Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8764 Nov 13, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
..You see that is a society where people behave like barbaric animals because they follow a barbaric animal prophet and Islam. <quoted text>
I think MUQ is a fundamentalist. The thing is the fundamentalist muslim wants to blow himself and others up. The fundamentalist christian wants to turn america into a theocracy like saudi arabia. The "fundamentalist" Atheist simply demands evidence.

Yet its the Atheists that upset him because we dont believe in fairy tales, and imaginary beings.

“Coaching pos. available ”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#8765 Nov 13, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think MUQ is a fundamentalist. The thing is the fundamentalist muslim wants to blow himself and others up. The fundamentalist christian wants to turn america into a theocracy like saudi arabia. The "fundamentalist" Atheist simply demands evidence.
Yet its the Atheists that upset him because we dont believe in fairy tales, and imaginary beings.
Your THEORY on evolution has the same credibility as if a large junk yard exploded and all of the junk pieces fell in to perfect order and assembled a Boeing 747. How's that for a "fairy tale?"

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#8766 Nov 13, 2012
MUQ wrote:
CIA director David Petraeus quits over extramarital affair
WASHINGTON: David Petraeus, the retired four-star general renowned for taking charge of the military campaigns in Iraq and then Afghanistan, abruptly resigned on Friday as director of the CIA, admitting to an extramarital affair.
The affair was discovered during an FBI investigation, according to officials briefed on the developments. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter. It was unclear what the FBI was investigating or when it became aware of the affair.
Petraeus' resignation shocked Washington's intelligence and political communities. It was a sudden end to the public career of the best-known general of the post 9/11 wars, a man credited with salvaging the US conflict in Iraq and sometimes mentioned as a potential Republican presidential candidate. His service was effusively praised on Friday in statements from both Republican and Democratic lawmakers.
Petraeus, who turned 60 on Wednesday, told CIA employees in a statement that he had met with President Barack Obama at the White House on Thursday and asked to be allowed to resign. On Friday, the president accepted.
Petraeus told his staffers he was guilty of "extremely poor judgment" in the affair. "Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours."
He has been married for 38 years to Holly Petraeus, whom he met when he was a cadet at the US Military Academy at West Point, New York. She was the daughter of the academy superintendent. They have two children, and their son led an infantry platoon in Afghanistan.
Obama said in a statement that the retired general had provided "extraordinary service to the United States for decades" and had given a lifetime of service that "made our country safer and stronger." Obama called him "one of the outstanding general officers of his generation."
The resignation comes at a sensitive time. The administration and the CIA have struggled to defend security and intelligence lapses before the attack that killed the US ambassador to Libya and three others. It was an issue during the presidential campaign that ended with Obama's re-election on Tuesday.
Petraeus, who became CIA director in September 2011, was known as a shrewd thinker and hard-charging competitor. His management style was recently lauded in a Newsweek article by Paula Broadwell, co-author of the biography, "All In: The Education of General David Petraeus."
..Bush sent Petraeus to Iraq in February 2007, at the peak of sectarian violence, to turn things around as head of U.S. forces. He oversaw an influx of 30,000 US troops and moved troops out of big bases so they could work more closely with Iraqi forces scattered throughout Baghdad.
Petraeus' success was credited with paving the way for the eventual US withdrawal.
PS:
a. There is something black at the bottom.
b. CIA Chiefs do not resign because of extra marital affairs when the Presidents of USA do not resign because of such acts.
c. Why is it a “crime” to have extra marital affairs, if you go to “sensitive” posts?
I'm only going to address point c.

It's not a crime in the US to have an affair (so much for one of the big ten commandments of the bible. Coveting a neighbor's wife/etc).

However, the nature of affairs is a secretive thing that can open you up to extortion.

That is why affairs can jeopardize your career with sensitive positions.

Had Petraeus declared I'm going to boink Jenna Jamison and my wife is okay with that, from a security standpoint no big deal. But the howling about "god's" morality from the bible thumpers... that might be almost but not nearly so bad from the Koran thumpers.

In their eyes, only a stoning for the other woman would be acceptable. As well as beheading Petraeus in chop-chop square after the Friday noon services are done.

