Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
8,601 - 8,620 of 21,506 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#9144 Nov 20, 2012
What do you call a Muslim that owns a camel and a goat?

Bisexual

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#9145 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just as gullible as any religious person.
Well this discussion was a bit pointless.

Good day to you.....

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#9146 Nov 20, 2012
Did you hear about the Muslim strip club?

It features full facial nudity.
soapman

Pittsburgh, PA

#9147 Nov 20, 2012
youtube.com/watch... Old Farts or Young Stinkers? religon is fading is locations
rio

UK

#9148 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you tell that they didn't make it up? That's just the first point. The rest would take a decade to explain it to you.
You mean that we are all idiots, but that you have a superior intelligence, right?
That's how YOU can understand everything, but your explanations would go over our heads, yes?
rio

UK

#9149 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just as gullible as any religious person.
Or YOU are just as gullible as any non-religious person, perhaps?

You aren't suffering from a superiority complex, by any chance?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9150 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Good day to you.....
When you want to talk science you don't bring fantasy and myth to the table.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9151 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean that we are all idiots, but that you have a superior intelligence, right?
That's how YOU can understand everything, but your explanations would go over our heads, yes?
It's called neuroscience, and yes, it takes a lot more than 5 minutes to learn, a lot more.
rio

UK

#9152 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Good day to you.....
There is no discussion possible when one side pretends it knows everything and everybody else is just ignorant.
In matters of faith, beliefs, religions, etc... it's good to keep an open mind and some humility.
Atheists can prove to be just as fanatic as some believers, I found.
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#9153 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
If they're not selling a book, and strangers such as doctors etc who were present at the time are saying its true. What excuse would they have to lie? If they're not profitting from it. You know?
Just because they're not making money of it doesn't mean they're not benefitting from it. A devout christian would want to have an NDE when nearly dying because this would validate his faith.
How could it take so long to explain?
Some explanations just are pretty complicated and nearly everyone on this forum has had this debate many times before.

If you're really interested this article might help explain the science of it a bit:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

You'll probably be disappointed though...

"Altogether, scientific evidence suggests that all features of the near-death experience have some basis in normal brain function gone awry."

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9154 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Or YOU are just as gullible as any non-religious person, perhaps?
You aren't suffering from a superiority complex, by any chance?
You love contradicting yourself too, how cute.
Ramafuchs

Bonn, Germany

#9155 Nov 20, 2012
I will die without any religious affliations. I was born like all of us without religion. after our intellectual upbringing we follow some sort of religion..
I know a son of my sister who cannot speak, read, or hear the noise around his surrounding. He has no religion nor any trouble to get his food..A simple Atheist like me need no GOD
Ramafuchs

Bonn, Germany

#9156 Nov 20, 2012
Of course i have rational thoughts to expose my ignorance

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#9157 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no discussion possible when one side pretends it knows everything and everybody else is just ignorant.
In matters of faith, beliefs, religions, etc... it's good to keep an open mind and some humility.
Atheists can prove to be just as fanatic as some believers, I found.
Exactly some of them are fanatical. Yeah true I think its important to have tolerance of peoples beliefs with regard to their faith or lack of it.

I used to have time for Dawkins, didn't agree with all he said but thought he was interesting all the same. I saw him then slagging off Mitt Romney on some US chat show because Romney was a Mormon. Now I believe Mormonism is not true, but I thought Dawkins slagging Romney off over believing in it was a bit below the belt. He went down in my estimation a bit because of that.

Obviously Romney like him or not, isn't stupid, he wouldn't have been running for President if he was. He has his religious beliefs, I think they deserve a bit of respect no matter how far out people might think they are.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#9161 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists cannot convince religious people, just like religious people cannot convince atheists.
Having said that, gratuitous insults like "superstition", "self-deluded" and "Crutch to deal with reality" are not necessary.
The fact is that both sides are right in their beliefs. There is no conflict. It's all about faith in what you beleive, which cannot be proven anyway.
I was once religious and many atheists I know tell the same story. So your theory that no one changes is seriously flawed. Now that more people are better educated, religion is falling by the wayside. More people are leaving the churches and less young people are joining. Hence the title of the thread.

