Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,258

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#9192 Nov 21, 2012
How would atheism defeat religion?(If it were possible)
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9193 Nov 21, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
In that case don't come to the atheist forum and you won't have to read us mocking your fictional god. Who says we know more than you? Simply reading your ill informed posts show us that.
<quoted text>
This isn't an "atheist forum", it's a thread about atheism defeating religions on Topix! Wahtever "defeating" means in this context.

Why "fictional god"?
You can't prove there is no God, no more than I can prove there is one. We are equal here. Your reasoning isn't superior to mine.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#9195 Nov 21, 2012
Actually my halfwit mouth breather that is the little girl Malala who was gunned down in the name of your god.

I see you think it is funny and are proud of her suffering.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious...Is that a feeding tube going into your nose on your picture?

Lexington, KY

#9196 Nov 21, 2012
Top left corner mouth breather. Atheism forum. I guess you lack the IQ to read properly.

Yes your god is a work of fiction, nothing more. There is no equality in facts it either is or it isn't true. While I have mountains of proof showing your god is a work of fiction, all you have is opinion that he isn't.

Facts over opinion.

My facts stand you came to the atheism forum to troll and spam and so you will be treated as such and rightfully so.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't an "atheist forum", it's a thread about atheism defeating religions on Topix! Wahtever "defeating" means in this context.
Why "fictional god"?
You can't prove there is no God, no more than I can prove there is one. We are equal here. Your reasoning isn't superior to mine.

Lexington, KY

#9197 Nov 21, 2012
Muslims celebrate Bus full of innocent people blown up.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/21/us-...
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9198 Nov 21, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
My facts stand you came to the atheism forum to troll and spam and so you will be treated as such and rightfully so.
<quoted text>
So, this thread is only a self appreciation forum for atheists to gloat and congratulate each other, is it? It doesn't say so ...

Or maybe you just come here full of prejudice to troll and spam yourself, on the off chance that you can antagonise other posters.
Whichever, you sound very insecure and not very clued up at all.

For your information, any true believers also despises people who use religion to explain violence. You confuse politics and beliefs.
I rather leave you to your ignorence.

I met a few atheists in my life, some in my own family, but they never came across as pathetic as you. Bye bye ...

Lexington, KY

#9199 Nov 21, 2012
Those are the ones who don't truly follow what teir God commands them.

I must say wiping your @ss with pages of the Quran is great and by far better than using bible pages. Bible pages are more crinkly and brittle whereas Quran pages tend to be printed on stronger yet softer paper, much more pleasing to the skin.

So web you travel keep a Quran with you, Muslims will smile at you and maybe be less likely to blow you up and when you use the restrooms you have a handy, portable, personal source of toilet paper. Much more hygienic than using some community roll!

Praise be to the prophet for making a book that can best be used to nicely to wipe one's @ss.

Christians, you hear that? Best get using better paper in your book of myths so it can catch up!
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I reject the Hadith?
Tell me a SINGLE Islamic Scholar who says that Hadith is Quran!!
The way in which you people attacked Iraq on false charges was as Barbaric and as criminal as the times of past prophets you are telling of.
So it seems you are as barbaric and as primitive as they were....you have not evolved at all.... and all your "evolution" has been in reverse direction!!
You people want to go back to that level when you are apes were indistinguishable!!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#9200 Nov 21, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I was out cold for my NDE, all I remember is nothing. lol
I was on the operating table, gallbladder surgery, but the gallbladder had worked it's way into the liver partially, so the surgeon tried to cut it out but nicked a vein, after they stopped the bleeding they decided to leave that piece still attached. I'm lucky to be alive, if not for modern science and a skilled surgeon, I'd be ... well ... nothing again.
I was awake through most of my NDE (stage IV postpartum hemmorhage), my thoughts and reactions were all consistant with an oxygen starved brain and faltering bodily functions and reactions.

Yes to the cold, floating feeling and yes to the darkening tunnel vision. No to angels, demons or any other supernatural beings or phenomena. Dieing isn't so bad once you let go. In my case I got yanked back (I didn't really want to come back) but I'm ultimately gladI did. It's certainly nothing to fear.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9201 Nov 21, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Another attack! "Myths" and "magical thinking" are more insults.
Can't you just accept that some people can have different beliefs than you without insulting them? Who says that you are more "grown up" than me?
Which are these countries where people do fine without religion?
He said "a high percentage of irreligious people" not "without religion." Perhaps if you actually read the posts without twisting and exagerrating the meaning you would have a better grasp of the debate.