Nehwon

#8767 Nov 13, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. This is your SUBJECTIVE opinion and your “Judgment against me” does not count, So I will not take your decision as of any value.
02. Again you got the wrong definition of “religious people”…. A religious man is one who follows the teaching of his or her religion to the best of their capabilities.
So a “religious person” shall not kill any innocent man, women or children.
In Islam killing of “innocent soul without HAQQ (i.e. Due process of law”) is one the Biggest of Big sin” there is no ambiguity in it, so a “Muslim religious man” will not have his hands soiled with the blood of innocent people.
One whose hands are soiled with such blood, cannot be a “True religious person”. This is as clear as day light.
03. I am not ashamed that English is not first language. Why should I? All languages are equally beautiful and have same rights.
Only Arabic has a preference for Muslims, because it is the language of Quran and the language of our prophet and it is Arabic in which Basic Islamic literature is recorded and preserved,
I am a national of India and I was taught English from 6th Standards….. I am proficient in English language by any Indian standard and I do not care if you raise finger at my English proficiency.
If I am able to get my ideas transmitted, I do a good job.
Compare to what I write in English, if I verify your skills in Arabic,. Hindi or Urdu, you will not be able to do it even 10 % of what I am able to achieve.
04. Again your “biased judgment” that my ideas fail on merit, lacks any authority.
01. So why is your argument true? I could easily say the same thing about you and all we have is a stalemate.

02. If all organized religion behind holy books has taught me, it's that those religious books have considerable leeway into declaring who is innocent and guilty. And the innocent can easily be found guilty. In religion, there are no innocents.

03(a). You misinterpreted what I said. You are doing much better in English than I could in your native language. The other side for you is that you may be choosing a poor word to express your idea.

03(b). I've heard that the Qu'ran is best understood in the original Arabic language. Some words don't translate well into other languages. But that also says something about the Universal nature of god now, doesn't it? Why should language be a barrier to god's word?

04. Just because you say so does not mean your ideas have merit. And so far, your cut-n-paste stuff is no more convincing than a zealot of a cult.

Nehwon

#8768 Nov 13, 2012
EdSed wrote:
I think it is important not to tar all Muslims and the whole of Islam with the same brush. I think Islam is plainly ridiculous, but it is important to understand the motives of Muq and other fundamentalists. That is not the view of most Muslims who see Muq as un-islamic. Where we agree with most Muslims is that the fundamentalists like Muq are motivated by ignorance and stupidity.
He might not simply be the product of his environment. The 7/7 bombers were home-grown and Mohammed Atta and Bin Laden were well-educated and had experienced Western culture. Clearly, there is a genetic component to fundamentalists leanings. That is not to say that their stupidity and ignorance are inherited,(though it might have been). The point is there is something inherent in their nature to be fundamentalist. Muq is Islamic because that was what he has been taught, but I imagine he might agree with people like Derek if he had been raised in the USA.
Now here's the problem. Religion is a personal journey of discovery of what makes sense to you. Keyword is "personal."

This is fine and dandy as long as it's a discussion/argument/dispute of ideas. The minute one desires to cease that discussion by law and by the forces of law is when it becomes a big problem.

I see MUQ as no different than the American Christian Taliban. They are free to go on their own journey but they damn well better not force everyone else to follow them.

Since: Mar 11

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#8769 Nov 13, 2012
I agree and let's just hope Muq isn't involved in any honor killings this week. I wonder if any of his wives are 9 and younger?
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>

Nehwon

#8770 Nov 13, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
i am not against education at all. she must have crossed then line, she was probably preaching about kuffar and glorying them.
"she must have crossed then line"

An all too telling statement.

You make the assumption that she did wrong. And that's why you are a terrible person worthy of Hell.

Nehwon

#8771 Nov 13, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
evolution is not a fact, if so why is there a missing link?(links)
Helpful hint here.

Before you post your super argument denouncing evolution, check out if your childish idea hasn't already been addressed here:

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs.html

(You'll probably want to check out the Index to Creationist Claims section.)

This will save a lot of time and posting showing just how wrong you are about the Theory of Evolution and the fact of evolution.

Since: Mar 11

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#8772 Nov 13, 2012
Muq and heba have their turban and burka wrapped too tight! It's not letting blood flow to the brain!

