Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
8,621 - 8,640 of 21,394 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

You Goat lickers are funny.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Bukhari, Abu Dawood etc. Quran?
I said that I knew your "shallowness of depth of Islamic knowledge" and how true was I.
You have all the qualifications to be declared an "expert on Islam and Comparative religion"!!

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

So in this installment of your poorly translated spam we see the prophet forgives his own family members who only came to him because he returned home with much blood money and slaves.

Is this brutal example supposed to show us that the prophet was anything less than a savage sub human animal? I didn't think so.
MUQ wrote:
Which “Sword” the Prophet Used against his enemies: Part-43
Enemies of Islam represent our prophet as a very cruel and blood thirsty man, who would kill his “opponents, enemies and any one who disagreed with him” at “the drop of hat” and all his adversaries would be “terrified” at the mere sight of him.
The picture is far from true, let us look at some incidents from the life of prophet, as what was “this sword which killed the enmity for ever”
But when prophet declared his mission, this ABDULLAH not only declined to accept his mission, but joined the party who were his bitterest enemies.
Prophet was hoping that he, would have some regard to the kinship and close relation which he had with prophet. In those days, ties of kinship accounted for many considerations, but there were a few people in Makkah who disregarded even these ties and exceeded in their bounds. This Abdullah was also one of those.
Prophet was very disappointed when he saw the attitudes of this Abdullah and ABUSUFYAN, the Son of HARITH, another cousin of prophet. Prophet bore with dignity, all their insults and taunts during his thirteen years of his mission in Makkah.
The thing which really hurt prophet the most was when this Abdullah said to the prophet “I would not believe in you, untill you bring a ladder and go up into sky, then come back from there bringing a written down book and four angels who give testimony that this is a book of Allah….and even then I doubt if I will believe you”!!
Coming from a first cousin of prophet, these were harsh and strange word indeed!!
Prophet migrated to Madina along with his followers, and this Abdullah remained in Makkah along with those enemies of prophet……time took a turn and after eight years prophet returned to Makkah in full glory. It ws time when these people recognised their mistakes.
Abdullah and Abu SUFYAN, went to prophet to ask for his pardon. Prophet turned his face away from them. His wife UMME SALAMAH, said to the prophet “Your cousins Abdullah and Abu SUFYAN are at your door asking for your pardon”
“What sort of cousins are these to me, do you know what they did and said to me while I was in Makkah” said the prophet and refused to meet them.
They went disheartened and met Ali, another cousin of prophet. Ali told them, to use the same tactics as was used by the brethren of Joseph when they asked pardon from their brother Joseph.
Accordingly this Abdullah and Abu SUFYAN went and waited outside the door of prophet and when he came out recited the following verse from Quran
“By Allah! He favored you over me, We were indeed those who did wrong”……(Chapter YOSUF from Quran)
Prophet looked at an instant for those two, smiled and completed the Quranic verse “There is no blame on you this day, May Allah forgive you, for He is oft-forgiving Most Merciful”!
Thus prophet used his "Sword of Mercy and Pardon” to enslave these of his kinfolks for ever!!
Source: Companions of Prophet: by Talib Hashmi

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>If someone is telling you that all these people who have almost left us for good, are seeing the same thing ... they are lying to you.
Some see an old white man, some see so called his blonde son, some see St. Peter, some the angel Gabriel. Some see the virgin, some the holy mother, some see Mohammed, some see Allah, some see Buddha, or Kali, or Pele, or even Isis. Some see light, some don't. Some see their own passed relatives, beckoning them forward or sending them back, some see friends, neighbors, lovers, some see flames, demons, Satan or the imps of hell, some even see black Jesus, and some of us, see nothing at all, while we were gone. But we do see things as we are floating away from, and when we are returning to consciousness. For me, it was a light in a hall, and my son's voice. I didn't mistake it for anything other than what it was.
There are problems with these tales, how do you tell St. Peter from Gabriel? Why would the "savior" be a blonde?
If NDE's had any meaning, everyone would be seeing the same myth-monkey.
I died and had the NDE experience too. It was what I was really seeing and what I knew was there and what I expected to be around me, as my brain was shutting down, starved for oxygen, that I saw. No surprises. I am atheist, I expected no imaginary friends, and I failed to see a single one.
Now imagine if you will a Christain, wanting some proof of what they have been taught, they will see only what they are expecting to see, as will anyone from other religions. They will see what they have been conditioned to believe would be there at their last breaths. When every religionist sees the same thing, we can talk about possibilities of any of it being realistic.
I was out cold for my NDE, all I remember is nothing. lol