One country you might look up is Sweden, they have about 26% of religious (both xtian and nonxtian) people. 53% of the people believe there is probably some sort of life force but do not identify with religion. 23% of the people are atheists; no god, no spirit and no invisible life force.

While you're checking Sweden's religious demographics you may also want to look at their educational and medical programs, average income, low crime statistics, high standard of living and high rate of human advancement.

They are far ahead of the US. We are the world leaders only in the number of incarcerated citizens per capita (almost all prison inmates claim to have religion, lol) and military spending.

Our education system, medical care and standard of living aren't even in the top ten worldwide anymore if I remember correctly. Bottom line, we need real solutions, real action.....not more televangelists.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9202 Nov 21, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Why "fictional god"?
The planet Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. 4.5 billion years of nonevidence is a little more convincing to me *shrugs*.

If you can't see the logic in that, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Location hidden

#9203 Nov 21, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Actually my halfwit mouth breather that is the little girl Malala who was gunned down in the name of your god.
<quoted text>
My bad. The picture wasn't clear and was not labeled. I assumed it was a picture of you chilling with a blanket since you posted it as your profile picture. I couldn't figure out what the stringy thingy around the nose area was.

Location hidden

#9204 Nov 21, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was she gunned down? Who gunned her down? When did it happen? What is her name?
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9205 Nov 21, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
The planet Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. 4.5 billion years of nonevidence is a little more convincing to me *shrugs*.
If you can't see the logic in that, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Or maybe you could answer me how the 4.5 billion years old planet Earth came to be? I know the scientists tell me it's the "Big Bang". But what provoked the Big bang, eh soldier?
When you will prove to me that the whole universe came out of nowhere and spontaneously, you too will be a little more convincing to me "shrugs".
Nonevidence isn't an answer.

In between, it's just a question that needs an answer, although you may already have decided there is no question to ask, so no answer to offer.

Lexington, KY

#9206 Nov 21, 2012
Google up Malala you ignorant Christhole.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was she gunned down? Who gunned her down? When did it happen? What is her name?

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#9207 Nov 21, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to be joking asking questions like that.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#9208 Nov 21, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because they're not making money of it doesn't mean they're not benefitting from it. A devout christian would want to have an NDE when nearly dying because this would validate his faith.
<quoted text>
Some explanations just are pretty complicated and nearly everyone on this forum has had this debate many times before.
If you're really interested this article might help explain the science of it a bit:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
You'll probably be disappointed though...
"Altogether, scientific evidence suggests that all features of the near-death experience have some basis in normal brain function gone awry."
My first comment on here says
Dubbadub wrote:
I've a problem taking anything on face value. I really do.
The only thing that makes me think there is something else is not near death experiences.
Its those ''out of body'' experiences people who have died and came back have had. Where they were hovering above their dead body.
Experiences where they could see and tell exactly what was happening to them like they were alive. They can say exactly what was happening yet they were dead.
That sort of stuff is unexplainable......
Thanks for the comment though. I'll read the article anyway. But I'm not talking about NDE's. I'm talking about ''out of body'' experiences. I know the two are easily confused.

''Out of body'' experiences where people who died can hover above the room and after they come back to life say exactly what the other people were were doing, who said what, who performed CPR, etc all of that. They are dead, yet they can see these things happening and can tell who was doing what when they wake up without anyone telling them.

That is a bit strange.....

Thanks for the article though, I'll read it...

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#9209 Nov 21, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>If someone is telling you that all these people who have almost left us for good, are seeing the same thing ... they are lying to you.
Some see an old white man, some see so called his blonde son, some see St. Peter, some the angel Gabriel. Some see the virgin, some the holy mother, some see Mohammed, some see Allah, some see Buddha, or Kali, or Pele, or even Isis. Some see light, some don't. Some see their own passed relatives, beckoning them forward or sending them back, some see friends, neighbors, lovers, some see flames, demons, Satan or the imps of hell, some even see black Jesus, and some of us, see nothing at all, while we were gone. But we do see things as we are floating away from, and when we are returning to consciousness. For me, it was a light in a hall, and my son's voice. I didn't mistake it for anything other than what it was.
There are problems with these tales, how do you tell St. Peter from Gabriel? Why would the "savior" be a blonde?
If NDE's had any meaning, everyone would be seeing the same myth-monkey.
I died and had the NDE experience too. It was what I was really seeing and what I knew was there and what I expected to be around me, as my brain was shutting down, starved for oxygen, that I saw. No surprises. I am atheist, I expected no imaginary friends, and I failed to see a single one.
Now imagine if you will a Christain, wanting some proof of what they have been taught, they will see only what they are expecting to see, as will anyone from other religions. They will see what they have been conditioned to believe would be there at their last breaths. When every religionist sees the same thing, we can talk about possibilities of any of it being realistic.
Thanks for your comment I read it all. Very interesting.

