Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8870 Nov 14, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
everyone is born a Muslim, all children are born a Muslim and innocent free from sin, even those born to a non Muslim household...
I missed that post. I'm still not sure this acknowledges the problem. The main factor that defines people's religious (and political) beliefs is the family and community in which they are raised.

Everyone is born a Muslim? Seriously, that is funny.

I can say everyone is born with the belief in fairies :) that makes just as much sense.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#8871 Nov 14, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
...Free Thinking people think for themselves and work out what is right and wrong based on ALL the evidence, including that evidence which contradicts our own beliefs. This is how we get to the real truth.
I think it is important to distinguish between belief that is a matter of degree and justified by reason and evidence (on one hand), from religious beliefs (on the other). They are quite different.

Religious beliefs are acts of faith and essentially superstitious..
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/religion
Suedo-ideology and fundamentalist beliefs, like Zionism and Islamism, are derived from acts of faith (e.g. belief in Sacred places,'Holy' books, teachings, scriptures, etc).

Our 'belief' in evolution, for example, cannot be compared to belief in Allah or the Christian 3-for-1 offer. Beliefs about evolution are based on scientific arguments and evidence, not a 'good book'.
senopaty

Jakarta, Indonesia

#8872 Nov 14, 2012
atheis are never
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8873 Nov 14, 2012
Hi EdSed, I agree. Religious beliefs are is a whole different category. Typically the believer cherry picks his or her beliefs. And then finds confirmatory evidence to confirm thos beliefs.

This is how a believer can get into a continuous circle of reinforcing beliefs with confirmatory evidence. Whilst ignoring that evidence which contradicts those beliefs. People say believers are stupid. And this may be true. But sometimes the cleverer ones are just very good at finding excuses for themselves. Self delusion.

“Penjajah Harus Menyingkir”

Since: Nov 12

Provinsi Banyumas

#8874 Nov 14, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>If you had been born a Zionist (not all Jews are Zionists) you would be as ruthless against Palestinians as you are against children who disagree with you.
Islamists and Zionists are very similar - both extremists and fundamentalist.
I disagree, islam religion of peace
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#8875 Nov 14, 2012
Adam wrote:
Hi EdSed, I agree. Religious beliefs are is a whole different category. Typically the believer cherry picks his or her beliefs. And then finds confirmatory evidence to confirm thos beliefs.
This is how a believer can get into a continuous circle of reinforcing beliefs with confirmatory evidence. Whilst ignoring that evidence which contradicts those beliefs. People say believers are stupid. And this may be true. But sometimes the cleverer ones are just very good at finding excuses for themselves. Self delusion.
This is so true.(Every time you make a point, I feel compelled to expand it. Sorry :)

Regarding religionists being clever or stupid (relative to atheists.) The mere fact of material success is not proof that someone isn't stupid (e.g. Sarah Palin?) That is one of the complications in determining who is correct about what and to what degree they know best.

Surely, nobody should wish to divide humanity into religionists and atheists (e.g. through the use of the Scouts' Promise).
http://www.humanism.org.uk/news/view/1129
Some people are more practical, intelligent, honest, energetic, productive, or good natured than others. Their religious beliefs or lack of any are not determinants of such questions.

It seems a simple fact that religion is the last bastion of superstition. It's divisive and does far more harm than good.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#8876 Nov 14, 2012
PASUKAN PETA wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree, islam religion of peace
Well, it is a pity about all the evidence to the contrary. It only takes a cartoon to set off some Muslim violence, or someone being the wrong kind of Muslim. For instance, from 1987–2007, as many as 4,000 people are estimated to have died in sectarian fighting in Pakistan,(Wiki). Pakistan only seems to exist because Indian Muslims couldn't live peacefully in India. Muslims also seem to have difficulty living with many other, other-religion majority populations..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/shiite-pr...

Saudi Arabia ...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/shiite-pr...
etx

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8877 Nov 14, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
EVERYTHING!!!!!
EVERYTHING is relative.(Einstein) Sodomy, lesbianism, attempted murder of a child, even your misguided philology.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8878 Nov 14, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
Airy Fic, kuffar!!!
Airy Fic, kuffar!!!

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#8879 Nov 14, 2012
So here you admit Muslims use acts of violence and murder, even against children to make an example and send a message to anyone who might dare step out I line.