I was on the operating table, gallbladder surgery, but the gallbladder had worked it's way into the liver partially, so the surgeon tried to cut it out but nicked a vein, after they stopped the bleeding they decided to leave that piece still attached. I'm lucky to be alive, if not for modern science and a skilled surgeon, I'd be ... well ... nothing again.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I reject the Hadith?
I believe yesterday you denied that Muhammed consummated the marriage to Aisha when she was a 9 year old child. This relationship is documented in many of your islamic sources including Bukhari. Do you believe this? Yes or No.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
The way in which you people attacked Iraq on false charges was as Barbaric ..
"You people" is not me. I disagreed with the war in Iraq, and I disagree with the current war in Afghanistan. Hopefully Western troops will withdraw and Arab people can sort out their own problems. Lets see if they will be successful, or if they will continue to blame all their faults on the US and Israel.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

MUQ wrote:
but I think you are taking the things very lightly on matters which are very serious.
And you are taking a REAL GAMBLE (and not Pascal's Gamble) with your life!!
Yes I no longer take religious things seriously, as I have come to the realisation that god, heaven, hell, angels, etc are imaginary, in exactly the same way that the gods and myths of ancient socities are imaginary. Where I live in the UK, 2000 years ago they worshiped a pantheon of celtic and roman deities. Its a delusion. No doubt.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

MUQ wrote:
And for your info, there are many wrongs also written in the book of MANU.
I made a typing error. Should have typed "many". FYI I am a white british person, not a hindu. I was thinking wtf? book of manu. lol
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

The title of this thread is "Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038".

But, as usual, the atheist lobby cannot resist hijacking the debate to attack the believers. I am just wondering why that? I have no problem with people not believing in God, but why some feel the need to attack my beliefs? What give them the right to do that?

But in any case, I doubt very much that atheism will defeat religion by 2038, if ever. Many people need some form of spirituality, and will turn to religion to find it. It's just human nature: we are not made of stone: we think, we look for solutions, we search moral comfort, etc...

Furthermore, religions are the pillars of many societies, and an essential part of social structures. If they were to suddenly vanish, the world order would collapse, I predict.
Atheism can be a pressure group in society, but never a beacon.

I hope to be there in 26 years time, and see the pundits proven wrong.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Rio, people here are not attacking believers, but the beliefs of believers. You may be right that a small proportion of people will cling to belief in the supernatural. But the signs are that belief is in decline.

The world will be better off if people can think rationally in a grown up way without having to resort to myths and magical thinking. Countries with a high proportion of irreligious people seem to do just fine.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
We only have five senses and a human mind. For all one knows, one is a sort of blob that imagines everything. When we are not seeing or otherwise sensing something, perhaps it doesn't exist. In that sense, we cannot 'know' anything. That doesn't mean it is okay to make stuff up (e.g. an afterlife or god/s). Superstition can do great harm. Surely the best thing to do is only believe anything as far as reason and evidence justify the belief and accept what we do not know or understand.
I try to have the courage to change what I can, the serenity to accept what I cannot and the wisdom to know the difference - and the serenity to accept I cannot understand everything in the universe and beyond.
I've read your closing paragraph somewhere else. I'm quite certain it's been said by some prominent person, the likes of Darwin.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Adam wrote:
The world will be better off if people can think rationally in a grown up way without having to resort to myths and magical thinking.

Countries with a high proportion of irreligious people seem to do just fine.
Another attack! "Myths" and "magical thinking" are more insults.
Can't you just accept that some people can have different beliefs than you without insulting them? Who says that you are more "grown up" than me?

Which are these countries where people do fine without religion?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Another attack! "Myths" and "magical thinking" are more insults.
Can't you just accept that some people can have different beliefs than you without insulting them? Who says that you are more "grown up" than me?
Those are only insults when you deny reality.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are only insults when you deny reality.
Attacking someone's beliefs and turning them in derision is insulting, like it or not. You atheists have no right to do that!

I could just as well start laughing at your lack of spirituality, at your materialism, at your belief that there is no creator, no afterlife, that for you "Big Bang" came out of nowhere, etc... but I don't. Who says you know reality more than I do?

You have as many answered questions as the believers, so why do you insist in holding the high ground in any conversation?