Although I wasn't talking about NDE's, I was talking about those ''Out of Body'' experiences....You know the ones I mean?
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#9210 Nov 21, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
Thanks for the comment though. I'll read the article anyway. But I'm not talking about NDE's. I'm talking about ''out of body'' experiences. I know the two are easily confused.
''Out of body'' experiences where people who died can hover above the room and after they come back to life say exactly what the other people were were doing, who said what, who performed CPR, etc all of that. They are dead, yet they can see these things happening and can tell who was doing what when they wake up without anyone telling them.
That is a bit strange.....
Thanks for the article though, I'll read it...
I was under the impression those kinds of out of boy experiences were a type of NDE, though. And I'm not an expert on NDE's by any means, but I believe they can be explained by the same principle as the other common NDE phenomena: the brain creates an illusion and people see what they expect to see.

Our brains can trick us into believing and even feeling extraordinary things.

Have you ever heard of the nocebo effect?

It's sort of an opposite placebo effect. People believe that something that's actually perfectly harmless (like wind turbines) causes ilness and actually start showing symptoms such as headaches (It's called wind turbine syndrome).

Even stranger is the fact that this wind turbine syndrome seems to be spreading. People are showing signs of illness merely because others have told them wind turbines are harmful to them.

I highly suspect something similar plays a part with out of body experiences.

And forgive me for being skeptical, but if I had just one euro for every time a religious person came on a forum like this claiming to be a skeptic and then completely disregarding all scientific evidence that got thrown their way, I'd be a very wealthy woman...
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#9211 Nov 21, 2012
Which “Sword” the Prophet Used against his enemies: Part-44

Enemies of Islam represent our prophet as a very cruel and blood thirsty man, who would kill his “opponents, enemies and any one who disagreed with him” at “the drop of hat” and all his adversaries would be “terrified” at the mere sight of him.

The picture is far from true, let us look at some incidents from the life of prophet, as what was “this sword which killed the enmity for ever”

The Case of : ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH

ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH had earlier accepted Islam. Since he knew how to read and write, prophet had taken him to be one of his scribe. Whenever any new revelation came, prophet used to call him and write it down, since prophet did not know how to read and write.

He went to Madina and was being used for this duty. It so happened that when prophet was dictating one verse of Quran, he stopped just before completing the verse, ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH prompted with some ending words and prophet said “yes, this is how this verse ends”.

This incident caused turbulence in the heart of ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH and he thought that I can also write verses like Quran. He therefore went back from Islam and went back to Makkah boasting that “Mohammad does not know about revelation, it is me, who tell him what to write and he speaks”.

Prophet was extremely pained by this false charge against him….when prophet conquered Makkah, he declared general amnesty but with some exceptions.

ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH’ s name was amongst those who were exempted from this general amnesty. His crime was double, going back on Islam and laying a false charge against the prophet.

ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH came to know about it, and he hid himself. After some days he approached prophet thru some emissary, asking for pardon and saying that he was extremely ashamed of his past conduct.

Using his “Sword of Mercy and Pardon” prophet declared his pardon and he became one of Good Muslims.

During the caliphate of Othman this ABDULLAH BIN ABI SARH was one of the renowned Islamic warrior and he conquered many new areas for Islamic army. His record as a Warrior and Just ruler are recorded in Islamic history books.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#9212 Nov 21, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your comment I read it all. Very interesting.
Although I wasn't talking about NDE's, I was talking about those ''Out of Body'' experiences....You know the ones I mean?
Same thing, near death experiences, but maybe you are referring to the seance type of folderol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 23 min Reason Personified 7
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 33 min Eagle 12 233,080
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 38 min Reason Personified 16
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr woodtick57 2,612
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Morse 1,455
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 4 hr thetruth 168
God' existence 17 hr polymath257 84
More from around the web