At least you are honest about the barbaric savage nature of Islam and confirm how Islam uses violence to maintain it's numbers as I have stated.
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
That's correct.

Scottsburg, IN

#8880 Nov 14, 2012
The everyone is born a Muslim but then turns their back on it and God is their excuse to call all infidels evil and worthy to be attacked.
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I missed that post. I'm still not sure this acknowledges the problem. The main factor that defines people's religious (and political) beliefs is the family and community in which they are raised.
Everyone is born a Muslim? Seriously, that is funny.
I can say everyone is born with the belief in fairies :) that makes just as much sense.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#8882 Nov 14, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
a man can only have four wives, and his wives must know, it cannot be a secret, and with his wives he must treat them equally, like if he buys one something he needs to buy the rest the same thing or at least for the same amount(price). if he does not meet up to this standards then he will pay for extreme torment in the hereafter. its not a joke, there are consequences, majority of Muslims do not go for four wives, for this reasons... who wants to be damned in hell?
as for adultery its punishable by death. if they cheat.
they do not only bring shame, but the children will suffer mentality for their parent's deviancy
"a man can only have four wives..."

Since there is roughly a 50/50 split between men and women, a man who has 4 wives implies that 3 men will not be able to marry.

Just what do you think those 3 men will be doing if they aren't busy taking care to protect a home and children?

Provinsi Banyumas

#8883 Nov 14, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Well, it is a pity about all the evidence to the contrary. It only takes a cartoon to set off some Muslim violence, or someone being the wrong kind of Muslim. For instance, from 1987–2007, as many as 4,000 people are estimated to have died in sectarian fighting in Pakistan,(Wiki). Pakistan only seems to exist because Indian Muslims couldn't live peacefully in India. Muslims also seem to have difficulty living with many other, other-religion majority populations..
_http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=S68NP1tYUr8XX
_http://www.washingtonpost.com /world/shiite-protests-pose-ma jor-challenge-for-saudi-arabia /2012/10/18/f6157c84-13ab-11e2 -ba83-a7a396e6b2a7_story.html
Saudi Arabia ...
_http://www.washingtonpost.com /world/shiite-protests-pose-ma jor-challenge-for-saudi-arabia /2012/10/18/f6157c84-13ab-11e2 -ba83-a7a396e6b2a7_story.html
etx
incident it, because the devil hates Muslims to be a willing servant so can not be explained.

Portage, MI

#8884 Nov 14, 2012
Could you say that in English please?

Thanks
PASUKAN PETA wrote:
<quoted text>incident it, because the devil hates Muslims to be a willing servant so can not be explained.
MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#8885 Nov 15, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you have side stepped my point.
I for example was brought up to believe in Christianity. Later in life I became a Christian. I guess you were brought up to be a Muslim, and are now a Muslim.
It has nothing to do with what is right and wrong.
Free Thinking people think for themselves and work out what is right and wrong based on ALL the evidence, including that evidence which contradicts our own beliefs. This is how we get to the real truth.
If every one was to follow the religion of his or her parents, how come there came the "First Christians" and the "First Muslims"?

Did they not left the religion of their parents and entered into another religion and did hundreds of thousands of people did not leave the religion of their parents and entered into the "new faith".

Why then it should be not allowed to leave religion of your parents and enter into another faith, which is more clear, more straight forward and more beneficial to humanity?
MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#8886 Nov 15, 2012
Which “Sword” the Prophet Used against his enemies: Part-37

Enemies of Islam represent our prophet as a very cruel and blood thirsty man, who would kill his “opponents, enemies and any one who disagreed with him” at “the drop of hat” and all his adversaries would be “terrified” at the mere sight of him.

The picture is far from true, let us look at some incidents from the life of prophet, as what was “this sword which killed the enmity for ever”

The Case of : CAPTIVES OF HAWAZIN

This story also relates to the battle of HUNAIN, which we discussed above. The Tribe of HAWAZIN consisted of many sub clans, amongst which were Banu SAAD, who had given suckle to prophet when he was infant.

Prophet stayed for five to six years with these people during his infancy and his early childhood.

After battle was over, and enemy scattered, many captives were taken from the battle field along with many camels, sheep and goats etc.