Did you know Muslims unwrap their turban to use for toilet paper? After wiping they fling it out a bit and wrap it back up :)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#8773 Nov 13, 2012
Currahee 409 wrote:
<quoted text>Your THEORY on evolution has the same credibility as if a large junk yard exploded and all of the junk pieces fell in to perfect order and assembled a Boeing 747. How's that for a "fairy tale?"
Now that's an original one. Sheesh, you're like the redneck christian moron who just discovered the internet.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8775 Nov 13, 2012
Currahee 409, the theory of evolution is proven. Unless you think yahweh put those fossils in the ground just to mislead us :) We are all large brained hairless evolved apes. Get over it already.
ya heba

Annandale, Australia

#8776 Nov 13, 2012
dinglehopper wrote:
<quoted text>
What hand do you wipe your arse with?
I use toilet paper and suggest you do to.
which hand do you use to wipe with the toilet paper?
ya heba

Annandale, Australia

#8777 Nov 13, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I do understand you POV, really. Do you honestly think it's an effective idea for people to "be good" under promise of heaven or threat of hellfire? Do we have to bow to mystical, magical supernatural entities to be upstanding citizens?
Must we follow all the do's and don'ts of every complex religious structure to a T to be considered decent folk?
Finally and foremost, do we have to do everything on faith??? That is dangerous and robs us of personal responsibility and the ability to use personal judgement.....just drink the kool-aid and have faith, eh?
Tell you what; keep the Jehovah's Witnesses from my door, keep clergymen from stalking hospital corridors in search of fresh meat and specifically tell churches to stay out of politics and pushing their views on others through laws.....and I'll consider not villifying religion anymore;0) Deal?
without religion and God, you are animals. that's why the Godless one's are miserable. immorality becomes widespread. suicide rates are sky high because you are miserable.
ya heba

Annandale, Australia

#8778 Nov 13, 2012
MUQ wrote:
Lockheed Martin chief fired for relationship with employee
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world
WASHINGTON: Lockheed Martin sacked its president and chief executive-in-waiting Christopher Kubasik on Friday over an unauthorized "close personal relationship" with an employee of the company.
The company said it took the action after an ethics investigation confirmed the "improper conduct" which violated the powerful defense contractor's code of ethics.
The board of directors "asked for and received" Kubasik's resignation effective immediately, the company said in a statement.
Kubasik, 51, was replaced immediately by Marillyn Hewson, the executive vice president of Lockheed's electronic systems business area. The board announced she would also assume the post of CEO on January 1.
"While I am deeply disappointed and saddened by Chris' actions, which have been inconsistent with our values and standards, our swift response to his improper conduct demonstrates our unyielding commitment to holding every employee accountable for their actions," said chairman and outgoing chief executive Robert Stevens.
Hewson has been with Lockheed since 1983, and was already designated the next president and chief operating officer pending Kubasik's planned rise to CEO in January.
The news came shortly after the stunning but unrelated resignation Friday of famed US general David Petraeus from his position as director of the Central Intelligence Agency after he admitted having an extramarital affair with an unnamed woman.
PS:
Comments from MUQ:
a. What he did which Bill Clinton did not do?
b. Why Different standards for the two?
c.Look at what “High Moral Standards” these Firms expect for their Chiefs and CEO s…. and yet they believe that God when choosing His prophets went for a “Much Lower Standard”!!
true, TRUE, immorality is widespread in these Godless nations. what's good is bad and what bad is good. i mean Bastardised children are it thing now.

TO: ATHEISTS & THE LIKES.

Bastardised kids will forever remain BASTARDS!!!
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8779 Nov 13, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
without religion and God, you are animals. that's why the Godless one's are miserable. immorality becomes widespread. suicide rates are sky high because you are miserable.
You yourself are an animal. And you are without god except in your imagination because he is imaginary.

Incorrect. I am just as happy and at peace than when I was as a christian. Religion brought me confusion and superstitious thinking. Immorality? Have a look at the bible or the quran. Nothing is more immoral than infinite punishment for not believing lies and fairy tales. How perverse to imagine a deity which is akin to a nazi concentration camp general. Some very twisted and immoral minds thought that up.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8780 Nov 13, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
immorality is widespread in these Godless nations.
Our morality today is far far superior to the primitive desert nomads of the bronze age.

This is why in the so called holy books they believe in slavery, racism, sexism, homophobia, and the pages are drenched in blood and horric crimes.

