Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 430)

Showing posts 8,581 - 8,600 of21,376
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a very defeatist attitude on life. You failed to create your own meaning so you just took something someone else offered, and not a very good one.
What do you mean "I failed to create my own meaning"?
I don't think I have dome badly at all in this life, personally, professionally, emotionally, financially, etc...
But the prospect that all is going to end in dust after death isn't very appealling to me. It sounds like a waste.
Well, for some people that may seem alright, not for me.
It doesn't warrant the glorification of human life if it all ends up in decaying cells once death has come. It sounds so material without afterlife; just growing, breeding, consuming, producing and then ...pop... nothing? Just a link in the food chain? Hummm...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Miss Science Geek wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously failed biology, stupid bítch!
lol. I bet its true!
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
But the prospect that all is going to end in dust after death isn't very appealling to me.
Welcome to the real world. Just think of it, as like the time before we were born. i.e. nothing.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

We only have five senses and a human mind. For all one knows, one is a sort of blob that imagines everything. When we are not seeing or otherwise sensing something, perhaps it doesn't exist. In that sense, we cannot 'know' anything. That doesn't mean it is okay to make stuff up (e.g. an afterlife or god/s). Superstition can do great harm. Surely the best thing to do is only believe anything as far as reason and evidence justify the belief and accept what we do not know or understand.

I try to have the courage to change what I can, the serenity to accept what I cannot and the wisdom to know the difference - and the serenity to accept I cannot understand everything in the universe and beyond.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean "I failed to create my own meaning"?
I don't think I have dome badly at all in this life, personally, professionally, emotionally, financially, etc...
But the prospect that all is going to end in dust after death isn't very appealling to me. It sounds like a waste.
Well, for some people that may seem alright, not for me.
It doesn't warrant the glorification of human life if it all ends up in decaying cells once death has come. It sounds so material without afterlife; just growing, breeding, consuming, producing and then ...pop... nothing? Just a link in the food chain? Hummm...
So you are going to waste your life worshiping something just because you really want it to be real, regardless of the lacking evidence or the people you are making very wealthy by doing so.

Those who want their lives to have meaning leave behind a legacy of progress, change for the better, footsteps that no others can fill.
rio

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

EdSed wrote:
and the serenity to accept I cannot understand everything in the universe and beyond.
You seem to leave the door open to belief here...

Just like if you had doubt in what you say.

I have doubt too, but I feel more comfortable in believing in some sort of surnatural force, God, etc... than to deny its existence.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

I have a nice laugh when you rejects have to change your screen name because you got your @ss handed to you so badly.

:)
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I have doubt too, but I feel more comfortable in believing in some sort of surnatural force, God, etc... than to deny its existence.
rio

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are going to waste your life worshiping something just because you really want it to be real, regardless of the lacking evidence or the people you are making very wealthy by doing so.
Those who want their lives to have meaning leave behind a legacy of progress, change for the better, footsteps that no others can fill.
Who says I worship,or I make anyone wealthy?
I am no Mormon, or Scientoloogist, or subscribing to an established religion; I just believe in God - period!

Oh, and 5 billions of human beings can all give meaning to their lives on this earth, all at ionce, right?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says I worship,or I make anyone wealthy?
I am no Mormon, or Scientoloogist, or subscribing to an established religion; I just believe in God - period!
Oh, and 5 billions of human beings can all give meaning to their lives on this earth, all at ionce, right?
English?

There are 8.something billion people, to be more accurate, 5 billion was I believe 1960.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid you seem to me to have trouble comprehending what I wrote.

As many of us feel we must repeat ad nauseum: I don't have any 'beleifs' in the religious sense. Perhaps if you hear it in song?...
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...
(Sorry for Jonny's bad language :-)
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
...Just like if you had doubt in what you say....
Doubt in what I say? My mind doesn't work that way.

I only believe anything as far as it is justified by reason and evidence. Surely nobody should believe anything beyond what is justified by reason and evidence? My beliefs therefore change with reasoning and evidence.

For instance, if I had been born over 700 years ago, I might have believed that reason and evidence proved the world was flat. So I would regard the world as being flat as a fact. When I discovered evidence that the world is in fact round(ish), I would change what I believe. I don't just believe there is a god or not according to which makes me feel better.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

It isn't a queston of 'doubt in what I say'. I will happily question any or ALL my beliefs, every day. It might not be wise to trust anyone unwilling to question what they believe.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
English?
There are 8.something billion people, to be more accurate, 5 billion was I believe 1960.
5 billions, 8 billions, 10 billions, what's the hell?

Do you think each one of these lives on earth is going to be meaningfull?

Looks like 8 or 10 billions cabbages rotting to oblivion to me if there is no afterlife.

That doesn't give much value to life really, does it?
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>

As many of us feel we must repeat ad nauseum: I don't have any 'beleifs' in the religious sense.
I stick to that definition: "Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true."

Your affirmation in the non-existence of God IS a belief.
It may not be religious, but it is a philosophical belief.

Atheists often repute the idea that they have a belief, because they equate beliefs with superstition. Fine with me ...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like 8 or 10 billions cabbages rotting to oblivion to me if there is no afterlife.
Since English is not your primary language, I'll try to be nice about your failure to use proper grammar. Each life is as meaningful as that person makes it, it's no more meaningful than that. People make their own meaning and purpose for their life, whether they choose a wish filled cookie cutter one, or you stand up and make a truly meaningful life, it's still your choice. But when you die, unless you make a purpose in life that's for living, your life will be meaningless when you die. No one who focuses on death is ever truly alive.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

I've a problem taking anything on face value. I really do.

The only thing that makes me think there is something else is not near death experiences.

Its those ''out of body'' experiences people who have died and came back have had. Where they were hovering above their dead body.

Experiences where they could see and tell exactly what was happening to them like they were alive. They can say exactly what was happening yet they were dead.

That sort of stuff is unexplainable......

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Dubbadub wrote:
I've a problem taking anything on face value. I really do.
The only thing that makes me think there is something else is not near death experiences.
Its those ''out of body'' experiences people who have died and came back have had. Where they were hovering above their dead body.
Experiences where they could see and tell exactly what was happening to them like they were alive. They can say exactly what was happening yet they were dead.
That sort of stuff is unexplainable......
You are doing exactly what you say you don't do. Why do you lie?

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are doing exactly what you say you don't do. Why do you lie?
Not really though.

If people can say exactly where doctors, family etc were in the room and what they were doing after they were dead.

That is pretty unexplainable. You know?
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah the ever returning "Is this it?" question.
In the words of Richard Dawkins: "What do you mean is this it? THis is wonderful."

I think the fact that our lives are relatively short makes them more precious, not less. We only truly get how great a gift life is because we can contrast it with death, in the same way we wouldn' t be able to comprehend light without darkness or good without evil. They're two sides of the same coin and one is meaningless without the other.
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I stick to that definition: "Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true."
Your affirmation in the non-existence of God IS a belief.
It may not be religious, but it is a philosophical belief.
Atheists often repute the idea that they have a belief, because they equate beliefs with superstition. Fine with me ...
Does that mean we are both members of the 'I believe in the non-existence of flying purple dinosaurs' club?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,581 - 8,600 of21,376
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 min Aura Mytha 223,962
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Patrick 829
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr religionisillness 147
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 5 hr religionisillness 349
Talking some sense into you people... 5 hr Patrick 23
Maher to Stewart: 'Drugs are good, religion is ... 7 hr Patrick 4
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 15 hr NightSerf 1
•••
•••