Prophet waited for some days, for enemy tribes to come and talk to him about their animals and captives. When no one came he distributed them amongst Muslims.

HAWAZIN people came after some days and wanted the prophet to free their slaves….they selected a very eloquent person amongst them to present their case before prophet.

He said “O Mohammad amongst the captives and many of those who gave you suckle and their daughters and sisters, If we had given suckle to Kings of Yemen and HIRA, they would have treated us differently. Please have mercy on us and set them free…(and words of the same type”.

The prophet was moved on hearing this sermon and he asked Muslims to free their slaves without taking any thing from them. So many hundreds of slaves were set free on this command of prophet.

This was the “Sword of Mercy and Compassion” which prophet used to enslave people of HAWAZIN tribe for ever!

Which “Sword” the Prophet Used against his enemies: Part-38

The Case of : TUFAIL BIN ‘AMR DOSSI

TUFAIL was well respected chief of DOSS clan, that lived near Yemen. Once he came to Makkah for UMRAH, that was the period when prophet had declared his mission and Makkan people had decided to warn any newcomer of the “dangers” he posed to innocent and unsuspecting foreign visitors to Makkah!

On the outskirts of Makkah TUFAIL met some Makkah people, who asked him from where he came, he introduced himself, and they warned to be careful of a “possessed man” who causes separation between husbands and wives and between fathers and sons. So much so that he put cotton in his ears, so as to not even listen the words of Prophet!

When TUFAIL entered Kaaba, he found prophet standing in one corner in prayers and reciting from Quran. TUFAIL went near and he heard some words of what prophet was reciting, but due to cotton in his ears, he was unable to hear properly.

“Oh what a fool I am” thought TUFAIL , what harm can mere words do, I will listen and decide myself, if they are good or evil. So he removed cotton from his ears and listened attentively to Quran. After finishing prayers prophet left for his home and TUFAIL followed him.

He talked to prophet and learned about the message of Islam and became his follower. Then he went to his own town and due to his efforts, his father, his wife and some of his friends. But most people of his tribe did not accept Islam. TUFAIL came to prophet and complained about their behavior and asked prophet to curse these people.

Prophet raised his hands in prayer,“Now bad time has come on DOSS Tribe” though TUFAIL. But Prophet said “O Allah guide DOSS” Two or three times. Then he asked TUFAIL to go back and invite his people to Islam in softly and with wisdom. This time most people of DOSS tribe became Muslim.

This was the “Sword of Quran” Most Potent of all Swords which people used on TUFAIL to enslave him for ever!!

Source: Companions of Prophet: by Talib Hashmi

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#8887 Nov 15, 2012
Adam wrote:
so. you DO NOT cherry pick what you choose to believe?

if not ,who does choose for you?

Provinsi Banyumas

#8888 Nov 15, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Could you say that in English please?
Thanks
<quoted text>
we take the core teachings of Islam is not a culture war muhammad saw, war is the nature of evil.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8889 Nov 15, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why then it should be not allowed to leave religion of your parents and enter into another faith, which is more clear, more straight forward and more beneficial to humanity?
I may suprise you in that I in small part agree. Islam from what I know is more clear and straight forward that Christianity. I view it as Unitarianism, a more simple form of belief.

That doesnt however mean that its true. You face the same problems that Christians do. i.e. God does not answer prayers. GOd has not written a holy book. And God has not spoken through any prophets.

I can expect your defence mechanism to kick in at this point. But understand that we here are absolute infidels. Allah is no more real to us than fairies living at the bottom of my garden.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8890 Nov 15, 2012
PASUKAN PETA wrote:
<quoted text>we take the core teachings of Islam is not a culture war muhammad saw, war is the nature of evil.
I agree war is a bad thing. So why does God refuse to answer prayers when people are killed and suffering. For example the "chosen people" were gassed in their millions in world war 2. God did nothing. Why does God do nothing? Cause he is imaginary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 8 min lightbeamrider 1,753
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Hedonist Heretic 57,831
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr nanoanomaly 27,240
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 128
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 5,954
god belief down to 28% in UK 8 hr Eagle 12 123
carbon 14 dating very inaccurate (Jun '12) 8 hr Eagle 12 72
More from around the web