Then prophet ordered Omar to go and repay the loan amount and add some more, to expiate for his hash words to the creditor.
ZAID BIN SANEA’ left with Omar, got repaid and came back and declared his faith of Islam. He told the prophet “I only wanted to test your patience, because no one but a prophet can maintain his calm and patience under these harsh situations”.
Such was the strange case of ZAID BIN SANEA’ who was enslaved by the “Sword of Patience and calmness” of the many swords which the prophet wielded to his friends and foes alike!
Source: Companions of Prophet: by Talib Hashmi
Proven religious garbage from a proven spammer.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#9459 Nov 29, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
God isn't real, until you liars can prove your repetitive rubbish stories, everyone with a brain and the ability to question you is going to laugh at your stupidity.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#9460 Nov 29, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have something valuable to say on this thread say it, otherwise stay quiet, moron! Any conversation is well above your IQ level anyway.
Don't just use the anomimity of the internet to unload your dubious jokes about people because they have failed to agree with your sick mentality.
I believe that you are nothing more than an immature teenager with too much time on his hands.
You also believe in fairies and the bogeyman.LOL.
jason norris

Liverpool, UK

#9461 Nov 29, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
shut up, you cross dressing perv.go back and do what you do best, the walls of Edinburgh Castle after midnight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 17 min Just Think 233,165
Evidence for God! 2 hr NightSerf 372
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Morse 5,951
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr RayOne 2,621
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 7 hr SnuffAGlobalisst 23
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 11 hr Dee 41
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 hr _Bad Company 1,458
More from around the web