It is time we put the morality of these primitive goat herders into the past where it belongs.
ya heba

Annandale, Australia

#8781 Nov 13, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Again Muq had the director been a Muslim in a Muslim country he could just have had a cleric say by the prophet you are his 38th wife and that would be that. If she had a 9 year old daughter that girl could be wife 39 and he have sex with her as well just like the prophet Muhammad.
Instead he was born and lives in a civilized society and after being caught doing something looked down upon in a civilized society he stepped down.
In your country a woman can get gang raped and her rapists be praised by the Muslim authorities and the victim whipped in the street. You see that is a society where people behave like barbaric animals because they follow a barbaric animal prophet and Islam. Understand now?
In Islam you can gun down a 14 year old child if he says something that irritates you and be praised as a hero. In civilized societies you would be jailed for life. In Islam you can have sex with 9 year old children and be praised as a hero. In civilized societies you would be jailed for decades.
In Islam you can catch a woman meeting with her fiancé to discuss arrangements for their wedding beat him and gang rape her because they were meeting in private even though they were not having sex and this is fine. Beat the man and gang rape the virgin girl over and over again and then hand her over to be brutally whipped in public. In a civilized society the rapists would be jailed not praised as following the prophet.
All of these examples fall under the rule of sharia law which you admit you endorse.
Do you understand the difference and why reasonable civilized people will for the most part shun your barbaric religion?
<quoted text>
a man can only have four wives, and his wives must know, it cannot be a secret, and with his wives he must treat them equally, like if he buys one something he needs to buy the rest the same thing or at least for the same amount(price). if he does not meet up to this standards then he will pay for extreme torment in the hereafter. its not a joke, there are consequences, majority of Muslims do not go for four wives, for this reasons... who wants to be damned in hell?

as for adultery its punishable by death. if they cheat.
they do not only bring shame, but the children will suffer mentality for their parent's deviancy
ya heba

Annandale, Australia

#8782 Nov 13, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Again Muq had the director been a Muslim in a Muslim country he could just have had a cleric say by the prophet you are his 38th wife and that would be that. If she had a 9 year old daughter that girl could be wife 39 and he have sex with her as well just like the prophet Muhammad.
Instead he was born and lives in a civilized society and after being caught doing something looked down upon in a civilized society he stepped down.
In your country a woman can get gang raped and her rapists be praised by the Muslim authorities and the victim whipped in the street. You see that is a society where people behave like barbaric animals because they follow a barbaric animal prophet and Islam. Understand now?
In Islam you can gun down a 14 year old child if he says something that irritates you and be praised as a hero. In civilized societies you would be jailed for life. In Islam you can have sex with 9 year old children and be praised as a hero. In civilized societies you would be jailed for decades.
In Islam you can catch a woman meeting with her fiancé to discuss arrangements for their wedding beat him and gang rape her because they were meeting in private even though they were not having sex and this is fine. Beat the man and gang rape the virgin girl over and over again and then hand her over to be brutally whipped in public. In a civilized society the rapists would be jailed not praised as following the prophet.
All of these examples fall under the rule of sharia law which you admit you endorse.
Do you understand the difference and why reasonable civilized people will for the most part shun your barbaric religion?
<quoted text>
the rapist gets hanged, the one raped gets lashess, she probably brought on herself. but of course with all things like this their has to be witnesses.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#8783 Nov 13, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
a man can only have four wives, and his wives must know,
How PRIMITIVE, sexist and idiot. Funny isnt it, how the writings of these "holy" books are by primitive goat herders. God in his wisdom choses to give his "revelations" to the most primitive backward illiterate, barbaric and superstitious people on the planet.

Isnt it more feasible that god is imaginary and that these religions and gods are man made. Man made by primitive and superstitious people.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#8784 Nov 13, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
the rapist gets hanged, the one raped gets lashess, she probably brought on herself. but of course with all things like this their has to be witnesses.
"She probably brought it on herself"

wow

Are you a psycho Muslim or a radical Christian senate candidate? So hard to tell these days...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 25 min Eagle 12 27,275
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 58 min Subduction Zone 58,089
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 4 hr Dogen 1,904
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Eagle 12 5,962
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 5 hr Eagle 12 4,947
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 6 hr Eagle 12 1,940
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 8 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 153
More from around the web