I once was blind but now I'm free;0) What you think of as superfluous jibes are merely an accurate description from my POV. Likewise those who threaten me with hellfire and brimstone seem pretty silly, JIMHO.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#9162 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
Are atheists happier than believers?
That's the question, and I don't think that is true.
Also, in countries where atheism was enforced, why were the people resisting it, and keeping their faith in secret?
Several governments have tried in the past to stop religious beliefs (USSR, China, Albania, etc...) have they succeeded? No. Why?
Who is happier is NOT the question and nothing you can prove either way. Idle speculation hardly makes for interesting debate.

No country is going to be ALL atheist or ALL religious. People have their own minds....not everyone is a godbot you know. Have you and your religious friends been able to make your country a theocracy? No. Is the USA a theocracy? No, though many are trying.

If you want to see a government supported theocracy, go to Iran, they've done a bang up job haven't they?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#9163 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
If they're not selling a book, and strangers such as doctors etc who were present at the time are saying its true. What excuse would they have to lie? If they're not profitting from it. You know?
How could it take so long to explain?
If someone is telling you that all these people who have almost left us for good, are seeing the same thing ... they are lying to you.

Some see an old white man, some see so called his blonde son, some see St. Peter, some the angel Gabriel. Some see the virgin, some the holy mother, some see Mohammed, some see Allah, some see Buddha, or Kali, or Pele, or even Isis. Some see light, some don't. Some see their own passed relatives, beckoning them forward or sending them back, some see friends, neighbors, lovers, some see flames, demons, Satan or the imps of hell, some even see black Jesus, and some of us, see nothing at all, while we were gone. But we do see things as we are floating away from, and when we are returning to consciousness. For me, it was a light in a hall, and my son's voice. I didn't mistake it for anything other than what it was.

There are problems with these tales, how do you tell St. Peter from Gabriel? Why would the "savior" be a blonde?

If NDE's had any meaning, everyone would be seeing the same myth-monkey.

I died and had the NDE experience too. It was what I was really seeing and what I knew was there and what I expected to be around me, as my brain was shutting down, starved for oxygen, that I saw. No surprises. I am atheist, I expected no imaginary friends, and I failed to see a single one.

Now imagine if you will a Christain, wanting some proof of what they have been taught, they will see only what they are expecting to see, as will anyone from other religions. They will see what they have been conditioned to believe would be there at their last breaths. When every religionist sees the same thing, we can talk about possibilities of any of it being realistic.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9164 Nov 21, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me the name of a Single Muslim Scholar who says that Bukhari is Quran?
And I am amazed at your courage to address me as a KAFIR, do you know what KAFIR means?
Many muslims will consider you kafir for rejecting the hadith. Your rational brain is telling you things in the hadith are wrong. We all know stoning for adultery is wrong, slavery is wrong, Muhammed marrying a 6 year old wrong. However these are all in the hadith.

The same goes for the bible. The barbaric laws and violence in the bible are immoral and wrong. Rather than excuse the crimes of these "prophets", lets accept that these are primitive people living in primitive times. There is no need to be stuck in the past.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9165 Nov 21, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly some of them are fanatical. Yeah true I think its important to have tolerance of peoples beliefs with regard to their faith or lack of it.
I used to have time for Dawkins, didn't agree with all he said but thought he was interesting all the same. I saw him then slagging off Mitt Romney on some US chat show because Romney was a Mormon. Now I believe Mormonism is not true, but I thought Dawkins slagging Romney off over believing in it was a bit below the belt. He went down in my estimation a bit because of that.
Obviously Romney like him or not, isn't stupid, he wouldn't have been running for President if he was. He has his religious beliefs, I think they deserve a bit of respect no matter how far out people might think they are.
Would you not want to correct the perception of someone who thinks a soap opera is real?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#9166 Nov 21, 2012
For the win!:))
Khatru wrote:
What do you call a Muslim that owns a camel and a goat?
Bisexual

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr religionislies 58
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr religionislies 226,397
The Ultimate Evidence of God 9 hr CunningLinguist 65
The myth of the angry atheist 16 hr _Bad Company 1
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 17 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 18 hr CunningLinguist 14
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 18 hr CunningLinguist 39
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••