US citizen, right? How many US politicians say they are atheists? How many atheiists would be trusted by the US public? How comes your country is so religious? Your compatriots, are they all ignorant fools believing in "Myths" and "fairy tales" too? Is your Constitution a fraud? Because religion is very, very powerful in the US! Answer that...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Top of the class in atheism and good behaviour are the Japanese. France and Scandanvian countries are good places too.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe yesterday you denied that Muhammed consummated the marriage to Aisha when she was a 9 year old child. This relationship is documented in many of your islamic sources including Bukhari. Do you believe this? Yes or No.
I deeply admire your patience if you have the time to await an answer my friend. Best not to hold one's breath dealing with such from this mutt.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Attacking someone's beliefs and turning them in derision is insulting, like it or not. You atheists have no right to do that!
I could just as well start laughing at your lack of spirituality, at your materialism, at your belief that there is no creator, no afterlife, that for you "Big Bang" came out of nowhere, etc... but I don't. Who says you know reality more than I do?
You have as many answered questions as the believers, so why do you insist in holding the high ground in any conversation?
US citizen, right? How many US politicians say they are atheists? How many atheiists would be trusted by the US public? How comes your country is so religious? Your compatriots, are they all ignorant fools believing in "Myths" and "fairy tales" too? Is your Constitution a fraud? Because religion is very, very powerful in the US! Answer that...
We have no right to insult you? Yet you have the right to attack anyone who doesn't believe like you. Hypocrisy, your name is Christ. Tell you what, when all you religious nuts stop attacking people who are different than you just for being different, then we will lose the right to insult you morons.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Top of the class in atheism and good behaviour are the Japanese. France and Scandanvian countries are good places too.
Well, according to the stats, almost 85% of Japanese follow Shintoism or Buddism, and many BOTH! Other religions are in minority.

In France, where there are no official statistics, it's estimated that between 83 and 88% are Catholics, between 5 and 10% are Muslims, with the protestants and the Jews trailinmg with 2 and 1%. The government is secular, but the French are not atheist in their majority.

I think you confuse atheism with non-practice of a religion.

Many people don't attend religious services regularly, but still keep their beliefs, teach them to their children, get baptised, or circumcised, get married and are buried according to their religion. Not exactly a statement of atheism, is it?

Enforced atheism was existing in the USSR or in China, It still exists in North Korea, etc... Very often, people turn back to religion, even after 3 generations, once the totalitarism stops. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, plenty of churches were built to satisfy the huge demand of the population going back to Orthodoxy, attending masses, baptising their children, getting married, etc... The Russian Orthodox Church has come back as a pollar of modern Russian society, after 70 years of communist persecution. That's matter for thought, eh ...
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
We have no right to insult you? Yet you have the right to attack anyone who doesn't believe like you. Hypocrisy, your name is Christ. Tell you what, when all you religious nuts stop attacking people who are different than you just for being different, then we will lose the right to insult you morons.
When did I insult you?

Who says I believe in Christ?

I don't attack anyone's beliefs, or lack of; that's their business, but in exchange I expect not to be slandered for mine.

You turn to be more intolerent than the so-called "religious nuts" you so despise.

Lady, you have a problem; like a chip on your shoulder!!

BTW, Your video is crap. I can't judge the content, but the picture and sound quality are terrible, very amateurish. That's the reality!

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

In that case don't come to the atheist forum and you won't have to read us mocking your fictional god. Who says we know more than you? Simply reading your ill informed posts show us that.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says you know reality more than I do?.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

2000 years ago where Muq is standing the people worshipped a pantheon of gods with Allah the moon god as the chief deity. He and his daughters the stars, created and ruled over all. They believed this so strongly that when a meteorite crashed to the ground these primitives built a shrine around it and people would travel from all around to this place dubbed Mecca to kiss the meteorite. They celebrated Ramadan and fasted during it. All the while painting and proudly showing the symbol of the crescent moon an star as a symbol praising Allah the moon god an his daughters the stars. Allah was the truth and the way as he helped travelers at night with his moonly light. To suggest another deity was above Allah the moon god would result in battles and bloodshed.

So we can see lots has changed there as well.

:rolls eyes, knowing smile:
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I no longer take religious things seriously, as I have come to the realisation that god, heaven, hell, angels, etc are imaginary, in exactly the same way that the gods and myths of ancient socities are imaginary. Where I live in the UK, 2000 years ago they worshiped a pantheon of celtic and roman deities. Its a delusion. No doubt.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min number four 224,174
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 35 min Hidingfromyou 373
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Richardfs 218
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 15 hr DonPanic 1,285
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 18 hr religionisillness 271
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... Thu Patrick 16
•••
•••